Best VPNs to play PUBG mobile in 2022
PUBG mobile, the most downloadable battle royale game, is banned in some countries such as China, India, Bangladesh, Jordan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Nepal.
In other countries, such as Korea and Japan, the PUBG mobile global version was shut down, and instead localised versions of the game were released. Players outside Korea and Japan are not able to download nor play the local games.
However, there is a surefire way to get around these bans and geo-restrictions of the PUBG mobile game - using a VPN to change your virtual location and gaining access to blocked games and other entertainment. Besides, a VPN can also help avoid ISP speed throttling, and reduce ping. And if that's not enough, you'll also be able to get exclusive skins and weapons.
Read below to discover the best VPNs to play PUBG mobile, what to look for in a VPN for PUBG, and how to troubleshoot the VPN if it is not working right.
Top 5 best PUBG mobile VPNs:
- NordVPN - best VPN for PUBG mobile
- Surfshark - fast PUBG mobile VPN
- IPVanish - VPN for PUBG Korea and Japan
- PureVPN - VPN with the most locations for PUBG
- ProtonVPN - PUBG VPN with good split tunneling
How to unblock PUBG mobile with a VPN
Here’s a quick and easy guide on how to unblock and play PUBG with a VPN from anywhere:
- Get a VPN. We think NordVPN is the best for PUBG
- Connect to a desired VPN server
- Download PUBG to your device
- Open PUBG and get to playing
Best VPNs for PUBG - our detailed list:
Get to know the best PUBG VPNs better - take a look at our detailed list and find out about the features, servers, locations, and more. Choose your favourite:
1. NordVPN - the best VPN for PUBG Mobile
|Servers/countries:||5400 servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||Get NordVPN with 60% OFF!|
NordVPN is our favourite, and just the best VPN for PUBG. It’s fast and it’s got all the necessary features, as well as a high number of 5400 servers in 60 locations, 13 of which are in the Middle East and Asian countries. You’ll be able to play the Korean or Japanese versions of PUBG mobile.
NordVPN has advanced security features, too. For example, split tunneling, which will help route only the PUBG traffic through the VPN tunnel. The encrypted connection won’t interfere with other apps that may require original speed or location settings.
Other features include obfuscated servers for some extra encryption and anonymity while online, as well as a CyberSec feature for blocking ads and trackers. NordVPN also offers a SmartDNS feature, which is great for unblocking streaming platforms.
And while NordVPN doesn’t support port forwarding, nor makes changing the DNS settings very easy, its track record of proven unblocks, fast speed, and top-tier security still makes it the best VPN choice for gaming.
Besides that, NordVPN is also compatible with a number of devices other than phones or computers, including but not limited to smart TVs, gaming consoles, and routers.
To learn more about the features, check our NordVPN review.
- Excellent performance and speed
- Split tunneling
- SmartDNS for streaming
- Great customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No router app
2. Surfshark - a fast VPN for PUBG mobile
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200 servers in 65 countries|
|Current deal:||Get up to 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE!|
Another great VPN for PUBG, Surfshark is known for its fast speeds and very agreeable prices, as well as a high number of servers all over the world. Surfshark has, in fact, 3200 servers in 65 locations, with 12 of them being in the Middle East or Asia.
The VPN also has a GPS spoofing feature, which allows you to not only set your IP address to the preferred location, but also configure your GPS settings. Not only is this great for PUBG, but also other games, such as Pokemon Go.
Besides that, Surfshark has an excellently working split tunneling feature for Android, Windows, and Mac. There’s also the camouflage mode and a feature called NoBorders, which allows you to use it in countries where VPN usage is heavily restricted.
Surfshark is great for streaming as well. It has Smart DNS, and a proven track record of unblocking virtually any streaming site, such as Netflix, DAZN or Hulu.
And, apart from all the neat features that make it perfect for gaming, Surfshark is very secure. With the military-grade AES-256 encryption, 2FA, and a nicely functioning kill switch, your online anonymity and security will always be ensured.
Find out more in our Surfshark VPN review.
- GPS-spoofing feature
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Fast WireGuard performance
- Advanced security features
- Very good customer support
- No split tunneling on iOS
3. IPVanish - unblocks PUBG in South Korea and Japan
|Based in:||The US|
|Servers/countries:||2000 servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||Get up to 63% OFF IPVanish + an Antivirus!|
This US-based VPN provider is one of the most user friendly options for PUBG out there. Not only that, IPVanish also has a huge number of servers - 2000 in 50 countries, 8 of which are situated in Asia and the Middle East.
This VPN provider is also pretty decent at unblocking stuff - from streaming platforms, such as Netflix, to geo-restricted games, such as the Korean or Japanese versions of PUBG Mobile.
IPVanish can also offer pretty good speeds, so don’t worry about lagging. While ping will naturally be a little bit higher because of the VPN encryption, it shouldn’t rise so high that you wouldn’t be able to enjoy a smooth gameplay.
