How to fix Honkai: Star Rail lag using a VPN
Like other popular games, Honkai: Star Rail occasionally suffers from lagging due to server overcrowding or ISP speed throttling. After all, over the few months since its release, the game has gathered a massive player base that peaked at twenty-eight million. But you can still enjoy Honkai: Star Rail lag-free despite it all with a robust VPN.
A reliable gaming VPN can solve any latency issues once connected to a server location nearby Honkai: Star Rail gaming servers. Meanwhile, data encryption takes care of ISP speed throttling, as your online traffic becomes untraceable.
To help you avoid experimenting with dozens of VPNs, we have tested and handpicked the best 3 VPN providers that work with Honkai: Star Rail. They all managed to reduce lag, retained fast connection speeds, and didn’t leak our IP not once. Continue reading, pick a VPN, and learn how to fix the Honkai: Star Rail lag issue with it.
How to fix Honkai: Star Rail lag with VPN – quick steps:
- Select a VPN suitable for gaming. Our top choice is NordVPN, now68% OFF
- Download and install the VPN app on your device
- Connect to a server nearby Honkai: Star Rail gaming servers
- Launch the game and enjoy a lag-free experience!
Why do you need a VPN to fix Honkai lag?
There are a few ways a VPN helps fix Honkai: Star Rail lag. Firstly, these massively multiplayer online games attract thousands of concurrent players to the same server forcing it to slow down. But you can connect to a VPN server in a different geographical location for better performance.
A robust VPN can also reduce the data travel path between your device and gaming servers. If you connect to a VPN server that's closer to the target destination, your data flow will travel a shorter distance and reduce ping on Honkai: Star Rail.
Furthermore, VPNs are one of the most effective ways to stop the ISP from throttling your connection. Due to applying industry-leading encryption to your traffic, ISPs can no longer track your online activity. Hence, they lose the reason to slow down your connection.
Finally, uncompetitive online players use DDoS attacks to target gamers' IP address and crash it, forcing a disconnect. A VPN obfuscates users' original IP address and substitutes it with an alternative protecting gaming sessions from DDoS or Doxxing attacks.
Why is Honkai: Star Rail lagging?
Honkai: Star Rail could lag for several reasons, but most are easily solvable. Here are the most popular cases that could cause your game to stutter:
- Hardware recommendations. Honkai: Star Rail has steep system requirements and will lag if your device cannot meet them.
- ISP connection throttling. Your ISP can intentionally cap the Internet connection speed if they notice you use a lot of bandwidth.
- Overloaded servers. You may experience slow performance if your Honkai: Star Rail server is overcrowded.
- Outdated drivers and game version. Outdated software often causes performance issues because it lacks numerous quality-of-life updates included in newer versions.
- Device overheating. You may encounter massive drops in FPS if your device starts overheating during intense gaming sessions.
Here's how you can fix performance issues and lower ping on Honkai: Star Rail:
- Upgrade your Internet plan to a faster
- Use a VPN to bypass ISP speed throttling
- Upgrade device hardware
- Connect to a different gaming server
- Clear your device from dust and clean coolers
- Turn off other resource-consuming processes
- Restart Honkai: Star Rail
- Reinstall Honkai: Star Rail
NordVPN is the best VPN to fix Honkai: Star Rail performance issues. You can bypass ISP throttling and secure gaming sessions with its 5,800+ speedy servers.Get NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
The best VPNs to fix Honkai: Star Rail lag
Choosing a good gaming VPN is tricky because it must maintain the best speed performance without sacrificing cybersecurity features.
Nevertheless, we aim to help you have a better gaming experience quickly. That’s why we selected the top 3 Honkai: Star Rail VPNs, that we tested in terms of performance, security suite, ease of use, and price. Find a VPN specifically for you right below.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN to fix Honkai: Star Rail VPN lag issue
|Servers/Countries:||5,800+ servers in 60 countries|
|🔥Coupons: ||NordVPN coupon 68% OFF|
NordVPN is the best VPN to fix lag on Honkai: Star Rail because it combines unmatchable performance with durable security. Its 5,800+ server network runs on proprietary NordLynx protocol that applies advanced encryption while maintaining the lowest ping possible.
You can use NordVPN on 6 devices simultaneously, starting from $3.19/month. Or you can also try out the service first, using a 7-day NordVPN free trial together with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
You can learn more about the features in our full NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – speedy VPN for playing HSR
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/Countries:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🔥Coupons: ||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF|
Surfshark is one of the fastest VPNs on the market that can solve the Honkai: Star Rail lag issue. During our tests, it maintained over 86% of the baseline connection speed. Plus, Surfshark does not limit parallel connections, so you can install it on as many devices as you want at no additional charge!
Surfshark offers 3,200+ servers in 100 countries, so there's no Honkai: Star Rail server you cannot reach. But what really makes it stand out is the price, amounting to a mere $2.30/month. There’s also a 7-day Surfshark free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check our in-depth Surfshark review for more details.
