Perhaps South Korea is more privacy-conscious than the neighboring countries, yet, there is still some censorship around online activity. The ISP and the government snooping around or geo-restrictions regarding online content – both put online freedom at risk. Fortunately, a VPN can help you.
A robust VPN service, such as NordVPN, helps you temporarily change your IP location and access content unavailable in your country. It also guarantees complete protection and anonymity. With it, your data will be encrypted and impossible to access for third parties.
The good news is that there are plenty of great VPN services on the market. On the downside, not all of them work in South Korea. Therefore, we have tested and listed only the best VPNs for South Korea regarding performance, price, and more. Read below and choose the best protection for you!
Top 5 best South Korea VPNs
- NordVPN – the best South Korea VPN overall
- Surfshark – South Korea VPN with leading quality and price ratio
- PureVPN – South Korea VPN for durable security
- IPVanish – versatile and fast VPN
- Proton VPN – VPN with a free version
What to look for in a VPN for South Korea?
Choosing the right VPN service for you determines how protected you are. That’s why knowing the main characteristics that a South Korea VPN should have is crucial:
- Strong encryption. Market-leading AES-256 encryption ensures that your data won’t be accessible for your local or foreign (for example, North Korean) government and other third parties.
- Kill switch feature. A functional kill switch is essential as it protects your IP address even when a VPN connection is lost.
- Server fleet. First and foremost, a VPN should have servers in South Korea that allow you to enjoy South Korean content wherever you are. Moreover, the bigger server fleet is the better as it decreases the chances of using overcrowded servers.
- Compatibility. A reputable VPN will have applications for all major operating systems. Features, like Smart DNS, to share a protected connection for those devices that don’t support VPN. Also, it’s important that a VPN allows a bigger or unlimited number of simultaneous connections so that you can protect all of your home devices.
The best VPNs for South Korea – our detailed list
Below, we have put the top 5 VPN services for South Korea into a list after testing a couple of dozens of VPNs in terms of security, privacy, performance, and more.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for South Korea in 2022
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 59 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get NordVPN with 68% OFF + 3 months FREE🔥|
NordVPN is currently the best VPN service you can get for South Korea. With 17 servers in South Korea and over 5500 servers distributed in 59 countries, this VPN is excellent for bypassing geo-restricted content. Not to mention the top-notch security layer that protects you from getting exposed.
Security and privacy: by default, this VPN uses the most advanced AES-256 encryption that scrambles your data into pieces and makes it impossible to access. With its functional kill switch feature, your IP address will be protected at all times. Plus, the service is privacy-friendly as it uses RAM-only servers where data gets removed each time it reloads, and there’s a strict no-logs policy.
Performance: NordVPN has implemented an in-house NordLynx tunneling protocol which makes this VPN one of the fastest VPNs available on the market. Additionally, this tunnel ensures that your safety won’t be compromised for the sake of speed.
Features: for staying invisible while being online, you can use obfuscated servers that hide a VPN connection from your ISP and other third parties. You can also connect to two servers simultaneously and have a double VPN connection for an extra security layer. Apart from this, split tunneling allows you to choose what apps should go through VPN traffic, and there are many more features to benefit from.
Compatibility: NordVPN is available for all major operating systems, and it also works on routers; therefore, you can share a secure connection to devices that don’t support VPNs. With a single account, you can protect up to 6 devices simultaneously.
To conclude, this VPN is perfect for all-around protection and a better browsing experience. Moreover, as advanced as the service is, the price remains wallet-friendly as time passes. Pay as little as $2.99/month and stay safe.
Get to know more about the features in our NordVPN review.
- 17 servers in South Korea
- Unblocks major streaming platforms
- NordLynx tunneling protocol
- RAM-only servers
- AES-256 encryption
- No free version
2. Surfshark – South Korea VPN for unlimited devices
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 84% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE🔥|
One of the most popular VPNs, Surfshark, is another excellent choice for South Korea. It has more than 3200 servers in 100 countries, including South Korean servers, unblocks all popular streaming sites, and it’s great for torrenting.
Security and privacy: with a strict no-logs policy and AES-256 encryption or ChaCha20 cipher, this VPN is one of the most secure VPN services. RAM-only servers ensure that your data gets removed from their servers sooner than later. The kill switch works great to avoid leaked IP when a VPN connection drops.
Performance: here, the WireGuard tunneling protocol is responsible for providing you with lightning-fast connection speed and robust online protection. There are no significant speed drops, so streamed content is delivered in full HD.
