Even though iPhones are known for their privacy and security, they still don’t secure all the incoming and outgoing traffic. Every time you connect to a public wifi source or browse insecure online websites, you put your personal data at risk. If you’re looking to protect your browsing activity and information, a VPN is an excellent solution.
With a VPN, your traffic will be encrypted and the IP address hidden. Plus, the best iPhone VPNs will also protect you from unwanted ads, trackers, and malicious websites, giving you excellent all-around protection.
For this post, we’ve armed ourselves with iPhones running on the latest versions of iOS and checked out dozens of VPN providers – here’s a list of the best VPNs for iPhone in 2022 for you to choose from.
Best iPhone VPNs for 2022:
- NordVPN – the bestVPN for iPhone with market-leading security features
- Surfshark – next-gen iPhone VPN for unlimited simultaneous connections
- Atlas VPN – feature-rich iOS VPN for boosted security and comfortable browsing
- PrivateVPN – secure iPhone VPN with customizable encryption and more
- IPVanish – good for unblocking Netflix on iOS devices and ensuring everyday online safety
What features you should look for in the iPhone VPN?
Looking for the iPhone VPN? Here are some of the top features that separate the excellent options apart:
- Super fast tunneling protocols – you want your iPhone VPN to be fast. Options like WireGuard connection protocol guarantee you lightning-fast connection speeds matched with top security.
- Threat protection – the most secure VPNs for iPhone offer excellent additional security features. Threat protection will block annoying ads, pop-ups, and malicious websites from interfering with your browsing experience.
- AES-256 bit encryption – VPN has to offer you protection: and the best iPhone VPNs offer advanced, military-grade AES-256 bit encryptions, that will keep all of your traffic encrypted from hackers.
- Kill switch feature – when you’re connected to a VPN, you want the security to be consistent and reliable. In the rare cases, the VPN connection drops, a kill switch feature will temporarily shut off the internet and protect your iPhone’s data from leaking.
- IP rotator – some iPhone VPNs will also offer an IP rotator, which changes your given IP address every other minute – allowing you to stay invisible online, and your browsing information not tied to one IP address, giving you an additional layer of privacy and security.
- Obfuscated servers – certain locations heavily try to crack down on VPN connections. Obfuscated server option on your iPhone VPN app will hide the fact you’re using the VPN, letting you browse with no interruptions, and a full peace of mind.
Best VPNs for iPhone – our detailed list:
Don't be swayed by the overblown promises of VPN ads. Creating a quality VPN for iOS is no small task. Even the top VPN service providers have a hard time creating functional apps. Here are the best-in-class VPNs for iPhone that excel in security, performance, and have numerous useful features.
1. NordVPN – the ultimate iOS VPN
|Works with:||iOS 11.0 and up|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 68% OFF 🔥|
NordVPN is the best VPN for iPhone, no question about it. Despite Apple’s strict supervision, often forcing developers to cut features from their product, NordVPN does an amazing job – giving you just about anything you could want.
For instance, NordVPN is one of the safest VPNs for iPhone that includes a kill switch. The always-on feature will drop your internet connection whenever the VPN connection fails, giving you a full protection at all times. Plus, there are also other features, such as Threat Protection. It blocks unwated pop-up ads, and stops malware threatening you over malicious websites.
The minor tweaks on the iOS app also make NordVPN excellent to use on mobile. There's a favorites tab, which allows you to access servers you use most frequently quickly. Also, depending on what you have selected on your device, NordVPN will automatically pick either the light or dark theme. Not to mention the interface that is both – easy-to-use and attractive to the eye.
The service is impressive in technical regards, as well. It encrypts your connection with the military-grade 256-bit AES cipher. Plus, on iOS, you can use the IKEv2, OpenVPN (UDP/TCP), and NordLynx tunneling protocols. They cover all the bases, giving you the ultimate security and good versatility options.
NordVPN offers a fully-featured VPN experience right on your phone. Secure your online connection, stream your favorite shows, kick back, and relax – if something isn’t up to your liking, there’s always a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Includes kill switch
- Unblocks Netflix
- Great speed test scores
- Built-in adblocker
- Specialty servers
- 24/7 live chat support
- No free version
- Sign-up requires email address
2. Surfshark – the VPN for iOS for unlimited connections
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Works with:||iOS 10.3.3 and up|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥|
Surfshark is one of the best iPhone VPN options in the market. And why wouldn’t it be? With unlimited simultaneous connection options, you can connect just about all devices you and your family own on one account.
