Over the last couple of years, the developer community has been growing rapidly. With so many job opportunities and learning programs becoming more accessible, there's no wonder more people are eager to get into the software development industry.
Whether you're a newbie or a seasoned developer, it is always a good idea to keep a pulse on the latest tech tools and adopt new solutions that would allow you to work smarter, not harder.
To find new additions to improve your workflow, look no further than the Microsoft app store – it has plenty of tools that can elevate data management, automate processes, and just help you write better code, faster.
Best Windows Apps for Developers: Our top picks
If you're looking to enhance your development process, here are some of the best Windows apps that automate tasks, help ensure security, organize data, and most importantly, help you save time.
|Features||Various developer tools|
If you're looking for a comprehensive solution that would help you complete tasks faster, make sure to check out DevToys – an app that encompasses the main developer tools all in one place.
The DevToys app includes these tools:
- Encoders and decoders
- Graphic tools
Another nice feature that DevToys offers is the various text tools that validate, compare and inspect your code, transforming your development workflow and helping you complete projects faster.
- Easy to use
- Useful tools in one place
- Minor bugs and inconsistencies
|Features||Create HTML forms|
DA-FormMaker is an app by DA-Software, a company that builds software that enables webmasters and developers to make their websites more powerful and feature-rich.
Some of the key features of this app include:
- Creating multi-page forms
- Captcha spam protection
- Responsive forms
- Signature/drawing fields
What's great about DA-FormMaker is that you don't need any knowledge in HTML, PHP or CGI to create a fully functional HTML form for your website.
- Create online forms without HTML knowledge
- Supports signature fields
- Calendar and time fields
- Not available on Windows 10 S
Basic notepad apps can often be heavy and unappealing. But not Notepads App – a free and lightweight text editor that offers a modern and intuitive design.
Besides providing a convenient space for developers to write down code or notes, Notepads App is also:
- Blazingly fast and lightweight
- Supports multi-line handwriting
- Has built-in markdown live preview
- Offers a built-in tab system
Another great thing about this app is that it is fully open-source, allowing you to take it even further and adjust it to your liking. Notepads App is still in development and is updated regularly, so keep an eye out for new features.
- Fast and lightweight
- Can have issues with large files
|Features||SSH client and terminal|
Termius is an app created to transform the command line experience and make remote access for admins and engineers easier and more enjoyable.
Using just the free Termius plan, you can:
- Work in several sessions simultaneously
- Customize your terminal themes and fonts for each connection
- Connect using SSH, Mosh, Telnet, Port Forwarding, and SFTP
- Save your favorite and frequently used commands
The best part about Termius, is that specialists can connect to remote devices with just a few clicks, without re-entering IP addresses, ports, or passwords. For more useful features, check out the Termius Pro plan.
- Free plan
- No need to re-enter credentials
- You can connect both from mobile and desktop devices
- Subscription-based business model
|Resources||Blog, use cases, documentation|
|Free plan||Free trial|
If you're on the hunt for a solution that would help you with advanced data management, then DBeaver is the right fit for you. With this app, you can explore, process, and administrate multiple SQL, NoSQL, and cloud data sources.
Here are some of the main features of the DBeaver app:
- Database structure designer
- Data viewer
- Data migration
- SQL editor
All in all, DBeaver allows you to manipulate your data just like in a regular spreadsheet, create analytical reports based on records from different data sources, and export information in various formats.
- Supports multiple databases
- Free trial
- Lacks data visualization features
Best Windows Apps for Developers: Final recommendations
To help you choose the best tools for your next project, here’s a quick rundown of all the apps mentioned in this article:
- DevToys – a comprehensive suite of various developer tools.
- DA-FormMaker – an app that allows you to create forms for your website, no HTML knowledge needed.
- Notepads App – a lightweight and fast text editor for developers.
- Termius – a SSH client and terminal that allows you to access your infrastructure in just a few clicks.
- DBeaver – a data management app that allows you to process and manipulate multiple data sources.