Nigeria is a country that has a lot of control over its citizens’ access to the internet. Unfortunately, the Nigerian government isn’t known for advancements in free speech, as shown by the recent Twitter ban in the country. However, a good VPN can solve this issue, allowing you to access any censored information.
So, whether you’re a pro-Biafra blogger, human rights activist, or simply want to access the uncensored Internet, this best VPN for Nigeria list is here to help.
Best VPNs for Nigeria – our shortlist:
- NordVPN – best overall VPN for Nigeria
- Surfshark – best value VPN for Nigeria
- VyprVPN – most underrated VPN for Nigeria
- Hotspot Shield – best VPN with a weak connection
- CyberGhost – one of the cheapest VPNs for Nigeria
What to consider when choosing a VPN in Nigeria?
Before you spend your hard-earned cash, you should be aware that not all VPNs are made equal. Each has its strengths and weaknesses, so your choice should be an informed one. Regardless of what you’re planning to do with it: unblocking Twitter or accessing the free press, here’s a short list of tips that will be useful when you’re choosing your VPN.
- Good server coverage. Currently, there are only 79 data centers in all of Africa. Compare that to Europe’s 1290, and you’ll quickly get the picture. VPN providers just don’t have that many places to rent servers. If you’re connecting to further locations, the distance will result in a bigger speed drop-off. You need a provider that offers good coverage to get decent performance.
- Strong security. If your government controls the internet service providers (ISPs), not only can it determine what you’re accessing. The government can also persecute those accessing outlawed media. For this reason, you need strong encryption ciphers and secure tunneling protocols. If well implemented, these should be uncrackable, which will keep your identity and online activities unknown.
- Additional features. Although these aren’t a must, they can create additional value on their own. Whether you want to unblock streaming websites, need features like split tunneling or additional security features (like Tor over VPN), some VPNs will get you what you want.
- Price. Usually, VPNs are the most expensive when getting a 1-month plan and get cheaper the longer you’re subscribing for. Still, some services provide much better deals than others.
VPNs for Nigeria – our detailed list
While most VPNs will probably work in Nigeria, we picked only the best ones. Every single spot is rightfully earned and should provide an optimal experience.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for Nigeria
|Logging:||Independently-audited no-logs policy|
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 59 countries|
|Streaming:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, Youtube|
This service provider is using the military-grade AES-256-CBC encryption cipher with the SHA-512 hash function. What this means in plain English is that your connection will be impenetrable. It would take a lifetime of brute-forcing to get through it.
Performance-wise, you shouldn’t be disappointed, either. Their proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol runs faster than default WireGuard. You should be getting pretty good speeds, especially if you connect to locations like Spain.
Whether you want to go overboard with security or get additional subscription befits, NordVPN covers both ends. There are even safer Double VPN and Tor over VPN servers. In addition, you can enable features like web filters or split tunneling to better control which apps use the VPN.
All of this can be yours without costing an arm and a leg. NordVPN often has discounts for longer subscriptions. Not to mention that there’s a standard 30-day money-back guarantee. You can try the service, and if something doesn’t meet your expectations, refund it without hassle.
- Excellent security and privacy
- Top speeds
- Anonymous payments
- Netflix and other streaming sites
- Torrenting allowed (SOCKS5 proxy)
- 24/7 live chat
- No serious flaws
2. Surfshark – the most features for the lowest price
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 65 countries|
|Streaming:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Youtube|
Surfshark’s ultimate ace card is its ability to offer the most for the lowest possible price. Not only are you getting all the security suite essentials, but they also have a strict no-logs policy, decent server coverage, and they throw in some extra features.
Surfshark lets you customize the encryption by switching between AES-256-GCM and Chacha20Poly1305 ciphers. These are both really strong ciphers that will ensure your data remains hidden.
Recently, their service infrastructure was audited by Cure53. This confirms that their RAM-only servers are up to the highest security standards. Plus, none of them are keeping any logs following the company’s no-logs policy.
Surfshark supports breaking-edge tunneling protocols like WireGuard. With it, your connection speeds won’t be that different from your baseline speed. There’s even a physical server in Nigeria (which, sadly, won’t get you onto Twitter).
As part of your subscription, you’re also getting CleanWeb filters, Camouflage Mode that masks your connection as regular traffic, and multi-hop and split tunneling (Whitelister) features. All of them will be useful whether you’re evading the government closing in on you or just trying to regain a sense of online privacy.
