How to watch the 2021 Formula 1 live stream online
Strap yourselves in and start your engines, because the Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021 race starts in Yas Marina Circuit on Yas Island on Sunday, December 12.
Unfortunately, you may have encountered a problem: F1 live stream is not available in your region. Luckily, a good VPN can fix this problem once and for all. Aside from giving you online privacy and security, it will unblock any region you need to watch Formula One live online.
In this article, you’ll learn everything you need to know about how to watch Formula 1 online, no matter which country you live in or what device you use. Believe me, it’s much easier than you think!
How to watch F1 stream online from anywhere: a quick guide
- Get a reliable VPN. Right now, NordVPN is 68% OFF!
- Connect to a server in the US or another country.
- Head to ESPN or any other streaming service that offers F1 broadcast.
- Kick back and enjoy the race!
If you hurry up, you’ll still be able to catch the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix!
|Abu Dhabi Race details||Date|
|Practice race||Friday, 10th of December|
|Qualifying race||Saturday, 11th of December|
|The official race||Sunday, 12th of December|
Which streaming services show Formula 1 online
|Streaming Service||Price per month|
|Hulu + Live TV||$64.99|
|Sling Orange + Blue||$50|
|Formula One TV Access||$26.99|
|Formula One TV Pro||$79.99|
|AT&T TV Now- Plus Plan||$55|
However, if none of the services mentioned above are available in your country, you’ll need to download a good VPN first. Here’s a quick list of the most popular platforms for Formula 1 and the VPNs that will unblock them:
- ESPN. Reserved solely for the American audience, this sports channel can be easily accessed with NordVPN, check our shot guide how to watch ESPN online.
- Hulu + Live TV. This is a tough streaming platform to unblock, and it’s available only in the US. Luckily, VyprVPN is able to do the job right. If Hulu isn't available in your region either, check our our best VPNs for Hulu list.
- Sling TV. Exlusively available to American users, but can albo be unblocked with a VPN. Here's our guide how to access Sling with a VPN.
- YouTube TV. Virtually any VPN will help you access YouTube TV. You can simply go with Surfshark, an inexpensive VPN that will also help you unblock lots of other streaming services (like DAZN).
Excluding VyprVPN, all other F1 VPN options come with a one-week free trial. But of course, there are 23 races in a season. So, if you want to watch the whole 2021 Formula One season, you will need to get for one of these providers.
Of course, there are websites that illegally stream F1 races for free. But they usually request personal information in return, so opting for one of these websites is not a safe option.
Want to discover more VPNs to unblock streaming services? Here are some of our articles with the best VPN services for streaming:
Top 3 VPN services for streaming F1
- NordVPN – best VPN for watching Formula 1
- Surfshark – great low-cost VPN for the Grand Prix
- VyprVPN – a good VPN for all types of streaming
Choosing a reliable VPN is essential if you want to watch Formula One without buffering from anywhere. It has to be fast and have a global server fleet as well as the ability to avoid geo-blocking. Below are our recommended VPN providers that can do it all.
1. NordVPN – the best option for F1 2021
|Servers/countries:||5,500+ servers in 59 countries|
Already mentioned above, NordVPN is probably the fastest service thanks to its impressive list of 5,200+ servers in 59 countries. The in-house NordLynx tunneling protocol should also be taken into account. With NordVPN, you'll be able to stream Formula 1 in high-quality video from most countries.
Additionally, this provider is great against geo-blocking. If you want to watch a stream from outside, you'll only need to select the right country. Connect to the US and enjoy the race on ESPN.
NordVPN has a 7-day free trial for Android that actually works on all devices. Besides, you can exercise a 30-day money-back guarantee. All pricing plans come with six simultaneous connections.
For more NordVPN features, see our NordVPN review.
- Unblocks many streaming sites
- Smart DNS feature
- Decent price
- Huge number of servers
- Lots of features
- WireGuard protocol
- No user interface on Linux
- No router application
2. Surfshark – fast and cheap Formula 1 VPN
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 65 countries|
Another great option for streaming F1 live online is Surfshark. It's known for exceptional performance which stems from having 3,200+ servers in 65 countries. Moreover, this provider uses the next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol, known for speed and security.
Surfshark easily unblocks streaming services from all around the world. And we're talking not only about F1 channels. Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and other content platforms will also be there for you. Expect to watch Formula 1 in HD or even UHD (4K), provided that your internet connection is decent.
There's a 7-day free trial for each Surfshark plan, which should be more than enough to see if you want to get it for the next Grand Prix. Furthermore, there's a 30-day money-back guarantee and no limit for connected devices. The latter means you can share your account with family and friends.
For more information, read our Surfshark VPN review.