Plus, the features you’ll be getting on Surfshark’s iOS app are seriously impressive. The kill switch, rarely found in iPhone VPNs, is nice and present. The CleanWeb feature acts as a browsing filter, blocking phishing and malware URLs, and as an ad blocker for pop-ups and ads. All of this guarantees you the most secure and fluent browsing experience.
For those in countries with strict internet rules, Surfshark will automatically enable NoBorders mode. A special list of servers will help you browse the internet with no heavy content restrictions. And to make you more invisible online Surfshark has implemented the IP rotator feature that changes your supposed IP address every other moment.
Surfshark will protect your privacy with the AES-256 cipher, which is unbreakable for petty hackers and government institutions alike. On the Surfshark iPhone app, you can route your connections using IKEv2, OpenVPN (UDP/TCP), or WireGuard.
And the flawlessness of the interface that Surfsahrk offers for its users is a cherry on top. Nicely designed application and as user-friendly as possible for a VPN to be.
All in all, Surfshark is an excellent choice for an iPhone VPN: making your browsing faster and more secure than ever.
- Includes kill switch
- Built-in adblocker
- Unblocks Netflix
- 24/7 live chat support
- Unlimited simultaneous devices
- Free trial for iOS users
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No free version
- No Whitelister feature
3. Atlas VPN – feature-rich VPN for iPhone
|Based in:||The US|
|Works with:||iOS 13 and up|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get Atlas VPN, now 83% OFF + 2 months FREE 🔥|
Atlas VPN is for sure one of the best VPNs for the iPhone. It’s not just because it has an intuitive interface, unlimited connections, and a pretty good free version. With excellent online security features, it’s also a perfect browsing partner for all iPhone users.
The SafeBrowse functionality is an additional security measure, blocking malicious websites. While it’s nowhere close to a full-fledged antivirus, it’s a great way to avoid phishing and malware. The SafeSwap option will constantly rotate your IP address. It makes it even more difficult for anyone to track your online activity – not only do you get a secret IP address, but you also receive plenty of them.
While the iOS versions of the apps are often worse than their Android counterparts, Atlas VPN does well on iPhones. You get a system-wide kill switch and a data hack detection feature. It checks whether your device has appeared in any data breaches and notifies you.
Atlas VPN works with several streaming services, allows torrenting, and offers solid all-around speeds, including a super fast and safe WireGuard protocol. It’s an excellent all-around VPN for iPhone.
Finally, it’s a well-designed application for both – fresh VPN users and advanced ones. The only thing we lacked was a map for seeing server locations.
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- Strong encryption
- Unblocks most streaming services
- Live support
- Free version
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Based in the US
- Small server fleet
4. PrivateVPN – a highly customizable iOS VPN
|Works with:||iOS 10 and up|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PrivateVPN, now 85% OFF! 🔥|
PrivateVPN is a great safety-oriented VPN for iPhone, with plenty of customization options. Its Stealth VPN function is excellent for bypassing geo-blocks in countries with restrictive online laws, like China. IPv6 leak protection also keeps your identity safe, even after sudden disconnections from the VPN network.
In terms of customization, PrivateVPN does well, too. You can purchase a dedicated IP if you want to connect to the same IP address every time you launch the VPN. There's also a choice between four encryption ciphers, including 256-bit encryption: you can pick whether you need more speed or stronger security.
PrivateVPN’s iOS app allows you to use OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, IKEv2, and IPSec protocols.
And even though the interface is rather a plain one, PrivateVPN does the VPN basics well, too. It’s excellent at unlocking streaming content like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, and YouTube and offers worldwide servers in whopping 37 countries.
Interested? PrivateVPN offers a 7-day free trial, a 30-day money-back guarantee, and 6 simultaneous connections that you can use on all of your iOS devices.
- Highly customizable
- Three tunneling protocols on iOS
- 7-day free trial
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 6 simultaneous connections
- Works in China
- Dedicated IP option
- iOS app doesn’t offer full desktop features
- Smaller server fleet
5. IPVanish – good for unblocking Netflix
|Based in:||United States|
|Works with:||iOS 12 and up|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 63% OFF IPVanish + an Antivirus🔥|
IPVanish is a solid VPN for all your iOS devices. It’s a capable all-rounder for just about anyone, with good overall performance, a powerful iPhone app, and full streaming features.
Many iOS users will appreciate built-in Siri shortcuts. Customizable On-Demand connections will let you see exactly when and how a VPN should be connected. If something is blocking you from connecting to a VPN, the alternative connection mode can help you bypass these issues. You can also switch between a light and dark mode depending on your preference.
