Big rugby fan? We’re not surprised. This thrilling sport is watched all over the world, with numerous leagues, tournaments, and competitions played throughout the year.
The 2022–23 World Rugby Sevens Series kicked off on November 4th and will last until May 21st, 2023. You can catch every game live on beIN SPORTS, or stream online on Kayo, CBC Gem, and a few other platforms.
|Dates:||4 November 2022 – 21 May 2023|
|Stream in the UK:||Sky Sports|
|Stream anywhere:||Get NordVPN – 68%% OFF|
|Stream in Canada:||CBC gem|
|Stream in Australia:||Kayo Sports|
So how can you make sure you catch every game if you’re in the USA? Many games will be streamed on channels that might be geo-blocked in the States, including BT Sport and ITV, but help is at hand in the shape of a VPN.
All you need to do is read our detailed guide, and you’ll soon be able to watch all the rugby games you want online in the USA, or anywhere else in the world, with the help of a VPN.
Watch rugby games online with a VPN
- The first thing to do is find a reliable VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Download, install, and launch the VPN on your device.
- Connect to a server in a country that shows rugby broadcasts, like the UK.
- Find a channel that’s showing the games, like Sky Sports, and settle back for sports fun!
As you can see, a VPN can get you connected to rugby matches in four simple steps. It’s by far the easiest way to get around geo-restrictions and get access to sports, streaming, and worldwide content.
Why do you need a VPN to watch rugby online?
Rugby is a hugely popular sport with followers all around the world. While there are many streaming channels showing sports action, they have to adhere to their licensing agreements. This implies geo-restrictions, which will block you from watching the content outside of the broadcasting location.
This is where a VPN proves to be useful. VPNs are clever tools that can hide your IP address by connecting you to a server somewhere else in the world, so you can essentially choose a new location to be your IP address. Pick a place that’s showing rugby, and you’ll then be able to access that location’s streaming sites from the USA or any other country! VPNs are very easy to set up and come with all sorts of other benefits, especially if you’re interested in privacy and security.
But with so many VPNs to choose from, you’d be forgiven for being a little confused. We’ve made life easier for you by doing rigorous tests to establish exactly which VPNs are best for watching rugby. Here’s what we found.
Best VPNs to watch rugby online
- NordVPN – best all-around VPN to watch rugby games
- Surfshark – cheap and versatile VPN for streaming rugby
- IPVanish – secure VPN for watching rugby online
Features, value for money, and unblocking capabilities are some of the things we looked for when deciding on the best VPNs for watching rugby online. Out of all the VPNs we tested out, the following three were found to perform most efficiently, have excellent speeds and good price-to-quality ratio.
1. NordVPN – the best all-round VPN for unblocking rugby
|🖥️Servers:||5500+ servers in 59 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 68% OFF|
NordVPN is a strong all-rounder that does everything a VPN should do in style.
With over 5500 servers in 59 countries, you’ll always be able to find a reliable server to connect to, and NordVPN’s servers are proven to unblock practically any streaming service you can think of. From BBC iPlayer to Sky Sports to ESPN, you’ll never have a problem watching rugby in the USA or any other country.
NordVPN will give you great speeds using the NordLynx tunneling protocol, so you can watch those rugby games in seamless HD streams too. With additional features like SmartPlay (Smart DNS), split tunneling, and military-grade encryption included, you just can’t go wrong with NordVPN.
For more NordVPN features, see our NordVPN review.
- Excellent security
- SmartDNS feature
- Obfuscated servers
- Audited no-logs policy
- No router app
2. Surfshark – affordable VPN to stream sports online
|🌎Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|🖥️Servers:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|🔥Coupons:||Surfshark coupon 84% OFF|
Surfshark also proved to be one of the best VPNs for watching rugby games in the USA and other locations. Its 3200+ servers in 100 countries consistently unblock streaming sites such as BBC iPlayer, ESPN, Sky Sports, and others.
Surfshark uses WireGuard, the best tunneling protocol available, to keep its servers fast and your HD streams smooth. The main features are all here, too, like split tunneling and Smart DNS, but Surfshark also has a secret weapon – unlimited simultaneous connections. This means you can connect as many devices as you want on just one subscription, fantastic value.
Read our Surfshark review for more info, or go straight to its coupon page if you want to get the service with a discount. You can also claim a 7-day free trial if you simply want to try out the VPN for free.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Affordable price
- Very fast
- Unblocks most sports platforms
- No router app
3. IPVanish – a secure solution for watching rugby games
|🌎Based in:||United States|
|🖥️Servers:||2000+ servers in 50+ countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|🔥Coupons:||IPVanish coupon 71% OFF|
IPVanish combines content unblocking, fast streaming speeds, and value for money to come out as another excellent VPN for watching rugby.
As mentioned, unblocking content is no problem for IPVanish, so whatever channel is showing rugby, you’ll be able to watch it from the US or anywhere else.
IPVanish also offers robust security features, including a customizable kill switch, military-grade encryption, and a no-logs policy. Just like Surfshark, IPVanish also offers unlimited simultaneous connections, so with this VPN, your whole family can unblock rugby streams on every device in the house!
