How to watch Star Trek: Discovery from anywhere in 2023
Star Trek: Discovery is one of the most popular sci-fi shows around. However, all episodes have been removed from Netflix and are now on Paramount Plus in the US and on PlutoTV in the UK instead. This means that lots of Trekkies in other countries won’t be able to watch their favorite show.
|Dates:||November 18, 2021 – March 17, 2022|
|Number of episodes:||13|
|Watch anywhere:||Get NordVPN – 63% OFF|
|Watch in the US:||Paramount+, DirecTV|
|Watch in the UK:||PlutoTV|
Luckily, there’s an easy solution. All you need to do is download a reputable VPN, connect to a server in the US, and you'll be able to watch every episode of Star Trek: Discovery on Paramount Plus. A VPN will also protect your sensitive information while you’re online and won't limit you when traveling.
This article will reveal how to use a VPN to watch Star Trek: Discovery season 4 on your device from anywhere in the world. We’ll also give recommendations for the best VPNs, and provide you with other essential information. So read on to find out everything about it.
Watch Star Trek: Discovery with a VPN
- Pick a VPN with US servers. We recommend NordVPN – now 63% OFF!
- Download and install the software.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Sign in or set up an account for Paramount Plus.
- Enjoy watching every episode of Star Trek: Discovery!
Why do you need a VPN to watch Star Trek: Discovery?
Since Star Trek: Discovery isn’t available on Paramount Plus outside of the US, many fans have lost access to watch it. In fact, if you head to the Paramount Plus streaming app, you won’t even be given the option to create an account unless you’re in one of the countries in which it operates.
While Paramount put out a message to Star Trek fans to reassure them that they would be rolling the service out internationally, there are no definitive timelines yet, leaving Trekkies in other parts of the world unable to watch the latest season.
|Which streaming platform?||Paramount Plus|
|Cast||Sonequa Martin-Green, Doug Jones, Shazad Latif, Anthony Rapp, Mary Wiseman, and Jason Isaacs|
|When will the final episode be released?||10 February 2022|
|Is it available to stream outside the US?||Yes, use NordVPN or Surfshark to change your location|
But don’t lose hope because there’s an easy way you can watch Star Trek: Discovery from wherever you are. All you need to do is sign up for a strong VPN and use it to connect to a server in the US. You’ll then be issued with an IP address from that region, which will make it look as though you’re accessing Paramount Plus from inside the country. You’ll then be able to watch every episode of Star Trek: Discovery.
The only problem is that finding a VPN that can unblock Paramount Plus isn’t always easy. To help you out, we’ve tested a bunch of solutions and have recommended the top three providers that actually work in the next section.
Best VPNs to watch Star Trek: Discovery
- NordVPN – best VPN for watching Star Trek: Discovery from anywhere
- Surfshark – excellent VPN for Paramount Plus
- IPVanish – ideal solution for unblocking region-restricted content
If you’re shopping for a VPN so you can watch all the latest episodes of Star Trek: Discovery, you’ll find an endless list of providers that promise to give you access to geo-blocked content. But the reality is different – many of them are incapable of doing this.
To save you some time and effort, we’ve tried out dozens of solutions and recommended the 3 best ones for unblocking Paramount Plus. Let’s find out which ones made the cut.
1. NordVPN – Best VPN for watching Star Trek: Discovery from anywhere
|🖥️Servers:||5700 servers in 60 countries|
|🍿Unblocks streaming sites:||Yes|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 63% OFF|
When it comes to unblocking streaming services in the US, NordVPN can’t be beaten. It can bypass geo-blocks on every major US streaming service. This includes Paramount Plus, meaning you can use it to watch Star Trek: Discovery from anywhere.
Better still, it offers unparalleled security to keep your data completely safe. And it gives you access to more than 5700 servers in 60 countries, including more than 1,970 across the United States.
Subscriptions start a only $3.29 per month. And if you use one of our NordVPN coupons, you can enjoy 63% off, which is the biggest discount you can find!
To learn more about this provider, read our detailed NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – Excellent VPN for Paramount Plus
|🌎Based in:||The Netherlands|
|🖥️Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🍿Unblocks streaming sites:||Yes|
|🔥Coupons:||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF|
If you’re after an even more affordable option without compromising on speed or security, Surfshark could be the ideal solution for you. It can unblock location-restricted content on any streaming service you can think of, including Paramount Plus.
