How to install ExpressVPN on Amazon Fire Stick?
Amazon’s Fire Stick is a popular streaming device that allows you to stream videos, play music, and install apps on your TV. The Fire Stick connects to your wifi network and can stream popular content from different streaming services, including Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, and others.
In addition, the Fire Stick supports different apps like Sling TV, fuboTV, and others, and lets you bypass cable services.
A reliable VPN, like ExpressVPN, is an excellent addition to the Fire Stick. So your data can be encrypted online and secured from thor party threats; it will change your IP address to unblock various geo-blocked content, and hide your activity from the ISP, to prevent ISP speed throttling.
Read further to see how to set up ExpressVPN on your Amazon Fire Stick device. In addition, you’ll see the full list of perks a VPN provides for you when installed on the Fire Stick device.
Install ExpressVPN on Fire Stick: a quick guide
These are the simple steps to install the ExpressVPN app from the Amazon Store:
- Search for the ExpressVPN app on the Fire Stick home screen.
- Click on the app and download it.
- Open the app and sign in to your account.
- Activate your ExpressVPN account for Fire Stick.
- Enjoy streaming on the Fire Stick devices!
Why choose ExpressVPN to unblock Amazon Fire Stick devices?
ExpressVPN is a reliable, versatile VPN tool to use with Amazon Fire Stick devices. This is one of our top-rated VPNs not only for streaming purposes but also for data protection. Here are the main reasons why you should choose ExpressVPN for Fire Stick devices:
- Security. By encrypting your internet connection, ExpressVPN adds privacy and security while you are streaming. AES 256-bit encryption ensures your privacy from ISP and government (in case some pirated third-party app or add-on has been downloaded on your device).
- Bypass geo-restrictions. The last time ExpressVPN publicly stated how many servers they had, it was over 3000 servers in 94 countries. So, you’ll easily be able to unblock geo-restricted content on streaming services and access unlimited content libraries.
- Speed. Encrypting your connection with a VPN can hide your streaming activities from your IPS and prevent connection speed throttling. Preventing throttling will improve streaming speed and overall performance.
- Streaming. With a VPN, you can unblock different streaming platforms, like Netflix, HBO Max, and others, if they aren’t available in your country. In addition, while traveling, you’ll be able to stream your favorite shows and local content.
How to Install ExpresssVPN: detailed guide
The ExpressVPN installation process for Fire Stick and Fire TV devices is the same. ExpressVPN app can be found in the Amazon App Store and be downloaded straight on the Fire TV or the Fire Stick device.
Here’s a detailed guide on how to set up your ExpressVPN on the Fire Stick devices from Amazon Store:
- Click the Search icon on your Fire device and type ExpressVPN.
- Select ExpressVPN and click Download.
- Launch ExpressVPN by clicking on Open.
- Proceed to ExpressVPN account activation.
However, if, for any reason, you cannot access the Amazon website – don’t worry, there’s a workaround. It is possible to sideload the ExpressVPN app to your Fire device. Here’s how:
- On the Fire device and go to Settings > My Fire TV > Developer Options.
- Toggle Apps from Unknown Sources on.
- Click the Search icon and type Downloader.
- Select Download.
- Allow Downloader to access photos, media, and files on your device and click OK.
- Enter the ExpressVPN APK installer URL, which is expressvpn.com/latest/android, and select Go.
- Click Install to complete the installation.
How to use ExpressVPN on Firestick
After you have installed the VPN, launch the ExpressVPN app and enter your login information. Then you’ll be asked to accept ExpressVPN’s connection request, so just click OK.
Now you’ll be able to see ExpressVPN’s interface. To connect to a server location, you’ll need to click on the circular button, which by default, has the Smart Location feature. This feature automatically chooses the connection location based on the best optimal experience – download speed, latency, and distance.
You’ll have to click on the same circular button to disconnect from your VPN connection. When successfully disconnected, you’ll see the message “Not connected”.
To change your server location, click on the three dots to pick from the drop-down list of all possible connection locations. You can add server locations to the favorite category for quicker connections. All you have to do is press and hold the select button.
To enable the kill switch, on the ExpressVPN app, click the Options menu, select Settings > Network Protection, and toggle the option Block internet when unable to connect or reconnect to VPN on. To turn off the kill switch, toggle the same option off.
In the same settings menu, you can also turn on the split tunneling feature or enable the auto-connect option, allowing ExpressVPN to connect automatically to the VPN server you last used.
More so, you can also choose a different VPN protocol, but it is recommended to leave it Automatic for the best experience.
