The most awaited event of the year, the 2023 Rugby World Cup, kicked off on September 8th, 2023. The games are available to stream online on Peacock Premium in the US and ITVX in the UK.
But how can you make sure you catch every game if you’re in the USA or the UK? Rugby League World Cup will be streamed on channels that might be geo-blocked in your country, but help is at hand in the shape of a VPN.
All you need to do is read our detailed guide, and you’ll soon be able to watch all the Rugby League World Cup games you want online in the USA, or anywhere else in the world, with the help of a VPN.
How to watch Rugby League World Cup in the USA with a VPN
- The first thing to do is find a reliable VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 67% OFF!
- Download, install, and launch the VPN on your device
- Connect to a server in a country that shows Rugby League World Cup (USA)
- Find a streaming service that’s showing the games, like Peacock TV, and settle back for sports fun!
Why do you need a VPN to watch Rugby League World Cup online?
Rugby League World Cup is a hugely popular event with followers all around the world. While there are many streaming channels showing sports action, they have to adhere to their licensing agreements. This implies geo-restrictions, which will block you from watching the content outside of the broadcasting location.
Since the World Cup is available to watch via Peacock in the US, if you’re trying to connect outside the US, you’ll run into an error message:
This is where a VPN proves to be useful. VPNs hide your IP address by connecting you to a server somewhere else in the world, so you can essentially choose a new location to be your IP address. Pick a place that’s showing rugby, and you’ll then be able to access that location’s streaming sites from the USA, UK, or any other country. VPNs are very easy to set up and come with all sorts of other benefits, especially if you’re interested in privacy and security.
But with so many VPNs to choose from, you’d be forgiven for being a little confused. We’ve made life easier for you by doing rigorous tests to establish exactly which VPNs are best for watching rugby. Here’s what we found.
Best VPNs to watch Rugby League World Cup online in 2024
- NordVPN – best all-around VPN to watch Rugby League World Cup
- Surfshark – cheap and versatile VPN for streaming Rugby League World Cup
- IPVanish – secure VPN for watching Rugby League World Cup
Features, value for money, and unblocking capabilities are some of the things we looked for when deciding on the best VPNs for watching Rugby League World Cup online. Out of all the VPNs we tested out, the following three were found to perform most efficiently, have excellent speeds, and good price-to-quality ratio.
1. NordVPN – best VPN to watch Rugby World Cup 2024
|6100+ servers in 61 countries
|Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more
|NordVPN coupon 67% OFF
NordVPN is the best VPN to watch Rugby League World Cup 2023 in the USA.
With over 6100 servers in 61 countries and over 1700 servers in the US alone, you’ll always be able to find a reliable server to connect to, be it New York or California, and NordVPN’s servers are proven to unblock practically any streaming service you can think of. From BBC iPlayer to Sky Sports to ESPN, you’ll never have a problem watching rugby in the USA or any other country.
NordVPN will give you great speeds using the NordLynx tunneling protocol, so you can watch those rugby games in seamless HD streams too. With additional features like SmartPlay (Smart DNS), split tunneling, and military-grade encryption included, you just can’t go wrong with NordVPN.
NordVPN’s prices start at $3.39/month. There's also the possibility to get a free trial for NordVPN or use a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more NordVPN features, see our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – affordable VPN to stream Rugby League World Cup online
|3200+ servers in 100 countries
|Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more
|Surfshark coupon 79% OFF
Surfshark proved to be one of the best VPNs for watching Rugby League World Cup in the US and other locations. Its 3200+ servers in 100 countries consistently unblock streaming sites such as ITVX, NBC, Peacock TV, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, Sky Sports, and others.
Surfshark uses WireGuard, the fastest tunneling protocol available, to keep its servers fast and your HD streams smooth. The main features are split tunneling, and Smart DNS, but Surfshark also has a secret weapon – unlimited simultaneous connections. This means you can connect as many devices as you want on just one subscription, fantastic value.
Surfshark subscription plans start at $2.29/month. You can also claim a 7-day free trial or a 30-day money-back guarantee if you simply want to try out the VPN for free.
Read our Surfshark review to learn more.
3. IPVanish – a secure solution for watching Rugby League World Cup
|2200+ servers in 52+ countries
|Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Disney+, and more
|IPVanish coupon 75% OFF
IPVanish combines content unblocking, fast streaming speeds, and value for money to come out as another excellent VPN for watching rugby, whether you're in the US or outside the country.
As mentioned, unblocking content is no problem for IPVanish, so whatever channel is showing rugby, you’ll be able to watch it from the US or anywhere else.
IPVanish offers a server fleet of over 2200 servers in 52 countries, robust security features, including a customizable kill switch, powerful AES-256 encryption, and a no-logs policy. Just like Surfshark, IPVanish also offers unlimited simultaneous connections, so with this VPN, your whole family can unblock rugby streams on every device in the house.
IPVanish is a little bit more pricey – its plans start at $3.25/month. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more detail, read our full IPVanish review.