You’ll have access to more than 3200 servers in over 100 countries once you sign up. Besides this, you’ll be able to enjoy the fastest speeds you’ve ever experienced using a VPN, which is ideal for buffer-free streaming.
Surfshark’s prices start at just $2.30 per month. And you can use one of our Surfshark coupons to get 82% off your subscription, plus 3 months for free!
If you want more details, take a look at our full Surshark VPN review.
3. IPVanish – Ideal solution for unblocking region-restricted content
|🌎Based in:||United States|
|🖥️Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50+ countries|
|🍿Unblocks streaming sites:||Yes|
|🔥Coupons:||IPVanish coupon 72% OFF|
If you want a safe and reliable VPN that can give you access to all the geo-blocked content you want, you won’t go wrong choosing IPVanish. It can bypass region restrictions on any streaming service you want, including Paramount Plus.
This provider has more than 2000 servers in 50 countries, giving users plenty of options. It’s incredibly secure, too, with a strong suite of features designed to keep your data safe while you’re online.
Plans start from just $3.33 per month. And right now, one of our IPVanish coupons will get you 72% off a two-year IPVanish subscription!
If you want to find out more, check out our detailed IPVanish review.
Where can I watch Star Trek: Discovery online?
You can watch Star Trek: Discovery on the following streaming services:
|Streaming service||Cost per month|
|Paramount Plus (US)||$4.99|
|DirecTV (US)||From $69.99|
|Sling TV (US)||From $35|
If you live outside the UK, Canada, or the US, you’ll need to use a VPN to unblock the content. Here, we’ve suggested the best providers that will help you do this:
- Paramount Plus – Since it disappeared from Netflix, Paramount Plus has been the home of Star Trek: Discovery. And if you want to watch it from anywhere, you’ll need to use a VPN with a large fleet of servers, such as NordVPN.
- PlutoTV – This freeview streaming service can give you access to Star Trek: Discovery for free. As it’s only available in the UK, you’ll need to use a capable VPN, such as Surfshark, to connect to a UK server.
- Crave – If you want access to HBO Max, Starz, and Showtime content, as well as Star Trek: Discovery, Crave is an ideal solution. To watch it from anywhere, all you need is a reliable VPN with Canadian servers, such as IPVanish.
- DirecTV – If you’re looking for access to more than just Paramount, DirecTV will provide you with a vast range of channels to keep you entertained. To sign up from anywhere, simply use a strong VPN, such as Surfshark, and you’ll bypass the platform’s region restrictions.
- Sling TV – Billed as a cheaper way to access a broad range of US cable channels, Sling TV subscriptions start from $35 a month. If you want to watch from outside the country, use a market-leading VPN, like NordVPN.
How can I watch Star Trek: Discovery on Netflix with a VPN?
As of 30 September 2021, Netflix no longer has the rights to show Star Trek: Discovery. Instead, it’s now available on Paramount Plus. However, because this streaming service is geo-blocked, viewers outside the US have been struggling to watch the latest season.
But there’s no need to worry because there’s a really easy way to watch the show from wherever you are in the world. All you need to do is sign up for a VPN that can unblock the streaming service. Then, simply connect to a server in the US, and you’ll be issued with a US IP address, which will enable you to access Paramount Plus from wherever you are in the world.
How to watch Star Trek: Discovery on your device
As we’ve mentioned, it’s not difficult to access Star Trek: Discovery from anywhere, so long as you use a VPN. However, it’s worth noting that the process may alter slightly depending on which device you’re using. Below, we’ve provided step-by-step instructions on how to bypass region restrictions on the most popular devices.
Or, if you find that short step-by-step instructions are not enough, you can always check our in-depth guides on the best VPNs for your device:
- Best VPNs for Windows – top-tier VPNs for Windows to watch Star Trek: Discovery
- Best VPNs for Mac – the most reliable VPNs for Mac
- VPNs for Android: free and paid – unblock Star Trek: Discovery using the best VPNs for Android
- Best VPNs for iPhone – check out top-rated VPNs for iPhone
Watch Star Trek: Discovery on your PC
The good news is, you can access Star Trek: Discovery on your computer, whether you use a Mac, or Windows 11. You won’t even need to download the Paramount Plus app! Just read our instructions, and you’ll unblock all the latest episodes in just a few clicks:
- Download and install VPN software on your machine. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Go to the Paramount Plus website and either log in or create an account.