- Lots of security features
- No-logs policy
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- No router app
- No browser extensions
Top streaming services to watch rugby online
You can catch rugby games on a range of online channels and streaming sites. Rugby is huge in the UK, and as such, a lot of the UK’s TV channels show rugby on their online streaming services, including:
- BBC iPlayer
- ITV Hub
- All 4
- Sky Sports
But since these are UK channels, you’ll need to be in the UK to access them. Alternatively, you can access them from anywhere in the world (USA and other countries) by using a VPN to hide your actual IP address and make the streaming site think you’re in the UK by connecting to a UK server.
You can also use a selection of streaming services to watch rugby too. These include:
Remember, depending on your location, you might be geo-blocked from these services. To ensure you’ll always have access to every rugby game you want to watch, sign up for a top-rated VPN.
How to watch rugby games with a VPN on your device
Rugby is shown on all sorts of channels and streaming sites online. And the magic of online content is that you can watch it on a wide range of devices. From laptops to smartphones, with a VPN, you can unblock rugby action no matter what your chosen device is. Here’s how you can do it in a few easy steps.
- Stream rugby with a quality VPN for Mac
- Check out the best VPN services for Windows
- Unblock rugby games with the best VPN apps for iOS
- Watch rugby online on your phone with a VPN for Android
How to watch rugby on a PC (Windows and Mac)
Watching rugby matches on your PC, whether it’s Windows or Mac, is so easy that you can be up and running in minutes, thanks to these simple instructions.
- Choose a VPN that you know unblocks rugby broadcasters. For example, NordVPN.
- Download, sign up, and install the VPN on your computer.
- Launch your newly installed VPN app
- Connect to a server in a rugby showing location
- Now you can watch rugby!
How to watch rugby on a smartphone (Android and iOS)
It doesn’t matter if you use an Android or iOS smartphone, it’s still simple to watch rugby by following these quick VPN steps.
How to watch rugby on Android smartphones
- Head to the Google Play Store on your Android smartphone and download NordVPN application
- Install the VPN on your device
- Launch VPN’s app, connect to a new server
- Open up a streaming site that shows rugby and you’re all set!
How to watch rugby on iPhone and iPad
- Pick up your iPhone or iPad and go to the iOS App Store
- Pick a VPN, we recommend NordVPN
- Download, install and open your chosen VPN
- Connect to a new server, UK locations are great for rugby
- Go to a UK TV channel and catch up on rugby!
How to stream rugby on streaming devices
With so many great streaming services showing rugby matches, you’ll have no problem watching all the games you want. However, the only way you can ensure you have access to every site you’d like is by using a VPN. It might sound technical, but it’s very straightforward. Here is what you need to do.
How to stream rugby on Roku
While Roku doesn’t support direct VPN downloads, there’s a simple hack to get connected, and it involves installing a VPN onto your router.
- Pick a VPN that works on routers, like NordVPN
- Download and install a VPN to your router
- Connect to a server in a rugby-friendly location
- Open Roku, find the channel you want to watch, and put on rugby!
How to stream rugby on Kodi
Kodi is another service that can get you all the rugby games you want, but you’ll need to get your router connected to a VPN to avoid geo-restrictions.
- Install NordVPN on your router
- Find a new server to connect to
- Pick a streaming service that broadcasts rugby on Kodi, like BBC iPlayer
- Now you’re all set to watch rugby!
How to stream rugby on Apple TV
Apple TV offers a wide selection of channels, services, and apps that show rugby. With a VPN set up on your router, you’ll be able to watch all of them no matter where you may be in the world.
- Choose a VPN that is compatible with routers. NordVPN is one of them
- Set up a VPN on your router
- Open the VPN and connect to a new server
- Turn on Apple TV and watch some rugby!
How to stream rugby on Firestick
Getting a VPN connected to Amazon Firestick is a breeze. Follow these steps for simple rugby streaming.
- Download NordVPN onto your Firestick
- Install and set up the VPN
- Find a new server and connect
- Pick an app that’s showing rugby (like BBC iPlayer) and watch the game!
How to register for rugby streaming sites outside of your region
From TV channels like the BBC to streaming services like ESPN+, there are many options when it comes to watching rugby games. Some come with subscriptions fees, some are completely free, but the common feature is that you’ll almost always need to register an account with the service. You might be blocked from signing up due to geo-restrictions if you’re not in the right region.
So what can you do? Well, the easy workaround is to pick a good VPN. VPNs can hide your actual IP address (your IP address is how a website knows where you are visiting from) and change it to a location of your choosing. This way, you can trick streaming services into thinking you’re in their region and they won’t block you from making an account! In this way, you can access sites like BBC iPlayer from the USA and other blocked countries.
All you have to do is sign up for a VPN, use it to connect to a server in the location of your chosen site, and then you’ll be free to sign up to any streaming service you like!
