The National Broadcasting Company (NBC) is one of the most popular US TV networks in the world, boasting a vast array of content, including news, sports, comedy, and dramas. Sadly, it’s only available in the US, which means that if you try to access it from outside the country, you’ll find its service is geo-blocked.
Don’t despair, however, because all you need to do is use a VPN, which will let you bypass NBC’s location restrictions so that you can watch it from wherever you are in the world. Better yet, a VPN comes with loads of other benefits, including protecting your data from cybercriminals and snoops.
In this guide, we’ve pulled together a list of our favorite VPNs for NBC, as well as tips and tricks for watching NBC abroad. So read on for everything you need to know.
How to watch NBC without cable and bypass provider login
- Sign up for a VPN that has a decent selection of US servers to choose from. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Download and install the VPN onto your device and either log in or register for an account.
- Connect to a US server.
- Go to the NBC website or download the app, and either sign in or create an account.
- Connect your NBC account to your cable subscription.
- Grab a snack and start watching your favorite shows.
Why do you need a VPN to watch NBC?
NBC is only available to watch in the US. This is because NBC places regional restrictions on its content to comply with copyright laws and distribution rights. Hence, if you’re outside the US, you’ll need to find a strong VPN to connect to a server in the US to unlock the content.
If you attempt to view any of NBC’s online content from outside the country without using a VPN to connect to a US server, you’ll be blocked by the following error code: This video is not available in your location.
If you use a VPN to connect to a server in the US, your device will be issued with a US IP address. This will trick NBC into recognizing your device as being in the country, so you’ll be able to watch all its online content.
Best VPNs for NBC
There’s no end of VPNs out there, but you should be aware that not all VPNs will let you unblock NBC or other international streaming services. In fact, the quality, speed, usability, and even security can vary dramatically between providers.
To help you out, we’ve tested out lots of VPNs and pulled together a list of the best ones for NBC. They each have a 30-day money-back guarantee included, which means you can test them out for yourself before committing to a lengthy subscription.
And if you want more help and advice, take a look at our guide on the best VPNs for streaming.
Without further ado, here are our three top VPNs for watching NBC from anywhere.
1. NordVPN: Best VPN for watching NBC from outside the US
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 59 countries|
If you’re looking for the best VPN to watch NBC abroad, we don’t think you could do better than NordVPN. It has lots of high-quality US servers for you to choose from, which lets you unblock NBC with ease. And not only that, but it can also unblock geo-restrictions on any other streaming you can think of, including Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and YouTube TV.
It’s fast and reliable, making it the perfect choice for streaming content on NBC. NordVPN boasts 5500 servers in 59 countries worldwide, and it delivers a raft of impressive security features that will keep your sensitive data safe while you’re online.
NordVPN’s plans start from just $2.99 a month.
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Smart DNS technology
- Fastest speed
- In-house NordLynx protocol
- Global server fleet
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Linux client has no GUI
- No router app
2. Surfshark: Best value VPN for international BBC streaming
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
If you’re looking for a cheap VPN to watch NBC, Surfshark will give you great value for money. For one thing, it’s the fastest VPN on our list, which makes streaming content an absolute joy. You also get unlimited simultaneous connections, so it’s ideal for families.
And more importantly, its fleet of quality US servers means it can bypass NBC’s geo-restrictions, as well as blocks on every other streaming service we’ve tested, including Disney Plus, HBO Max, and Hulu.
Surfshark has more than 3200 servers in 100 countries. And it delivers sophisticated privacy features to keep your information safe.
Best of all, prices start at just $2.05 a month.
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Smart DNS feature
- RAM-only servers
- Very fast
- WireGuard protocol
- Superb customer support
- No split tunneling on iOS
- macOS and iOS apps are slightly weaker
3. IPVanish: Best lightweight solution for watching NBC abroad
|Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
If you just want a simple, lightweight VPN that’s easy to use, IPVanish is a great option. It has good servers in 20 cities across the US, so you can use it to unblock NBC from wherever you are. Better yet, it can also bypass region restrictions on other major streaming sites, such as BBC iPlayer and DAZN.
IPVanish delivers fast speeds that are great for streaming NBC, and it has 2000 servers in 50 countries. You’ll also benefit from its strong suite of security features, including protection against DNS and IP leaks.
Plans for IPVanish start from $3.19 a month.
