High ping, constant lagging, DoS attacks… These are only a few things that gamers might face daily. Luckily, there’s an easy way to avoid these problems. A reliable free VPN for gaming should eliminate the issues and amplify online safety.
However, don’t get your hopes high. No-cost VPNs have limitations, such as slow connectivity, data caps, and the inability to bypass geo-restrictions. Therefore, we’ve included some premium providers. They offer free trial versions, generous 30-day money-back guarantees, and no limitations.
So, find the best free VPN for playing games and enjoy the smoothest gaming experience.
Top 5 best free VPNs for gaming
- Proton VPN – top free gaming VPN with no data limits
- Atlas VPN – versatile free VPN for gaming
- Windscribe – gaming VPN with free servers in 11 countries
- Hide.me VPN – privacy-oriented free VPN for gaming
- Hotspot Shield – secure free VPN for games
📢 LIMITED OFFER: Try NordVPN risk-free for 30 days!
Why free gaming VPNs might be dangerous
Before getting into the nitty-gritty of the best free VPNs for gaming, we should talk about the potential dangers. Getting a free service might sound like a good idea, but unfortunately, there’s always a catch with no-pay VPNs:
- Privacy violations. Totally free VPNs have to make money to maintain servers, customer support, and so on. Thus, they might take drastic measures to do that: sell your data to third parties. That, of course, raises a lot of red flags. Luckily, that shouldn’t be an issue with the best premium VPNs.
- Security breaches. Some free gaming VPNs can actually be malicious apps designed to infect your devices and take advantage of your data. That can lead to financial losses and even identity theft.
- Shoddy safety features. Even if your free VPN for gaming is not a malware-injecting machine, that doesn’t mean it will keep you secure. Most no-pay services don’t invest in reliable features that industry-leading counterparts do. So, free VPNs are filled with vulnerabilities and outdated tunneling protocols.
In a nutshell, you have to be extremely picky when choosing a free VPN for gaming. Do a bit of research before downloading and using a no-pay service.
The best free gaming VPNs – our detailed list
There are plenty of excellent gaming VPNs, but getting a reliable free one might take some work. So, to make your life a bit easier, we did all the hard work for you.
Below, you’ll find the ultimate free gaming VPNs. We tested and ranked them according to their speeds, server fleets, data allowances, safety features, and overall performance.
1. Proton VPN – security-first free VPN for gaming
|Free data cap:||None|
|Simultaneous connections:||1 device|
|Works with:||Apex Legends, Roblox, and more.|
|Current deal:||🔥Get up to 50% OFF Proton VPN!🔥|
If you’re looking for a completely free gaming VPN, choose Proton VPN. One of the best things about this service is that it has no data caps. Plus, it’s super safe, so DoS attacks will be a thing of the past.
Safety: no wonder why it’s considered to be one of the most secure VPNs. Proton VPN is an open-source virtual private network with must-have features, such as a kill switch, AES-256 encryption, and DNS & IP leak protection. Not to mention, it’s based inconfidentiality-respecting Switzerland and has a strict zero-logs policy.
Performance: with the freemium, you’ll get to choose from 140+ servers in 3 countries – the US, Netherlands, and Japan. Furthermore, another great thing about the free Proton VPN is the WireGuard tunneling protocol. However, the speeds will be slightly slower compared to the premium. We've tested Proton VPN free version with Valorant and the pings never exceeded 62 ms.
Free version limitations: there are a few downsides to freemium Proton VPN like you can’t torrent or stream geo-blocked content with freemium. Moreover, you’ll only get 1 simultaneous connection. Not to mention the servers might be overcrowded and slow.
Luckily, you can change that with the premium version for $4.99/month (with a Proton VPN coupon). That way, you’ll get 1800+ servers in 66 countries and amazing speeds globally thanks to VPN Accelerator. Plus, you won’t miss out on features like Netshield, Secure Core, and Stealth feature. Not to mention, you’ll be able to stream and torrent trouble-free.
Get to know the service better from our Proton VPN review.
- No data caps
- WireGuard for stable speeds
- Great security features
- Strict no-logs policy
- Only 1 simultaneous connection for free users
- Free version not fit for streaming or torrenting
2. Atlas VPN – beginner-friendly free VPN for gaming
|Free data cap:||5 GB per month|
|Simultaneous connections:||No limit|
|Works with:||Valorant, Mobile Legends, and more.|
|Current deal:||🔥Get Atlas VPN, now 81% OFF!🔥|
Atlas VPN reigns as the overall best free virtual private network and a reliable no-pay gaming VPN. It’s super easy to use, has apps for all major OS, and allows P2P file sharing on all costless servers.