ExpressVPN’s app should keep itself updated automatically. Just make sure that automatic updates are enabled: go to Fire TV/Stick Settings > Applications > Appstore > Automatic Updates and turn it ON.
Why doesn't ExpressVPN work on my Fire Stick or Fire TV?
There are a few reasons why ExpressVPN may not be working with your Fire Stick devices, and luckily it’s easily solvable. Here’s what you should try:
- Clear data and cache. On the home screen, find Settings and click “Select”. Select Applications > Manage Installed Applications. Scroll down until you reach ExpressVPN. Select it, then select “Clear data”, then “Clear cache”.
- Reconnect to the app. Try to disconnect and reconnect to a server, maybe the server was previously too full, and therefore your connection was disrupted.
- Change servers. Manually select other server locations in the same or another country depending on your streaming platform.
- Update Fire Stick. Go to the Fire device Settings and select My Fire TV > About. Click on Check Updates. If there is an update, click the Install Update option.
- Update or change VPN. First, check if your ExpressVPN app is up to date. If it is, consider getting a different VPN provider compatible with Fire Stick devices. Our top pick is NordVPN.
- Check your connection. Whether it’s your internet connection or your connection to Fire Stick devices, check if the connection isn’t interrupted.
- Contact customer support. Maybe you’re not the only one dealing with the issue, so try contacting customer support for additional information.
ExpressVPN on first-generation Fire Stick
Unfortunately, ExpressVPN is incompatible with first-generation Amazon Fire TV devices. It’s due to the first-generation Fire devices not supporting VPN tunneling. However, there is a way to work around this issue:
- You can configure ExpressVPN on your router. This VPN is one of the few with its router firmware that you can set up for free if your router is compatible.
- You can use ExpressVPN’s Smart DNS proxy, Media Streamer, to unblock as many streaming platforms as the VPN itself. This feature works on devices that don’t support a VPN.
- You can set up a wifi hotspot from any other of your devices, for example, your phone or a laptop. The other device should be connected to ExpressVPN.
Is it worth getting a free VPN on Fire Stick?
You can certainly try using a free VPN on Fire Stick if you find one compatible. However, you should remember that a free VPN is not comparable to a paid VPN subscription since it is a more limited tool.
More so, you can try out one of our top-rated free VPNs to get a secure tool to protect your data online and try connecting to the Fire Stick device. Just make sure to check if it will be compatible.
Alternatively, you can always use the ExpressVPN free trial or the 30-day money-back guarantee to try out this service risk-free.
You’ll have access to all of ExpressVPN’s features during the trial period. This includes the vast list of servers in 94 countries, AES-256 data encryption, and a reliable kill switch to prevent accidental leaks.
For more information about what this VPN can offer, check out our detailed ExpressVPN review.
More VPN guides from Cybernews
Does ExpressVPN work with Hulu?: Learn how to unblock Hulu in your country
TunnelBear vs ExpressVPN: which one is better?
Does ExpressVPN work with Netflix?: learn how to use it
ExpressVPN free trial: find out how to use ExpressVPN's 7-day free trial
How to use ExpressVPN on Roku?: step-by-step guide
Does ExpressVPN work with Firestick?
Yes, ExpressVPN works with Fire Stick devices. It is compatible with Fire TV versions: 2nd Generation, 3rd Generation, Fire TV Cube, and Fire TV sticks: 4K, 4K Max, 2nd Generation, and 3rd Generation.
How to check if ExpressVPN is working on Fire Stick?
You can use ExpressVPN’s IP Address Checker. If ExpressVPN is working, your IP address displayed will match the place you are connected to. And you will see a message that says, “Your IP address is secured”.
How much is ExpressVPN for Fire Stick?
The standard ExpressVPN subscription price also applies to Fire Stick, starting from $6.67/month and covering up to 5 devices.
Can streaming services detect if I am using ExpressVPN on Fire Stick?
No, streaming services can’t detect ExpressVPN on Fire Stick. Its security features make its servers undetectable.
Why is there no ExpressVPN on my Fire Stick device?
You may not find ExpressVPN on your Fire device because 1st Generation Firesticks do not support VPNs. To overcome this problem, you can try the alternative solutions described above.
Does ExpressVPN work with Netflix on Fire Stick?
Yes, ExpressVPN works with the Netflix streaming platform on Fire Stick. You can access a variety of Netflix’s content libraries, including the US, the UK, Canadian, and more. In addition, the streaming experience will be seamless and of high quality.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked