Due to a change in licensing, Friends left US Netflix earlier this year. Fortunately, there are many legitimate ways to watch Friends online despite that inconvenience. However, these sources tend to be geo-restricted, so you’ll need to use a VPN to access them.
|Number of seasons:||10 (236 episodes)|
|Watch anywhere:||Get NordVPN – 68% OFF|
|Watch in the US:||HBO Max|
|Watch in the UK:||Netflix, Amazon Prime Video|
Though there are multiple unlicensed third-party streams available, we don’t recommend using them. This is because the video quality tends to be poor, and they are often taken offline for copyright violation.
In this article we’ll take you through the process and show you exactly how to watch Friends online – wherever you are.
Now, all you need to do is visit your chosen site and create an account if needed, and you’re all set to start watching Friends! If it doesn’t work immediately, try clearing your cookies and reloading the page.
How to watch Friends online with a VPN
- Choose a reputable VPN. We suggest NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Choose the streaming site that shows Friends.
- Connect to a server in the required location.
- Sit back and enjoy!
Why do you need a VPN to watch Friends?
Friends is only available on streaming services that restrict viewing for specific countries. This is known as geo-restricting or geo-blocking. The only way to get around these restrictions is to spoof your location using a VPN.
Friends is no longer available on the US Netflix, but it is still available in many other countries. With a VPN, you can change your online location so that you can watch the show from a country where Friends is accessible.
For instance, if you live in the US, you can use a VPN to change your Netflix region to the UK. This will enable you to view Friends on Netflix UK.
Best VPNs to watch Friends online
Finding the most capable VPN that unblocks all major streaming sites is not easy. That's why we tested a bunch of providers and picked only the ones that can help you to watch Friends online:
- NordVPN – best VPN for watching Friends online overall
- Surfshark – reliable and budget-friendly VPN
- IPVanish – VPN that works amazingly well with most streaming sites
Where can you watch Friends online?
You can watch Friends online on multiple streaming services depending on your location. In case you won't find your country mentioned below, simply use a VPN to change your location and start watching Friends on any of the chosen streaming sites from wherever you are.
|Streaming service||Countries where Friends is available|
|Netflix||UK | Canada | Australia | India|
|Amazon Prime||UK | US|
How to watch Friends on Netflix
- Buy and install a VPN – we suggest NordVPN.
- Launch your VPN and connect to a server in the UK, Canada, or any country that has Friends in its Netflix library.
- Sign in to your Netflix account.
- Search for Friends on Netflix and start watching!
How to watch Friends on HBO
- Buy and install a VPN – we suggest NordVPN.
- Sign in to your VPN and connect to a US server.
- Go to hbomax.com and log in or click to start a free trial.
- Create an account if needed.
- Enter a US address (you can use a US address generator for this).
- Search for Friends and start streaming!
How to stream Friends outside your country
In this section we’ll explain how you can stream Friends outside of your country. Keep reading to find out which networks are streaming Friends, and how you can access them - depending on where you live.
If you’re based in Canada – you can watch every season of Friends on Netflix. It’s also possible to purchase individual seasons on Amazon Prime Video or iTunes. Of course, you will need to reside in Canada to do this. If you’re outside of Canada, you can connect to a Canadian VPN server to watch Friends online.
Don't miss a chance to check our best VPNs for Canada.
Friends are now available in the US on HBO Max. This service costs $14.99 per month.
Alternative ways to watch Friends online in the US are through Amazon Prime or TBS. TBS shows around 50 episodes a week and is completely free. It’s possible to buy individual seasons of Friends on Amazon Prime for $19.99.
As expected, these services are geo-locked. If you’re outside of the US, you will need a good VPN provider that has plenty of servers in the US.
UK residents are lucky that Friends is still available on Netflix UK. A subscription to this service costs £5.99 a month, and there is a one-month free trial available.
Friends is also available in the UK on Channel 5. These episodes can’t be watched on-demand, and it’s not possible to live stream the channel. However, it is possible to watch Channel 5 live and free of charge on TVPlayer.com.
Netflix UK and TVPlayer.com are both region-locked. If you are outside of the UK, you will need to follow the steps we listed above and use a VPN to connect to a UK server in order to watch Friends online.
Check this guide to find out the best VPNs for UK.
If you’re in Australia, you can watch every single episode of Friends on Stan. Plans for this streaming service start at $10 AUD per month, and there’s a 30-day free trial. It’s also possible to watch Friends in Australia on Foxtel TV by going to the Foxtel Go app and viewing the show on Fox Hits.
