How to watch HBO Max in Canada
HBO shows have fans around the world, but its online streaming hasn’t caught up to global demand just yet. HBO Max is only available in the US and a few other select countries. Canada isn’t one of them, meaning new hits like The White Lotus and House of the Dragon are out of reach for Canadian fans.
Luckily, you can watch HBO Max in Canada with the help of a great VPN. Connecting to a US server can help get around geo-restrictions and bring all the great HBO Max content straight to your living room.
With so many VPN options out there, we tested which ones could actually unblock HBO Max while delivering impressive performance. Ready to learn how to watch HBO Max in Canada? Keep reading for our top 3 VPNs that get the job done.
How to watch HBO Max in Canada with a VPN
- Pick a VPN that’s great for streaming. NordVPN is strongly recommended, now 68% off!
- Download and launch the VPN on your device.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Open HBO Max and create or log into your account
- Select your favorite show from its massive library and start watching!
Why do you need a VPN to get HBO Max in Canada?
Like many streaming services, HBO Max uses geo-restrictions to adhere to copyright and licensing agreements. Currently, it only allows viewers in the United States and a few other countries in Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean to stream from its impressive content library. While Mexico makes the list for the North American service area, Canada does not.
If you try to access HBO Max in Canada without a VPN, you’ll be face-to-face with an error message. If you want to avoid getting blocked and skip right to streaming, you’ll need a reliable VPN to navigate around the site’s geo-restrictions.
So, why can't HBO Max come to Canada? The answer to this has to do with licensing agreements between streaming platforms. Instead of HBO Max, Canadians have Crave. This streaming platform offers some hit shows and movies from HBO but doesn’t have the rights to everything in the HBO Max library. To access all the great content, you’ll need to use a VPN.
Best VPNs to watch HBO Max in Canada
- NordVPN – best VPN overall to watch HBO Max in Canada
- Surfshark – great VPN for streaming on unlimited devices
- Pure VPN – affordable VPN with great streaming performance
Not all VPNs have the tech needed for a great viewing experience. If you want to watch HBO Max in Canada, you need a VPN that can bypass geo-restrictions and offer great speed and performance.
We’ve done the tests and have three great options to watch HBO Max in Canada. These VPNs have plenty of US servers, impressive speeds, and are able to unblock geo-restricted content. Ready to find out how to watch HBO Max in Canada? Let’s take a look at our top three picks.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for watching HBO Max in Canada
|🖥️Servers/countries:||5,800+ servers in 60 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons:||Get NordVPN with 68% OFF + 3 months FREE!|
NordVPN is one of the best picks for unblocking US-based content. This VPN has over 1970 servers in the US alone, spanning 15 cities. Simply connect to one of these servers and enjoy new HBO Max shows like The Last of Us or The Climb with no lags or buffering.
You don’t have to stop at HBO Max – NordVPN also works smoothly with Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and more. You can download the NordVPN app on all major operating systems, and even on your Android TV. Its Smart DNS feature will help you connect any devices that aren’t compatible with the app.
You can get NordVPN for as low as $3.19 a month, with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
To learn more about this top provider, check out our full NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – outstanding HBO Max VPN for all your devices
|🖥️Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons:||Get 85% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE|
With Surfshark, you’ll get fast speeds, unlimited connections, and effortless unblocking, all at a low price. Surfshark has over 600 servers in 25 different US cities and has no problem accessing all the great content on HBO Max.
With unlimited bandwidth and the ultra-fast WireGuard protocol, Surfshark delivers a great streaming experience on HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more. Prices start at just $2.30 a month.
Want to learn more about one of the best VPNs for streaming? Check out our full Surfshark review.
3. PureVPN – fast and budget-friendly VPN for streaming
|🖥️Servers/countries:||6,500+ servers in 78 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||HBO Max, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons:||Get PureVPN, now 83% OFF + 3 months FREE!|
PureVPN offers server locations in 14 US cities and can smoothly unblock content on HBO Max. If you want to rewatch Game of Thrones or catch new episodes of House of the Dragon, PureVPN makes it easy with fast speeds and 10 simultaneous connections.
PureVPN offers 20Gbps connections, meaning that you can enjoy fast speeds and buffer-free streaming. Plus, plans begin at only $2.08 a month, making it the most budget-friendly option on our list.
For more on all this VPN has to offer, check out our in-depth PureVPN review.
How to watch HBO Max in Canada with a VPN on your device
If you’re still wondering how to watch HBO Max in Canada, we’ve put together all the step-by-step guides you need to get started:
- Watch HBO Max in Canada on your computer
- Watch HBO Max in Canada on Android
- Watch HBO Max in Canada on iOS or iPad
- Watch HBO Max in Canada on Smart TV
Watch HBO Max in Canada on your computer (Windows, Mac)
Watching HBO Max from your computer is easy with a VPN. These step-by-step instructions will work for both Windows and macOS.
- Choose and download one of the top streaming VPNs, such as NordVPN.
- Launch the VPN app on your computer.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Purchase HBO Max subscription.
- Continue onto the library and start streaming!
Watch HBO Max in Canada on Android
You can use a VPN on your Android device to watch HBO Max in Canada. With NordVPN, you can even get a 7-day free trial through the Google Play Store, so you can try it out before committing to a long subscription.
- Download and open your VPN’s mobile app – NordVPN is recommended.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Go back to the Play Store and download the HBO Max mobile app.
- Keep your VPN connected and begin streaming on your Android.
Watch HBO Max in Canada on iOS or iPad
You can find everything you need to watch HBO Max on your iPhone or iPad in the Apple Store. Surfshark even offers a 7-day free trial on its mobile app, so you won’t have to pay anything upfront. Here’s what to do to watch HBO Max in Canada on iOS or iPad:
- Download your VPN’s mobile app from the Apple Store. Try NordVPN.
- Launch the app and connect to a server in the US.
- Now, download the HBO Max mobile app from the Apple Store.
- Purchase HBO Max subscription or enter your login info.
- Choose any show or movie to stream from the HBO Max library.
Watch HBO Max in Canada on smart TV
Got a smart TV? No problem. Some VPN apps can be used directly on your TV. If there’s no compatible app, you can use the Smart DNS feature to start streaming. Here’s how to get started:
- Choose a VPN with a smart TV or Smart DNS compatibility. NordVPN is great for this.
- Download the VPN app on your TV (if compatible).
- Connect your VPN and select a US server.
- Log into your HBO Max account or create a new one.
- Stream directly to your Smart TV.
How to get HBO Max in Canada?
You can use a top VPN to easily get HBO Max in Canada. Using a VPN is 100% legal in Canada, no matter what province you’re in. To help you get started, we’ve covered a few common questions Canadians have when it comes to getting HBO Max on mobile devices and getting through checkout without an error.
How to download HBO Max app
Geo-restrictions also apply to HBO Max app downloads. If you try to download the HBO Max app without a VPN, you’ll be faced with this error message once again:
If you want to download the HBO Max app without getting stopped by geo-restrictions, simply follow these instructions:
- Download your VPN’s mobile app. Check NordVPN.
- Launch the app and log in.
- Connect your device to a US server.
- Download the HBO Max app.
- Create or log into your HBO Max account.
You’ll need to keep your VPN’s mobile app connected to the device where you use the HBO Max app. If you installed the HBO Max app previously, try clearing its cache or uninstalling/reinstalling it if you run into any trouble.
How to pay for HBO Max app
Once you’ve got your VPN connected and have created your HBO Max account, you’ll still need to pay for your subscription. The HBO Max Canada price will depend on which subscription option you choose.
