Elden Ring is an increasingly popular role-playing online game that has become the most tweeted-about game of 2022. However, players often encounter a range of frustrating issues, such as DDoS attacks, lag, and ISP throttling.
Happily, there is a secure solution to all of these problems and more: you just need a strong VPN, which will protect you from DDoS attacks while encrypting your traffic so your ISP can’t throttle your speeds. It’ll also allow you to connect to a less crowded server to increase your speeds and will enable you to unblock the game on restricted networks.
Our guide will suggest the best VPNs for Elden Ring and give you tips and tricks for using a VPN while gaming. Let’s get started.
Best Elden Ring VPNs:
- NordVPN – best VPN for Elden Ring
- Surfshark – fastest VPN for buffer-free gaming
- IPVanish – robust protection from DDoS attacks
- PrivateVPN – strong provider to help you avoid ISP throttling
- PureVPN – cheap solution with excellent security features
Why do I need a VPN for playing Elden Ring?
Using a VPN while playing Elden Ring comes with a load of helpful benefits, such as:
- Keeping you safe from DDoS attacks. Since a VPN hides your real IP address, other Elden Ring users won’t be able to obtain any information about you, which will protect you from becoming the target of a cyberattack.
- Lowering lag. Given Elden Ring’s increasing popularity, its servers can become pretty crowded, leading to slow and sluggish speeds for its gamers. By using a VPN, you can connect to a less crowded server and enjoy faster speeds.
- Avoiding ISP throttling. ISPs will often deliberately slow down speeds for users who are doing things online that require a lot of bandwidth, such as gaming. But a VPN will allow you to avoid this by encrypting your traffic so your ISP can’t see what you’re doing, which means it won’t be able to throttle your speeds.
- Gaming safely on public Wi-Fi. Using public Wi-Fi can be a great way of saving data, but it can come with security risks. This is not something to worry about if you use a reliable VPN. Each comes with a host of security tools to keep you safe online.
- Playing with gamers in other locations. A VPN gives you the freedom to connect to servers in other parts of the world, which means you’ll be able to connect with other users in different regions.
- Accessing the game on a restricted network. If your school or workplace has blocked Elden Ring, you can use a VPN to get around the firewall and play it wherever you are.
- Avoiding an IP ban. If you’ve been banned from Elden Ring, a VPN will give you a fresh IP address, so you can set up a different account and continue playing.
Best VPNs for Elden Ring – our detailed list
In our search for the best VPNs for Elden Ring, we tested out a wide range of providers. We particularly focused on ensuring they delivered fast gaming speeds and top-notch security to help you avoid DDoS attacks. On top of this, we also checked that they had a fleet of high-quality international servers and were able to avoid ISP throttling.
So, without further preamble, here’s our list of the best VPNs for Elden Ring in 2022.
1. NordVPN – best Elden Ring VPN
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 59 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 68% OFF + 3 months FREE 🔥|
If you want a VPN to keep you safe while gaming without compromising on speeds, NordVPN could be the provider for you. To start with, it has more than 5500 secure servers in 59 countries around the world, so you’ll be spoilt for choice for uncrowded servers for a faster Elden Ring load time. It’ll also allow you to play against gamers from other parts of the world.
More importantly, though, NordVPN has the most robust security we’ve ever found on a VPN, so it’s the safest choice you could find. As part of this, you’ll get AES-256 encryption, as well as a highly-customizable kill switch to ensure your data is safe from accidental leaks. Plus, it’s subject to regular independent audits, so you can have complete peace of mind.
It’s fast, too, thanks to its NordLynx protocol, which delivers consistently fast speeds that are ideal for gaming.
If you’re tempted to try it out, NordVPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. After that, subscriptions start from just $3.09 per month. And if you want an even better price, be sure to check out our NordVPN coupon codes for a further discount!
To find out more, check out our detailed NordVPN review.