Features: Surfshark is a feature-rich VPN service. Besides the most crucial ones, like split tunneling or obfuscated servers that ensure you remain completely invisible online, you also get the IP rotator that changes your IP address every other moment. There’s also antivirus protection for avoiding malware, adware, and other infections. Plus, you can enable the Smart DNS feature and unblock your favorite streaming sites on devices that don’t support a VPN connection.
Compatibility: you can get this VPN on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, Firefox and enjoy user-friendly applications on unlimited devices simultaneously. By setting up Surfshark on a router, you can also secure all your home gadgets whether they support a VPN connection or not.
Surfshark is perfect for both – advanced users and beginners. It offers complete protection and helps you bypass restrictions around your preferred content. To use every benefit it offers, you would need to pay as little as $2.05 per month.
Find out more about it in our Surfshark VPN review.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- Servers in South Korea
- AES-256 encryption or ChaCha20 cipher
- No free version
3. PureVPN – security-oriented South Korea VPN
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||6500+ servers in 78 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Current deal:||🔥Get PureVPN, now 87% OFF🔥|
PureVPN is the first VPN service that has always-on-audit and works in South Korea. There are more than 45 servers located in South Korea and over 6500 servers in 78 countries in total. It’s also one of the best streaming VPNs you can get today.
Security and privacy: due to the always-on-audit system, this VPN has no security gaps hidden from you as it can be audited without prior notice. Your data gets encrypted using AES-256 encryption, and you can also enable the kill switch feature to protect your IP address additionally.
Performance: PureVPN delivers impressive connection speeds. It uses the market-leading WireGuard tunneling protocol that ensures fast connection and strong security. With this VPN, regular browsing, streaming, or torrenting will be flawless.
Features: extra features are one of the selling points that we’re looking for; hence, we love what PureVPN has to offer. It’s the split tunneling feature that allows you to choose specific apps that are routed through a VPN connection. Port forwarding is great if you consider setting up gaming servers or simply accessing your device remotely. For an extra security layer, PureVPN has implemented the password manager add-on, which you can use for saving and auto-filling your passwords.
Compatibility: this VPN has intuitive applications for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOSPureVPN platforms, and nearly all of them include all the available features. You can connect up to 10 devices simultaneously per account.
PureVPN is a well-balanced South Korea VPN that you can use for better online safety and privacy, streaming, torrenting, and overall better online time. It also offers one of the cheapest yearly plans, starting from $1.49/month.
Learn more about the features from our PureVPN review.
- Large server fleet
- Over 45 servers in South Korea
- Fast connection speeds
- Has always-on-audit
- Great for streaming
- Some features don’t work with WireGuard
4. IPVanish – comprehensive VPN service
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 71% OFF IPVanish + 3 months FREE!🔥|
IPVanish is a VPN for South Korea that performs great in various situations. Whether you want to increase your security and privacy level or just simply torrent stuff without worrying, this VPN is right for you. It also has 4 servers in South Korea and over 2000 servers located in 50 countries globally.
Security and privacy: just like most of the best VPN services on the market, IPVanish also uses market-leading AES-256 encryption. You can trust your IP’s safety to its customizable kill switch feature that offers standard functionality and also blocks LAN access to block the device from the local network devices. Regarding privacy, the company has been independently audited, and its no-logs policy has been approved.
Performance: here, the WireGuard tunneling protocol is set as default on all IPVanish’s applications. Consequently, this VPN service stands out as one of the fastest VPNs. To avoid any irritating speed drops and for the best performance, choose the server closer to you.
Features: whatever you need a VPN to solve for you, IPVanish wouldn’t be a miss. Among the most important features, such as split tunneling or traffic obfuscation, this VPN offers an encrypted 500 GB storage for your sensitive information. You can also use a free SOCKS5 proxy for hiding your IP address while torrenting without harming the download speed.
Compatibility: IPVanish is compatible with every major operating system. Even though the apps are quite rigid-looking, they are still easy to use. Moreover, you’re allowed to have unlimited simultaneous connections per account.
This VPN is an all-in-one solution that works in South Korea or anywhere in the world (except China). Considering the number of benefits you receive, it also offers a good price. The starting price is $3.19 per month.
Get to know the service better from our IPVanish review.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Customizable kill switch
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- Free SOCKS5 proxy
- Audited no-logs policy
- Located in the US
- Doesn’t work in China
5. Proton VPN – best freemium VPN
|Servers/countries:||1800+ servers in 66 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, HBO Max, Disney+|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 50% OFF Proton VPN + 6 months FREE! 🔥|
Another South Korea VPN on the list – Proton VPN – is a reputable service with a free version. A solid server fleet of 1800 servers in 66 countries, including 8 servers in South Korea, ensures that you will always enjoy not overcrowded servers.
