If you’re a hard-core CS:GO player, then you probably experience issues with high ping or connection drops. Or perhaps you need to unblock a specific region for better matchmaking to avoid competitive servers and stay undetected by Steam.
Fortunately, you can simply clear these problems out with the help of a VPN. And the service will not only reduce your ping or unblock the game, but it will also enhance your online privacy and security.
However, the VPN market is wide and miscellaneous which makes it tough to pick the correct provider. Therefore, we’ve tested many providers and listed only the best VPNs for CS:GO for you in the article below.
Top 5 best CS:GO VPNs:
- NordVPN – best CS:GO VPN overall
- Surfshark – excellent quality and price ratio
- Atlas VPN – easy-to-use VPN for CS:GO
- IPVanish – feature-rich CS:GO VPN
- ProtonVPN – security promising CS:GO VPN
Why do I need a VPN for CS:GO?
Here are some selling points why would you need a CS:GO VPN:
- Avoid ISP speed throttling. Unfortunately, ISPs have a bad tendency to slow your network connection whenever an activity that requires a quick operation is detected. These include streaming, gaming, and all the other fun online activities. A fast VPN, such as NordVPN, will help you to get the fun back and enjoy the speedy CS:GO game.
- Reduce ping. A VPN with a large fleet of servers and locations can help you to improve your connection speed. The only thing you must do is select a closer server to your location from the list and enjoy the flawless CS:GO game.
- Enjoy CS:GO from a heavily-restricted country. As unfortunate as it is, there are several countries, such as China, Venezuela, and South Korea, that have banned video games for their citizens. Yet, for a VPN this issue is definitely solvable. Your IP address will be changed and your real location won’t interfere with the game.
- Dodge from DDoS attacks. We are surely aware that CS:GO is full of revengeful players. And, consequently, they tend to attack better players with DDoS attacks. By using a VPN, you will prevent their evil agendas.
- Avoid IP/DNS leaks. It’s no secret that many CS:GO players get banned for improper actions during a game and end up having a forced “vacation”. But, with the help of a reliable VPN, you can bypass these restrictions and get back on a game with a changed IP address without leaking your real one.
Best VPNs for CS:GO - our detailed list
While there are plenty of VPNs that can work for CS:GO, we’re not satisfied with a mediocre gaming experience. And we obviously strive for delivering you the best experience as well. Therefore, we have listed only the best CS:GO VPNs that will keep you protected, improve your network speed, and more.
1. NordVPN – top CS:GO VPN
|Servers/countries:||5500 servers in 59 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 68% OFF + 3 months FREE 🔥|
NordVPN is our top pick for CS:GO and there are plenty of reasons why. It has an extensive global server network, its speeds are the best you can get with a VPN, and so is its security.
With this VPN, you get to choose from 5500 servers in 59 countries. Meaning that it’s hardly possible to smash into jam-packed servers, and you can enjoy the game from any corner of the world.
NordVPN stands out for its light-fast speeds as it has implemented an upgraded version of the WireGuard tunneling protocol that is called NordLynx. It was built in a way so an extra layer of security wouldn’t interfere with the speed and you could have the best CS:GO experience. Putting it all together, it’s an excellent protocol for both security and speed.
With NordVPN, your online traffic will be encrypted with the market-leading AES encryption. And, as a CS:GO fan, you will be glad to learn that this VPN has a kill switch feature, split tunneling, CyberSec feature to protect you from ads and malware, and even more.
Last but not least, NordVPN offers a considerably fair price for its top-notch services. You can get NordVPN for as low as $3.09/month.
Find out more about our favorite CS:GO VPN in our NordVPN review.
- NordLynx protocol
- Advanced encryption
- Large fleet of servers and countries
- Kill switch feature
- Split tunneling
- No free version
- No router app
2. Surfshark – affordable next-gen VPN for CS:GO
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200 servers in 99 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥|
Serving you a second to best CS:GO VPN – Surfshark. A perfect solution for those who are looking for both next-gen services and delicious pricing.
First things first, Surfshark welcomes its users with prices that start at only $2.30/month and the opportunity to use one subscription on an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
And for that raising-a-smile pricing, you get 3200 servers in 99s countries. With this quantity of servers and countries, you will be able to enjoy CS:GO without buffering from anywhere in the world.
When we say that this VPN has a next-gen suite of security, we mean it. Surfshark uses AES-256 GCM encryption that’s even more secure than the standard AES 256-bit encryption. But next to security, it also offers the WireGuard tunnel to ensure its position among the fastest VPNs.