3. Atlas VPN – gaming VPN for beginners
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/Countries:||1,000+ servers in 42 countries|
|🔥Coupons: ||Atlas VPN coupon 85% OFF|
Even if you don’t have experience in the VPNs field, you can fix lag on Honkai: Star Rail with Atlas VPN. This VPN is well-known for its intuitive apps that are available on all popular devices, and you can also connect to a VPN on unlimited devices at once.
AtlasVPN has 1,000+ fast servers in 42 countries, ensuring you find the correct server for Honkai: Star Rail. And the WireGuard protocol provides you with stable performance and robust security, retaining 80% of the original connection speed.
Finally, Atlas VPN is insanely cheap, starting from $1.82/month. You can also use a 7-day free trial along with a 30-day money-back guarantee
To learn more, visit our Atlas VPN review.
Other ways to get reduce lag on Honkai: Star Rail
Gamers have been tweaking device settings to increase FPS rates for decades. Sometimes buying a new PC is not an option, and if you can increase Honkai: Star Rail performance without spending extra – the more power to you! Here are several methods you can try:
- Tweak graphic settings. Honkai: Star Rail has flexible video graphics options. First of all, reduce the resolution size and set its quality to very low. You can also modify rendering and character quality, and environmental details. Don't forget to disable shadows and set reflection quality to very low, as these processes require a lot of video card calculations and can cause terrible lags on low-end devices.
- Turn off background processes. Windows runs many background processes that consume RAM and require CPU attention. Firstly, ensure that device updates are downloaded on selected hours you are not playing HRS. Turning off web browsers like Google Chrome will free gigabytes of RAM. Lastly, go to Settings, then Background Apps, and disable the Let apps run in the background option.
- Enable Windows Game Mode. Microsoft developed a Game Mode on Windows to increase video game performance on this OS. Go to Settings, then Game Mode, and turn this feature on. It will prioritize the video game using system resources, especially those demanding video card processing power. Simultaneously, it will silence numerous notifications and background processes to free up computational power.
Can I use a free VPN to fix Honkai: Star Rail lag?
Yes, you can use a free VPN to fix the lag issue While using a free VPN to fix lag on Honkai: Star Rail. However, you may rarely encounter positive results. Free VPNs often lack resources for a large server fleet causing their servers to slow down.
No less important are the cybersecurity issues. Free VPN servers sometimes are traps laid for unsuspecting users to share their data. Cybercriminals can extract valuable information, like the username-password combination if you play HSR on a free VPN server.
Furthermore, because HSR is a Gacha game, you will often make money transfers, so security is paramount. Instead of taking unnecessary risks, we recommend using premium VPNs' free trial or a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN – this VPN effortlessly fixes HSR ping issues and protects your gaming session from cyber threats. You can enjoy a 7-day free trial, and there's also a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark – a VPN provider to protect all your devices with just one subscription. For seven days, you can try it out for free and then continue with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Fixing lag on Honkai: Star Rail – the final word
Lag spikes on online games are especially frustrating because you can lose important matches for no good reason. Luckily, Honkai: Star Rail performance issues are quickly solved by tweaking its graphic settings or using a VPN.
Our tests showed that NordVPN is the best option to fix lag on HSR. Its large fleet of servers allows you to connect to different HSR servers that aren't as loaded and perform better. Simultaneously, NordVPN protects your gaming session from DDoS and Doxxing attacks and neutralizes ISP speed throttling.
Best VPN deals this week:
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How can you fix Honkai: Star Rail lag on a computer?
The best way to fix Honkai: Star Rail lag on a computer is to use a VPN. VPN providers, like NordVPN, are able to fix any latency issues and bypass ISP speed throttling. However, you can also lower the game’s resolution, reduce graphic settings, and update video card drivers.
Which server location is the best for playing Honkai: Star Rail?
Honkai: Star Rail has four server locations: Asia, Europe, America, and Taiwan/Hong Kong/Macau in one. If you experience lags on any, try connecting to a VPN server closer to the HSR gaming server to reduce data travel path and ping.
How do I make my HSR less laggy?
You can improve the HSR gaming experience by using a VPN, like NordVPN, to bypass ISP speed throttling to get a better Internet connection speed. You can also modify HSR’s graphic settings, subscribe to a faster Internet plan, upgrade your hardware, and tweak Windows Game Mode settings.
Why is Honkai Star Rail ping so high?
Your Honkai: Star Rail ping can be high because the HSR server you're connected to is overloaded or very far from your geographical location. Try using a VPN, like NordVPN, to connect to a different server and relaunch the HSR game.
How do I increase my FPS in Honkai Star Rail?
You can increase Honkai: Star Rail FPS by updating your video card drivers, changing the HSR graphic settings, upgrading your device hardware, using Windows Game Mode, and turning off unnecessary background processes.
Can I play Honkai: Star Rail with VPN?
Yes, playing Honkai: Star Rail with a VPN is an excellent way to solve any performance issues related to Internet connection speed. Simultaneously, a gaming VPN protects user devices from DDoS and Doxxing cyberattacks.