Best LG Smart TV VPN providers in 2023
Do you want to stream more content your LG Smart TV? The best way to expand your watching list is by trying out country-specific libraries. For instance, Netflix offers more content for its South Korean users than Americans. The only issue is that this content is geo-restricted to South Korea only.
Fortunately, there's a way around it. You can set up a VPN connection for your TV with a Smart DNS feature. A VPN will change your IP address to make it look like you reside in any preferred country. This way, you'll get unrestricted access to any country-exclusive Netflix library or other geo-restricted streaming platforms. On top of that, a VPN will protect your privacy protection and improve streaming quality by avoiding ISP speed throttling.
Now, you only need to pick a VPN that works with your TV. We tested dozens of services and picked the best LG Smart TV VPN providers. Continue reading to find the most suitable providers and instructions on how to set up a VPN on your TV.
Top 5 best VPNs for LG Smart TV
- NordVPN – overall best for LG Smart TV VPN
- Surfshark – VPN for LG Smart TV with unlimited connections
- IPVanish – fast and secureVPN for LG Smart TV
- ExpressVPN – LG Smart TV VPN with blazing-fast speed
- CyberGhost – VPN for LG Smart TV with streaming servers
Why do you need a VPN for LG Smart TV
These days, most people use VPNs with their computers. However, not everyone is aware that VPN is also useful with a smart TV. There are several reasons you need a VPN for Smart LG TV:
- Unblocking content. Most streaming sites and other websites are restricted in many regions of the world. This means that if you live outside of, for example, South Korea, you won't be able to view the vast country-specific Netflix library. However, a VPN helps to bypass geo-restrictions and gives access to your favorite content no matter where you live.
- Ensuring security and privacy. If you want to keep your traffic private from third parties, a VPN can encrypt it. This way, it protects you from hackers and malware, including the prying eyes of your ISP.
- Avoiding ISP throttling. Sometimes ISP providers limit your internet bandwidth or speed when they notice a high internet usage associated with your IP address. A VPN can change your IP, resulting in better network speed and a lag-free streaming experience.
Best VPNs for LG Smart TV – detailed list:
We tested over 30 providers to rank them in terms of speed, range of servers, and how effective they are at unblocking streaming sites. Find the best providers below.
1. NordVPN – overall best LG Smart TV VPN
|Servers:||5,800+ servers in 60 countries|
|Streaming platforms:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get NordVPN with 68% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
NordVPN is a great all-rounder with 5,800+ servers in around 60+ countries. It offers a SmartPlay feature, a combination of Smart DNS and VPN. It works effortlessly with LG Smart TV, and you don’t need to set up anything manually.
Security features. The provider maintains your online anonymity with an independently audited no-logs policy. Moreover, security features, such as 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, DNS, and IP leak protection, ensure your online activity remains private. The biggest plus is that NordVPN infrastructure runs on RAM-only servers, which delete all your data after each reboot.
Streaming. NordVPN is one of the best streaming VPNs, which can unblock practically any streaming site. It works even with the most protected platforms like Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other popular services.
Compatibility. This VPN is very easy to set up on any device, whether it’s LG Smart TV or a gaming console. It is compatible with most popular operating systems, such as Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. The VPN can also be used with almost all routers.
All in all, this VPN is the best value for money, with a starting price of $3.19/month. As a bonus, you also get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Learn more in a comprehensive NordVPN review.
2. SurfsharkVPN – budget-friendly LG Smart TV VPN
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Streaming platforms:||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE🔥|
Surfshark is the one of the most affordable VPNs for LG Smart TV. It offers the best price-to-value out of all VPNs available. You can manually configure the VPN on a router or use its Smart DNS feature. No matter which option you choose, Surfshark will allow you to set up unlimited devices simultaneously.
Security features. Surfshark's privacy and security features are remarkable. It guarantees fast speeds with a market-leading WireGuard tunneling protocol. Security and accidental leak protection work through AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection features. There are also RAM-only servers that wipe all your data upon reboot.
Streaming. The VPN is one of the best for geo-blocking. With its massive fleet of xx servers, Surfshark unblocks sites like Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and others.