- Unblocks Netflix
- Smart DNS feature
- Really cheap
- 24/7 chat support
- Good speeds
- No split tunneling on iOS
- No free version
3. VyprVPN – solid service for watching F1
|Servers/countries:||700+ servers in 70 countries|
Last but not least comes VyprVPN, a well-known provider that has it all. It has a decent global coverage (700+ servers in 70 countries) and excellent speeds, provided that you choose the new WireGuard tunneling protocol. What's more, VyprVPN owns alls of their servers making sure that your experience will be private and efficient.
Choosing this VPN for streaming is a great idea. It unblocks ABC, Sky Sports, Channel 4, and other popular Formula 1 channels. This also includes services like Netflix, Disney+, HBO Max, and others.
There is a 3-day free trial for Android and iOS users, which should give you plenty of time to make a decision. One account gets 5 active connections but you can easily increase the number by installing VyprVPN on a router.
For more information, read our VyprVPN review.
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Good connection speeds
- WireGuard support
- 3-day free trial
- Superb customer service
- Limited support for Linux
- Limited iOS app
How to choose a Formula One VPN
Many people all over the world don't have the possibility to watch F1 races. Fortunately, a good VPN will solve this problem once and for all. Here are a few tips to consider when selecting a VPN for Formula One:
- You get what you pay for. Paid VPNs are way more secure, as a lot of free VPNs don’t encrypt your connection, and might even inject your device with malware.
- Make sure the VPN companies don’t keep logs: Check the provider’s terms of service to ensure it won’t keep logs of your data. However, you shouldn't trust any "no-logs policies" from shady free VPNs.
- Long-term plans: If you commit to a VPN for at least a year, you can save quite a bit of money. For example, the bi-annual Surfshark plan has an impressive 81% discount.
- Country coverage. Good VPN services offer thousands of servers in tens of different countries. Remember: the more servers a VPN has, the less crowded they will be, allowing for better speeds.
How to stream Formula 1 in your country
Not every country has the right to broadcast F1, including the current Abu Dhabi Grand Prix race. So, depending on where you are in the world, you might well need to use a VPN to stream the races. Here’s how to watch Formula 1 in your country:
|United Kingdom||Sky Sports||Now TV|
|United States||ESPN||NBC Sports, F1 TV|
|Australia||Fox Sports||Kayo Sports|
|Finland||MTV Max||C More Max|
|Brazil||BandNews TV||F1 TV Pro|
How to watch Formula 1 online in Canada
If you’re in Canada, you can watch the races on Formula One TV Pro for CA$9.99 a month or CA$79.99 for the year.
Alternatively, you can watch the Sky One TV online or broadcast F1 on TSN, or watch it in French on RDS. You can sign up to either of these services for CA$19.99 a month. Or, if you just want to pay to watch specific races, you can pay CA$4.99 per day.
How to watch F1 online in the USA 2021
You can watch F1 in the US on ESPN. You can access it as part of your cable TV package, or you can sign up to a subscription for $30 per month.
How to watch Formula 1 in the UK
Sky Sports has the rights to broadcast F1 racing in the UK. So, if you want to watch all the action, your best bet would be to purchase a NOW TV Sky Sports F1 Season Ticket for £198. Or, you can pay £9 per race.
However, if you want to watch more sports, you might be better off with a Sky Sports Month Pass for £33.99. This gets you access to all 11 Sky Sports channels.
How to watch Abu Dhabi Grand Prix online in Australia
Fox Sports shows all the Sky Sports F1 coverage. It is available to Foxtel subscribers, with the prices starting at $69 per month.
Alternatively, you could opt for Kayo Sports, which is an online streaming service that costs $25 per month. This will give you access to the Fox Sports coverage for a fraction of the price.
How to watch F1 in Germany
If you want to watch the Grand Prix from Germany, then you should consider Sky Deutschland and RTL. However, the former option can be quite expensive – it costs €40 a month to watch the F1 live streams in HD with no commercials.
For this reason, it might be better to just download a VPN, pick a US server, and watch Formula 1 on SlingTV.
How to watch Formula 1 from India
Star Sports is one of the leading sports channels in India. It broadcasts a variety of sports events including the current Formula 1 race. Another good option for Indian sports fans accessing F1 on Hotstar. However, if you’re currently residing outside India, you’ll need a VPN in order to access it.
How to stream F1 on your device
You can catch all the Formula One action on any smart device (like Fire Stick or Roku), so long as you can link it up to your VPN.
Also, you can watch it on your laptop or smartphone if you’re away from home. Or you can use your smart TV, streaming stick, or a game console to put it on the TV and watch it with your family.
