How to use ExpressVPN on Apple TV in 2023
VPN providers are a helpful solution for unblocking geo-restricted content, as many streaming platforms work only in their home countries or are restricted to specific regions. Besides, reliable VPNs, such as ExpressVPN, come with high-end security features, protecting your online security and privacy from various cyberattacks. Unfortunately, Apple TVs don’t allow you to install VPN apps, as their streaming services are powered by tvOS.
Luckily, there’s still a way to bypass this problem. With ExpressVPN, you can connect your Apple TV to a VPN with one of the following methods – via router, Smart DNS, PC, or AirPlay. So, if you want to learn more about how to use ExpressVPN on Apple TV, read on.
How to use ExpressVPN on Apple TV: a quick guide
- Go to ExpressVPN’s router setup page and select your router
- Download and install ExpressVPN on your router. ExpressVPN is now 49% OFF
- Configure your router following the given instructions
- Connect your Apple TV to your Wi-Fi router and enjoy unrestricted content
Is ExpressVPN a good choice for Apple TV?
Yes, ExpressVPN is one of the best VPN choices for Apple TV. It has a huge server fleet, robust unblocking capabilities, and impressive speeds and performance. Let’s have a look at the main ExpressVPN benefits:
- Extensive server network. The first thing that makes ExpressVPN perfect for Apple TV devices and sets it apart from most of its competitors is its huge server range. With more than 3,000 servers across 105 countries, this VPN allows you to use it from anywhere.
- Strong streaming capabilities. If you want to watch your favorite TV show or movie on Apple TV while being in a country where it is restricted, ExpressVPN is a great choice. Thanks to its robust streaming capabilities, you can access any streaming platform regardless of your location.
- Excellent speeds and performance. The amazing streaming capabilities come along with lightning-fast speeds and consistent performance, which is crucial for a top-notch experience.
- Neat iOS and macOS apps. In case you want to mirror your macOS or iOS device to your Apple TV, then the simple and neat ExpressVPN apps significantly help you. However, keep in mind that you need to have the 4th, 5th, or 6th generation Apple TV. In other words, any Apple TV made in 2015 or later can be used with ExpressVPN.
- Router support. One of the best things about using ExpressVPN on Apple TV is that it supports routers. Therefore, you can install dedicated firmware and set up ExpressVPN on your Apple TV without any issues.
How to set up ExpressVPN on Apple TV
There are four ways you can implement to set up ExpressVPN on Apple TV. More precisely, you can install ExpressVPN on your router, set up ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer (Smart DNS) on your Apple TV, share your VPN connection from your PC, or cast your favorite online content by utilizing AirPlay from another Apple device. Here are detailed instructions on how to do each so thatpri you can choose the most convenient one:
How to use ExpressVPN on Apple TV using a router
In order to use ExpressVPN on Apple TV via a router, you first need to ensure that the router is compatible with the VPN. In addition, it’s especially important for it to work with the OpenVPN protocol. Luckily, ExpressVPN has a list of compatible routers as well as extensive setup guides. Here are the general steps for setting up ExpressVPN on Apple TV using a router:
- Open ExpressVPN’s router setup page and choose your router model
- Download and install the respective firmware on your router. Then, follow the installation instructions on your screen
- Configure the router using ExpressVPN’s dashboard
- Connect your Apple TV to your VPN router’s Wi-Fi and you’re all set!
How to use ExpressVPN on Apple TV using MediaStreamer
You can also use ExpressVPN on Apple TV by using its unique Smart DNS feature – MediaStreamer. Here is how to do that:
- Go to the ExpressVPN DNS settings page. You first need to sign in
- Under IP address registration, click Register my IP address. If it already says “registered,” you don’t need to do anything
- Toggle ON Automatically register my IP address
- You can keep your IP address updated by signing in to your ExpressVPN account or using the ExpressVPN app on your device
- Go to the ExpressVPN setup page. There, you will find the MediaStreamer DNS server IP address. You will need this information later, so keep this browser window open
- On your Apple TV device, go to Settings – Network (on older 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation devices, go to Settings – General – Network. Also, set your iTunes Store location to the US)
- Select your current active connection, for example, Wi-Fi
- In the selected connection menu, in our case Wi-Fi, select your Wi-Fi network to access its settings
- Scroll down until you see Configure DNS, and select it
- In the Configure DNS options, select Manual
- Enter the numbers of your MediaStreamer DNS IP address, which you found in step 5
- Restart your Apple TV. You can do that by going to Settings – System – Restart
How to use Express VPN on Apple TV using a PC
You can set up ExpressVPN on Apple TV through your PC. Here are the instructions on how to do it, but keep in mind that the following steps apply to Windows PCs:
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app on your Windows device
- Then go to Start – Settings – Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot
- From Share My Internet connection, choose the internet connection you want to share, for example, Wi-Fi
- Turn on the Mobile hotspot
- For Windows 10: under Related settings, click Change Adapter options. For Windows 11: go to Advanced Network Settings – More network adapter options
- A New Network Connections window will be opened. You will find a network called Local Area Connection*, which is the new mobile hotspot you just created
- Find a network with the name ExpressVPN Wintun Driver. Right-click it and select Properties
- Open the Sharing tab and check the box nearby in order to allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection. Under Home networking connection, select the name of the mobile hotspot (Local Area Connection*) you just created. Click OK
- Open the ExpressVPN app and connect to the server location of your choice
Note: L2TP/IPsec protocol is needed for ExpressVPN to work on macOS, but ExpressVPN no longer supports manual configurations with L2TP.