Compatibility. With unlimited simultaneous connections, you can use the VPN with all your devices. The VPN supports all major operating systems, including Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
The starting price of Surfshark is wallet-friendly – $2.30/month, with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more info, dive into the Surfshark review.
3. IPVanish – freemium VPN for LG Smart TV
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers:||2,200+ servers in 52 countries|
|Streaming platforms:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Disney+, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 75% OFF IPVanish!🔥|
IPVanish is a reliable LG Smart TV VPN with a large fleet of 2,200+ servers in 52 countries. While you can’t set it up directly on your TV, a neat feature like a router applet makes up for it.
Security features. IPVanish employs 256-bit AES encryption and a WireGuard tunneling protocol. As a result, this provider offers reliable security without compromising speed. Moreover, it features DNS leak protection and a kill switch to protect you from accidental data exposure.
Streaming. IPVanish has great geo-unblocking capabilities and allows you to stream content in high definition. You can watch international libraries of Netflix, Hulu, Disney, and others.
Compatibility. The router setup process is a breeze, especially with the help of comprehensive guidelines. As for other platforms, you can use IPVanish on almost every device that supports Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
The prices start from $2.99 a month. Besides, you get a 30-day money-back guarantee to test the service risk-free.
Get to know more in our IPVanish review.
4. ExpressVPN – LG Smart TV VPN with high-speed servers
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers:||3,000+ servers in 94 countries|
|Streaming platforms:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF the 1-year plan!🔥|
With over 3,000 super-fast servers in 94 countries, ExpressVPN is great for 4K streaming on LG Smart TVs. It offers a MediaStreamer that is easy to set up and use for non-VPN-capable devices.
Security features. The provider offers a variety of security features, such as 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch to ensure your private data is not exposed to third parties. Furthermore, with Lightway protocol, you’ll get lightning-fast speeds.
Streaming. ExpressVPN is one of the best providers for streaming. It can unblock all major streaming platforms, including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and many others.
Compatibility. Another great thing about this provider is that it supports many devices with easy-to-use apps and can be set up on a router.
It may not be the cheapest provider, however, the starting price of $6.67/month makes sense when you consider everything ExpressVPN has to offer. Also, it has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find more details in our ExpressVPN review.
5. CyberGhost – best LG Smart TV VPN for streaming
|Servers:||9,600+ servers in 91 countries|
|Streaming platforms:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+|
|Current deal:||🔥Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% OFF + 2 months FREE🔥|
Another great provider of the best VPNs for the LG Smart TV lineup is CyberGhost. While it doesn't have a Smart DNS feature, you can easily set it up on your router.
Security features. CyberGhost protects your digital identity with a wide range of security features. It secures your traffic with unreadable AES-256 encryption. CyberGhost also has a reliable kill switch that cuts your internet connection if VPN disconnects, protecting your IP address from leaking.
Streaming. CyberGhost has specialized streaming servers, so you'll get a high-definition streaming experience with no buffering. As for platforms it unblocks, the list is solid – during our tests, it gained access to Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, and many others.
Compatibility. The process of setting the VPN on a router is very simple. Provider offers easy-to-follow guides to help you through the process. Its apps for Android, iOS, MacOS, and Windows are equally user-friendly.
CyberGhost plans are pretty affordable and start from $2.19/month. The best thing is that it has a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Find more in CyberGhost review.
How we tested VPNs for LG Smart TV
Finding a reliable VPN for LG Smart TV may be a bit challenging if you don’t know how to assess its quality. Here are the criteria we considered while testing and picking the VPNs for LG Smart TV:
- Massive server networks. A VPN with a large fleet of servers allows you to connect to a server of your choice. This way, you can access geo-restricted content no matter where you are.
- Router applet and Smart DNS. We ensure to list those VPNs that support the Smart DNS feature or routers. These features allow you to set up a VPN on devices that do not natively support VPN apps. We ensured that providers have a user-friendly and simple setup process allowing you to unblock content on your LG Smart TV without hassle.
- Security and privacy. The security of the VPN matters a lot since it helps secure your connection. We recommend VPNs that offer a kill switch, advanced AES encryption, protection from DNS leaks, and Double VPN servers. Further, all VPNs should have an independently audited no-logs policy to respect your privacy.
- Speed. To offer you a throttle-free experience, we picked the fastest VPNs that offer unlimited bandwidth and a lag-free streaming experience on LG Smart TV.
