It is essential to safeguard sensitive data and online activities given the never-ending cyber threats and data breaches.
In this case, a VPN becomes an essential tool that provides a secure and private connection to the internet, encrypting all online traffic and hiding your IP address. This means your online activities and sensitive information, such as login credentials and financial data, are protected from potential cyber threats and prying eyes. Using a reliable VPN service can significantly enhance your online privacy and security, making it an indispensable tool for individuals and businesses alike.
Today, we're excited to sit down with Anthony Brown, an expert software developer at VeePN – a robust VPN service provider – and discuss current trends and challenges as well as the future of the VPN industry.
How did the idea of creating VeePN come to life? What was your journey like since?
So the idea for VeePN came about when we recognized a need for a VPN that was both easy to use and affordable. Many existing VPNs on the market were either too complicated for the average user or too expensive. We wanted to create a product that would make online privacy accessible to everyone.
Since then, it's been quite a journey! We've been diligent in developing and improving our service, and are always striving to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to online security. We've worked hard to develop features that make VeePN easy and intuitive to use, such as a simple one-click connection and automatic server selection. Continually improving the user experience and expanding our global reach has been the main focus.
We've expanded our server network to cover more countries and regions around the world, ensuring that our users can access the internet securely and privately from wherever they are.
Can you introduce us to your VPN service? What features make it stand out?
Sure thing – VeePN is a VPN service that provides users with a high level of security and privacy when browsing the web. One of the things that make us stand out is our user-friendly interface – we've designed our service to be easy to use and navigate, even for those who are new to VPNs. Our one-click connection feature allows users to quickly and easily connect to a VPN server without any complicated setup or configuration.
We have servers in over 60 countries around the world, making it easy for users to access content and websites from anywhere. Our servers also offer high-speed connections, ensuring that users can stream and download content without buffering or interruptions.
VeePN also offers advanced security features. Some of them are a kill switch, which automatically blocks your internet if the VPN connection drops, split tunneling, which lets you choose which apps will be routed via VPN and which won’t, and DNS leak protection, which ensures that users' DNS requests are routed through the VPN tunnel rather than being sent directly to their ISP.
Besides, VeePN works on major operating systems and platforms — from iOS to Smart TV — and lets you secure up to 10 devices with 1 account. This lets you protect your entire household. All of these features work together to provide users with a fast, reliable, and secure VPN experience.
What would you consider the most common reasons internet users choose to use a VPN service?
I think the major reasons why people use a VPN service are privacy, security, and online freedom.
First, privacy and security are a key concern for many internet users. A VPN encrypts your internet traffic, making it nearly impossible for anyone to intercept or snoop on your online activities. This means that your browsing history, online communication, and sensitive information (like credit card details or personal data) are protected from prying eyes.
Also, a VPN creates a secure and private connection between your device and the internet, so you can browse the web, shop online, or access your bank account without worrying about cybercriminals stealing your data.
Besides, with Internet freedom tightening, a VPN also lets users access websites, content, and services that may be blocked or restricted in their location by changing their IP address. It gives them a way out, in a sense. So I believe that many see a VPN as a powerful tool that helps them protect their privacy, security, and online freedom. Whether you're concerned about cyber threats, want to bypass censorship, or simply value your online privacy, a VPN is a great and easy way to start.
Do you think the recent global events have altered the way the general public
Absolutely. I think that the recent global events have brought cybersecurity to the forefront of people's minds. With millions of people around the world working from home, the lines between personal and professional lives have become blurred.
People are using their personal devices to access corporate networks, share sensitive data over unsecured networks, communicate via unencrypted channels, and so on. This has created a whole new set of challenges for individuals and businesses alike and has made people much more aware of the risks associated with online security and privacy.
One of the most significant changes we have seen is a surge in demand for VPN services, and we expect to see continued growth in the VPN industry as people seek out ways to protect themselves online.
In your opinion, what kind of threats are we going to see more often in the next few years?
I think that as the world becomes more interconnected, and our reliance on technology continues to grow, we are likely to see an increase in both the frequency and severity of cyber threats. Things like ransomware, phishing scams, and social engineering attacks are already quite common, but I expect that we'll see more advanced versions of these threats in the coming years. For example, phishing has already spread beyond emails to text messages and other forms of personal communication.
One of the most significant threats we expect to see more often in the next few years is advanced persistent threats (APTs). Meanwhile, experts say that the global advanced persistent threat protection market size is predicted to grow in the next decade with a CAGR of 20%. APTs are sophisticated and targeted attacks that are designed to reach a specific target's network and remain undetected for an extended period. These attacks are usually carried out by nation-state actors or highly skilled cybercriminals who are looking to steal sensitive data or disrupt critical infrastructure.
Also, I believe we'll see an increase in attacks on the Internet of Things (IoT). With more and more devices becoming connected to the internet, from smart home appliances to industrial machinery, there will be a greater attack surface for cybercriminals to exploit. This could include larger-scale attacks that disrupt critical infrastructure or cause physical harm, such as shutting down power grids or disabling medical equipment.
With remote work becoming the new normal, what network security measures do you think companies should invest in to secure their workload?
Yes, remote work is becoming more prevalent, meaning companies must invest in network security measures to protect their employees and data.
First off, use a VPN. It’s a must-have for remote workers since it’ll encrypt your entire internet traffic and ensure that data transmitted between devices and servers is secure. Then, implement multi-factor authentication. MFA adds an extra layer of security to login credentials, making it more difficult for hackers to gain access to company resources. With MFA, employees must provide an additional form of authentication, such as a code sent to their phone or biometric authentication, to access company systems.
Using endpoint protection won’t hurt, either. Endpoint protection solutions can detect and block malware, viruses, and other threats on employees' devices. This is especially important for remote workers who are using their personal devices for work. Finally, pay specific attention to conducting regular security training. They can help employees identify and avoid common phishing and social engineering attacks, and ensure they are following best practices for network security.
Besides using a VPN, what other security measures do you think average internet users should implement?
Sure, let’s go through an online security and safety checklist:
- Use strong passwords. Yes, this one’s a classic. One of the simplest yet most effective security measures is using strong, unique passwords for each online account. Don’t use obvious stuff and most importantly,
- Enable two-factor authentication. 2FA adds an extra layer of security by requiring users to provide an additional form of authentication, such as a code sent to their phone or biometric authentication, to access their accounts. This will disrupt cybercriminals' plans even if they crack your password.
- Keep software up to date. Keeping software updated is key to maintaining security. Software updates often include security patches that fix known vulnerabilities. So don’t overlook them.
- Be cautious of phishing scams. Phishing scams are designed to trick users into revealing sensitive information, such as login credentials or financial data. Users should be cautious of suspicious emails, links, or attachments and verify the authenticity of any requests for personal information.
- Limit personal information online. Limiting the amount of personal information shared online can help prevent identity theft and other types of fraud. Users should be cautious of sharing sensitive information such as their full name, address, or social security number. Because no cybersecurity tool will keep their info safe if that information was shared willingly.
- Use antivirus software. Antivirus software can detect and remove malware, viruses, and other types of malicious software.
Developing and maintaining good cyber hygiene is crucial. Go with these simple steps first to start with yours.
How do you see the VPN industry evolving over the next decade?
Well, one thing is certain: VPNs will continue to play a critical role in helping users protect their online privacy and security. Here are some trends that I believe will shape the VPN industry over the next decade:
- Increased adoption. As more people become aware of the importance of online privacy and security, I expect the adoption of VPNs to continue to grow. This will be driven by a combination of factors, including rising cyber threats, increased awareness of government surveillance, and the growing number of remote workers.
- Advancements in technology. VPN providers will continue to innovate and develop new technologies to improve security and performance. This will include improvements in encryption, faster connection speeds, and better support for different devices and platforms.
- More competition. With the growing demand for VPN services, I expect to see more providers enter the market, which will increase competition and drive innovation.
- More regulatory scrutiny. As VPNs become more widely used, I think we’ll see increased regulatory scrutiny from governments around the world. What will this be driven by? By concerns about the use of VPNs for illegal activities and their impact on national security.
- Increased emphasis on privacy. I expect to see an increased emphasis on privacy as a key selling point for VPNs. Growing concerns about data breaches, government surveillance, and online tracking are the main reasons why.
The VPN industry will continue to evolve and grow over the next decade, driven by the increasing importance of online privacy and security.
What does the future hold for VeePN?
At VeePN, we're committed to staying ahead of the curve and providing our users with the best possible VPN experience. We're constantly working on improving our product, adding new features, and expanding our network to provide faster and more reliable connections.
Looking to the future, we plan to continue investing in new technologies to improve security and performance, as well as expanding our global presence to provide users with more options for accessing the internet securely and privately. Ultimately, our goal is to become a leading player in the VPN industry and continue to innovate and provide the best possible service to our users. So stay tuned for more updates!