Cryptocurrency exchange platform Deribit has confessed to being robbed of $28 million by hackers, but says it has reopened for business after running cybersecurity checks in the wake of the attack.
The digital money derivatives company made a Twitter announcement on November 2, saying its hot wallet had been “compromised,” leading to the theft of bitcoin (BTC), ethereum (ETH), and digital dollar-pegged stablecoin USDC.
Deribit took pains to reassure customers, saying: “Client funds are safe and loss is covered by company reserves,” adding that those keeping theirs in cold, or offline, wallets were safe, citing “company procedure to keep 99% of our user funds in cold storage to limit the impact of these type of events.”
Withdrawals were temporarily suspended while Deribit cleared up the mess caused by the latest crypto heist, but earlier today the Panama-based company declared: “Deribit has just re-opened regular withdrawals for BTC, ETH and USDC after we opened Copper Clearloop and Cobo withdrawals earlier.”
Deribit has posted a link to the account suspected of being behind the attack, and said that deposits made before the announcement would still be processed and credited to recipients.
More from Cybernews:
Subscribe to our newsletter