Safety: Atlas VPN ensures your privacy with a strict zero-logs policy. Moreover, like other industry-leading VPNs, this provider utilizes the AES-256 encryption. So, snoopers and cyberthieves will have trouble getting through to your data. Not to mention, a solid kill switch will prevent unexpected disasters. And getting DoS’ed will be virtually impossible.
Performance: Atlas should be a top choice for gamers in the US and Europe, as it has free servers in Los Angeles, New York, and the Netherlands. Additionally, the provider gives the WireGuard tunneling protocol to its free users. And thankfully, you can use the service on an unlimited amount of devices simultaneously. Additionally, we checked how it worked with Valorant, and Atlas VPN freemium offered consistently low pings – roughly in the range of 66 - 90 ms.
Free version limitations: one of the most frustrating things about the freemium plan is that it only gives you a 5 GB/month data cap. Furthermore, bypassing geo-blocks and streaming might be tricky. Plus, in most cases, the servers will be overcrowded and slow.
But if you wish to remove limitations, snatch an Atlas VPN coupon and scoop a subscription for $2.05/month. That will give you endless streaming and torrenting possibilities, outstanding speeds, and additional security features. Not to mention, you’ll be able to hop through 750+ servers in 38 countries.
Find out more about the features in Atlas VPN review.
- WireGuard for faster speeds
- Free version allows torrenting
- No-logs policy
- Extremely cheap premium version
- 5GB/month of data with free version
- Freemium not fit for streaming
3. Windscribe – free gaming VPN with good coverage
|Free data cap:||2 GB (no email) or 10 GB (with email) per month|
|Works with:||Warzone, Minecraft, and more.|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 55% OFF with a 1-year plan!🔥|
Windscribe is yet another great free gaming VPN choice. The provider offers a generous 10 GB/month of data if you provide your email address. Plus, it's one of a few no-pay VPNs that can bypass geo-blocks on Netflix and other platforms.
Safety: as any other reliable provider, Windscribe freemium offers AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and DNS & IP leak protection. While it's a Canada-based service, it guarantees that no logs will be collected. Furthermore, unlike other providers, Windscribe offers ad block for extra security.
Performance: this VPN utilizes the trusty WireGuard tunneling protocol which ensure stable connectivity. So, high ping and lagging shouldn't be too much of an issue. Additionally, the provider gives 11 free countries to choose from. These include Germany, US, Canada, France, Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Switzerland, UK, Turkey, and Hong Kong. Plus, we tested the service with Roblox and the pings were around 90 - 130 ms.
Free version limitations: data allowance limitations are not the only disappointing thing about Windscribe. Free users will also face slower-than-usual speeds. Moreover, there will be a smaller number of servers and locations to choose from. Not to mention, you won't get some of the nifty features.
Nevertheless, none of these things will be a problem if you grab a Windscribe discount coupon and get a plan for as little as $5.75/month. Moreover, you'll get to choose from 480+ servers in 63 countries. Plus, you'll get additional features like Double Hop, Stealth VPN, and SOCKS5 proxy for smoother torrenting.
Find out more about the features in Windscribe review.
- 11 free server locations
- Unblocks Netflix
- AES-256 encryption
- Ad blocker
- 2 GB data cap if you don’t sign up with an email
- Below-average connection speeds
4. Hide.me VPN – privacy-friendly free gaming VPN
|Free data cap:||10 GB per month|
|Simultaneous connections:||1 device|
|Works with:||Apex Legends, Roblox, and more.|
|Current deal:||🔥Get Hide Me VPN 70% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
For privacy-seeking gamers, Hide.me is truly an excellent free gaming VPN option. It's one of the top no-logs virtual private networks, according to DefenceCode. Apart from that, this freemium service offers 10 GB of free data a month, which makes it a pretty decent free gaming VPN.
Safety: the strict zero-logs policy ensures that you stay confidential online. Moreover, your data will be encrypted with industry-standard AES-256 encryption. Not to mention, there's a kill switch and IP & DNS leak protection if something goes awry.
Performance: free users get to choose from OpenVPN and IKEv2 tunneling protocols. In addition, you'll find free servers in Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, and the US. It is convenient that you can see the ping together with every location, which truly helps you pick the fastest server. We tested Hide.me VPN with Roblox and the ping was around 100 ms.
Free version limitations: sadly, one of the biggest drawbacks is that Hide.me VPN free version doesn't give the WireGuard tunneling protocol. That means slower and less stable speeds. Not to mention, 10 GB/month of data is not ideal if you want to game a lot. Plus, bypassing geo-blocks on various streaming platforms is impossible.