You can decide between plans with or without ads. HBO Max has a cheaper plan available, which shows ads with each show or movie you watch. Here’s the updated pricing with ads for 2023:
- Monthly subscription with ads – 9.99 USD per month (approximately 13.30 CAD)
- Yearly subscription with ads – 99.99 USD per year (approximately 133.20 CAD)
If you’re willing to pay more to enjoy an ad-free viewing experience, here are the plans that won’t show any ads:
- Monthly subscription without ads – 15.99 USD per month (approximately 21.30 CAD)
- Yearly subscription without ads – 149.99 USD per year (approximately 199.80 CAD)
Once you’ve picked the subscription you want, you’ll need to complete your payment. If you don’t have a US-based payment method, you might run into an error message during checkout. Here are a few tips for paying for your new HBO Max subscription successfully:
- Ask an American. If you have a friend or family member in the US with a credit card, you could ask them to make the purchase for you. HBO Max accepts major US credit cards as well as Paypal.
- Use a gift card. You can buy an HBO Max gift card online and use it to pay for your subscription. Simply purchase the gift card for an amount that will cover the subscription you want and apply it at checkout.
HBO Max not working in Canada with a VPN? Possible reasons and fixes
If you still can’t sort out how to watch HBO Max in Canada, don’t worry! There are a few common reasons why it’s not working for you. We’ve got the solutions right here.
- Check your IP – if you can’t access HBO Max, your real IP address might still be showing. Check to make sure you’re connected to a US server, and then Google “what’s my IP.” Make sure your real IP address is hidden, and a US-based one is being shown online.
- Try another server – sometimes VPN servers go offline or get blocked by streaming platforms. This is normal and nothing to worry about – simply connect to another option. You can try a US server in another city or see what the VPN’s algorithm recommends based on your location.
- Clear your cache – data, like your real IP address, can get stored in your browser. To get a clean slate, you can try to clear your cache, cookies, and browser history. If you’re using a mobile app, you can clear the data stored in the HBO Max app itself.
Is HBO Max on Crave?
HBO Max isn’t fully available on Crave. While Crave brings together some top content from HBO, Showtime, and other platforms, it doesn’t have access to the full HBO library. Because of country-specific licensing agreements, you might miss out on some favorite shows or movies with Crave.
If the show or movie you’ve been waiting to watch has a US-exclusive licensing agreement, you’ll have no luck streaming it on Crave. If you want full access to HBO’s award-winning shows and movies, you’ll need a VPN to make sure geo-restrictions won’t hold you back.
It's important to mention that purchasing a VPN and the HBO Max subscription is even more cost-efficient than getting a Crave subscription, which costs $19.99 per month. That said, there's no reason to miss out on your favorite content.
What is the equivalent of HBO Max in Canada?
While HBO Max isn’t directly available in Canada, Crave is a pretty close equivalent. Crave is a streaming platform that has access to all the exclusive HBO content that you can get on HBO Max. Plus, it’s got other great shows from Showtime and other top networks.
What makes it different is that it doesn’t have all the licensing agreements for all the content in HBO Max’s library. This means when you subscribe to Crave in Canada, you’ll be missing out on some movies and shows that are only licensed for US audiences.
With so much great content on HBO Max, you won’t want to miss any of it due to geo-restrictions. Luckily, multiple VPNs can handle the challenges presented by streaming platforms. By going with one of our top choices, you can bypass these blocks and stream in high quality across multiple devices.
With over 1970 servers in the US, a Smart DNS feature, and outstanding performance, our top pick is NordVPN. You can use this VPN across multiple devices, watching HBO Max easily and in comfort while in Canada.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can you get HBO Max in Canada?
No, you cannot get HBO Max in Canada. You can use a VPN and connect to a US server if you want to watch HBO Max in Canada. Make sure the VPN you choose, like NordVPN, has been tested with this platform and can deliver impressive speeds while streaming.
Does Crave Canada include HBO Max?
No, Crave Canada does not fully include HBO Max. Crave doesn’t have the rights to some shows and movies with US-specific licensing agreements. If you subscribe to Crave, you’ll get access to some HBO content as well as top content from Showtime and other networks.
When will HBO Max be available in Canada?
There’s no current plan for HBO Max to be made available in Canada. Instead of HBO Max coming to Canada itself, a limited number of HBO shows and movies came to the Canadian streaming platform Crave through a licensing agreement.