- Complete protection from DDoS attacks
- Impressive quality and quantity of servers
- NordLynx delivers fast, smooth speeds
- Strongest security around
- Best VPN for unblocking region-restricted content
- Doesn’t have a dedicated router app
2. Surfshark – fastest VPN for buffer-free gaming
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 99 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥|
If you’re looking for a VPN that won’t slow down your gaming experience, Surfshark is the best choice. When testing, it consistently delivered the fastest speeds, making it a fantastic choice for online gaming.
Although its monthly costs are low, Surfshark boasts over 3200 servers in 99 countries globally. Therefore, you can use it to connect to a less crowded server, as well as play co-op with gamers from other parts of the world.
Aside from this, Surfshark has exemplary security credentials that will protect you from cyberattacks. This includes AES-256 encryption, two-factor authentication, and DNS leak protection.
And as if this wasn’t good enough, a subscription to Surfshark comes with unlimited simultaneous connections, so you can use it on every single one of your devices at once.
If you’d like to test it out, Surfshark offers a 30-day money-back guarantee when you sign up. Once that’s expired, plans start from just $2.30 a month. To make it an even more attractive offer, we have exclusive discounts for Surfshark!
If you’d like to find out more, we’d recommend reading our comprehensive Surshark VPN review.
- Fastest VPN you can find
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Robust security features
- Strong fleet of international servers
- Not quite as good on iOS devices
3. IPVanish – robust protection from DDoS attacks
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 69% OFF IPVanish + Antivirus 🔥|
Anyone looking for a strong, well-rounded VPN should consider choosing IPVanish. It has a robust offering of more than 2000 secure servers in 50 countries across the globe, so it’ll be easy to find a quiet server to speed up your gaming. You also won’t have any problems connecting with players from other regions accessing geo-blocked content.
Additionally, if you want a VPN that will keep you safe from DDoS attacks, IPVanish won’t let you down. It has one of the best security suites around, with a SOCKS5 proxy, DNS leak protection, and a highly customizable kill switch to ensure you don’t experience any data leaks.
It’s no slouch either, delivering consistently fast, reliable speeds that will ensure a buttery smooth gaming experience. And to make it even better value, you also get unlimited simultaneous connections, so you and your family can use it at the same time.
If you’d like to test it out before committing to a lengthy payment plan, IPVanish offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, after which subscriptions start at just $3.33 per month. And we’ve got some exclusive IPVanish deals to get you the best price.
For further information, be sure to read our full IPVanish review.
- Impressive security
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Consistent speeds that won’t slow down gamers
- Reliable servers
- Pricing increases after the first year
4. PrivateVPN – strong provider to help you avoid ISP throttling
|Servers/countries:||200+ servers in 63 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PrivateVPN, now 85% OFF! 🔥|
If you don’t want anyone to see your online information, PrivateVPN is as good as it sounds. As the name suggests, it prioritizes robust security and privacy protection at a price that won’t break the bank.
Although it has a comparatively small offering of 200 servers in 63 countries internationally, the ones it does have are completely secure. This means that you can connect to one of them to enjoy faster gaming speeds and anonymous browsing.
And when it comes to anonymity, PrivateVPN has a range of tools in its armory to protect you from cybercriminals. One impressive feature is customizable encryption, which allows you to configure the settings based on what you need. Aside from this, it also has HTTP and SOCKS5 proxies, as well as support for port forwarding.
And to make this an even more tempting option, PrivateVPN gives you 6 simultaneous connections, which means you can have it set up on several devices at the same time without paying extra.
If you’d like to try it before you buy, PrivateVPN has a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee. Once that’s up, plans start at just $2.00 per month.
Learn more by reading our thorough PrivateVPN review.
- Sophisticated security tools
- Fast speeds for buffer-free gaming
- Customizable encryption
- 6 simultaneous connections
- No support for split tunneling
- The smallest fleet of servers on our list
5. PureVPN – cheap solution with excellent security features
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||6500+ servers in 78 countries|
|Simultaneous connections:||10 devices|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PureVPN 82% OFF + 3 months FREE 🔥|
Anyone who’s looking for a cheap VPN that doesn’t skimp on security features should look at PureVPN. Despite its low monthly cost, it has a lot to offer, including over 6500 secure servers in 78 countries globally. Evidently, you’ll have no problems finding quiet servers to play Elden Ring.