All you need to do is download a VPN app, create an account and connect to whatever server you want. You can watch Formula 1 with a VPN on both Android and iOS devices, with a streaming stick (such as Roku, Amazon Fire TV, or Chromecast), various gaming consoles (like PlayStation and Xbox), and a myriad of smart TVs (i.e., Apple TV and Android TV).
In case you want to choose a VPN according to your device, check out these lists below and pick the one that suits your needs the best:
How to watch Formula 1 on Android online
If your country doesn't stream Formula 1, you can bypass this restriction with a VPN and watch the race on your Android phone or tablet. This is how you do that:
- Download a reputable VPN (NordVPN is our top choice for Android)
- Select the country you want to connect to (like the US)
- Go to a streaming platform available in that location, sign up for an account, and start watching F1
How to stream Formula 1 races on iOS
You can easily watch the upcoming race on your iPhone or iPad thanks to the fact that most VPN providers offer native iOS applications. Just follow these steps:
- Pick a good VPN and download it (currently, NordVPN has a great iOS app)
- Connect to the country whose streaming service you want to use
- Open F1 TV or any other sports streaming platform and watch Formula 1
How to watch Formula One online on Mac
If you only have a macOS device, it doesn’t mean you can’t watch Formula 1. On the contrary – streaming the race is super easy. Here’s what you should do:
- Download and install the VPN of your choice. We recommend NordVPN for Mac
- Open the streaming service that corresponds to your spoofed location
- Create an account and watch the F1 event real-time
How to stream F1 races on Fire TV Stick
Yes, it’s possible to watch Formula 1 online on your Fire TV Stick. Just follow the steps provided below and you’ll be watching Formula One in no time:
- Download a VPN to your Fire Stick (for example, NordVPN has a dedicated app for that)
- Connect to the server of your choice
- Look for a streaming platform that live streams Formula 1 and start watching
Watch F1 live stream on Roku
Last year, the organizers behind Formula 1 made it possible to watch the race on Roku devices. However, if you live outside the US, you’ll need a VPN to watch F1 on Roku. Here’s what you should do:
- Download NordVPN or any other VPN that supports the Roku media player
- Install the VPN on your router and pick the location you need (in this case, it’s the US)
- Start your Roku device and select the Formula 1 event
Why do you need a VPN to stream F1?
If you live in a country that doesn't have rights to broadcast Formula 1 races, you will need a VPN to access them.
You can use a VPN to bypass geo-location blocks. So, for example, you can use a VPN to connect to a US server. You will then be issued with a new IP address from that server, which will trick apps and sites into believing you are actually in the US. This means you can now access F1 races on ESPN.
A VPN not only helps you access content from other countries, but it also protects your real IP address while you are online, thereby keeping you safe from data theft and viruses. Additionally, your traffic will be encrypted with a military-grade cipher, meaning no third party could tell what you're doing online. If you are using an unofficial stream to watch the races for free, it’s very important to use a reputable VPN for security reasons as well as to unblock geo-restrictions.
So, if you go to rewatch the race on a free website, a VPN service will hide your personal and private browsing behavior and history. This means you won’t get caught streaming F1 from a site that doesn’t officially own the rights.
However, you don't really need to download and install a VPN to use one. You can simply get a browser extension, skipping a few steps of installation:
How to stream Formula 1 for free?
We also found a method to watch F1 for free:
- Connect to a server in Austria. We recommend NordVPN.
- Head to Servus. This website has free F1 streams, but in German.
- For English commentary, install a NordVPN browser extension and connect to UK.
- Open a separate window and go to online BBC radio channel.
- Now you have an English audio with a live free video stream!
If you’re not willing to pay for a VPN and TV service subscription, our Servus TV method should do the trick. However, there are alternative methods how you could watch it for free. For each of them to work, you’ll have to connect to the designated country and head to the streaming provider’s page.
Watch older runs. Some websites like Austrian ORF, Indian Hotstar show past races. If you can manage without the live translation, this could be a simple trick to watch what actually happened during the event. In most cases, you won’t even need to register.
Take free streaming trials. Viaplay in Lithuania, ESPN in the USA, and Spark Sport in New Zealand have at least seven-day free trials. With them, you will be able to watch the race live as it happens. When you exceed the trial, head to another service – rinse and repeat. That way, you could watch most of the races just with the trial accounts.
If you want to set up a VPN on your router, getting NordVPN or Surfshark will be more than enough – they allow manual router configuration and work with many devices thanks to the Smart DNS option.
Formula 1 Grand Prix 2021 overview
Each Grand Prix is made up of a series of practice and qualifying sessions, followed by a main race, which usually takes place on a Sunday afternoon local time. The drivers are given points depending on their finishing positions. The driver with the most points over the season wins the Championship. Meanwhile, the car makers, like Mercedes and Ferrari, compete for the Constructors Championship Award.