Security and privacy: Proton VPN offers all the possible security a VPN can give. It uses AES-256 encryption that governmental institutions trust. NetShield technology blocks all the blacklisted domains, and the kill switch feature secures your IP address when a VPN connection is lost. The company also follows a no-logs policy that has been independently audited.
Performance: since this provider uses the WireGuard tunneling protocol, the fast connection speed is no surprise here. However, the connection might be inconsistent as there are some speed drops. Yet, this doesn’t stop gamers worldwide from liking this VPN as it’s one of the best VPNs for gaming.
Features: by getting this VPN, you receive quite a list of features. VPN accelerator is excellent if you’re aiming for a better connection speed. An Alternate routing feature is going to combat anti-censorship. Plus, you can enable Quick connect to avoid DNS leaks as soon as you start your device or use the split tunneling feature and route your preferred apps through a VPN.
Compatibility: whether you’re a team Microsoft, Android, or Apple, Proton VPN covers you all. It has apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS that offer a great VPN experience. Moreover, you can connect up to 10 devices simultaneously.
Proton VPN is a good VPN service that definitely deserves attention. It’s also one of the best freemium options to use in South Korea. To have the full suite of security features, you would need to pay $3.99/month.
Learn more about this VPN from our Proton VPN review.
- Audited no-logs policy
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- Market-leading encryption
- Free version
- Extra security features
- A bit expensive
- Connection speed can be inconsistent
How we selected and tested these South Korea VPNs
The main mission of a South Korea VPN is to guarantee complete online security and freedom. Here’s a list of criteria that has helped us see what VPNs can accomplish this mission:
- Robust security. While testing each VPN, we checked for the most advanced encryption, like AES-256 and/or XChaCha20, and the kill switch feature that protects your IP address whenever a VPN connection drops.
- Outstanding performance. Market-leading tunneling protocols ensure that a VPN wouldn’t impact your connection speed and maintain durable protection. That’s why we have chosen VPN services that offer only top-notch tunneling protocols.
- Extra features. Every extra feature available ensures a better security and browsing experience. Obfuscated servers for hiding your VPN connection, P2P support for torrenting, split tunneling, and more. Hence, we listed only those VPNs that include more than basics.
- Compatibility. We ensured that each included VPN to the list would have apps for every major OS and allow you to connect as many devices simultaneously as required to be fully protected.
- Price. Our priority is to help everyone stay safe and anonymous online without worrying about finances. Therefore, our listed VPN services offer the best price and quality ratio with the possibility of trying out the service,
Why do you need a VPN in South Korea?
To avoid the government and your Internet service provider interfering with your virtual life, getting a VPN is the best way to go. However, there’s a whole list of a South Korea VPN’s selling points:
- Get rid of Internet censorship. Online gambling and torrenting are illegal in South Korea. Not to mention other censorship, like 161,569 websites blocked in the country. With a VPN, you can easily bypass these restrictions and even hide a VPN connection to remain undetected.
- Remain secure and anonymous. Surveillance in South Korea is a common concern. The government has the right to inspect your data without a warrant order if any suspicions have arisen toward you. Using a VPN makes your online data encrypted and impossible to access for any sneaky intruder.
- Access major streaming sites. Whether you’re inside or outside South Korea, a VPN is excellent for unblocking various streaming platforms. Best streaming VPNs allow you to watch videos in full HD without lagging.
- Stay secure while using public wifi. A public Internet connection is never a safe option to choose. It’s a straight road to sharing your data with third parties wifi; hence using a VPN is essential.
Best South Korea VPNs compared
Knowing the criteria for choosing the best VPN service ensures that you make it fast and successfully. That’s why we have gathered a table where you can see our top 5 VPNs compared:
|South Korea servers||17+ servers in 1 location||1 location||45+ servers in 1 location||4+ servers in 1 location||8+ servers in 1 location|
|Fastest protocol available||NordLynx||WireGuard||WireGuard||WireGuard||WireGuard|
|Country||Panama||The Netherlands||British Virgin Islands||United States||Switzerland|
|Streaming services||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, HBO Max, Disney+|
|Price (lowest price per month)||$2.99/month||$2.05/month||$1.49/month||$3.19/month||$3.99/month|
|Money back guarantee||30 days||30 days||31 days||30 days||30 days|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark VPN review||PureVPN review||IPVanish review||Proton VPN review|
How to get a South Korea IP address with a VPN
Luckily, setting up a VPN and getting your preferred location’s IP address doesn’t take ages and is easy to do. To see how it’s done, follow the guides below:
- Choose and a reliable VPN service that offers servers in South Korea. Our recommendation is NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Open the VPN application.