Top streaming services to watch rugby online
You can catch Rugby League World Cup and other season games on a range of online channels and streaming sites. Rugby is huge in the US, and as such, a lot of the US TV channels show rugby on their online streaming services, including:
- NBC Sports app
Since these are US-based channels, you’ll need to be in the US to access them. Alternatively, you can access them from anywhere in the world (UK and other countries) by using a VPN to hide your actual IP address and make the streaming site think you’re in the US by connecting to a US server. You can also use a selection of streaming services to watch rugby too. These include:
|Price per month
|Hulu + Live TV
Remember, depending on your location, you might be geo-blocked from these services. To ensure you’ll always have access to every rugby game you want to watch, sign up for a top-rated VPN.
How to watch Rugby League World Cup with a VPN on your device
Rugby is shown on all sorts of channels and streaming sites online. And the magic of online content is that you can watch it on a wide range of devices. From laptops to smartphones, with a VPN, you can unblock rugby action no matter what your chosen device is. Here’s how you can do it in a few easy steps:
- Stream rugby with a quality VPN for Mac
- Check out the best VPN services for Windows
- Unblock rugby games with the best VPN apps for iPhone
- Watch rugby online on your phone with a VPN for Android
How to watch rugby on a PC (Windows and Mac)
Watching Rugby World Cup matches on your PC, whether it’s Windows or Mac, is so easy that you can be up and running in minutes, thanks to these simple instructions:
- Choose a VPN that you know unblocks rugby broadcasters. For example, NordVPN
- Download, sign up, and install the VPN on your computer
- Launch your newly installed VPN app
- Connect to a server in a rugby showing location
- Now you can watch rugby!
How to watch rugby on a smartphone (Android and iOS)
It doesn’t matter if you use an Android or iOS smartphone, it’s still simple to watch rugby by following these quick VPN steps.
How to watch rugby on Android smartphones
- Head to the Google Play Store on your Android smartphone and download NordVPN application
- Install the VPN on your device
- Launch VPN’s app, connect to a new server
- Open up a streaming site that shows rugby and you’re all set!
How to watch rugby on iPhone and iPad
- Pick up your iPhone or iPad and go to the iOS App Store
- Pick a VPN, we recommend NordVPN
- Download, install and open your chosen VPN
- Connect to a new server, UK locations are great for rugby
- Go to a UK TV channel and catch up on rugby!
How to stream Rugby League World Cup on streaming devices
With so many great streaming services showing rugby matches, you’ll have no problem watching all the games you want. However, the only way you can ensure you have access to every site you’d like is by using a VPN. It might sound technical, but it’s very straightforward.
How to stream rugby on Roku
While Roku doesn’t support direct VPN downloads, there’s a simple hack to get connected, and it involves installing a VPN onto your router.
- Pick a VPN that works on routers, like NordVPN
- Download and install a VPN to your router
- Connect to a server in a rugby-friendly location
- Open Roku, find the channel you want to watch, and put on rugby!
How to stream rugby on Kodi
Kodi is another service that can get you all the rugby games you want, but you’ll need to get your router connected to a VPN to avoid geo-restrictions:
- Install NordVPN on your router
- Find a new server to connect to
- Pick a streaming service that broadcasts rugby on Kodi, like BBC iPlayer
- Now you’re all set to watch rugby!
How to stream rugby on Apple TV
Apple TV offers a wide selection of channels, services, and apps that show rugby. With a VPN set up on your router, you’ll be able to watch all of them no matter where you may be in the world.
- Choose a VPN that is compatible with routers. NordVPN is one of them
- Set up a VPN on your router
- Open the VPN and connect to a new server
- Turn on Apple TV and watch some rugby!
How to stream rugby on Firestick
Getting a VPN connected to Amazon Firestick is a breeze. Follow these steps for simple rugby streaming.
- Download NordVPN onto your Firestick
- Install and set up the VPN
- Find a new server and connect
- Pick an app that’s showing rugby (like BBC iPlayer) and watch the game!
How to register for rugby streaming sites outside of your region
From TV channels like the BBC to streaming services like ESPN+, there are many options when it comes to watching rugby games. Some come with subscription fees, some are completely free, but the common feature is that you’ll almost always need to register an account with the service. You might be blocked from signing up due to geo-restrictions if you’re not in the right region.
So what can you do? Reliable VPNs will hide your actual IP address and change it to a location of your choosing. This way, you can trick streaming services into thinking you’re in their region and they won’t block you from making an account. In this way, you can access sites like BBC iPlayer from the USA and other blocked countries.
How to watch rugby games in your country
|8 September – 28 October 2023
|Stream in the UK:
|Get NordVPN – 67% OFF
|Stream in the US:
Rugby is a global sport, with fans in all corners of the world. Geo-restrictions might get in the way of watching rugby, but there’s no need to miss out. By using a VPN, you not only gain access to live rugby matches but also ensure your online privacy and security. This added layer of protection will keep your personal information safe while you cheer on your favorite teams from anywhere in the world, making your rugby-watching experience even more enjoyable. Just follow these steps to enjoy rugby action.