Sadly, there is no built-in kill switch, a feature found in some other iOS VPNs.
Also, the iOS application interface has been slightly ignored while Windows apps were getting nice improvements.
On the brighter side, IPVanish has 2000 servers in 50 server locations, giving you a massive variety of worldwide options. The vast list of countries can also come in handy when trying to unblock various Netflix libraries or geo-blocked YouTube videos, which IPVanish is more than capable of doing.
With unlimited devices being able to use one IPVanish account simultaneously, you can connect just about any device you own. With a great iPhone app and interesting special features, IPVanish is a good VPN to consider.
- Good P2P speeds
- Unlimited connections
- DNS leak protection
- Automatization options
- Good customer support portal
- Siri shortcuts
- WireGuard tunnel
- Price increases after a year
- Doesn't work in China
6. PureVPN – a strong VPN solution for iPhone
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Works with:||iOS 12.3 and up|
|Current deal:||Get PureVPN 82% OFF + 3 months FREE|
PureVPN is a seriously underrated VPN for iPhone. A modern minimalistic iOS app with light and dark themes, excellent security, and solid streaming functionality goes toe to toe with some of the market’s biggest names. And with 6500+ servers in over 78+ locations, you get access to one of the best infrastructures in the business.
With different server modes available right on the PureVPN iOS app (Streaming, Internet Freedom, Security, File Sharing), you’ll be able to get the best server for your needs quickly. More advanced users will also appreciate Port forwarding. And if your VPN connection suddenly drops, the app also offers options for quickly reconnecting to a server, giving you a smooth and seamless browsing experience.
But not all is perfect – sadly, the iOS app for PureVPN doesn’t offer access to a fast WireGuard tunneling protocol. You will be limited to slower (but still very good) options for OpenVPN TCP, OpenVPN UDP, and IKEv2.
All things considered, PureVPN is an excellent VPN for iPhone users. If you're keen to try the service, you can get any subscription plans and use its 31-day money-back guarantee.
- AES-256 encryption
- Can unblock streaming sites including Netflix
- Supports torrenting
- No DNS leaks
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- Vast selection of VPN protocols
- Doesn’t support WireGuard
- No free version
7. VyprVPN – best companion for Apple devices
|Works with:||iOS 13 and up|
|Current deal:||Get VyprVPN, now 44% OFF the 1-year plan!|
VyprVPN is an excellent VPN for security with a comfortable iOS app to use. With solid AES-256 cipher encryption, an extensive list of available tunneling protocols, and a strict no-log policy, it’s a great option for anyone taking their online security seriously.
The tunneling list selection of IKEv2, OpenVPN, WireGuard, and Chameleon is available for any VPN use case. Some options are meant for lightning-fast speeds; others – for bypassing restrictive censorship laws. Whatever you want, the VyprVPN iOS app has it, as all VyprVPN protocols are available on the app as well.
Public wifi protection will automatically connect to a VPN when you connect to unfamiliar online networks. Automatic reconnect options will also let you seamlessly get back to VPN browsing when the connection drops. Sadly, the iOS app has no kill switch to complete this great setup. It also lacks split tunneling, so you won’t be able to choose which apps get to use the VPN connection and which don’t.
VyprVPN is also pretty good in streaming. Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and DAZN were all available. If you’re looking for a simple iOS VPN with excellent security options and a vast selection of tunneling protocols, VyprVPN might be the answer.
- Public Wi-Fi protection
- Unblocks Netflix
- 3-day free trial
- Excellent security and privacy
- Works in China
- 24/7 live chat
- Lacks unique features
- No anonymous payments
- No free version
How we selected and tested these VPNs
Finding cybersecurity products for an iPhone is no small task as the limitations of the iOS itself play a role. All third-party apps are sandboxed by Apple and can't easily modify parameters. This makes adding features like a kill switch difficult, as it interferes with a lot of other processes.
In turn, it also makes choosing a VPN more problematic. Yet, here are the criteria that we selected when choosing the best ones.
- Security. Although Apple's App Store is much better curated than Google Play Store, it doesn't mean that all apps are safe or will protect your connection. We made sure that each selected service uses a strong encryption cipher, such as AES-256, with secure tunneling protocols, like WireGuard or OpenVPN. Using the correct security features combination ensures that you stay untraceable online.
- iOS client. Most VPN clients for iOS are garbage, especially compared to what Android or desktop users are getting. Still, it doesn't mean that you just give up. There are some notable examples of VPN providers that push the envelope further, granting essential features that you need. We have thoroughly tested each provider’s app to learn whether they can give the best experience with a comfortable interface and essential features, such as a kill switch, ad blocker, and obfuscation.
