Best VPNs for QNAP NAS
QNAP NAS is a network-attached storage that is always connected to the internet and can be accessed from anywhere in the world from multiple devices. This storage can be used for file sharing, management, and cloud service.
By always being online and accessible from various devices, QNAP NAS has become a target for hackers and other online threats. Therefore, a secure VPN is the best way to protect your data and NAS.
With a reliable VPN, your connection will be encrypted and routed through a secure server. In addition to preventing hackers from accessing your data, a VPN will prevent ISP or the government from tracking the files you receive or send to the QNAP NAS.
We have tested dozens of top-rated providers to present you with only the best VPNs for QNAP NAS. We selected only those that offer excellent security features, have no-logs policies, and are compatible with NAS.
Top 5 best QNAP NAS VPNs
- NordVPN – the best VPN for QNAP NAS
- Surfshark – QNAP NAS VPN with excellent security features
- IPVanish – reliable VPN to add to your network-attached storage devices
- PureVPN – secure VPN to set up on QNAP NAS
- ExpressVPN – versatile VPN for QNAP NAS
📢 LIMITED OFFER: Get 69% OFF NordVPN!
The best VPNs for QNAP NAS – our detailed list
To provide you with only the best VPNs for your QNAP NAS, we’ve tested dozens of top-rated VPN providers. We selected only those compatible with QNAP network-attached storage, secure, and with installation guides.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for QNAP NAS overall
|Servers:||5,900+ servers in 60 countries|
|Compatible with:||QNAP NAS, Synology NAS, FreeNAS, routers, Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥 Holiday Deal! Get NordVPN with 69% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
NordVPN is the best choice for QNAP NAS. This VPN offers robust security packages, is compatible with different NAS versions, and provides some of the best performance results compared to other VPN providers.
NordVPN offers next-gen encryption, works on RAM-only servers, has obfuscated servers available, and has a strict no-logs policy; therefore, your data is completely protected and hidden. It also has a strong kill switch and a Threat Protection feature that protects your storage from malware and other online threats.
With over 5,900 servers in 60 countries, you’ll easily find the preferred server location to add to your QNAP NAS and get the best speed performance results.
In addition, this VPN employs one of the fastest tunneling protocols – NordLynx. It’s a proprietary protocol based on the market-standard WireGuard. Also, it offers OpenVPN and IKEv2/IPSec that are compatible with the QNAP NAS.
Lastly, you can find setup guides for various devices, including QNAP NAS, Synology Nas, and FreeNAS. NordVPN is also compatible with routers, and all of the popular OS, like Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS.
You can purchase NordVPN for $2.99/month with a 30-day money-back guarantee. With a single subscription, you can cover up to 6 devices simultaneously.
2. Surfshark – budget-friendly VPN with excellent security features for QNAP NAS
|Servers:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Compatible with:||QNAP NAS, Synology NAS, routers, Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥 Cyber Monday! Get 80% OFF Surfshark + 5 months FREE 🔥|
Surfshark a budget-friendly provider offers reliable security features, excellent connection speeds, and has setup guides for QNAP NAS devices.
Surfshark offers more than 3,200 servers in 100 countries, so you’ll have plenty of options to pick your favorite server location. In addition, this is one of the speediest VPNs on the market, so your connections will be seamless and lag-free.
Speaking about fast connections, Surfshark supports the market-standard WireGuard tunneling protocol and OpenVPN, which is compatible with the QNAP NAS setup.
Furthermore, Surfshark has various security features to protect your data and connection to the QNAP NAS. Those features include AES-256 encryption, a strong kill switch to prevent data leaks, a strict no-logs policy, and obfuscated servers. More so, there’s the camouflage mode available, DNS and WebRTC leak protection, and more.
This provider is compatible with QNAP NAS, Synology NAS, and can be set up on routers and other devices. In addition, it has dedicated apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS users.
You can purchase Surfshark for as low as $1.99/month and have unlimited simultaneous connections. Better yet, test this provider out with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
3. IPVanish – reliable VPN to add to your network-attached storage devices
|Servers:||2,200+ servers in 52 countries|
|Compatible with:||QNAP NAS, Synology NAS, FreeNAS, routers, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥 Cyber Monday! Get 81% OFF IPVanish + 3 months free! 🔥|
IPVanish is a secure VPN for network-attached storage devices. It offers OpenVPN protocol available for easy configuration and setup guides for QNAP NAS.
IPVanish offers over 2,200 servers in 52 countries for you to pick so that you can pick your connection point from anywhere in the world. In addition, this VPN implements the speedy WireGuard and OpenVPN tunneling protocols. Therefore, you can easily set up your QNAP NAS and enjoy fast data transfers.
Security is another point that IPVanish takes care of. With the market-standard AES-256 encryption, reliable kill switch, built-in DNS leak protection, and a strict no-logs policy, you can be sure that your data is fully protected and stays anonymous.
IPVanish is compatible with QNAP NAS and Synology NAS, can also be set up on routers, and has dedicated apps for all popular OS, including Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
You can purchase IPVanish for $2.49/month and enjoy unlimited simultaneous device connections. You also get a 30-day money-back guarantee if there’s something you dislike about the service.
4. PureVPN – secure VPN provider for your QNAP NAS
|Servers:||6,500+ servers in 65 countries|
|Compatible with:||QNAP NAS, Synology NAS, routers, Windows, MAC, Linux, Android, iOS, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PureVPN, now 83% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
PureVPN is a very secure VPN that’s compatible with QNAP NAS devices. This provider offers guides for setting up the VPN on your network-attacked storage and protects your data from online threats and tracking.
With over 6,500 servers in 65 countries, you can pick from various global servers and connect to NAS from anywhere. Also, wide server selection will help with maintaining stable speeds.
In addition, PureVPN has implemented the speedy WireGuard tunneling protocol and offers OpenVPN, which is compatible with QNAP NAS.
PureVPN also takes care of your security online. It offers AES-256 encryption, an always-on audit for its no-logs policy, a robust kill switch to prevent data leaks, and an obfuscation feature. So, you can be confident that your data is hidden and protected from cyber threats.
More so, PureVPN offers setup guides for QNAP NAS and Synology NAS, is compatible with routers, and has dedicated apps for all popular OS, like Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS.
You can get PureVPN for as low as $2.08/month and get up to 10 simultaneous connections. You can use the 30-day money-back guarantee if the service doesn’t meet your needs.
5. ExpressVPN – versatile VPN to use with QNAP NAS
|Servers:||3,000+ servers in 105 countries|
|Compatible with:||QNAP NAS, Synology NAS, FreeNAS, routers, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥 Cyber Monday! Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
One more VPN on our list that can be set up on QNAP NAS is ExpressVPN. This versatile tool offers the necessary OpenVPN protocol for configuration and includes strong security features to protect your data.
ExpressVPN offers robust security features that include AES-256 encryption, a strict no-logs policy, a strong kill switch, and stealth servers. So your data protection is fully covered. In addition, a Threat Manager feature blocks trackers and other online threats.
Connection speeds are no issue either. ExpressVPN employs its proprietary Lightway protocol and offers OpenVPN for easy configuration on your QNAP NAS. Moreover, you can pick from thousands of servers in 105 countries to find the best server location for your needs.
Not only is this VPN compatible with QNAP NAS and offers setup guides, but it also works with Synology NAS and FreeNAS, has its own router app, and offers dedicated apps to all popular OS. You can also add it as a browser extension.
ExpressVPN subscription starts at $6.67/month, and you’ll get up to 8 simultaneous connections. You can also use the 30-day money-back guarantee.
How we selected and tested these VPNs
We needed to consider a couple of important criteria when picking the best VPNs for QNAP NAS. Here are the essential points:
- Compatibility. QNAP NAS supports OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP connections, so we selected those VPN providers that allow at least one of these protocols to be eligible for configuration on NAS.
- Security. The primary purpose of adding a VPN to your QNAP NAS is to secure your connections. Therefore, we selected those VPNs with strong AES-256 encryption, strict no-logs policies, and secure protocol implementations, among other features.
- Installation instructions. All providers on our list have specific configuration instructions for the QNAP NAS available.
- Speed. Stable speeds are needed for seamless file transfers, so we selected those VPNs with the fastest connection speeds.
- Servers. Various servers, primarily those close to your original locations, provide more stable speed results. Therefore, we selected VPNs with large server fleets that cover various geographical areas.
Comparison of the best VPNs for QNAP NAS
|Logging||No logs, independently audited twice by PwC||No logs, independently audited by Deloitte||No logs, independently audited by Leviathan||No logs, always-on audit by KPMG||No logs, independently audited by Cure53|
|Compatibility||QNAP NAS, Synology NAS, FreeNAS, routers, Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and more||QNAP NAS, Synology NAS, routers, Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and more||QNAP NAS, Synology NAS, FreeNAS, routers, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and more||QNAP NAS, Synology NAS, routers, Windows, MAC, Linux, Android, iOS, and more||QNAP NAS, Synology NAS, FreeNAS, routers, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and more|
|Country||Panama||The Netherlands ||United States||British Virgin Islands||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers||5,900+ servers in 60 countries||3,200+ servers in 100 countries||2,200+ servers in 52 countries||6,500+ servers in 65 countries||3,000+ servers in 105 countries|
|Price||From $2.99/month||From $1.99/month||From $2.49/month||From $2.08/month||From $6.67/month|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark VPN review||IPVanish review||PureVPN review||ExpressVPN review|
What are the reasons to use VPN for QNAP NAS?
QNAP NAS faces many cyber threats, from hacking to viruses and others. Therefore, protecting your storage and connection with reliable VPN software is important. Here are the main purposes for getting a QNAP NAS VPN:
- Security. QNAP NAS is constantly connected to the internet, so it’s smart to add a VPN to encrypt your connection to the storage and prevent online threats, like hacking, malware, trackers, and others.
- Privacy. VPN is an excellent tool to hide your IP address and stay anonymous online. With a reliable VPN, you’ll be protected from the ISP tracking your activity online, and prevent other third-party trackers from collecting data about you.
- Remote access. While you can connect to QNAP NAS remotely without a VPN, adding this security tool will immensely protect your connections. A reliable VPN will allow you to access your QNAP NAS from anywhere without compromising your data security.
- Stable connections. ISP may throttle your connection speeds if they notice you transferring large amounts of data to your QNAP NAS. Encrypting your connection with a secure VPN will prevent the ISP from tracking your activity and hinder throttling.
How to install OpenVPN on QNAP NAS
The easiest way to install a VPN on your QNAP NAS is by manually configuring the OpenVPN setup. We have prepared a simple guide for setting up NordVPN on your QNAP NAS.
- Head to your chosen VPN provider and download the ovpn configuration file. We recommend the top-rated NordVPN.
- Access your QNAP and go to QVPN Service > VPN Client > VPN Connection Profiles > Add > OpenVPN.
- Import the ovpn files.
- Enter your VPN credentials and click “Apply”.
- Select the visible VPN profile and click “Use VPN as NAS Default Gateway”.
- Enable the VPN Gateway slider.
- Now, you have installed VPN on your QNAP NAS.
Are free VPNs good for QNAP NAS
No, we do not recommend using a free VPN for QNAP NAS. While free VPNs can work with network-attached storage devices if they are compatible, you should consider if a free subscription offers enough protection to secure your QNAP NAS.
The main reason for using a VPN on NAS is to secure your connections and encrypt them, so the NAS becomes less of a target for hackers and other online threats. Free VPNs don’t provide as reliable security features as premium VPNs.
Instead of putting your faith in a free VPN that might not even be compatible with QNAP NAS, we suggest using a risk-free money-back guarantee that the premium VPN providers offer. You can test the software during the period of, usually, 30 days to see if it’s the best option for you.
Here are the top offers:
- NordVPN – compatible with QNAP NAS, has an excellent security package, offers a 7-day free trial on mobile, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark – compatible with QNAP NAS, has various reliable security features, has a 7-day free trial on mobile devices, and offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Adding a VPN to your QNAP NAS is beneficial for your security. A reliable VPN prevents hacking, ISP tracking, and other online threats that could target your network-attached storage device.
Based on our testing, the best VPN for QNAP NAS is NordVPN. This provider offers robust security features, with next-gen encryption, a secure kill switch, and an independently audited no-logs policy. In addition, the Threat Protection feature will protect you from malware threats and trackers.
More so, NordVPN offers blazing-fast connection speeds, has a wide range of servers, is compatible with QNAP NAS devices, and offers detailed setup guides.
Does QNAP have a VPN?
How to use VPN on QNAP?
You'll have to pick a VPN, our top suggestion is NordVPN, and configure your VPN connection on QNAP NAS. You can follow our guide on setting your VPN on your QNAP. Then you’ll have to enable the VPN connection, and that’s it – your connection is encrypted and protected.
Does a VPN protect QNAP NAS from hackers?
A reliable VPN, like the top-rated NordVPN, can add extra security to your QNAP NAS. It encrypts your connections and prevents anyone from accessing your data and NAS device.
Will a VPN help me access my QNAP NAS remotely?
Yes, a VPN will help securely access your QNAP NAS remotely. You can also access QNAP NAS remotely without a VPN, but it will be less secure. A VPN will encrypt your information and, in turn, protect your connection tunnel to NAS.