The Amazon Fire Stick is a small device that you can plug into any screen and turn into a smart TV. With it, you can have all your favorite shows, movies, and streaming platforms and channels in one place, accessible at any time. And if you get a VPN for your Fire Stick, you can get access to even more content from streaming libraries all over the world.
Private Internet Access is one of the best VPNs for Fire Stick. It has thousands of servers in 84 worldwide locations, as well as useful features for a more secure and private browsing experience. And even though PIA doesn’t have a native Fire Stick app, you can still easily install and use it with your Fire devices.
In this article, you’ll find a detailed and comprehensive guide on how to install Private Internet Access (PIA) on Amazon Fire Stick. There are also some tips on what to do if it isn’t working, and how to use the VPN for the best and most secure Fire Stick experience.
Install Private Internet Access (PIA) on Fire Stick: a quick guide
Why choose Private Internet Access (PIA) for Amazon Fire Stick devices?
Wondering if Private Internet Access VPN is really the best choice for Fire Stick and Fire TV? Take a look at our reasons for using this particular VPN with Amazon Fire devices:
- Private Internet Access is compatible with Amazon Fire devices. Although this VPN doesn’t have dedicated apps for Amazon Fire devices, the VPN itself is compatible with all versions of Fire TV, and the 2nd gen and above Fire Stick. Besides, installing the Private Internet Access APK file on Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick is incredibly easy. With just a little tinkering, you can enjoy full access to PIA features.
- You get access to over 30,000 servers in 84 countries worldwide. You can now change your virtual location to almost any country in the world. This means access to countless streaming libraries from various streaming services – you’ll be able to watch anything you want on your Fire TV. Besides, big server numbers result in less crowding on one server. You’ll get better connection speed, faster loading times, and better streaming quality.
- With PIA’s security features, privacy and safety online are guaranteed. Private Internet Access not only secures your internet connection and protects your data from any interested third parties, but also makes your overall online experience safer. It masks your IP address, prevents DNS leaks, and even has a functional ad blocker.
How to Install Private Internet Access (PIA) on Amazon Fire Stick: detailed guide
Since PIA doesn’t have a dedicated app for Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, the installation process requires a few more steps than it usually would. Don’t worry, though, because it is still pretty easy to do that. To install PIA on Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick, follow the steps below:
1. Turn on settings for downloading apps from unknown sources
This step is necessary to be able to download and install the PIA APK file. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings from the Main Menu on your Fire Stick device.
- Select My Fire TV.
- Select Developer Options. If you don’t see developer options, it’s probably already enabled. You can check if that’s the case by going to About and pressing select on Fire Stick TV seven times.
- In My Fire TV, go to Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Select Turn On. You can now download PIA on your Fire Stick.
Downloader is an app that lets you download APK files on your Fire Stick. Follow the steps below to get Downloader:
- From the Home screen, go to Apps and select Get More Apps.
- In the search bar, type Downloader.
- Select the Downloader app and press download.
- Select Open > Allow.
- Press OK. You now have the Downloader app on your Amazon Fire Stick.
3. Install PIA on your Fire Stick using Downloader
To install PIA on your Fire Stick, follow the steps below:
- Open Downloader.
- In the entry box on the right, type in this link: “https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/installer/download_installer_android”
- Select Go and start the downloading process.
- Approve the required permissions for the PIA VPN app. Select Install.
- Once installed, open the PIA app.
- Subscribe to the VPN here, or log in if you already have an account.
- Select OK on the notification about the security warning. Select OK again on the security warning.
- You now have installed PIA VPN on your Amazon Fire Stick.
How to use Private Internet Access (PIA) on Fire Stick
Using Private Internet Access VPN on Fire Stick is very simple. You can find all the most necessary features in the app, and connecting to a VPN server is just one button press away.
Private Internet Access features on Fire Stick
There are several features that are available on the PIA app for Amazon. A kill switch is useful for protecting your data in case a secure VPN connection suddenly drops. The feature will shut down your device’s access to the internet and prevent data leaks. An ad blocker is a useful tool for getting rid of annoying and sometimes even malicious ads, while the split tunneling feature allows you to choose which apps use the VPN connection, and which ones don’t.