As for security features, IPVanish employs the military-grade encryption, traffic obfuscation features, and an auto-connect option called On Demand. Your traffic will always stay encrypted.
One downside of IPVanish is that it has split tunneling only on Android, and the iOS and Android mobile apps don’t have the kill switch. DNS configuration is not that easy, either. But these features don’t pose life-or-death situations in playing PUBG, so you should be fine without them.
Get to know more from our IPVanish review.
- One of the cheapest yearly options
- Geographically diverse servers
- Unlimited connections
- Free SOCKS5 proxy
- Split tunneling only on Android
- Price increases after a year
4. PureVPN - optimal server locations for PUBG
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||6500 servers in 78 countries|
|Current deal:||Get PureVPN 82% OFF + 3 months FREE!|
A pretty good VPN for PUBG, PureVPN is the one provider that has the most server locations in the Middle Eastern and Asian countries - 18 of its server locations are in those regions. Besides that, PureVPN does pretty well when it comes to unblocking stuff like streaming services. Thus, there shouldn’t be issues with PUBG either.
As for features, PureVPN has decently functioning split tunneling, which is also very easy to configure. There is also a kill switch in case your connection becomes insecure. And, unlike other providers mentioned above, it supports port forwarding, which can be useful if you want to create your own gaming servers.
In terms of the speed, PureVPN is not the fastest VPN around, but its speeds are good enough for some light gaming. You can expect some lags here and there, but chances are that it won’t really lag at all. Plus, PureVPN has the WireGuard protocol available on Windows and Android, which helps a lot when it comes to speed.
Get to know more in our PureVPN review.
- Good speed
- Supports port forwarding
- Unblocks streaming platforms
- No WireGuard on Mac and iOS
- Occasional connection issues
5. ProtonVPN - good VPN for PUBG with split tunneling
|Servers/countries:||1080 servers in 54 countries|
|Current deal:||Get up to 33% OFF ProtonVPN!|
ProtonVPN is a Switzerland-based VPN provider, and a good VPN for PUBG. It doesn’t have as many servers as other providers, but they are pretty spread out in the world. 14 of ProtonVPN’s servers are in the Middle East and Asian regions, which is pretty good for PUBG players living there.
This VPN also has a split tunneling feature, meaning you’ll be able to route only the game traffic through the VPN connection, leaving your other online activities uninterrupted and with the original speed. It’s very easy to navigate and control.
On top of that, ProtonVPN also has pretty good speeds, especially with WireGuard. For even faster connection, there is the VPN Accelerator feature for better speeds and overall faster performance.
And as far as safety goes, ProtonVPN is very secure. It employs military-grade AES encryption protocols, and has undergone numerous security audits. They also have a pretty strict no-logs policy.
ProtonVPN also has a free version, but it’s a lot worse than the paid subscriptions. There are only 3 locations to choose from, and the speeds are terribly slow. ProtonVPN’s free version is totally unsuitable for playing PUBG and other online games.
Learn what else it have to offer in our ProtonVPN review.
- Good split tunneling implementation
- User friendly
- Okay speeds
- Mac version lacks most features
- Can get pretty expensive
How we selected and tested these VPNs
Any VPN is able to change your IP address, but not every VPN has all the features that make it perfect for playing PUBG. It takes a couple of tests to figure out what works, and what doesn’t. Take a look at what we took into account when choosing and testing the best VPNs for PUBG:
- Servers in the Middle East and Asia. PUBG is blocked in some Middle Eastern and Asian countries, and in order to play it, you’ll need a VPN that has servers in countries where PUBG is available. However, connecting to a server in, let’s say, the US, will make your internet connection really slow and drastically increase ping, making the game unplayable. Thus, you want to connect to locations that are the nearest to you, such as Israel or UAE, to have as little latency as possible.
- Split tunneling. This neat feature will allow you to only route PUBG traffic through the VPN, leaving the rest of your apps to use regular connection. That way, browsing and other activities won’t be affected by slowed down speed or sudden location changes.
- Easy DNS configuration. As a VPN affects your ping and internet connection speed, the possibility of configuring custom DNS settings may be helpful in that case. While this is not a total necessity, it still doesn’t hurt to have.
- Speed. The faster the VPN, the better the gaming experience. A VPN is bound to slow down your internet connection speed, so you want to get the one that does it the least.
Why do I need a VPN for playing PUBG?
Are you wondering if you really need a VPN for playing PUBG? Here are some reasons worth considering:
- Unblock PUBG Mobile. In countries like China, India, Bangladesh, Jordan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Nepal, PUBG is blocked by the governments for a variety of reasons. If you want to play the game while in these countries, you’ll need a VPN to change your IP address and be able to download it.
- Access Korean and Japanese versions. South Korea and Japan have developed their own versions of PUBG Mobile, which are only available in these countries. It is known that due to being developed locally, these versions have better graphics and a smoother gameplay. But you’ll need a VPN to be able to access them.
- Get skins and weapons for free. A VPN will allow you to play in a particular server in the game and get free exclusive skins and weapons that may not be available in your current country.
- Protect yourself from DDoS and doxxing. DDoS and doxxing attacks are nothing new in the gaming world, and they’re no fun, either. A VPN can help avoid them by hiding your real IP address, so the attackers won’t be able to affect your access to the game or get any sensitive information.
- Reduce ping and increase internet speed. If your internet connection is being throttled, or not that fast in general, a VPN can help increase the speed and reduce ping if you connect to the fastest and nearest server.
PUBG mobile VPN not working - what to do?
Sometimes, although pretty rarely, VPNs get buggy and stop working properly, or simply don’t connect at all. But it’s usually easy to fix.
Here’s what you can do if a VPN for PUBG Mobile is not working:
- Check your internet connection. Maybe it’s unstable, or your router might need restarting – use the classic “did you try turning it off and on” solution for this.
- Connect to another server. Sometimes, VPN servers are down for unknown reasons, and the best you can do is reconnect to the same location. You’ll be connected to another server and assigned a new IP address.
- Check for IP leaks. If your real IP address is leaking, PUBG will still be blocked.
- Temporarily disable firewall or antivirus. Sometimes, antivirus and firewall software can interfere with VPN functionality. Try temporarily disabling them and stopping any background scans and whatnot.
- Reinstall the VPN. If nothing is working, try re-installing your VPN client. That way, you’ll get the newest version of the app with all the necessary updates.
- Contact support. If the above solutions didn’t work, contact your VPN provider’s support team. Explain as best as you can what the issue is. The more details you give, the easier it will be for them to help you.
- Change your VPN provider. Last but not least, consider changing your VPN provider. NordVPN, in our opinion, is the best VPN for gaming and PUBG.
Does PUBG Lite still work?
No, PUBG Lite doesn’t work anymore, as it was terminated in April of 2021.
PUBG Lite was a version of the original PUBG Mobile game designed for lower-end mobile devices. It was released in 2015. The game mechanics were the same, except the maps were smaller, and fewer people could play on the same server.
However, in April of 2021, PUBG Lite was terminated. Prior to the termination, new downloads were unavailable, but those who had the game downloaded earlier could still play it. After the 29th of April, though, the game became unplayable. According to the official statement from PUBG Lite, player support for Lite became unavailable on May 29th, 2021, a month after the end date.
What devices can I play PUBG with a VPN on?
You can play PUBG with a VPN on any device that supports PUBG and VPNs. This includes mobile devices, laptops, and gaming devices: Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, PS4, and macOS.
However, if you want to play PUBG on gaming consoles, you will need to set up the VPN on your router, as not many VPN providers have dedicated apps for gaming consoles. The best VPNs, such as NordVPN, support numerous router models, and have extensive guides on how to configure your router.
Does PUBG VPN increase my ping?
Yes, using a PUBG VPN might increase your ping. Because VPN encryption adds additional security to your traffic, it “weighs down” the internet connection. This slows down your speed - though not by much if you’re using a fast VPN, such as NordVPN or Surfshark.
However, if your internet speed is being throttled by your Internet service provider (ISP), using a VPN can actually reduce your ping and increase the connection speed.
Can I unblock PUBG with a free VPN?
Yes, you can use a free VPN to unblock PUBG, but only in certain countries. Free VPNs are known for having very few servers, and most certainly not in regions like the Middle East or Asia.
Besides that, free VPNs cannot usually offer top-tier protection like paid providers, and they tend to log and sell user data to third parties. As for speed, free VPNs also won’t be the fastest you can find. In fact, your connection speed may be slowed down by 90% or so, increasing ping and making any game virtually unplayable.
Thus, we don’t recommend using free VPNs for unblocking PUBG. But if you really want to try a VPN for free, we suggest you take advantage of NordVPN’s free trial, or claim the 14-day free trial from Surfshark. Both providers also offer 30-day money-back guarantees, so you won’t lose any money if you end up not liking the service.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
What's the best VPN for PUBG Mobile?
NordVPN is the best VPN for PUBG mobile. It has very good speeds, x servers in x locations, and unblocks virtually any streaming service and online games. It is also very secure and has a lot of security and user anonymity focused features.
What are the best servers for PUBG crate opening?
VPN servers in the US, Germany, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Thailand are the best for PUBG crate opening, rewards, and skins. Because PUBG has fewer players in these locations, they put more rewards in these servers to attract more people.
Which country VPN is best for PUBG in India?
VPN servers in Thailand or Taiwan are the best for PUBG in India, because they are the closest countries in which PUBG is available. NordVPN has servers in both of these countries, and a couple other areas, like Hong Kong or Malaysia, which are also good for PUBG in India.
Is VPN safe for PUBG mobile?
Yes, using a VPN for PUBG mobile is very safe. It hides your IP address and helps you avoid DDoS attacks. On top of that, a VPN can help unblock PUBG mobile where it’s not available. Our favourite VPN for PUBG mobile and online gaming is NordVPN.