Set up ExpressVPN on Apple TV using AirPlay
With AirPlay, you can cast videos from your Mac, iPad, or iPhone devices to your Apple TV. So here is how to complete this process:
- Download and install ExpressVPN on your Mac, iPad, or iPhone device
- On your Mac device, open the ExpressVPN app and go to Preferences – General. Make sure that the box nearby (Allow access to devices on the local network) is checked
- Connect to a VPN server of your choice, depending on what kind of streaming service you are going to use
- Open the streaming service and start streaming your chosen content
- If you are streaming on a mobile device, tap the AirPlay icon in the video window. If you are streaming from a Mac, click the Airplay icon and select Apple TV. Remember, your device and Apple TV need to be on the same Wi-Fi network
- You will now see the streaming content on Apple TV
ExpressVPN not working with Apple TV: how to fix it
Using ExpressVPN on your Apple TV may sometimes be a tricky process. Therefore, you may encounter issues from time to time. Luckily, there are easy solutions for the said issues.
- Make sure your IP address is correctly registered. When setting up via Smart DNS, you need to be sure that you’ve allowed ExpressVPN to log your IP address. You need to be very careful when entering your DNS address so that you don’t enter the wrong digit.
- Check all internet connections when using Using AirPlay. In order to activate AirPlay, all devices need to be connected to the same internet network. So, if you cast the content from your iPhone to the Apple TV, make sure both of the devices work on the same Wi-Fi.
- Double check if the MediaStreamer is capable of unblocking the streaming service. If Express VPN’s MediaStreamer isn’t compatible with a streaming service, you’ll be redirected to your local library. MediaStreamer bypasses any connection it cannot unblock and reverts to your local network connection.
If ExpressVPN still doesn’t work on Apple TV, you may need to restart it. To do this, open ExpressVPN’s settings, then go to System and click on Restart. Should you have any more issues, always contact the customer support team – ExpressVPN offers 24/7 live chat support.
How to change countries on Apple TV with ExpressVPN
To change countries on Apple TV when using ExpressVPN is easiest through the router app or connecting via a PC. Simply open the ExpressVPN app and choose a server of a country you want to connect to.
You won’t be able to change your server location natively, if you’re using MediaStreamer Smart DNS, unfortunately.
This is because MediaStreamer has a list of compatible streaming services and uses the same DNS settings to stream HBO Max in the US and BBC iPlayer in the UK. If a geo-restricted streaming service is not supported, you will simply be redirected to your local library.
Apple TVs don’t support VPN services. Fortunately, you can bypass this issue and still use ExpressVPN on Apple TV devices. More precisely, you can configure it on a router, use it through its MediaStreamer, AirPlay, or by sharing it from your computer.
With our step-by-step guides, you should be able to connect ExpressVPN to your Apple TV device in no time. Just follow the instructions carefully, and you’ll be able to watch your favorite worldwide content on your Apple TV.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can I use ExpressVPN on my Apple TV?
Yes, you can use ExpressVPN on your Apple TV. While you can’t install it directly, you can configure it on a router or use its MediaStreamer to cast content. Also, you can share the VPN through your PC or use AirPlay to mirror your other Apple device on the TV.
Why is Netflix not working on Apple TV with ExpressVPN?
How do you use ExpressVPN on Apple TV?
You can use ExpressVPN on Apple TV by implementing four different methods. You can use AirPlay, share it via a PC, utilize its MediaStreamer feature, or configure it on a router.