- Servers and locations. It’s rather necessary that a VPN would have a large server fleet. It’s useful to have many options not only for unblocking geo-restricted content, but also in case some of the servers do not work. Moreover, a wide selection of servers prevents from bumping into overcrowded ones. We have looked for services that offer the best selection of server locations and the proper amount of servers.
- Performance. Using the same tunneling protocols doesn't mean that they will be implemented equally. Implementation is a factor, and even if a service has WireGuard, it doesn't guarantee a faster connection speed than OpenVPN. You have to check how the service acts in real life. And to test the performance, we have compared the functionalities of features in every VPN service.
- Censorship circumvention. The ability to access restricted websites is one of the reasons why people are looking into VPNs. Yet, it’s not something all services can deliver. Only the best VPNs are compatible with Netflix and other streaming platforms. Therefore, we have tried each VPN service for unblocking a variety of geo-restricted content.
- Price. There should be a healthy ratio between the price and the things that you get. If there is an imbalance, this isn't something that gets you higher up the best VPN for iPhone list. To learn whether the service offers a fair money and quality ratio, we have summed up each result from performed testing and compared them to the price.
Best VPNs for iPhone compared
To ease your journey of selecting the best iPhone VPN we have each provider in a single table. Check them out below:
|WireGuard tunneling protocol:||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Kill switch feature:||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Split tunneling feature:||No||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Extra features:||Dark web monitor, specialty servers, threat protection, Siri shortcuts||CleanWeb, bypasser, obfuscation, specialty servers, IP rotator||SafeBrowse, data breach monitoring, ad blocker, proxy servers, tracker blocker||Stealth VPN||On demand feature, Siri shortcuts, an alternate connection mode||Port forwarding, dedicated P2P servers||Public Wi-Fi protection, automatic reconnect|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark VPN review||Atlas VPN review||PrivateVPN review||IPVanish review||PureVPN review||VyprVPN review|
How to set up a VPN app on iPhone or iOS
There are two routes on how you can set up a VPN on iPhone: installing an app that automatically adds all the needed configurations or setting it up manually. If you're going down the manual route, it's worth mentioning that you should already have a remote VPN server to connect to.
Installing a VPN app on iOS
- Head to Apple's App Store
- Download and install a VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Launch the app and log in
- The app will ask to add VPN configurations, allow it
- Select your preferred server and connect
- Enjoy secure browsing
Setting up a VPN on iOS manually
It might seem that setting up a VPN manually requires lots of effort and technical knowledge. However, it's nothing more than a few steps and easy-to-do task. Let us show you how:
- From your home screen, go to Settings
- Tap General, then VPN
- On the new screen, tap Add VPN configuration
- Tap Type, then select the appropriate protocol
- Enter the required VPN settings information
- Enter your login data
- Tap Done and select your configured VPN service. NordVPN works great on iPhones.
We have tested completed these steps on several iOS devices and they worked great for us. If you come across any issues while setting up a VPN on your iPhone, feel free to ask in the comments section below or contact your VPN service customer support team!
Is it safe to use a VPN on an iPhone?
Yes, it’s safe to use a VPN on your iPhone as long as you're relying on a reputable service provider. A trustworthy VPN will protect your data at all times, collect no user information, and purge any logs that they have on you as soon as you disconnect from their service. Even if the government came knocking on their doors, they would have nothing to show them.
Of course, there are some VPNs that are not safe to use. Some free-forever VPN services can literally scrape the concept altogether and sell off your data for profit. Needless to say, such products have little to do with cybersecurity and can be a considered a threat to your privacy. Not even owning a security-conscious Apple device can protect you from this.
To help increase security, Apple offers its own VPN solution for iPhones – called Private Relay, it’s still in beta, and comes on a premium version of iCloud+.
It’s also not even close to what professional VPNs can offer. Private Relay only works with Safari, and no other browsers or applications. You also can’t choose your preferred region, so accessing restricted international content is out of question. And finally, major networks can easily sniff out that you’re using it, restricting access altogether. While Private Relay is an interesting preposition for improving your online security, it’s nowhere close to a complete package.
So, if you want all the premium iPhone VPN features, and full peace of mind in one neat package, choose a reliable premium VPN. iPhone’s customizable VPN settings work well with options like NordVPN. Getting a reliable third-party choice will help you will stay untrackable and undamaged by cybercriminals – as well as get some additional features Apple couldn’t offer.
What is the fastest VPN for iPhone?