Luckily, you can avoid these limitations with the premium version of Hide.me VPN. It offers the WireGuard tunneling protocol for better speeds and 2000+ servers in 2000+ countries. Furthermore, you'll get dynamic port forwarding, SOCKS5 proxy, and MultiHop feature. And you can get it all for $3.00/month, protected by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our Hide.me VPN review for more information.
- 8 free countries to choose from
- 10 GB per month of data
- Good for torrenting
- Feature-rich free subscription
- Free version doesn't unblock Netflix
- No WireGuard for free users
5. Hotspot Shield – free VPN for gaming with security essentials
|Free data cap:||500 MB per day|
|Simultaneous connections:||1 device|
|Works with:||Minecraft, Warzone, and more.|
|Current deal:||🔥Save up to 40% OFF Hotspot Shield!🔥|
Hotspot Shield is a trustworthy free gaming VPN. The no-pay version lets you secure a single device. Plus, you can use Hotspot Shield for P2P file sharing. And it will surely protect you from DoS attacks.
Safety: while Hotspot Shield is based in the US (a Five Eyes alliance member), the provider will keep your gaming and browsing adventures private. Moreover, AES-256 encryption will ensure that your data is secure. That means, you won’t face any DoS attacks. And unlike other free VPNs, Hotspot Shield offers a free ad/malware blocker.
Performance: the unique thing about Hotspot Shield is that it utilizes the proprietary Hydra tunneling protocol. However, when using the freemium, the speeds will be a tad slower. Nevertheless, it should be enough for gaming and other online activities.
Free version limitations: the saddest thing about the free version of Hotspot Shield is that it only offers servers in the US. Additionally, they will most likely be overcrowded and slow. Plus, you can forget about streaming geo-blocked content as it can’t bypass restrictions and only offers 500 MB/day of data.
But, if you want to unleash Hotspot Shield’s full potential, get a premium subscription for $7.99/month with Hotspot Shield's discount code. You’ll also get more simultaneous connections, the SmartVPN feature, and fast speeds with Hydra tunneling protocol. Lastly, the paid version will give you 3200+ pieces of hardware in 80 countries.
Find out more about the features in Hotspot Shield review.
- AES-256 encryption
- Costless version allows torrenting
- Free ad blocker
- Hydra tunneling protocol
- Only 500 MB/day of data with free version
- 1 location available with freemium
How we selected and tested these VPNs
Finding the right free gaming VPN is no easy feat. You have to be extra careful, as choosing the wrong one might do more harm than good. Therefore, to find the best free VPNs for gaming, we tested the Top 5 services according to these criteria:
- Connectivity. Your main goal is to reduce never-ending lagging and high ping. Therefore, picking a free gaming VPN with fast tunneling protocols (WireGuard, NordLynx) is essential.
- Global coverage. The more pieces of hardware and location you get, the better. That way, you’ll avoid overcrowded servers and slow speeds. Additionally, you’ll have access to more games and content globally.
- Security & privacy. AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and DNS & IP leak protection are must-have safety features. Moreover, just simply a using a VPN will help you avoid DoS attacks. Plus, your provider should have a strict zero-logs policy. And to ensure your privacy, a VPN must be based outside of Fourteen Eyes Alliance countries.
- Data allowance. If you’re a hardcore gamer planning on playing non-stop, ideally, you’ll need a VPN with no data caps. Alternatively, pick a service that offers at least 5GB/month of data.
- Compatibility. A free VPN should have user-friendly apps for all gaming devices. Additionally, you’ll need a virtual private network that you can set up on a router if you want to use it for your PlayStation, Xbox, or other consoles.
- Free trial period. Most no-pay VPNs have loads of limitations that will ruin your gaming experience. Therefore, try a free trial VPN. That way, you can game without constraints for over a month.
Comparison of best Free VPNs for gaming
Now that you’ve read everything there is to know about the best free VPNs for gaming, it’s time to compare them. We hope this will help you decide which free gaming VPN best fits your needs.
|Proton VPN||Atlas VPN||Windscribe||Hide.me VPN||Hotspot Shield|
|Data allowance||Unlimited||5 GB/month||10 GB/month||10 GB/month||500 MB/day|
|Coverage||3 countries||2 countries||11 countries||4 countries||1 country|
|Simultaneous connections||1 device||Unlimited||Unlimited||1 device||1 device|
|Router compatibility||Yes (paid-only)||No||Yes (paid-only)||Yes (paid-only)||Yes (paid-only)|
|Minimal premium price||$4.99/month||$2.05/month||$5.75/month||$3.00/month||$7.99/month|
How to get a free VPN trial for gaming?