- Choose a VPN and download it onto your PC, Mac, iPhone, Android tablet, or any other compatible device. We recommend NordVPN
- Sign up for a subscription and run the VPN
- Change your server to a location that you know has rugby broadcasts, like the US
- Pick a channel or streaming site, like Peacock TV, and you're ready to roll!
This can also be helpful when you're traveling, as your streaming account might not work outside your home country. Just one more reason to get a VPN!
Can’t access rugby stream even with a VPN?
Sometimes, users can't access their preferred streaming platforms even when a VPN is in use. There are a few different reasons why you might experience this:
- The VPN is leaking your real IP address
- Cookies expose your real location
- The streaming site blocked known VPN IP addresses
- The VPN you're using can't unblock streaming sites
Luckily, there are a few things you can do despite the initial disappointment:
- Check whether your VPN is leaking your IP by googling "what is my IP address". If the VPN is leaking, try another service entirely.
- Try changing the server without changing your desired location. You can simply reconnect to the needed country or choose another server yourself (which is possible with NordVPN).
- After connecting to the VPN, restart the browser or even try the Incognito mode.
- Clear the cookies and cache files on your device.
- If nothing works, try contacting the customer support of your VPN service.
Don't be afraid to change your VPN if it can't unblock anything you need. The majority of VPNs on the market offer a 30-day money-back guarantee that will let you check whether the tool works with your preferred streaming site.
How to watch Rugby League World Cup free online
You can technically watch Rugby League World Cup for free online with a free VPN. We generally don’t recommend this as you will be putting yourself at risk of malware and data theft. If you would still like to opt for a free version, Proton VPN and Atlas VPN stand out for offering a decent service, so you could give them a try.
Alternatively, our top 3 VPNs for watching rugby in the US come with 30-day money-back guarantees, you can essentially use them for free for a whole month. This makes watching the matches for free online quite easy if you know what to do.
- NordVPN. You can get a 7-day trial on mobile, or use the tool's 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark. Like NordVPN, Surfshark offers a 7-day free trial for Android and iOS devices.
- IPVanish. If you want to test this service for free, make sure you use its 30-day money-back guarantee.
What is the biggest rugby event in 2023/24?
Rugby Union, Rugby League, Rugby Challenge Cup – there are all sorts of rugby leagues, tournaments, and events going on in the 2023/24 season. The big one this year is the Rugby World Cup, which will be held in France from September 8 to October 28, 2023.
Another huge upcoming rugby event is the 2024 Six Nations Championship, which will take place from February 3 to March 17, 2024. Here's the 2023/24 rugby games calendar so that you wouldn't miss the games:
|2023 Rugby World Cup
|September 8 – October 28
|13 October 2023 – 8 June 2024
|Autumn Nations: international rugby union
|World Rugby Sevens Series
|2 December 2023 – 2 June 2024
|Six Nations Championship
|2 February 2024 – 16 March 2024
|Rugby union: EPCR Challenge Cup final
|24-25 May 2024
|Rugby union: Heineken Champions Cup final
With a VPN installed on your device, you’ll never have to worry about missing a rugby game again. Wherever you are in the world – US, Europe, Asia – you’ll be able to get around the geo-blocks that content providers put up. Remember, not only can a VPN hide your IP address and help you access content, but it can also help you stay secure and private online.
If you want to stream Rugby League World Cup in 2024 from anywhere, you’re going to need a reliable VPN to bypass geo-restrictions and access the streaming services where the matches are being broadcast. In this guide, we recommend you some VPNs that works with your preferred streaming platforms and is compatible with your device – it's better to prepare in advance!
In case you're not sure which service to choose, you can simply go with NordVPN, as it usually fits the needs of the vast majority of users. It also has a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you won't be risking any money!
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How can I watch the Rugby World Cup in the US?
To watch the Rugby World Cup in the US, you can use Peacock, NBCSports.com, or the NBC Sports app. Some games will also air on CNBC. If you're outside the US, you can use a VPN like NordVPN to connect to a US server and watch the games on any of these streaming platforms.
Which channel is the Rugby World Cup on?
To watch the Rugby World Cup in the UK, you can tune in to ITV. All 48 matches of the tournament will be broadcast live on ITV1 and ITV4, as well as streamed live on ITVX.
To watch the Rugby World Cup in the USA, you can stream all 48 matches live on Peacock, NBCSports.com, or the NBC Sports app. A select number of matches will also air on CNBC.
Can I use VPN to watch local sports?
Yes, you can use a VPN to watch local sports. If you’re trying to access a streaming site outside of your home location, you can still cheer on your team by using a reliable VPN like NordVPN to hide your IP address.
Does RugbyPass work with a VPN?
Yes, you can use a VPN to watch RugbyPass. Just download a recommended VPN, like NordVPN, install it on your device, connect to a server, and then head over to RugbyPass and make an account to unblock its content.
Is it legal to stream rugby games online with a VPN?
Yes, it is entirely legal to stream rugby games online with a VPN. While some streaming services may prohibit the use of VPNs, it’s not against the law. The worst that can happen is that your VPN connection could be blocked by a streaming site.