- Fast speeds that are great for streaming
- Free trial for iOS users
- Decent customer support options
- Customizable kill switch
- Unlimited connections
- Can’t unblock all streaming services
- Based in the US
- Doesn’t work in China
Streaming services that show NBC online
US cable customers will be able to access NBC for no extra charge. But if you’re outside the US or don’t have a cable subscription, you can watch NBC online on a range of streaming services.
|Streaming service||Price per month|
|AT&T TV||From $59.99|
|Hulu + Live TV||From $64.99|
|Sling Blue plan||From $35|
|YouTube TV||From $64.99|
If none of these services are available in your country, you’ll need to download a good VPN that can unblock US streaming platforms. Here’s a list of the most popular services that air NBC and how to unblock them:
- FuboTV includes NBC, along with around 90 other channels, so you’ll have lots of content to watch. There are excellent VPNs that can bypass FuboTV, including NordVPN.
- Hulu and Hulu + Live TV will give you access to NBC, as well as a raft of other content. However, it’s not easy to unblock, and it’s available only in the US. So you’ll need a strong VPN with a good reputation, such as NordVPN.
- Sling TV can let you access NBC on its Sling Blue plan. But it’s only available to users in the US, so you’ll need to use a VPN that can unblock NBC to access it.
- YouTube TV offers NBC as part of the 90 channels you get with a subscription. And it’s really easy to unblock using a good VPN that has servers in the US.
How to watch NBC with VPN on your device
It’s perfectly possible to watch NBC from wherever you are in the world, whether you’ve got a smartphone, PC, tablet, or smart TV. All you’ll need is a VPN to bypass geo-restrictions so you can unblock its content.
The process is really simple, but the steps do vary depending on which device and operating system you’re using.
In this next section, we’ll explain exactly what you need to do to access NBC from anywhere on the most popular devices.
If you want more advice to help you choose the most suitable VPN for your device, check out our reviews below:
Watch NBC on a PC
You can watch NBC on your web browser from outside the US by using a VPN to connect to a US server. All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Download and install a reputable VPN on your Mac or Windows PC. We recommend NordVPN it has lots of good US servers to pick from.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Visit the NBC website and either sign in or register for an account, or visit a streaming service that has NBC included.
- If this hasn’t unblocked the content, try clearing your cookies and cache and signing back in.
- Search for the content you want to watch and enjoy streaming!
Watch NBC on your phone
It doesn’t matter whether you use an iPhone or an Android smartphone. You’ll be able to download a VPN so you can watch NBC on your handset. Here’s what you need to do:
- Change your phone and app store locations to the US.
- Download and install a VPN app. We recommend NordVPN because it has great apps for Android and iOS.
- Create a new Apple ID or Google account and choose the US as your country.
- Go to the Google Play Store or Apple App Store and install the NBC app or download the app for the streaming service of your choice.
- Start browsing all the content NBC has to offer.
Watch NBC on a smart TV
Some smart TVs, such as Apple, Samsung, and LG, don't support VPN apps. Don’t worry, though, because you can simply connect your Wi-Fi router to a VPN, and you’ll be able to watch NBC on your TV. Just follow these five simple steps:
- Download a VPN that has quality US servers. We recommend NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Access your Wi-Fi router’s admin and connect it to your VPN network.
- Download the NBC app on your smart TV or the streaming service you want, and log in or sign up for an account.
- Gather the whole family together and enjoy watching NBC on your largest screen.
While some of the biggest smart TV brands don’t work with VPNs, many support VPN apps. Better still, some VPNs have dedicated Android TV apps to improve your user experience. Depending on the make and model of your TV, your chosen VPN app might well be available to download directly onto your TV.
How to watch NBC on streaming devices
By accessing NBC on your streaming stick, you’ll be able to sit down with all your friends and family to watch shows together. Here, we’ve broken down how to do this on the most popular streaming devices:
If you want to know more about choosing the best VPN for your streaming stick, take a look at our guides below:
Stream NBC on Roku
As with smart TVs, some popular streaming sticks don’t support VPN apps, and sadly, Roku devices fall into this category. Luckily though, there’s a straightforward way around this. Just complete these simple steps to unblock all the content you want:
- Choose a VPN with a good selection of US servers. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN software and connect it to your Wi-Fi router.