Surfshark’s suite of features is also equipped with everything you might need from a VPN to improve your CS:GO experience, and even more. Not to mention the essentialities it offers, such as a kill switch, split tunneling, an antivirus tool, Smart DNS for uninterrupted streaming, and so on.
If you wish to find out more about this state-of-art VPN, check our Surfshark review.
- Military-grade encryption
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Widely distributed servers
- Next-gen suite of features
- No free version
- No split tunneling on iOS
3. Atlas VPN – user-friendly CS:GO VPN
|Based in:||The US|
|Servers/countries:||750 servers in 37 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get Atlas VPN, now 81% OFF 🔥|
If you’re a tough nut to crack in CS:GO but less advanced in VPNs, then Atlas VPN is exactly what you need. With an easy-to-use application and strong suite of security, Atlas VPN is ranked as one of the best VPNs in the market.
This VPN offers a distinctly smaller fleet of servers – over 750 servers in 37 countries, to be exact. However, its WireGuard protocol won’t let you down regarding connection speed.
And now that you’re aware of its speeds, knowing how secure it is makes it even better! Just like every top VPN, Atlas VPN uses AES-256 encryption with ChaCha20 cipher which makes it nearly impossible to decrypt your traffic.
On top of that, with this VPN, you get a kill switch feature that protects you from DDoS attacks, split tunneling, an IP rotator for increased security and privacy, and more. Not to mention that it’s also one of the best VPNs for streaming.
Finally, just as it’s a user-friendly VPN, it’s also a wallet-friendly one, with prices starting from $2.05/month.
To learn more about this provider, read our Atlas VPN review.
- One of the cheapest VPN
- WireGuard tunnel
- Kill switch feature
- IP rotator
- Small fleet of servers and locations
- Based in the US
4. IPVanish – comprehensive VPN for CS:GO players
|Based in:||The US|
|Servers/countries:||2000 servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 69% OFF IPVanish + Antivirus 🔥|
IPVanish is a constantly improving VPN for both tech-savvy users and regular CS:GO players. With servers in various worldwide locations and an all-around suite of features, it’s a great choice for winning CS:GO tournaments.
The fact that IPVanish has 2000 servers in 50 countries makes it one of the best services for CS:GO That’s because no matter where you’re located, you’ll definitely find a server nearby and enjoy CS:GO in full speed.
IPVanish uses the high-grade AES-256 encryption and the WireGuard tunnel, making it a fantastic combo of security and speed. With this provider, you can be sure of a buffering-free experience, letting you play at full capacity.
Just as you expected, IPVanish also offers a kill switch feature, split tunneling, and extras, such as auto-connect, traffic obfuscation, and a SOCKS5 proxy. It can also unblock many popular streaming platforms and improve your browsing experience.
Having in mind all the benefits you get along with this VPN, the price doesn’t seem too harsh – starting at $3.33/month. But if you feel like it’s too pricey, then have a look at our IPVanish coupon codes.
Expand your further knowledge about this VPN from our IPVanish review.
- Geographically diverse servers
- Free SOCKS5 proxy
- Kill switch feature
- WireGuard tunnel
- Great for streaming
- Quite expensive
- Doesn’t work in China
5. ProtonVPN – decent CS:GO VPN
|Servers/countries:||1700 servers in 63 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get up to 50% OFF Proton VPN!🔥|
A VPN from the company of ProtonMail guarantees you reliable protection and speed while playing CS:GO. Moreover, ProtonVPN offers both paid and free plans.
It can happen that at the first sight you might get scared of Proton VPN’s pricing as it starts from $4.99/month, but, knowing that it also has a free plan available, can make it better.
Whether you choose a paid plan or a freemium one, you get a kill switch feature which is a rare case among free VPNs, and also DNS leak protection. Yet, those who pay also get split tunneling, a VPN accelerator for even better speeds, and many more features.
But no matter what plan you’re going for, your online activity will be encrypted with military-grade encryption because everyone deserves the strongest protection. Free users receive OpenVPN and IKEv2 protocols, while paying ones – the WireGuard tunnel.
Finally, ProtonVPN also has a pretty decent amount of servers that are widely distributed around the world (1700 servers in 63 countries). So, those who can’t play CS:GO because of the country’s restrictions receive a green light.
To get to know more about this provider, read our ProtonVPN review.