If you can’t be bothered with limitations and curbs, a better free gaming VPN alternative is a free trial VPN. For a limited time, you’ll be able to elevate your gaming experience, bypass annoying geo-curbs, and enjoy guaranteed security and privacy.
There are a few top-tier free trial VPNs for gaming. However, we will provide a step-by-step guide for getting the best one – NordVPN. You’ll need an Android device to claim the 7-day free trial, but after that, you can use it on any supported gadget. So, here’s what you have to do:
- Head to Google Play Store and Install the NordVPN app.
- Create a new account and select a plan with a 7-day free trial.
- Choose the payment method.
- Download the app on any device you want and log in to your account.
- Don’t forget to cancel the subscription before the 7-day free trial or the 30-day money-back guarantee ends.
The limitation of free gaming VPNs
Free VPNs for gamers only sound good on paper. Sadly, most of them will restrict you in numerous ways:
- Bandwidth limitations. Most games use somewhere between 40MB to 300MB of data per hour. And with most free VPNs giving ridiculous data caps, you won’t be able to play much throughout the day.
- Limited number of servers. If you opt for a free VPN for gaming, you’ll only get a few servers to choose from. That means server congestion and abysmal connectivity. Plus, avoiding lag and high ping is unlikely. However, that shouldn’t be the case with premium VPNs. You can see how they perform in our speed test.
- Second-rate security. The majority of no-pay services offer outdated security features, making you vulnerable to cyberattacks. Additionally, avoiding DoS attacks might be tricky as well.
- Compatibility. If you want to game on a console, you’ll need to set up a VPN on your router. Sadly, most free gaming VPNs are not fit for that. Furthermore, you’ll only get 1 or 2 simultaneous connections.
You don’t need to pay a fortune to avoid the limitations of free VPNs. Check these top-shelf cheap VPNs that are excellent for gaming.
Games you can play with a free VPN
Now that you have a reliable free VPN for gaming, it’s time to play! Heaps of multiplayer games work flawlessly with no-pay virtual private networks. For example, you might want to try out first-person shooters like PUBG or CoD Warzone.
Moreover, a no-lag VPN will improve your experience on the most popular games like Valorant, GTA V, or Fortnite. Lastly, if you’re more of an adventurer, try playing Minecraft or Roblox with a free gaming VPN.
Free VPNs to avoid for gaming
Not everything is sunshine and rainbows in the free gaming VPN world. Some providers are camping in the shadows, waiting for an opportunity to take advantage of you. For example, some free VPNs have massive leaks that put their users at risk. Therefore, you must avoid them at all costs. Here are a few notorious wrong-doers:
- Hola Free VPN. Unlike other virtual private networks, Hola uses a P2P network that threatens your security and privacy. Plus, it collects all of your data and doesn’t provide encryption.
- Hoxx VPN. Basically, it collects all of your data and information, which absolutely violates your privacy.
- iNinja VPN. From activity logs to whereabouts, this VPN gathers all information about you. And it doesn’t do it subtly.
- SuperVPN. Nothing super about it. A recent breach revealed that this free gaming VPN collects all of your data.
If you can’t break the bank, you might want to consider a free gaming VPN. A no-pay service will reduce lagging, lower ping, and protect you against DoS and other cyberattacks. And a solid option could be Proton VPN. While a bit limited, its no-pay version offers unlimited bandwidth, 3 free locations, and top-tier safety features.
But if you want to beat all the curbs and enjoy a trouble-free gaming experience, choose a premium free trial VPN, such as NordVPN. That way, you’ll get loads of servers globally, supersonic speeds, and exceptional geo-bypassing capabilities for a limited time. Plus, next-gen security and privacy features will ensure your safety while gaming.
What is the best free VPN to use for gaming?
The best, completely free VPN for gaming is Proton VPN. It has no bandwidth limitations, military-grade encryption, and servers in the US, Japan, and the Netherlands. The free version also utilizes the WireGuard tunneling protocol, ensuring stable speeds.
Can a free VPN reduce game ping?
In theory, a free VPN can lower your ping if you join a nearby server that offers fantastic connectivity. However, most free gaming VPNs can’t provide high enough speeds. Therefore, for lower latency, you’ll need the fastest VPN, such as NordVPN.
How does a VPN affect gaming?
A reliable and fast free gaming VPN can majorly improve your gaming experience. For example, you’ll notice lower latency and fewer lags. Moreover, you won’t face DoS attacks. Lastly, a free gaming VPN can help you bypass administrator blocks at school or workplace.
Which free VPN is best for Mobile Legends?
The ultimate VPN for Mobile Legends is NordVPN. While not completely free, you can use it without paying for over a month with a free trial version and a 30-day money-back guarantee. Not to mention it’s extremely fast, private, and secure.