But beyond that, PureVPN has many excellent security features to keep your identity completely hidden, like AES-256 encryption and a tried-and-tested kill switch that will guard against accidental data leaks. And to cement its reputation for delivering complete anonymity to its users, it also undergoes constant independent auditing.
During our research, we found that PureVPN offered reliably fast speeds that didn’t slow down our gameplay. And it comes with 10 simultaneous connections, making it one of the most competitive VPNs on the market.
If this has tempted you to try it out, PureVPN has a 31-day money-back guarantee. And after that’s finished, prices start from a mere $1.99 per month.
If you’d like to find out more information about this provider, be sure to read through our expert opinion in our PureVPN review.
- Massive fleet of servers
- Low monthly costs
- Support for torrenting
- Constant independent audits
- Simple, intuitive app
- Limited app for Linux
- Not all features are compatible with WireGuard
How we selected and tested these VPNs
When testing out solutions to find the best VPNs for Elden Ring, we paid particular attention to the following criteria:
- Fast and reliable speeds for gaming. As anyone who’s used to playing Elden Ring will know, even a second’s lag could result in defeat. Therefore, we made sure that each of our recommended providers offers consistently fast speeds to give you the best chance of beating your opponents.
- A fleet of high-quality servers. Any VPN worth its salt has a strong offering of secure international servers. This will give you options to connect to uncrowded servers, as well as to play with users from other countries.
- Robust security. If you’re an online gamer, you should opt for a VPN that can protect you from DDoS attacks. NordVPN is the most secure VPN we’ve tested, so it’s an ideal option for Elden Ring.
- The ability to unblock region-restricted content. If you ever get bored of playing Elden Ring, you might want the option to access other geo-blocked content. So it’s important to have one that can unblock a range of sites and services.
- Good value for money. If you’re signing up for any long-term subscription plan, it’s important to know you’re getting good value for money. And we made sure that each of our recommended options gives you a lot of bang for your buck.
How to play Elden Ring with a VPN without lag
A VPN is a fantastic tool to stabilize your ping while playing Elden Ring. And it’s easy to set up! All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Choose a reliable VPN with secure servers. We recommend NordVPN for this. It has 5500 servers around the world.
- Download and install the software.
- Connect to a secure server in the location you want to play in.
- Download or launch Elden Ring.
- Have fun playing Elden Ring without lag!
What causes Elden Ring to lag?
There are loads of reasons why Elden Ring could be lagging. It could be, for example, that the server you’re connected to is overcrowded or not working well. Equally, it may be that your ISP has deliberately throttled your speeds because your online gaming is taking up too much bandwidth.
Whatever the issue, a VPN is likely to fix the problem. Although this may seem counterintuitive, as a VPN works by routing traffic through a secure tunnel, a reliable VPN can help to reduce your ping, fix packet loss, and stabilize the jitter, leading to faster and more reliable speeds when gaming.
How to bypass a connection error on Elden Ring
If you’re getting a connection error on Elden Ring, here are a few possible solutions you can try:
- Check if the servers are down. Since Elden Ring has snowballed in popularity, its servers can become overloaded, resulting in you receiving a connection error message.
- Use a secure VPN. Whether your server is overcrowded or you’re having other issues, using a reliable VPN will allow you to change your location and IP address. This could bypass the problem and help you avoid connection error messages.
- Check your internet connection. To get the most out of Elden Ring, you’ll need a fast and stable internet connection. Try switching your router off and on again. If that doesn’t improve the speeds, use a wired ethernet cable to guarantee the best possible experience.
- Update your graphics card drivers. If you’re experiencing connection errors, the reason could be as simple as needing to update your graphics card drivers to the latest version.
- Temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall. It may be that your security measures are blocking the game. If you disable both and relaunch the game, this may solve the problem.
Can't play Elden Ring even with a VPN? Possible fixes
A VPN should improve your gaming experience on Elden Ring. But if you’re still getting an error message, you should try the following solutions:
- Ensure you have leak protection is enabled. If your real IP address has leaked, it could potentially interfere with the game. But enabling leak protection via your VPN will fix this issue.
- Connect to a different server. If the server you’ve connected to is overcrowded, in the wrong location, or temporarily down, switching to a different server should resolve the problem.
- Reinstall the VPN software. If you reinstall your VPN app, it will mean that you’ve got the latest version with any new updates or security patches. This will give you the best chance of getting your VPN back to working properly.
- Contact your VPN’s customer support team. If you’ve tried everything else, get in contact with your VPN’s customer support, who should be able to help you.
If you think you may need more specialized help, we’d suggest taking a look at our in-depth guide on how to use a VPN. And if your VPN isn’t strong enough for Elden Ring, consider upgrading to a more capable VPN, like NordVPN.
Can I use a free VPN for Elden Ring?
It’s not a good idea to use a free VPN to play Elden Ring, as they can harm your online anonymity. This is because they usually profit from selling user data to third parties.
On top of this, most entirely free providers have small fleets of poor-quality servers that won’t be strong enough to bypass region restrictions or IP bans.
But if your budget can’t stretch to a paid option, you’d be much better off using a freemium, which is a more limited version of a premium solution. Our recommended freemiums are ProtonVPN and AtlasVPN because they offer unlimited data.
Alternatively, if you’re not ready to invest yet, there’s always a free trial of a paid VPN. Every VPN in this guide has a money-back guarantee of at least 30 days, so you can test it out first.
After the free trial has expired, this is how much a subscription will cost:
- NordVPN – this is our top Elden Ring VPN, thanks to its unbeatable security, a large fleet of quality servers, and fast speeds. Plans start from just $3.09 a month.
- Surfshark – even the slightest lag could cost you dearly on Elden Ring. And Surfshark is the fastest provider we’ve tested! Prices start from just $2.30 per month.
- IPVanish – a strong VPN with a stellar reputation for privacy, IPVanish is an excellent choice. Subscriptions start from $3.33 a month.
Elden Ring is becoming one of the most popular online games thanks to its notoriously difficult gameplay. However, users often come up against connection issues and slow speeds that can ruin their experience.
Luckily, a reputable VPN, such as NordVPN, can help you improve your speeds and stabilize your ping because it will allow you to connect to a less crowded server and prevent your ISP from throttling your speeds.
Even better, a VPN will also protect you from DDoS attacks by encrypting your data so it can’t be viewed or stolen by third parties. It will even allow you to change location, which will enable you to play opponents in other parts of the world.
We hope we have provided you with all the information you need to choose the best Elden Ring VPN. If you want more advice, please get in touch using the comments section below, and we’ll get back to you.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Could Elden Ring ban me for using a VPN?
If you choose a secure provider, such as NordVPN, you shouldn’t encounter any issues using a VPN to play Elden Ring. Using a VPN when playing online games is a good idea because it can help you reduce ping and avoid lag while protecting you from DDoS attacks.
How can I reduce high ping when playing Elden Ring?
A great way of stabilizing your ping is to use a capable VPN, such as NordVPN, and connect it to an uncrowded server. This will also prevent your ISP from being able to throttle your speeds, reducing lag and giving you a fast and smooth gaming experience.
What’s the best way to play Elden Ring lag-free on multiple devices?
No matter which device you choose to play on, be it PC, Xbox or PlayStation, a VPN is the best way to reduce your ping and play Elden Ring lag-free. NordVPN is excellent at hiding the VPN traffic from your ISP provider. Moreover, it offers a huge fleet of fast servers, so you should look forward to zero throttling and lag-free gaming.