How can I watch Hulu in Canada?
Hulu is one of the most popular streaming services in the US because it’s packed full of fantastic shows and movies, including Deep Water, Ru Paul’s Drag Race, and Shark Tank. But it’s not available outside the US, so you can’t watch it in Canada, or any other country.
However, there’s no need to despair, as there’s a simple workaround that will unblock Hulu in a few clicks. All you need to do is download a secure VPN and use it to connect to a server in the US. This will allow you to bypass geo-restrictions to watch Hulu from wherever you are.
To help you out, this guide is full of advice on how to do this on the most popular devices. We’ve even recommended the best VPNs for watching Hulu in Canada. Let’s get started!
How to watch Hulu in Canada with a VPN?
- Choose a VPN with plenty of secure US servers. We recommend NordVPN, now 69% OFF!
- Download and install the software
- Connect to a server in the US
- Head to the Hulu website or app and either sign in or register for a subscription
- Start searching for your favorite Hulu content!
Why do you need a VPN to get Hulu in Canada?
Hulu is one of the most popular streaming services in the US, with plenty of original content, such as The Handmaid’s Tale, How I Met Your Father, and Only Murders in the Building, amongst others. However, due to distribution rights, copyright laws, and licensing agreements, Hulu isn’t available to watch in Canada, or anywhere else outside the US.
If you try to watch geo-blocked content, like Hulu, from a region where the streaming service isn’t allowed to operate, you’ll be prevented by an error message, like this one: We’re sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States.
However, there’s an easy way around this issue: just sign up for a reliable VPN and use it to connect to a server in the US. The VPN will then issue your device with a new IP address from the US, which will fool Hulu into recognizing your traffic as coming from within the country. This will enable you to create a Hulu account and stream all your desired content.
Best VPNs to watch Hulu in Canada
- NordVPN – best VPN for watching Hulu in Canada
- Surfshark – fast solution with cheap monthly plans
- IPVanish – secure provider with impressive features
Using a VPN to unblock Hulu in Canada, or anywhere else, is so easy that you can accomplish it in just a few clicks. However, the only bit where you might get lost is choosing the right VPN.
After all, the market is overrun with VPNs that claim to be able to bypass region restrictions on Hulu and other popular streaming services. But, in all honesty, many of them aren’t strong enough to do this.
To help you avoid poor-quality providers, we’ve tested out a large range of solutions and have found three VPNs that can consistently unblock Hulu from outside the US. We also checked to make sure these providers also deliver strong security, as well as fast speeds for streaming, and the ability to bypass region restrictions on a wide range of content.
1. NordVPN– best VPN for watching Hulu in Canada
|🖥️Servers/countries:||5,900+ servers in 60 countries|
|🍿Streaming services:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS|
|🔥Current deal:||Cyber Monday! Get NordVPN with 69% OFF + 3 months FREE!|
If you want to watch Hulu in Canada or anywhere else in the world, NordVPN is the best solution you can find. It has a secure fleet of more than 5,900 international servers, including over 1970 in the US. This means that it can bypass Hulu’s region restrictions with ease, allowing you to stream from anywhere.
It also boasts the most robust security we’ve found on a VPN. And it has its own NordLynx protocol that makes streaming fast and buffer-free.
Prices start from $2.99/month. And we’ve got an exclusive NordVPN coupon to guarantee you the best price.
To learn more, read our detailed NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark– fast solution with cheap monthly plans
|🖥️Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🍿Streaming services:||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS|
|🔥Current deal:||Cyber Monday! Get 80% OFF Surfshark + 5 months FREE|
If NordVPN is a bit beyond your price range, Surfshark is a keenly-priced alternative. It has more than 3,200 servers globally, including over 600 in the US. Therefore, you can use it to bypass Hulu’s geo-restrictions and stream the shows you want from Canada or any other location.
Besides this, Surfshark is one of the fastest VPN we’ve tested. And it uses market-standard encryption to keep your data completely hidden.
Subscriptions start from just $1.99/month. And right now, we’ve got some exclusive Surfshark coupon codes, so you can enjoy an even lower price!
For more information, see our in-depth Surshark VPN review.
3. IPVanish – secure provider with impressive features
|🖥️Servers/countries:||2,200+ servers in 52 countries|
|🍿Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Disney+, and more|
|📱Compatible with:||Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS|
|🔥Current deal:||Cyber Monday! Get 81% OFF IPVanish + 3 months free!|
If you’re shopping for your first VPN, IPVanish is one of the most reputable providers on the market. It has more than 2,200 servers worldwide, including 1267 in the US. With so many servers to choose from, it was no surprise that IPVanish could unblock Hulu from outside the US on every try.
To protect your data, IPVanish delivers unbreakable encryption. It also comes with fast speeds for streaming and unlimited simultaneous connections.
Plans start at $2.49/month. And you can take advantage of our IPVanish coupons to bag yourself a bargain!
Check out our comprehensive IPVanish review to learn more.
How to watch Hulu in Canada with a VPN on your device
You can unblock Hulu in Canada on pretty much any smart device, including a Windows PC, Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad, or streaming stick. But, although it’s easy to do, regardless of which device you’re using, the steps may differ slightly depending on the device and operating system you’ve got.
To help you out, we’ve pulled together simple step-by-step instructions to help you unblock Hulu in Canada on the most popular devices.
- Watch Hulu in Canada on your PC or Mac
- Watch Hulu in Canada on your Android
- Watch Hulu in Canada on your iPhone or iPad
- Watch Hulu in Canada on your Smart TV
Watch Hulu in Canada on your computer (Windows, Mac)
If you have a Windows or Mac computer, you can use it to unblock Hulu in Canada in a matter of minutes by following these simple steps:
- Change your computer’s location to the US
- Download and install a VPN on your computer. Our number one choice for this is NordVPN
- If you use an Apple ID or Google account, create a new one and select the US as your country
- Head over to the Hulu website and either sign in or register for a subscription
- Start enjoying all the great shows Hulu has to offer!
Watch Hulu in Canada on your Android
By unblocking Hulu on your smartphone, you’ll be able to binge-watch all your favorite shows on the go. Here’s what you need to do:
- Switch your device location and your Google Play Store location to the US. If you need help with this, use our step-by-step guide to changing your location on Android
- Download and install a VPN on your Android. NordVPN has a fantastic app for this
- If you use a Google account, set up a new one and select the US as your country
- Download the Hulu app from the Google Play Store
- Log in or sign up for a Hulu subscription
- Enjoy scrolling through the great content on offer!
Watch Hulu in Canada on iOS or iPad
If you’re an iOS user in Canada, you’ll be able to use your device to unblock Hulu by following these simple steps:
- Change your device location and your Apple App Store location to the US. For more help, check out our steps on changing your location on iOS
- Download and install a VPN on your phone. NordVPN is a great choice for iOS
- If you have an Apple ID, create a new one and choose the US as your country
- Download the Hulu app from the Apple App Store
- Sign up for a monthly subscription plan
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy streaming!
Watch Hulu in Canada on a Smart TV
As you may have already discovered, the majority of popular smart TV manufacturers, including Samsung, LG, and Apple, don’t support VPN apps. But you can get around this issue by connecting your VPN to your wifi router instead. Here’s how to do it:
- Download a VPN with plenty of secure US servers. We suggest NordVPN for this
- Connect to a server in the US
- Go to your wifi router’s admin and connect it to your VPN network
- Download the Hulu app on your smart TV, and sign in or register for an account
- Invite your friends over to watch Hulu on your smart TV!
How to get Hulu in Canada
Hulu is only available to stream in the US. Therefore, if you want to watch Hulu in Canada, you’ll need to use a reputable VPN to connect to a US server. This will bypass Hulu’s location restrictions, making the content available from outside the country.
However, Hulu is a paid subscription service, so you might need to find an alternative way of paying for it if you don’t have a US payment method. This is easier than you might think.
First, it’s worth asking any friends or relatives you have in the US if they will pay for it. If that doesn’t apply to you, your best bet would be to buy a Hulu gift card from Amazon or MyGiftCardSupply.
You could also set up a US PayPal account or get a prepaid US card. Or use a virtual card and set the location to the US.
How to download the Hulu app
As we mentioned in the previous section, it’s easy to download the Hulu app if you’re in Canada or anywhere else outside the US, so long as you use a secure VPN. But you’ll still need to change your location on your device. Here’s how to do it:
Change your location on Android
If you want to change your location on Android, here’s what you need to do:
- Use a secure VPN to connect to a server in the US. We recommend NordVPN for this
- Open the Google Play Store app and tap on the three bars in the top left-hand corner of the screen
- Go to the Account section and change your location to the US
- You’ll be prompted to fill in a US address and number. You can find one on a US address generator if you’re stuck
- Reload the Google Play Store, search for the Hulu app, and download it
Change your location on iOS
To change your location on your iOS device, just follow these easy steps:
- Use a reliable VPN to connect to a server in the US. NordVPN is our favorite option for this
- Open the settings on your iOS device, and select your profile
- Hit Media & Purchases, then View Account. You’ll need to input your Passcode or use Touch ID to verify your identity
- Select Country/Region, then Change Country or Region. If you want to unblock Hulu, choose the United States
- Agree to the terms and conditions
- Enter a US address and phone number. If you don’t have one you can use, you can always find one by using a US address generator. Then click Done
- You will now be able to download the Hulu app
How to pay for the Hulu app
To pay for the Hulu app, you’ll need a US payment method or a virtual credit card. And, if you don’t have one, your best bet would be to buy a Hulu gift card from Amazon or MyGiftCardSupply.
Once you’ve found a payment method that works for you, you’ll need to decide which Hulu package suits your needs and your budget. To make it easier for you, we have broken down the different payment plans and converted the currency into Canadian dollars to give you an idea of how much Hulu would cost you if you’re in Canada:
|Hulu subscription||Price in US dollars||Price in Canadian dollars|
|Hulu with ads||$7.99/month||$10.65/month|
|Hulu without ads||$17.99/month||$24.57/month|
|Hulu+ Live TV (includes Disney+ and ESPN+)||$69.99/month||$93.29/month|
What is the equivalent of Hulu in Canada?
Due to licensing restrictions, Hulu doesn’t operate outside the US, which means it’s not available to stream in Canada unless you use a reliable VPN to connect to a US server and spoof your location. It’s very easy to do, and it will unlock a whole world of content in a matter of minutes.
But if you want to view content closer to home, there are some fantastic Canadian streaming services that are filled with world-class content to keep you entertained. Crave has loads of great shows, including some you would find on Hulu, such as The Handmaid’s Tale, Game of Thrones, and RuPaul’s Drag Race.
Alternatively, RiverTV gives you access to over 40 network and specialty channels. Its offering includes channels like CBC, CBC News Network, Adult Swim, Showcase, Food, and HGTV.
With such a wide variety of award-winning content, it’s unsurprising that people in Canada want to watch Hulu. But unfortunately, Hulu is only available to watch in the US. Still, that doesn’t mean that Canadian fans have to miss out because there is a very simple workaround.
All you need to do is download a privacy-focused VPN, such as NordVPN, and use it to connect to a server in the US. This will enable you to bypass Hulu’s geo-blocks to stream Hulu from Canada without restrictions.
On top of this, NordVPN is an excellent security tool because it encrypts your data, so it cannot be viewed by cyber criminals and other third parties. On top of this, you can also use a VPN to unblock all sorts of other region-restricted content, including BBC iPlayer, ESPN, and foreign versions of Netflix.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Is Hulu available in Canada?
No, unfortunately, Hulu is geo-blocked to the US, which means it’s not available to stream in Canada. However, you can get around this issue by using a reliable VPN, such as NordVPN, to connect to a server in the US. This will unblock Hulu so you can stream it from Canada.
Why can't Hulu come to Canada?
Hulu currently has location blocks on its content, meaning it’s only available to stream in the US. This is because Hulu must comply with licensing agreements and distribution rights. But you can watch Hulu in Canada if you use a strong VPN, like NordVPN, to connect to a server in the US.
Can you get Hulu in Canada?
Hulu isn’t available in Canada. However, you can still stream Hulu from Canada if you use a reputable VPN, such as , to connect to a server in the US. Your device will then be issued with an IP address from the US, which will unblock the content so you can watch Hulu from anywhere.
How many devices can you have on Hulu?
According to Hulu, you can download the Hulu app and activate your account on as many devices as you want. But you can only stream Hulu on two of your devices at the same time. If you try to stream it on more than two devices simultaneously, you might well be blocked by an error message.