- Make sure the kill switch and the fastest tunneling protocol are enabled.
- Select the server located in South Korea and connect.
- Start browsing without restrictions.
Internet censorship in South Korea
The main issue South Korea is facing is North Korea interfering with its well-being. Therefore, there’s a lot of surveillance around South Korean citizens to control incoming information regarding the neighboring country. Even though this sounds logical, the privacy and freedom of Internet users are being compromised.
The ISPs in South Korea must collect users’ data and share it with the government. National Intelligence Service (NIS), police, and prosecutors’ office can access individuals’ personal information (private communication, location data, financial records, and more) if there have been any terrorism-related suspicions.
Furthermore, the South Korean government has also banned lots of websites. These include online gambling, torrenting, pornography, and other sites. Meaning, that citizens can’t access certain content without using a VPN.
Overall, South Korea doesn’t fall into the list of high-censorship countries. Yet, there’s undeniably compromised only security, privacy, and overall browsing experience. Fortunately, with a reliable VPN, you can easily stay virtually invisible.
Torrenting in South Korea
Like in most countries around the world, torrenting copyrighted material is illegal in South Korea as well. However, it’s known that the government is more likely to be after piracy websites instead of targeting individuals.
Nevertheless, going against the law is always a dangerous idea. Hence, we suggest using a torrenting VPN that supports a P2P connection. With it, you will avoid any inconveniences torrenting in South Korea, or any other country can cause.
South Korean content you can watch with a VPN
South Korean movies and TV shows have been skyrocketing in past years. That’s no surprise, as they offer content suitable for both; young and older people.
Here are some of the content you can expect to see by using a South Korea VPN:
- South Korea Netflix: Legend of Fuyao, The Destiny of White Snake, From the Vine, Off the Rails, Delicious.
- Enjoy South Korean TV and streaming channels: Kakao TV, AfreecaTV, EBS, JTV, SBS, JTBC, SPOTV, HBO Asia, Arirang TV, Gayo TV, MBC Sports+.
- Watch other South Korean TV shows: Korean Anime, Manga, K-dramas.
Can I use a free VPN in South Korea?
Yes, you can use a free VPN in South Korea. However, we would not recommend doing it. After all, there are several reasons behind that.
Free VPN services are minimal. Due to low investment, you receive outdated apps with only a few security features. There are also data and speed caps, small server fleets, and more. Basically, most free VPNs will try to force you into paying for the service.
Moving further, let’s talk about your privacy. There have been cases where a free VPN app was caught collecting users’ data and selling it to third parties. In exchange for your data, a VPN makes an income or is allowed to work in highly-censored countries, like China or Russia.
Overall, free VPNs cannot offer as advanced services as premium VPNs, like NordVPN, do. However, there are still free-of-cost VPNs that are reliable. By choosing Proton VPN or Atlas VPN, you receive strong protection, good performance, and more.
Using a VPN in South Korea enriches your online experience. Considering that the South Korean government has reasons to sneak around your data and restrict you from global content, a VPN is the gate to your freedom.
With a reputable VPN, like NordVPN, you stay completely safe and anonymous, bypass online restrictions, and access all desired content. So, we hope that this article has helped you decide which VPN is for you.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
What's the best VPN for South Korea?
NordVPN is the best VPN for South Korea. It has 17 servers located in South Korea and over 5500 servers in 59 countries across the world. NordVPN is known for successful geo-restrictions bypassing and a robust suite of security.
Is it legal to use a VPN in South Korea?
Yes, using VPN is legal in South Korea. The government itself acknowledges that some online monitoring can be avoided using VPNs; however, there is no fuss about it. Yet, keep in mind that any criminal activity related to using a VPN is illegal.
Does every VPN have servers in South Korea?
Not every VPN has servers in South Korea. However, it is the second most popular place in East Asia after Japan which has a quite strict internet censorship. Therefore, there are enough VPN services with South Korean servers. You can find them listed in the article.
How to try a VPN in South Korea for free?
All listed VPN providers have at least a 30-day money-back guarantee, which means that if you are not satisfied with it, you’ll be fully refunded if you ask for a refund before this period ends. Some VPNs, like Surfshark or PureVPN, have 7-day free trials, and you won’t have to pay anything in advance to try these VPNs.