There are many things to get excited about this season. Lewis Hamilton is tipped to make history in 2021, by winning his eighth title. This will see him surpass Michael Schumacher to make him the most successful F1 driver of all time.
But, one of the drivers Hamilton will need to beat is Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Schumacher. After winning Formula 2 last year, Mick made his Formula 1 debut and will no doubt be keen to protect his father’s record. Regardless, Formula One fans are excited to see a Schumacher on the grid, even though he's still with zero points at the bottom of the 2021 F1 standings.
This year also sees the return of one of Michael Schumacher’s rivals, Fernando Alonso, who is competing for the first time since 2018.
Here are the current Top 10 F1 driver standings in 2021:
2021 Formula 1 race schedule
As with most events, this year’s F1 race schedule is subject to change due to the varying restrictions and COVID-19 cases in the participating countries.
However, at the time of writing, the upcoming F1 2021 schedule looks like this:
- Jul. 30-Aug. 1 — Hungarian Grand Prix
- Aug. 27-29 — Belgian Grand Prix
- Sept. 3-5 — Dutch Grand Prix
- Sept. 10-12 — Italian Grand Prix
- Sept. 24-26 — Russian Grand Prix
- Oct. 8-10 — Turkish Grand Prix
- Oct. 13-14 — Pro Championship - Event 1
- Oct. 22-24 — United States Grand Prix
- Oct. 27-28 — Pro Championship - Event 2
- Nov. 5-7 — Mexico Grand Prix
- Nov. 12-14 — Brazil Grand Prix
- Nov. 19-21 — Qatar Grand Prix
- Nov. 24-25 — Pro Championship - Event 3
- Dec. 3-5 — Saudi Arabia Grand Prix
- Dec. 10-12 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Dec. 15-16 Pro Championship - Event 4
2020 Formula 1 winners
Lewis Hamilton took home his 7th Formula One Championship in 2020, after winning 11 of the 17 races. However, due to COVID-19, the season was condensed, and the start was delayed until July.
Here are the list of winners of each last season's Grand Prix:
- July 3-5: Austrian Grand Prix won by Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes)
- July 10-12: Styrian Grand Prix won by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- July 17-19: Hungarian Grand Prix won by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- July 31-Aug 2: British Grand Prix won by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Aug 7-9: Formula One 70th Anniversary Grand Prix won by Max Verstappen (Red Bull Racing-Honda)
- Aug 14-16: Spanish Grand Prix won by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Aug 28-30: Belgian Grand Prix won by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Sept 4-6: Italian Grand Prix won by Pierre Gasly (AlphaTauri-Honda)
- Sept 11-13: Tuscan Grand Prix won by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Sept 25-27: Russian Grand Prix won by Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes)
- Oct 9-11: Eifel Grand Prix won by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Oct 23-25: Portuguese Grand Prix won by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Oct 30-Nov 1: Emilia Romagna Grand Prix won by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Nov 13-15: Turkish Grand Prix won by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Nov 27-29: Bahrain Grand Prix won by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
- Dec 4-6: Sakhir Grand Prix won by Sergio Perez (Racing Point-BWT Mercedes)
- Dec 11-13: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix won by Max Verstappen (Red Bull Racing-Honda)
This year’s F1 winner predictions
Lewis Hamilton is again a favorite to win. This would be Hamilton’s 8th Championship, meaning that he would overtake Michael Schumacher to hold the record of winning the most championships ever.
However, Max Verstappen isn't too far back to bounce back and take the trophy. Mercedes is still a favorite to take home the Constructors Championship Award.
One thing is for sure though, this year’s F1 will be impacted by COVID-19. China’s Grand Prix has already been postponed, the Australian Grand Prix has been moved from March to November and other races could be postponed.
What do you think will happen at the 2021 F1 Grand Prix? Let us know in the comments below.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
- How to watch Champions League
- How to watch Premiers League
- How to watch Rugby games online
- How to watch MLB online
- How to watch US Open Tennis
- How to stream Super Bowl online
Can you watch F1 on Amazon Prime?
No, you can’t. While Amazon is in advanced talks to bring F1 to its Prime platform, it is currently unavailable to stream on Amazon.
How to watch Formula 1 for free?
While there isn’t an official way to watch F1 live, you can use a VPN to access the free-to-air coverage on Match TV in Russia or ServusTV and ORF in Austria. You may need to sync the footage to English commentary though.
What channel is Formula 1 on?
It is broadcast on ESPN in the US, Fox Sports in Australia, Sky Sports in the United Kingdom and TSN in Canada.
How can you watch F1 replay after it airs?
Each country that has the rights to broadcast F1 will show a highlights package. And you can catch replays of the races on the ESPN app, F1TV app or Sky Sports app.