Stan and Foxtel require you to be in Australia to watch their content. You can access these services from outside of the country by using a VPN and connecting to an Australian server. We recommend using NordVPN as it provides fast and secure servers in Australia.
How to watch Friends on your device
Streaming Friends on your device is fairly simple. The steps, however, will differ slightly from one device to another.
Check our recommended VPNs for variuos devices:
In this section we’ll take you through the process for each device.
Watch Friends on your PC (Windows and Mac)
If you would like to watch Friends on a device that runs on Windows 10 or a Mac, you won’t need to install anything as you can simply use your browser. This is how to watch Friends on Windows and Mac:
- Download a VPN, such as NordVPN on your computer.
- Install the VPN and select a server for a country that shows Friends. For example, if you plan to watch on UK Netflix, you’ll need to select a UK server.
- Head to your streaming service of choice.
- Select a show and enjoy!
Watch Friends on Android
If you want to watch Friends on an Android device, these are the steps you should follow:
- Download a VPN and install on your router. Alternatively, you can install it on a laptop that can create a mobile hotspot. We recommend NordVPN.
- Change your IP address to suit the streaming service you have chosen.
- Connect your Android device to your wifi network or the mobile hotspot.
- Go to your Google Play app.
- Install the app for the streaming service of your choice.
- Open the app, search for Friends and enjoy!
Watch Friends on iOS (iPhone or iPad)
Watching Friends online on an iOS device is a similar process to that of watching on an Android. Follow the below steps to do so:
- Download and install a VPN, such as NordVPN, on your router or laptop.
- Choose an IP address that fits your streaming service.
- Connect your iPad or iPhone to your router or mobile hotspot
- Head over the App Store
- Download and install the app for your streaming service.
- Sign in and start watching!
Struggling to watch Friends online with a VPN?
Sometimes, you may find that you are unable to watch Friends online – even if you have a VPN. This probably means that you need a better or different VPN for streaming.
If your VPN isn’t working, it’s likely that you are connected to a server that is geo-locked by the streaming platform you are using. To fix this issue, first check if your VPN is running properly. If it is, then you probably need a better VPN.
Below, we’ve listed a few other issues that can pop up when trying to watch Friends online:
- The GPS location of your device and the IP address are not the same
- Your streaming service has blacklisted the servers used by your VPN
- Your actual IP address is leaking
- The VPN you are using isn’t capable of unblocking the streaming service
- The streaming service has upgraded its geo-blocking protocols and your VPN isn’t working any longer
- You have cookies on your device that are letting the streaming service know you’re not in the UK
If met with any of these issues, you can try the following solutions:
- Try a different browser and clear your cookies
- Contact customer support for your VPN and check to see if the server you’re using unblocks the streaming services that you need
- Search for the leak protection setting on your VPN and enable it
How to watch the Friends reunion
Rumours of a reunion first started to circulate back in early 2020. Production has been pushed back several times, but filming finally wrapped in April 2021.
And, at last, we have some good news. Friends: The Reunion, a.k.a. "The One Where They Get Back Together" will finally premiere on May 27th on HBO Max.
If you’re eager to see the original cast return but HBO Max is unavailable in your country, you can still access the show with the right VPN. Here’s how you do it:
- Pick a VPN that unblocks HBO Max. We found that NordVPN is able to do that.
- Install the app, log into your account, and connect to an American server.
- Go to HBO and create an account. Remember that you’ll need a payment card linked to a US address.
That’s it! Now you can watch the newest episode of Friends as soon as it comes out.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How to watch The Walking Dead from anywhere
How to watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
How to watch Emmys awards online
How to watch Love Island
How to watch Yellowstone season 4
How to watch SNL online
How to watch Matrix 4 online
How to watch Marvel movies on Netflix
How to watch Star Trek: discovery online
How to watch Game of Thrones from anywhere
How can I watch Friends online without Netflix?
You can watch Friends online on a number of different streaming services. These include HBO and Amazon Prime.
Is Friends on Amazon Prime?
Yes. All 10 seasons of Friends are available to buy on Amazon Prime.
Where can I watch Friends for free in 2021?
If you have a Netflix, Amazon Prime or HBO subscription, you can watch Friends for free on any of these services.
Is it legal to stream with a VPN?
Yes. Although using a VPN to stream geo-restricted content goes against the terms and conditions of streaming services - it is not illegal.