How to watch rugby games in your country
Rugby is a global sport, with fans in all corners of the world. Geo-restrictions might get in the way of watching rugby, but there’s no need to miss out. With a VPN set up on your device, you’ll always be able to enjoy rugby regardless of your location. Just follow these steps to enjoy rugby action.
- Choose a VPN and download it onto your PC, Mac, iPhone, Android tablet, or any other compatible device
- Sign up for a subscription and run the VPN
- Change your server to a location that you know has rugby broadcasts, like the UK
- Pick a channel or streaming site, like Sky Sports, and you're ready to roll!
This can also be helpful when you're traveling, as your streaming account might not work outside your home country. Just one more reason to get a VPN!
Can’t access rugby stream even with a VPN?
Sometimes, users can't access their preferred streaming platforms even when a VPN is in use. There are a few different reasons why you might experience this:
- The VPN is leaking your real IP address
- Cookies expose your real location
- The streaming site blocked known VPN IP addresses
- The VPN you're using can't unblock streaming sites
Luckily, there are a few things you can do despite the initial disappointment:
- Check whether your VPN is leaking your IP by googling "what is my IP address". If the VPN is leaking, try another service entirely.
- Try changing the server without changing your desired location. You can simply reconnect to the needed country or choose another server yourself (which is possible with NordVPN).
- After connecting to the VPN, restart the browser or even try the Incognito mode.
- Clear the cookies and cache files on your device.
- If nothing works, try contacting the customer support of your VPN service.
Don't be afraid to change your VPN if it can't unblock anything you need. The majority of VPNs on the market offer a 30-day money-back guarantee that will let you check whether the tool works with your preferred streaming site.
How to watch rugby free online
Since our top three VPNs for watching rugby in the US come with 30-day money-back guarantees, you can essentially use them for free for a whole month. This makes watching rugby for free online quite easy if you know what to do.
- NordVPN. You can get a 7-day trial on mobile, or use the tool's 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark. Like NordVPN, Surfshark offers a 7-day free trial for Android and iOS devices.
- IPVanish. If you want to test this service for free, make sure you use its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Several free UK TV channels regularly show live rugby games, highlights, and more. However, since they are UK channels, chances are if you try to watch them from overseas, you’ll get an annoying error message telling you ‘this content is unavailable in your region‘.
But there’s a quick fix, with a VPN, you can bypass geo-restrictions on all sorts of sites and apps, including:
- BBC iPlayer
- ITV Hub
- All 4
There’s also the option of using a free VPN. We generally don’t recommend this as you will be putting yourself at risk of malware and data theft. Furthermore, free VPNs usually come with data caps. If you would still like to opt for a free version, ProtonVPN and Atlas VPN stand out for offering a decent service, so you could give them a try.
What is the biggest rugby event in 2022?
Rugby Union, Rugby League, Rugby Challenge Cup – there are all sorts of rugby leagues, tournaments, and events going on. This year, the big one is the Rugby World Cup Sevens. It will take place on November 4th, 2022, and will last until May 21st, 2023. Another huge upcoming rugby event is the 2023 Six Nations Championship, which will take place from February 4th, 2022, to March 18th, 2023.
Here's the 2022/23 rugby games calendar so that you wouldn't miss the games:
|Premiership Rugby||10 Sep 2022 – 27 May 2023|
|Autumn Nations: international rugby union||29 Oct 2022 – 26 Nov 2022|
|2022–23 World Rugby Sevens Series||4 November 2022 – 21 May 2023|
|2023 Six Nations Championship||4 Feb 2023 – 18 Mar 2023|
|Rugby union: EPCR Challenge Cup final||19 May 2023|
|Rugby union: Heineken Champions Cup final||20 May 2023|
|Rugby union: New Zealand vs. South Africa||25 August 2023|
|2023 Rugby World Cup||8 September – 28 October 2023|
With a VPN installed on your device(s), you’ll never have to worry about missing a rugby game again. Wherever you are in the world – US, Europe, Asia – you’ll be able to get around the geo-blocks that content providers put up. Remember, not only can a VPN hide your IP address and help you access content, but it can also help you stay secure and private online.
So, are you ready for all the upcoming rugby events? If so, then don't hesitate and get a VPN that works with your preferred streaming platforms and is compatible with your device – it's better to prepare in advance!
In case you're not sure which service to choose, you can simply go with NordVPN, as it usually fits the needs of the vast majority of users. It also has a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you won't be risking any money!
More VPN guides from Cybernews
Can I use VPN to watch local sports?
Yes, you can use a VPN to watch local sports. If you’re trying to access a streaming site outside of your home location, you can still cheer on your team by using a VPN to hide your IP address.
Does RugbyPass work with a VPN?
Yes, you can use a VPN to watch RugbyPass. Just download a recommended VPN, like NordVPN, install it on your device, connect to a server, and then head over to RugbyPass and make an account to unblock its content.
Is it legal to stream rugby games online with a VPN?
Yes, it is entirely legal to stream rugby games online with a VPN. While some streaming services may prohibit the use of VPNs, it’s not against the law. The worst that can happen is that your VPN connection could be blocked by a streaming site.