- Connect to a US server.
- Insert your Roku stick into your smart TV using the HDMI port.
- Turn on your TV and choose NBC or your streaming platform from the Roku home screen.
- Start streaming all your favorite shows and sports fixtures.
Stream NBC on Kodi
Just like Roku, Kodi doesn’t support VPN apps. There’s no need to give up, though, because there’s an easy way around this. Here’s what you should do:
- Check you have OpenVPN installed.
- Download and install a VPN that can unblock NBC. We recommend NordVPN.
- Add your VPN to your Kodi. The best way to achieve this is to first download the VPN onto your computer, then save the software onto a USB stick, and insert that into your Kodi device.
- On your Kodi device, click on Settings, then System Settings, and select Add-ons. Switch on Unknown Sources.
- Download your VPN software from your USB stick onto your Kodi.
- Once this is complete, connect to a US server.
- Switch on your TV and head to Kodi's home screen.
- Install the NBC add-on to your Kodi.
- Get a drink and enjoy watching NBC.
Another way to get this to work is to connect your VPN to your Wi-Fi router.
Stream NBC on Apple TV
It probably comes as no surprise that Apple TV doesn’t support VPN apps. However, it’s not the end of the world, thanks to this simple hack. Here’s what you need to do to watch NBC on your Apple TV:
- Choose a VPN provider that supports Smart DNS. We recommend NordVPN.
- Check your Smart DNS addresses, and then go to the Settings menu on your Apple TV, and choose Network towards the bottom of the page.
- Hit the Wi-Fi button, and select your network. Then click Configure DNS and then Manual Configuration.
- Type in your DNS address and then restart your Apple TV
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Download and install the NBC app or the streaming app you want on your Apple TV.
- Start searching for the content you want to watch.
Alternatively, you can connect your Wi-Fi router to your VPN, which will unblock NBC on your Apple TV.
Stream NBC on Firestick
It’s even easier to bypass geo-restrictions on an Amazon Firestick. Just follow these five steps to unlock all the content you want:
- Turn on Unknown sources on your Amazon Firestick.
- Download and install a VPN that can bypass region restrictions on NBC. We recommend NordVPN.
- Once the software is installed, connect to a server in the US.
- Install the NBC app or your preferred streaming service on your Firestick.
- Enjoy NBC’s content!
Stream NBC on Chromecast
When it comes to unblocking international content, it’s particularly easy to do on a Chromecast. Here’s how to do it:
- Pick a VPN that’s compatible with your Wi-Fi router. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN software, and connect it to your Wi-Fi router.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Download the NBC app or the streaming service of your choice onto your phone or tablet.
- Tap the Cast icon on the top of the screen.
- Choose the name of your Chromecast, and enjoy watching NBC on your TV.
How to watch NBC online while traveling
Like most US domestic TV channels, NBC is blocked outside the US. For US customers with a cable subscription or an over-the-top (OTT) service, such as Sling or Peacock, the easiest way to watch NBC while traveling is to use a VPN to connect to a server in the US. This will make NBC believe you’re in the country, so you can catch up on your favorite shows wherever you are.
However, you can also watch NBC online, which will let you watch a lot of NBC content without a cable subscription. This is an excellent option for people who live outside the US. Hence, if you’re in the UK, Canada, Australia, or anywhere else in the world, you can use a VPN to connect to a US server, which will let you watch NBC content.
To watch NBC without a cable subscription, you can sign up to an OTT provider that has NBC, including Sling, Peacock, or Hulu.
Can’t access NBC with a VPN?
If you’ve followed our steps to watch NBC with help of VPN, but you’re still getting an error code, it’s likely due to one of the following reasons:
- Your VPN doesn’t have the ability to unblock NBC.
- NBC has blacklisted your VPN’s servers.
- NBC has improved its geo-blocks, so your VPN won’t work anymore.
- Your actual IP address is leaking.
To fix this, try one of the following:
- Make sure your server is truly based in the US.
- Connect to another US server.
- Reach out to your VPN’s customer support team for help.
If all else fails, it might be time to upgrade to a more reliable VPN, such as NordVPN.
How to watch NBC for free
If you have a US cable subscription, you’ll be able to watch NBC at no extra cost. However, if you’re not in this position, there are plenty of other cost-effective ways to access NBC. Many streaming platforms include NBC as part of their offerings with a free seven-day trial. So if you want to watch something specific on NBC, you can try to binge-watch it in a week without paying a penny.
