Amazon Fire Stick, a device for home entertainment, is compatible with VPN services. However, you might wonder why you would need a VPN for your TV in the first place. Well, to stream your favorite shows, of course.
You see, a VPN lets you unblock geo-restricted content, and Surfshark VPN is an exceptionally great choice for this. It offers some of the best speeds in the market and has servers in 100 countries. You can unblock content virtually anywhere.
In this article, I’m going to show you how to install Surfshark on Fire Stick step by step. You’ll also find out why Surfshark is the best choice for a Fire Stick. If there are any issues, this article will help you solve them as well.
Install Surfshark VPN on Fire Stick: a quick guide
- Get a Surfshark plan from the VPN's official website
- Find the Search icon on your Fire Stick and type in Surfshark
- Install Surfshark VPN and connect to a secure network
- Enjoy your private experience!
Why choose Surfshark to unblock Amazon Fire Stick?
If there’s anything that should go on the list of the best VPN providers, it sure is Surfshark. Here’s why Surfshark is the best decision for Amazon Fire Stick:
- Supported by Amazon. Surfshark is available on the Amazon store and can even be sideloaded onto the Fire Stick.
- Unlimited connections. Not only can you access geo-restricted content on your TV, but you can also do that (and much more) on all of your other devices.
- Unblocks most geo-restricted services. Surfshark lets you access content on Netflix, Amazon Prime, or even any sports channel that isn’t available in your country.
- Clean web. Malicious ads and suspicious websites are super annoying. Surfshark makes sure you don’t get to experience them. You can watch content without being disturbed by pop-up ads and redirects.
- Extremely fast speeds. We tested Surfshark’s speeds and found out that it’s one of the fastest VPN services on the market. You get to enjoy your favorite shows without being bothered with constant buffering.
- Lots of servers. Surfshark has servers in 100 countries around the globe. You know what that means - content from all over the world in your home.
- Privacy. Surfshark values protection of your information, so it has an audited no-log policy. It means that the VPN provider doesn’t track what you’re doing online. So, your information cannot be given away as it isn’t stored anywhere.
To find out more, read our in-depth Surfshark VPN review.
How to Install Surfshark VPN on Fire Stick or Fire TV
Although it’s not difficult to install Surfshark VPN on Fire Stick or Fire TV, there are a few ways to do it. You can either download it from the Amazon store or sideload it. Here’s how to do it step by step with both methods:
Method #1: Download Surfshark from the Amazon store
The fastest way to get Surfshark for your Fire Stick or Fire TV is through the Amazon store. Here’s how to do it:
1. First, you need to install Surfshark VPN from the Amazon store. Click on the Homepage of Fire TV. Navigate to the "Search" bar and type "Surfshark".
2. Click on the Surfshark app in the search results and press the "Get" button to download Surfshark. When the download is completed, the app will be installed automatically.
3. Once the installation is complete, you can either click "Open" or press the Burger menu symbol ("☰") on your remote to launch the application.
4. If you have an account, all you need to do is log in. If you don’t, then press “Create account” and follow the instructions to register.
5. You can also log in on your mobile device. All you need to do is open the Surfshark app on your phone and go to "Settings". Click on "My Account" and then press "TV login". On your TV, you’ll find a code. Insert the code on your mobile application.
6. You’ve successfully installed Surfshark VPN and now all you need to do is connect to a server.
Tap the "Connect" button and the app will instantly connect to the fastest server available. When connecting to a VPN server for the first time, accept the connection request in the pop-up window. This will allow the Surfshark app to manage the VPN tunnel.
7. You can also choose the default connection. Click on the three lines (☰) next to the Connect button.
8. Choose either the "Fastest server" or the "Nearest country" option.
9. When you connect, you should see a green field that says “Connected” on your Surfshark’s homepage. If you can see it, it means you’re secured.
Method #2: Sideload the app on your Fire Stick
If for some reason you can’t install Surfshark through the Amazon store, you can also sideload the app. All you need to do is:
1. Since you’re sideloading the app, you need to allow installation of unknown sources. To do that, go to the Fire TV Stick Homepage and scroll to Settings. Click on "My Fire TV".
2. Scroll down and select "Developer options".
3. Find the “Apps from Unknown Sources” section and click on it.
4. In the pop-up message, select "Turn On".
5. Now that you’ve allowed installation from other sources, you need to install the Downloader app. Go to the Homepage and navigate to the Search bar. Type in "Downloader".
6. Click on the "Downloader" and install it. Once it’s installed, open it.
7. On the Home page of the Downloader, you’ll see the field “Enter the URL of the website you want to load or the file you want to download”. Type in “https://downloads.surfshark.com/android/Surfshark.apk” to download Sursfhark. Be aware that the URL is case-sensitive.
8. Wait until the app is downloaded. Click "Install" in the pop-up window.
9. Once the installation is complete, go to the Homepage. Scroll to “Your apps & channels” and click "See All".
10. Navigate to the Surfshark app and open it. Follow the login procedure explained in Method 1 and connect.
That’s it. Whichever method you choose, all you need to do is install and login to the application, and click the Connect button. It’s as easy as that.
What to do if Surfshark is not working on Fire Stick?
Some users can experience issues when using Surfshark VPN on the Amazon Fire TV Stick. You might have some trouble logging in, connecting, or your connection might be unstable. This is usually caused by certain ISPs (Internet service providers), such as BT, Virgin media, or Sky. Don’t worry, though, there are a few ways it can be fixed.
If you have no problem logging in to Surfshark, try changing the Protocol in Surfshark’s Settings. If it doesn’t help, you can send diagnostics to Surfshark’s developers. After that, reinstall the app from the Amazon store or sideload it.
For more information, follow these instructions on How to fix connectivity issues on Fire TV Stick. The last thing you can do is contact Surfshark’s customer support if nothing else works.
Can I use the free version of Surfshark with Fire Stick?
Unfortunately, Surfshark doesn’t have a free version available for its users, but what they do offer is a free 7-day trial. Once you register and insert your payment details, you’ll only be charged after 7 days. So, if for some reason you end up not liking the service, you can cancel it before the free trial ends.
Keep in mind that the free 7-day trial is only available on Android and iOS devices. No need to worry, though. After you download the app, you’ll then be able to use it on other devices as well, including Amazon Fire Stick.
More VPN guides:
Does Surfshark VPN work with Amazon Fire Stick?
Yes, Surfshark VPN works with Amazon Fire Stick. You can either download Surfshark VPN straight from the Amazon store or sideload it directly onto Fire Stick. If you experience issues and it doesn’t work, it could be because of your internet service provider. Depending on who your provider is, you should try changing the protocol.
Does Surfshark work with Netflix on Fire Stick?
Yes, you can stream Netflix on Amazon Fire Stick with Surfshark VPN. If, however, it doesn’t work, try changing the protocol of your internet service provider. Also, try clearing your cache, restarting your router, checking for DNS leaks, and reconnecting to a different server.
Can I use Surfshark on a first-generation Fire Stick?
No, Surfshark VPN isn’t supported on a first-generation Fire Stick. Surfshark is only supported on 2nd-Gen, 4K, and 3rd-Gen versions.