All the iPhone VPNs on this list are genuinely fast – but which one's the fastest? For this test, we put the highest-rated VPNs to the test, checking their speeds from various international locations.
If all you care about on a VPN is speed, the fastest server will be the one that’s closest to your physical location. However, if you're interested in unlocking international streaming content, and geo-restricted sites, international performance will also be crucial. So, we tested both.
- Baseline: 300 Mbps download/300 Mbps upload
|VPN service||Closest server||Average international speed|
|NordVPN||281 Mbps||249 Mbps|
|Surfshark||272 Mbps||263 Mbps|
|Atlas VPN||256 Mbps||239 Mbps|
The top 3 providers were surprisingly close to one another. NordVPN was the best all-around option, Surfshark had the best international speeds, and Atlas VPN came third because the further locations were less speedy.
Does using a VPN slow down your connection?
Yes, a VPN does slow down the Internet connection speed. However, reliable VPNs, such as NordVPN or Surfshark, use top-notch tunelling protocols, whether it’s the in-house one or the famous WireGuard. These VPNs make sure that your connection drop would be so low that you could barely notice it.
Of course, there are other VPN services that also use the WireGuard tunnel, yet they don’t manage to maintain it correctly which results in unstable and slower connection speed. Additionally, not only the protocol matters but also the server fleet. The bigger the number of servers is the better connection speed you get to enjoy. Therefore, only the fastest VPN that offers every essential feature should draw your attention.
Are free iPhone VPN apps worth it?
No, as our testing showed, no matter where they come from, free iPhone VPNs will be worse than premium VPN options.
Premium companies, like Atlas VPN and ProtonVPN, offer free versions of their product. However, they are meant to be limited, with small bandwidth and fewer features – so you eventually choose a paid option. Both them and free options from the App Store will also have a smaller server fleet, used by too many users at the same time. Not only the browsing experience will be slower, but accessing streaming services and torrenting files should also be a problem.
The best workaround is to buy a premium plan from a VPN, like NordVPN, use it for a few weeks and take advantage of the reliable money-back guarantees or stay with them. Because all in all, free iPhone VPN apps are not worth it.
Video review: Best VPNs for iPhone
If you're shopping for a good VPN for iPhone, the options are a bit scarce, but it's possible to find one that does its job well. If you're choosing from trustworthy providers, you can get a secure tool that increases your privacy and unlocks a truly global browsing experience. For that, our top choice is NordVPN.
With it, you receive an easy-to-use interface, a selection of top-notch security features, and, most importantly, an enhanced browsing experience. Overall, an iOS device with a VPN is a superb combination. An extra layer of security is always worth having!
More VPN guides from Cybernews
How do I keep my iOS VPN connection always on?
To pull this off, you'll need to reset your iPhone completely and put it into supervised mode as if you were an organization administrating the device. Then, you'll also need to create an always-on VPN configuration profile using Apple Configurator.
Does VPN harm your phone?
If your service is trustworthy, there's nothing to be afraid of. Your connection becomes much more secure with a VPN than without it. Keep in mind that a VPN is a piece of software, which can be subject to bugs and vulnerabilities. That's why penetration test results and bug bounties are important.
Does a VPN work on an iPad?
iPhones and iPads share the same operating system (currently, iOS 14.5). This makes them identical, which means that the apps are cross-compatible. So, naturally, VPN apps for iPad are the same as VPN apps for iPhones. There might be some icon size tweaks, but generally, you're getting a very similar product.
Does iPhone have a built-in VPN?
No, iPhone doesn't have a built-in VPN. Despite marketing its newest "Private Relay" function as a built-in security option, it doesn't have the same functions and security as a dedicated VPN. However, iPhone has built-in support for IKEv2, IPSec, and L2TP tunneling protocol, letting you easily and securely set up a third-party VPN.
What is the best VPN for iPhone?
The best VPN for iPhone is NordVPN. It includes the kill switch feature and supports IKEv2, OpenVPN (UDP/TCP), and NordLynx tunneling protocols. Also, you can use it to unblock the most popular streaming platforms, like Netflix. There’s even a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied with the services.
Does a VPN affect the battery life of the iPhone?
Yes, a VPN does affect the battery life of the iPhone. However, the damage is not any different from what any other application would do. That being said, a VPN doesn’t affect the battery life more than every regular iPhone application.
Does using a VPN increase iPhone data usage?
Yes, using a VPN increases iPhone data usage. Yet, the numbers are not too harsh, it increases by only 10-15% due to encrypting your traffic. The tougher encryption cipher is used, the more data it consumes.