Here are the streaming services that have a free trial for NBC:
|Streaming service||Free trial|
|Hulu: $5.99 a month||Seven days|
|Peacock: $9.99 a month||Seven days|
|FuboTV: $64.99 a month||Seven days|
|Hulu + Live TV: $64.99 a month||Seven days|
If you’re outside the US, you’ll also need to get a VPN to help you bypass NBC’s region restrictions. We don’t recommend using free VPNs, as they can be quite limited, offer poor security, and aren’t good at unblocking streaming services. However, if you want to give one a go, we’d say optimal free VPNs for watching NBC are either Atlas or ProtonVPN.
What can you watch on NBC?
NBC is one of the biggest channels in the US, with a huge variety of live and on-demand content, including sports, movies, news, and TV shows. It’s available on cable TV in the US, but it also comes as part of larger streaming services, such as Hulu, Peacock, and FuboTV. This means that you can access its content from anywhere in the world without a cable subscription. You will need to use a VPN if you’re outside the US, though.
Here are some of the most popular things you can watch on NBC:
|Content type||Most popular content|
|Sport||NFL, Premier League Football, Tour de France|
|Drama||New Amsterdam, Blacklist, This is Us, Manifest|
|Movies||Harry Potter franchise, John Wick trilogy, Legion|
|Comedy||The Office, Parks and Recreation, Brooklyn 99, Scrubs|
|Reality/game shows||America’s Got Talent, The Weakest Link, The Bachelor, The Wall|
Watching NBC from outside the US couldn’t be easier. All you need to do is sign up for a VPN and use it to connect to a US server. You’ll then be able to bypass NBC’s region restrictions so you can access all the content the network has to offer. Even more impressive, a good VPN can unblock geo-restrictions on pretty much any streaming service you can think of, so you’ll always have something new to watch.
A VPN is also an important tool for protecting your data while you’re online. It encrypts your traffic so that your sensitive information is completely safe from hackers, cybercriminals, and other third parties.
If you want to find out more, here’s a guide on everything you need to know about using a VPN to change your location.
We hope this guide has answered all your questions about using a VPN to watch NBC from anywhere. If not, let us know in the comments section below, and we’ll be happy to help.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
How to watch FuboTV
How to watch BBC iPlayer in USA
How to watch Hulu
How to watch Eurosport in USA
How to watch HBO
How to watch CNN online from anywhere
How to watch Showtime outside US
How to watch US TV online outside US
Can I use a VPN to watch NBC?
Yes, lots of VPNs are able to unblock NBC’s region restrictions, so you can watch NBC from outside the US. It’s worth noting, however, that not all VPNs can do this, so you’ll need to pick a reliable VPN with a good range of US servers. For this, we recommend NordVPN.
How can I watch NBC from outside the US?
You can watch NBC from anywhere in the world by using a reliable VPN with a fleet selection of US servers. Once you’ve signed up to a VPN and got it installed on your device, simply connect to a server in the US, go to NBC’s website, and sign in or register for an account. Then you’ll be able to watch all your favorite NBC content from wherever you are.
How can I watch NBC Sports with a VPN?
Watching NBC Sports with a VPN couldn’t be easier. All you need to do is sign up to a reputable VPN with a long list of US servers. Then, once you’ve installed the software and created an account, connect to a server in the US and head over to the NBC Sports website or app. Sign in or create an NBC account, and you’ll be able to watch your favorite fixtures from anywhere in the world.
Is it possible to watch NBC for free?
If you subscribe to a US cable provider, you’ll be able to watch NBC at no extra cost. If not, you can sign up to a streaming service, such as FuboTV, Peacock, or Hulu, each of which comes with a seven-day free trial, so you can binge-watch without paying anything for a week.
Is NBC available on Amazon Prime Video?
You can watch some NBC content on Amazon Prime Video, such as The Office, Manifest, and Parks and Recreation. However, you won’t be able to access NBC’s live content on Amazon Prime.
Is NBC Live available on Peacock?
NBC’s live content is available on Peacock Premium the next day. So, if you want to watch an event live, you’ll probably want to sign up for a different streaming service, such as FuboTV, Sling, or Hulu + Live TV.