What is the Viceice.com virus and how to remove it?
Encountering and utilizing free downloads of anything online is pretty risky because that’s how malware like the Viceice.com virus enters your system. So, by downloading any kind of free software, you put yourself in danger of enabling this browser hijacker.
Afterward, your default browser will be altered and lead to the Viceice homepage. Luckily, you can easily prevent the installation of this browser hijacker and remove it from your device. But first, we’ll go through what Viceice.com is, how to remove it, what damage it makes, what its symptoms are, and how to stay safe.
What is the viceice.com virus, and what does it do?
The Viceice.com redirect virus, also known as the Viceice.com browser hijacker, modifies your default browser. More precisely, it appears as a search engine website and allows you to search regularly. On top of this, it looks quite professional, as any other legitimate search engine looks.
When opening your browser, you will find a text box where you can enter a keyword and search for relevant information. Unfortunately, this innocent-looking search engine comes with malicious intent. Basically, you will be redirected to unknown web pages with numerous virus-laden ads.
Viceice.com can make its way into your device through legitimate apps, free downloads, or potentially unwanted programs. This is because browser hijackers usually reside in digitally pirated files, such as video games, movies, TV shows, and so on. It can also alter your browser if you visit questionable websites, such as unlicensed sports-streaming pages.
But the worst part is that if you click on some of the sites in the search results, you may download additional malware. That means Viceice.com is not dangerous by itself, but it can lead to installing other malware. For example, you can be affected by keyloggers, trojans, and ransomware if you’re not protected by robust antivirus software.
Besides modifying your browser settings, Viceice.com reduces your overall security level. Also, your confidential files may be affected by the malware, potentially resulting in identity theft and other personal information issues. Moreover, other hazards included with viceice.com contribute to strange and suspicious add-ons, plug-ins, or extensions.
|Type||Browser hijacker, redirect malware|
|Affected devices||Windows OS browsers|
|Symptoms||Search engines take longer to load, unknown URL appears instead of the default start page, search results are mainly sponsored, URLs are suspicious, you reach websites you did not want to visit, etc.|
|Damage||Possible further malware infection, subpar browsing experience, possible personal data loss|
How do I know if I have Viceice.com redirect?
While you can download the Viceice.com virus without being aware of it, you can easily detect when your device is infected by it. Besides browser alterations, there are a few other symptoms you should look out for, such as:
- Slower browser. One of the main indicators that your device is affected by the Viceice.com hijacker is the speed of your browser. More precisely, your browser will be slower than usual and laggy.
- Irrelevant search results. Another thing you will notice is that your search engine provides weird results. In other words, if you look for something that you are familiar with and know how its particular website looks, you may be surprised by a totally different outcome.
- Different browser appearance. The most obvious sign that Viceice.com is present is that your browser will change its look. So, when you open your default browser, you’ll notice a different appearance. Still, the search box for inputting queries will remain.
- Suspicious URLs. Besides your browser being changed, the home page will also change. Usually, the viceice.com URL stays above the search box, but you can also encounter weird URLs with numbers and different domain extensions from regular ones.
- Overwhelming ads. As Viceice.com contributes to downloading other adware, it may start showing intrusive ads. More precisely, you’ll come across pop-up ads, plug-ins, or extensions you haven’t installed.
How to remove Viceice.com virus?
There are a few methods you can implement to remove this virus. To help you, we’ll provide a few guides on how to remove Viceice.com.
As this browser hijacker affects mostly Windows devices, we’ll focus on Chrome and Firefox web browsers. Overall, there are basically three different practices.