Surfshark allows torrenting on their dedicated P2P servers. So, you will be able to download torrent files or watch Popcorn Time.
Finally, you can take advantage of the friendly prices. There is a free 7-day trial if you first download the app from Google Play or App Store. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee. Even if you get a long subscription and don’t like something, you’ll easily find a way out.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Low prices
- Great performance
- Unblocks streaming sites
- Allows P2P and has split tunneling
- 24/7 live chat
- No serious flaws
3. VyprVPN – exceptional security and performance
|Logging:||Independently-audited no-logs policy|
|Servers/countries:||700+ servers in 70 countries|
|Streaming:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, Youtube|
VyprVPN is one of the lesser-known VPN service providers that still delivers top-quality security and performance. It ticks all the boxes in features, privacy, and server coverage.
This service relies on AES-256-CBC encryption with the SHA-256 hash algorithm. When connected, your data will be impossible to retrieve.
You’ll also easily find nearby servers to connect to. VyprVPN has servers in Algeria and Egypt which should provide decent speeds. All of the VPN’s servers belong to the company – they don’t rent. This means better security and performance.
VyprVPN also supports a wide variety of tunneling protocols. For example, the Chameleon 2.0 protocol disguises your connection as regular traffic, allowing you to bypass even the most extreme Internet blocks. For those looking for speed, you can also choose WireGuard as the true next-gen option.
This VPN is compatible with P2P networks. So, torrenting files or watching content on Popcorn Time should run without any problems. You can also easily unblock most streaming platforms or websites like Twitter.
Finally, VyprVPN is cheap, but if you’re still hesitant, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee to ease your worries.
- Supports many platforms
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Very fast
- Natively supports new Apple M1 chips
- Unblocks multiple streaming services
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No anonymous payments
- No browser extensions
4. Hotspot Shield – one of the fastest VPNs for Nigeria
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||1,800 servers in 85 countries|
|Streaming:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Youtube|
Hotspot Shield is among the fastest VPNs on the planet, and it’s particularly good with a weak internet connection. However, they don’t skimp on security, privacy, or features, either.
This VPN uses the AES-128-CBC cipher in conjunction with the SHA-256 hash function. Although some providers rock even more impressive encryption, this is still an impenetrable shield for your data.
While Hotspot Shield is located in the US, a founder of the Five Eyes alliance, this doesn’t instantly disqualify them. The service still promises no logs – after each session, your activity is purged from their servers. There won’t be any data that can be traced back to your identity.
Where Hotspot Shield shines the most, though, is their tunneling protocols. This is what helps them achieve good speeds with weaker connections. Whether you’ll be using their proprietary Hydra protocol or IKEv2, you’ll get fast and consistent speeds.
Connect to Algeria, Egypt, or Kenya to get optimal speeds and low ping. Hotspot Shield is one of the best options if you’re looking for good server coverage in Africa.
Features like split tunneling also make an appearance in their apps. So, you can customize your experience just the way you need it. Plus, all of their servers support P2P traffic, which will make torrenters happy.
Hotspot Shield even a free version. It’s quite restrictive (500 MB of data per day), but it should be enough to get a glimpse of the service. Also, be aware that depending on your subscription plan, you will be getting different suites of features.
No need to worry, though. They have a 45-day money-back guarantee. So, there’s plenty of time to test the waters and decide whether to ask for a refund or not.
- Unblocks Amazon Prime Video
- Very fast
- Split tunnelling feature
- Offers a free version
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Based in US
5. CyberGhost – one of the best VPNs for new users
|Servers/countries:||6,900+ servers in 90 countries|
|Streaming:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Youtube|
CyberGhost is a very popular VPN service with a massive fan following. With this VPN, you will be all set in terms of security, server coverage, additional features, and more. Plus their pricing doesn’t bite.
The AES-256-CBC encryption cipher will take care of your connection’s security. This algorithm is used by financial institutions and governments, so you know it’s as safe as it gets.
Your privacy is also covered, as CyberGhost has a strict no-logs policy. Even if someone contacts the VPN for your activity logs, they won’t have anything to show. Plus, their business location, Romania, is a privacy-friendly country.
There’s no need to worry about the performance either. CyberGhost has WireGuard, IKEv2, and OpenVPN tunneling protocols. There’s no shortage of options.
The same applies to country coverage. Algeria, Egypt, Kenya, and Morocco are among the countries that have CyberGhost servers. If you’re connecting from Nigeria, all of these will be fine options to get decent Internet speeds.
With their specialized servers, you will be able to download torrent files or unblock restricted media websites. So, whether you want to watch additional Netflix libraries or read the news of the world – CyberGhost has you covered.
Their apps also include web filters to hide intrusive ads. Other additions like Smart rules help you manage your VPN connection better. It will let you set up when the VPN should kick in automatically.
Finally, the price for the service strikes a good balance between benefits and value. CyberGhost is one of the most wallet-friendly VPN providers. On top of that, they have a 1-day trial for desktop users and a 7-day trial for mobile users.
- Many tunneling protocols
- Unblocks all the major streaming platforms
- Fast connection with WireGuard protocol
- 24/7 live chat
- 1-day free trial
- Not very feature-rich
How we selected and tested these VPNs for Nigeria?
Here’s what criteria we chose to pick the best VPN service for Nigeria.
- Stability. Frequent timeouts won’t improve your online experience. Considering the weak overall VPN server coverage in Africa, only a handful of services can provide a decent experience.
- Security and privacy suite. Your privacy is as secure and strong as the features behind it. The services that are lacking in this department are instantly rejected, leaving only the best-in-class services.
- Reputation. A company’s reputation is an additional guarantee that its privacy promises will be kept. If a service was never known to log user data, you can expect them to hold up their values in the future.
- Speed. Your VPN speed will depend on many factors, including your carrier’s bandwidth, distance to the server, its load. Even such factors as the server’s used physical hardware are important. We favored the VPNs that provide the best coverage and performance.
- Streaming and torrenting capabilities. Though it’s not a must, this can add up to the service’s value. Torrenting capabilities and an ability to unblock streaming media websites can add up to the service’s value. This also gives you a better value purchase.
What is going on in Nigeria?
More than 50 years ago, a civil war broke out in Nigeria. The conflict erupted between their government and a separatist state of Biafra. While both sides suffered casualties, the Igbo people in Biafra suffered the most. Recently, there has been a steady increase in authoritarian rhetoric from the government.
This recent tweet is a prime example:
Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives during the Biafra war. Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand.
This is widely regarded as a threat to Eastern Nigerians, who are yet to recover from the aftermath of the civil war. The tweet was also made only a few days after the war memorial day to those who died in the war.
After the tweet was removed, the president retaliated by blocking Twitter access to the whole country of Nigeria. Their information minister also seems to be pushing for a total clampdown on social media. This has led people to look for VPNs and other tools to ensure they can access any blocked online websites and services.
How can I bypass the content blocks in Nigeria?
Although Twitter isn’t accessible directly, you can circumvent this restriction by connecting through an intermediary server. With VPN services, you’re getting anonymity networks, letting you experience the Internet as if you were physically located in another country. The setup is very simple, as well:
- Go to your chosen VPN provider’s web page. We recommend NordVPN
- Register your account
- Download the software
- Install it on your device
- Log in and connect to a foreign server
Your connection will be treated as if you were browsing from the selected country, including a completely different IP address. The connection itself is encrypted, giving you much better privacy than using your ISP would.
Can I use a free VPN in Nigeria?
Some VPNs have free versions as a way to attract users to their premium plans. One of the most noteworthy would be ProtonVPN, Windscribe, and Hotspot Shield (which also made our best overall VPNs for Nigeria list). You will be able to connect to them and unblock Twitter.
That being said, with free VPN’s you’re also getting a limited server selection. Like Windscribe and Hotspot, some of them also have pretty strict data caps – once you exceed the cap, you’ll have to wait for it to reset.
Why was Twitter banned?
Twitter was banned after the tweet by the president of Nigeria was removed. Banning it was a part of retaliation, cutting its access to all of 200 million people living in Nigeria.
What is the best country to set your VPN to?
Usually, the best country to set your VPN to is the one that provides the most consistent connection. If you’re in Nigeria, your first bet would be neighbouring African countries. Likely, you will have a much better speed with them than connecting further away, like Japan.
Does a VPN really hide your identity?
Yes, a VPN hides your IP address, displaying a borrowed one. At the same time, your connection is encrypted, making it impossible to track what you are doing online.
Can I be arrested for tweeting in Nigeria?
No law explicitly states that there are fines or other punishments for tweeting, but the answer is not very clear-cut. Law enforcement bodies in Nigeria have a lot of power. Exercise extreme caution even if you’re using a VPN.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
Best VPNs for UK: super fast servers in UK
Best VPNs for Canada: find the perfect VPN provider with fast servers in Canada