- Price. VPNs that come with top-notch features without breaking the bank offer the best value for money. And that’s what we considered while choosing the best VPN for LG Smart TV.
Comparison of the best LG Smart TV VPNs
|Servers||5,800+ servers in 60 countries||3,200+ servers in 2.30 countries||2,200+ servers in 52 countries||3,000+ servers in 94 countries||9,600+ servers in 91 countries|
|Streaming||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Disney+, and more||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more||2.19|
|Logging||No-logs policy||No-logs policy||No-logs policy||No-logs policy||No-logs policy|
|Based in||Panama||The Netherlands||United States||British Virgin Islands||Romania|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark VPN review||IPVanish review||ExpressVPN review||CyberGhost VPN review|
How to set up a VPN for LG Smart TV
Configuring a VPN for your LG Smart TV is not a complex process. Here’s a walkthrough of how to set it up with a Smart DNS on a Windows device.
- Choose a reliable VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN.
- Go to https://my.nordaccount.com/dashboard/nordvpn/ and enable the SmartDNS feature. Wait for an email confirming that SmartDNS was enabled.
- Open up your router’s control panel, and change the DNS to the ones provided by NordVPN.
- Block Google’s DNS on the router. This can be done via custom firewall rules in your router’s settings:
- Start streaming your favorite content on your LG TV.
What if a VPN does not work on Smart TV
If you're connected to a VPN, but you still can't unblock any of your favorite streaming platforms, try following these steps:
- Enable DNS leak protection. If your real IP address leaks, the website you're trying to access may know you're using a VPN. Go to your VPN's settings and enable DNS leak protection.
- Change the VPN server. Streaming platforms work hard to block all IPs related to VPN usage. So, try connecting to many different servers until you find one that works.
- Contact your VPN's customer support. Contact your provider's customer support if previous steps fail to help you. They will troubleshoot the issue and may be able to solve it on their side.
- Choose a different VPN provider. You may need to use a better VPN service. Some providers cannot unblock geo-restricted content, so you need to get a VPN with a proven track record of success, such as NordVPN.
Are there any free VPNs for LG Smart TVs?
There are many free VPNs available on the market. However, we do not recommend free VPNs for LG Smart TVs since they have many restrictions and security issues.
Some free VPNs collect your personal data and sell it to third parties. Besides, free VPNs limit your monthly data to lure you into purchasing a paid VPN. Further, they cause speed issues and provide a slow browsing experience.
Some free VPNs have limited server locations and can’t bypass geo-restrictions to help you access your favorite content. Unless you use a reliable freemium provider like Atlas VPN, a free VPN can also compromise your connection speed, privacy and online anonymity.
The best option is to use a free trial of a premium VPN. It helps you enjoy the perks of paid versions but for a limited time. Our recommended VPNs having free trials are:
- NordVPN – offers a 7-day free trial on Android and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark – offers a 7-day free trial on Android and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
While looking for the best VPN for LG Smart TV, you need to get a provider that offers Smart DNS or router support. On top of that, the provider should offer robust privacy and security features, a large fleet of servers, and ultra-fast connections for HD streaming.
A provider that fits all of the criteria is NordVPN. It has impeccable security features, like advanced encryption, a reliable kill switch, and DNS leak protection to prevent accidental data exposure. It also has both Smart DNS and router applet, as well as excellent cross-platform support. The best part is that NordVPN can unlock virtually any geo-restricted streaming platform, providing a lag-free experience.
Can I install a VPN on LG Smart TV?
LG Smart TV does not support a VPN connection natively, however, you can set it up using Smart DNS. Alternatively, you can configure the VPN on your router. Providers like NordVPN support both of these features with a simple setup process.
Is there a free VPN for LG Smart TV?
Free VPNs typically don’t support the Smart DNS feature, which is required to set up your VPN on LG Smart TV. Instead, we recommend NordVPN, which offers a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee to test the service.
Can I install a VPN on my Smart TV?
Yes, you can install a VPN on your smart TV if its operating system supports VPN. If your smart TV has an app store, you can get the VPN app there. Otherwise, you need to set your VPN up on a router or get a VPN with a Smart DNS feature.