Step 1: Remove suspicious browser extensions
The first method you can employ is removing suspicious browser extensions. Both Chrome and Firefox removal procedures consist of three steps:
- Click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner of your browser
- When the menu appears, navigate to Extensions. Then, click on Manage Extensions
- Look for any suspicious extensions and remove them by clicking on Remove
- Navigate to the three horizontal lines in the top right corner
- Find the Add-ons puzzle piece icon and click on it
- You will see a list of extensions. To remove anything suspicious, click on the three dots and choose Remove Extension
Step 2: Remove any unwanted or suspicious applications
The second step requires deleting Viceice.com directly from your device. You can either do this automatically (with an antivirus program like TotalAV) or manually. If you want to do it by yourself, here is what you should do:
- On Windows, click the Search menu and start typing Remove. You should get a suggestion of Add or remove programs. Click on it
- In Apps & features, look for any suspicious applications and remove them by clicking Uninstall
Step 3: Reset browser settings
The final step includes resetting your browser settings if you can’t find any suspicious extensions or programs on your device. Here’s how to do that:
- Click the three vertical dots in the top right corner
- Find Settings in the drop-down menu and click it
- Find the Reset settings tab in the left-hand menu and select it
- In the window, click Reset settings to their original defaults and confirm that you want to do it
- Click the three horizontal lines in the top right corner
- Find Help and click on it
- In the Firefox help window, click on More troubleshooting information
- In the new window, click Refresh Firefox and confirm it
Viceice.com malware on different devices and browsers
Viceice.com is a relatively old browser hijacker. Therefore, there is no difference in how it behaves on different devices and browsers. In other words, this malware is created to do the same task regardless of your OS or browser.
More precisely, you will encounter longer loading times while browsing the web, suspicious URLs, sponsored search results, and websites you didn’t search for. On top of that, the damage from Viceice.com remains the same – possible further malware infection, a bad browsing experience, and personal data loss.
Due to this, the solutions on how to remove Viceice.com are pretty similar, no matter what device or browser you use. Just follow our straightforward yet detailed guides from above, and you’ll get rid of the virus in no time! Most importantly, you need to install a top-quality antivirus service like TotalAV to avoid such issues in the future.
How to prevent the Viceice.com redirect virus?
If you’re curious about how to prevent the Viceice.com redirect virus, we have a few simple solutions. The most crucial thing is to not download free software and suspicious files. However, let’s dive into more detail and see what practices you need to adhere to:
- Avoid suspicious sites. Viceice.com is often present on dubious websites that promote free downloads of what you need. So, in case you end up on such a page, we advise you to leave and not click anything.
- Download files from reputable and legitimate sources. If you come across a suspicious website that you haven’t heard about, the chances of it being a scam are enormous. That’s why it’s best to avoid downloading anything, as you might install Viceice.com.
- Install a reliable antivirus program. If you want to stay safe at all times, our suggestion is to install a trustworthy and reputable antivirus program, such as TotalAV. The antivirus will scan your device and protect it in real time, thus ensuring top-notch protection.
- Regularly remove outdated apps. This solution is essential for avoiding various cyber threats. Hackers often utilize outdated app vulnerabilities to perform attacks against unsuspecting users. Therefore, they can access your confidential data with ease.
- Do not click on suspicious ads and links. Viceice.com is installed by clicking on free download links. Once it enters your device, it will bombard you with intrusive ads and suspicious links. You may even receive emails from unknown sources. The best prevention measure is to avoid clicking on any of these weird notifications.
Now that you are aware that Viceice.com is a browser hijacker that leads to other malware issues, you need to be very careful when browsing online. This includes not downloading free software, clicking on suspicious ads or links, and opening questionable emails. Crucially, you should install reliable and effective antivirus software to ensure safety if you ever have a lapse of judgment. We recommend TotalAV to cover all your bases.
If you want to know how to remove Viceice.com, you may be surprised by how easy it is. You basically have three solutions – remove suspicious browser extensions, remove the software directly from your PC, or reset the settings of your default browser.
How do I delete the Viceice.com redirect?
You can delete the Viceice.com redirect by implementing . The first one is to remove the suspicious browser extension directly from your default browser. Another way is to open your device’s settings and uninstall the software from there. Last but not least, you can also reset the browser you’re using so you can return it to its default settings.
What is a Viceice.com browser hijacker?
Viceice.com browser hijacker is a redirect virus that tricks you into downloading free software. If you do this, the virus will infect your device by changing your browser, slowing it down, bombarding you with pop-up ads and suspicious extensions, showcasing weird URLs, irrelevant search results, etc.