- If you still don’t have access, clear your cookies and cache and try again.
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy binge-watching the show!
Watch Star Trek: Discovery on your phone
If you want to watch Star Trek: Discovery on your iPhone, Android smartphone, tablet, or iPad, all you need to do is follow these steps:
- Change your app store and phone locations to the US.
- Download and install a VPN app on your phone or tablet. The best app for this is NordVPN.
- Create a new Apple ID or Google account and select the US as your country.
- Open or install the Paramount Plus app on your phone from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Sign up for an account and start catching up on season 4!
Watch Star Trek: Discovery on a smart TV
Many of the most popular smart TV brands, such as Apple, Samsung, and LG, don’t support VPNs. This means that you can’t download a VPN app straight onto your TV. But it’s easy to get around this by connecting your VPN straight to your Wi-Fi router. Here’s how:
- Download a VPN with plenty of US servers. We’d recommend NordVPN for this.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Access your Wi-Fi router’s admin and connect it to your VPN network.
- Download the Paramount Plus app on your smart TV, and either sign in or create an account.
- Grab a drink and get comfy!
Although many TV brands don’t support VPNs, there are some that do. If yours is one of them, you should be able to download a VPN app straight onto your smart TV. Read our guide on the best VPNs for smart TVs to find out more.
How to watch Star Trek: Discovery on streaming devices
Similar to smart TVs, you’ll find that the majority of streaming sticks, such as Kodi, Roku, Firestick, and Apple TV, don’t support VPN apps. But you can still connect it to your VPN via your Wi-Fi router. Here’s what you need to do:
- Download and install a VPN that can unblock Paramount Plus. We’d suggest NordVPN for this.
- Connect it to your Wi-Fi router.
- Choose a US server.
- Insert your streaming stick into your TV via the HDMI port.
- Turn on your TV and select the Paramount Plus app on your streaming stick’s home screen.
- Search for the latest episodes of Star Trek: Discovery and enjoy the show!
Looking for more information on streaming Star Trek on different devices? Here are our in-depth guides that will provide you with everything you might need:
- Best VPNs for Kodi – choose from top-rated VPNs for Kodi and stream Star Trek
- Best VPNs for Roku – watch Star Trek with the help of the best VPNs for Roku
- Best VPNs for Amazon Fire TV – tested and approved VPNs for Firestick
- Best VPNs for Apple TV – top-notch VPNs for Apple TV to stream Star Trek
How to watch Star Trek: Discovery outside the US with a VPN
If you’re in the US, you can watch Star Trek: Discovery on Paramount Plus. However, if you’re traveling abroad, or you live in the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, or anywhere else outside the US, you’ll need to use a VPN to access the streaming service. For recommendations, check our guide to the best VPNs for traveling.
- Download and install a VPN with a range of US servers. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Complete the setup and create an account.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Download the Paramount Plus app and either log in or sign up for an account.
- Search for the latest season of Star Trek: Discovery!
Can't access Star Trek: Discovery with a VPN?
Even if you do everything right, you might still be struggling to bypass region restrictions on Star Trek: Discovery. If you encounter this problem, it could be that you’ve connected to a server in the wrong location, or perhaps your VPN isn’t working correctly.
If you’ve checked, it’s neither of these things – we’d recommend reading our guide on how to use a VPN. Or, if you want some quick troubleshooting ideas, check the following solutions:
- Get a better VPN. Your VPN might not be able to bypass Paramount Plus’ region restrictions.
- Check if you have IP leak protection enabled on your VPN – your true IP address may be leaking.
- Try clearing your cookies and cache. Your cookies could be showing your real location.
- Try using a different browser or connect to a different server.
- Get in touch with your VPN’s customer support team.
If you’ve tried everything to no avail, you should consider upgrading to a better VPN.
How to watch Star Trek: Discovery for free online
Star Trek: Discovery is available to watch for free on PlutoTV in the UK. If you live outside the UK, you can access PlutoTV by using a VPN. And if you want to use a free VPN, we’d suggest using a freemium, which is a version of a paid-for VPN that doesn’t cost you anything. Of course, they’re usually a lot more limited than paid-for options, but ProtonVPN and Atlas VPN are worth a go because they come with unlimited data.
However, if you’re planning to binge-watch Star Trek: Discovery, you could sign up for a free trial of a paid VPN. Our favorite VPNs, including NordVPN, Surfshark, and IPVanish, come with 30-day money-back guarantees, meaning you can use it for a whole month before you commit to a long subscription.