How to connect to a PIA VPN server on Fire Stick
To connect to a VPN server on your Fire Stick, simply open the PIA app and choose which server you want to connect to.
Then, press the connect button, and enjoy your safe and secure VPN connection. Depending on which server you use, you can also unblock different country libraries of streaming sites such as Netflix with Private Internet Access.
How to update the PIA VPN app on Amazon Fire devices
Automatic PIA updates are only available for apps for dedicated devices, which means that you will need to update your Fire Stick PIA app manually. Luckily, it’s very easy to do that. Simply open the Downloader app and type in the same link that you used to download the PIA app. Now, instead of the “Go” button, an “Update” button will appear. Simply select it, and all the PIA updates will be installed.
Why Private Internet Access (PIA) doesn't work on my Fire Stick or Fire TV?
Sometimes, PIA doesn’t work properly with Fire Stick or Fire TV devices. There could be several known and unknown causes, but the main reason might be that PIA doesn’t have an official app for Fire OS.
Nevertheless, here are some things you can try to fix the issue of PIA not working with your Fire devices:
- Change your VPN tunneling protocol to WireGuard. Some users reported that this helps with any issues that you don’t know the cause of.
- If you’re unable to unblock streaming sites, clearing Fire Stick’s cache may help. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Install Applications, and find the PIA app. Then select Force Stop and Clear Cache buttons, and restart your PIA VPN app.
If any problems persist, try contacting PIA support, especially if you think that the issue has something to do with firmware, and not the app itself. You can reach Private Internet Access support via live chat or file a support ticket. You can also try looking at setup guides, the knowledge base, and PIA’s community forum for help.
Does PIA work on first-generation Fire Stick?
Unfortunately, PIA doesn’t work on first-generation Fire Sticks. Nevertheless, there are a few ways you can try using PIA on a 1st gen Fire Stick:
- Use a Windows PC to connect to the PIA VPN server, and then turn on the wifi hotspot. Connect your Fire Stick device to the hotspot wifi.
- If your router supports a VPN configuration, you can install PIA on your router. That way, your whole internet network will be secured with a VPN, including your Fire Stick.
Is it worth getting a free VPN on Fire Stick?
We don’t recommend using a free VPN for Fire Stick and any other Fire devices. There are several reasons for it, but the main one is that free VPNs might not have apps or APK files available for Fire Stick. Other reasons for avoiding free VPNs are:
- They tend to collect and sell your data to advertisers and other third parties in order to make a profit.
- They often have data limits, which means that you won’t be able to stream or do other things online for an unlimited amount of time.
- Their security isn’t always top-tier. Many free VPNs invest only in the most basic security features and could have IP or DNS leak issues, among other things.
Nevertheless, if you still want to try using a VPN on Fire Stick for free, we recommend getting a Private Internet Access free trial and using its 30-day money-back guarantee. Then you’ll be able to try out the VPN for free without any risks. And if you’re looking for more options, check out our list of the best free VPNs.
More VPN guides:
Does Private Internet Access (PIA) work with Fire Stick?
Yes, Private Internet Access works with Fire Stick. However, you will need to change your Fire Stick’s developer settings and install the APK file because PIA doesn’t have dedicated apps for Amazon Fire devices.
How to check if Private Internet Access (PIA) is working on Fire Stick?
To check if Private Internet Access VPN works on Fire Stick, see if any foreign streaming services or their libraries are unblocked. For example, try accessing Japanese Netflix or BBC iPlayer if you’re in the US, or Hulu and HBO Max if you’re outside the US.
How much is Private Internet Access (PIA) for Fire Stick?
You can get a Private Internet Access subscription for Fire Stick from $1.98/month for a 2-year plan. There is also an option to get the VPN for 6 months for $7.50/month, and a monthly subscription for $11.99.
Can streaming services detect if I am using Private Internet Access (PIA) on Fire Stick?
Streaming services have many ways to detect if someone is using a VPN, so there is a chance that PIA will also be detected. However, changing the server and your IP address should fix the issue if you ever get blocked on a streaming site.