- Freemium VPN
- Kill switch feature
- Rich fleet of servers
- All-around suite of servers
- Good for streaming
- Macs lack most of the features
How we selected and tested these VPNs
VPNs are excellent at solving a bunch of issues, and every case requires different characteristics. Here are the key points that we paid attention to while selecting top VPNs for CS:GO:
- Large fleet of servers. The bigger the number of servers, the higher the chance of having an uninterrupted gaming experience. That being said, it helps you to avoid overcrowded servers and reduce ping.
- Speed. The selection of servers isn’t the only thing responsible for good connection speed. Therefore, we were looking for VPNs that offer the best speeds to maintain a smooth CS:GO battle and participate in quality streaming or torrenting.
- Security. Whether you are gaming or casually browsing, staying protected online should be one of your top priorities. With the most secure VPN services, you can avoid breached data and more.
- Price. There’s no VPN that you should overpay for. And, more importantly, security should be affordable for everyone. That’s why we have looked only for those VPN services that offer the best money and quality ratio.
How to change CS:GO region with a VPN?
Here’s a short guide on how to change CS:GO region with the help of a VPN:
- Choose a reliable VPN provider. We believe that NordVPN is the best option.
- Download and install the VPN app on your computer.
- Open the application and, on the map, choose your preferred country.
- Wait a moment till you receive a notification of a successful connection.
- Relaunch Steam and open the game.
- Start playing and enjoy!
CS:GO not working with a VPN? Here's how to fix:
It may happen that a VPN struggles to cooperate with CS:GO. Nevertheless, it’s easily fixable. Here’s how:
- Change your VPN server. It’s possible that your chosen server has crashed and only your VPN provider knows why. Try changing a server and it might fix the issue.
- Check for IP leaks. IP leaks are almost the same as staying without a VPN connection. Check your VPN’s IP/DNS leak protection settings.
- Contact your VPN’s customer support. Perhaps the issue stands somewhere inside your VPN’s system, therefore contacting the customer support could clear things out.
- Choose a different VPN provider. Some VPNs are simply not suitable for changing the region on CS:GO. In this case, take a look at our provided CS:GO VPNs and select the most liked one.
Can a VPN reduce my ping in CS:GO?
Yes, a VPN can reduce ping in CS:GO if you connect to a correct tunneling protocol. Selecting the WireGuard tunneling protocol would be the best option as it offers breakneck speeds. Also, a VPN selects a more direct route than your ISP.
Moreover, ping could be reduced in cases when a player is too far from the game’s server. Choosing a closer server and location will change your IP address which will make it look like you are closer to the CS:GO server.
However, keep in mind that choosing locations like Japan or Australia (if you’re based in the US) won’t reduce ping as these countries are quite too far.
Can I use a free VPN to play CS:GO?
Yes, you can use a free VPN to play CS:GO. Yet, we highly recommend not doing it.
First and foremost, free VPNs are unable to offer you the same quality as a premium VPN could. With free VPNs, you receive a very limited fleet of servers and locations, so it’s easy to come across overcrowded servers. Suites of security are also poor. And, finally, they offer quite sad connection speeds.
And if that’s not enough, free VPNs tend to earn money by selling their users’ data. To maintain some kind of income, free providers allow third parties to interfere with your privacy and security. So, basically, you tend to put yourself in danger rather than in safe haven.
However, we do understand your eagerness to use reliable VPNs at no cost. At this point, we could recommend using a freemium VPN. Of course, there’re also some cut-offs, such as a data cap and a small variety of servers. But, after all, a freemium VPN such as Atlas VPN or other best free VPNs are secure tools to trust.
Using a VPN not only for security but also for CS:GO is a common thing to do. And it’s not surprising as a VPN can reduce your ping, protect you from DDoS attacks or other online threats, and unblock CS:GO in heavily-restricted countries.
Try NordVPN for improving your daily browsing experience. With it, you can avoid dark web dangers, ISP speed throttling, and access all major streaming sites! And if you feel like you’re lacking options, then there’s always our best VPNs for gaming list waiting for you.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
What's the best VPN for CS:GO?
NordVPN is the best VPN for CS:GO. It offers a wide range of servers and locations, you can choose from several tunneling protocols that include the WireGuard tunnel, and it has a top-notch suite of security features.
Does NordVPN work with CS:GO?
Yes, NordVPN does work with CS:GO. In fact, it’s our top pick for gaming and streaming overall. With it, you barely have to worry about facing slow speeds, getting your IP leaked, or getting attacked by DDoS.
Can I get banned for using a VPN on CS:GO?
No, you won’t get banned for using a VPN on CS:GO. On the other hand, buying games on Steam while being connected to a VPN might bring you some troubles.