Be aware that completely free VPN providers are notorious for selling customer data to third parties. And if that’s not enough to put you off, they usually have far fewer servers, so they’re more likely to be blocked by streaming services.
What you need to know about Star Trek: Discovery
Star Trek: Discovery premiered in 2017, and its first season was set roughly a decade before the events of Star Trek: The Original Series. However, at the end of season 2, the crew of the Starship Discovery traveled hundreds of years into the future. Series 3 and 4 take place at this point in the Star Trek timeline.
Whether you were a fan of the old show or not, this sequel is definitely worth watching due to the breathtaking special effects, exciting storylines, and strong performances from the cast, which includes Sonequa Martin-Green, Doug Jones, David Ajala, Shazad Latif, Mary Wiseman, and Jason Isaacs.
If you’re new to the show, you’ve got a lot of catching up to do because its fourth season is currently being aired. In the latest episodes, the crew of the USS Discovery must rebuild the United Federation of Planets while dealing with a space anomaly that has the potential to cause destruction throughout the galaxy.
Even more exciting, Star Trek: Discovery has been officially renewed for a fifth season. So now is a great time to catch up on all the action before season 5 starts airing.
To make sure you don’t miss any of the action, here’s a list of all the episodes for season 4 and their release dates:
|Episode title||Release date|
|Kobayashi Maru||18 November 2021|
|Anomaly||25 November 2021|
|Choose to Live||2 December 2021|
|All Is Possible||9 December 2021|
|The Examples||16 December 2021|
|Stormy Weather||23 December 2021|
|...But to Connect||30 December 2021|
|TBC||10 February 2022|
To stay up to date with all the latest news about the show, keep an eye on the official Star Trek Twitter page and Facebook account.
Here are more exciting shows we think you might like:
- How to watch The Walking Dead from anywhere with VPN
- Watch Modern Family on Netflix from anywhere with VPN
- How to watch Friends online from anywhere with VPN
- How to watch Marvel movies on Netflix with the help of VPN
- Watch Yellowstone season 4 with VPN
- Watch Love Island in the USA or UK with VPN
- How to watch the CW outside the US
Star Trek fans were understandably frustrated when Star Trek: Discovery disappeared from Netflix and moved to Paramount Plus before season 4 aired. But there’s an easy way to access all episodes of the show from wherever you are. Simply download a reputable VPN, such as NordVPN, and use it to connect to a server in the US. You’ll then be issued with a US IP address, which will allow you to bypass Paramount Plus’ region restrictions so you can watch all the shows it has to offer.
And as if this isn’t enough of an incentive, a VPN can also provide you with vital online protection by encrypting your data to prevent cybercriminals from being able to access it. If you’re tempted to trial one, check out our guide on the best VPNs that come with a free trial period.
We hope this guide has answered all your questions about using a VPN to watch Star Trek: Discovery from outside the US. If you still have any queries, you can get in touch with us using the comments section at the bottom of the page, and one of our experts will get back to you!
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How to watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: unblock streaming sites with ease
How to watch Saturday Night Live: watch from anywhere in 2023
How to watch the 2023 NBA All-Star Game online: bypass geo-blocks with a VPN
How to watch Rick and Morty from anywhere: watch every episode for free
How to watch Love Island: watch different versions with a VPN
How to watch Made in Chelsea in the USA: bypass restrictions with a VPN
How can I watch Star Trek: Discovery for free?
Star Trek: Discovery is available to watch for free on PlutoTV, which is a streaming service in the UK. If you want to watch it for free from outside the UK, sign up for a free 30-day trial of a reliable VPN, such as NordVPN. This means you can bypass region restrictions and binge every episode for free.
Is Star Trek: Discovery still on Netflix?
No, unfortunately, Netflix no longer has the rights to show Star Trek: Discovery. The series is now available on Paramount Plus in the US. If you’re outside the country, sign up for a VPN, such as NordVPN, and connect to a server in the US. You’ll then have access to Star Trek: Discovery on Paramount Plus.
Can I watch Star Trek: Discovery on Amazon Prime?
Yes, Star Trek: Discovery is on Amazon Prime, but you will need to pay to watch it. You can either pay for a single episode or an entire season. If you’d rather avoid paying for episodes, we have some great tips on how to watch Star Trek: Discovery for free earlier in this guide.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked