Amazon Fire TV Stick is a device that upgrades your TV from a traditional to a smart one. This means that instead of watching the usual cable TV channels, you also get to stream content from Netflix, Max, BBC iPlayer, and loads of other streaming services.
A reliable VPN can only enhance your streaming experience on the Fire TV Stick. For starters, it can help you unlock international content and bypass geo-restrictions. Once you connect to a server in a specific country, you’ll be able to access the content of that country on any streaming platform.
But not every VPN is good for streaming on this gadget. To help you make an informed choice, we research and tested the best VPNs for Fire TV Stick based on compatibility with Fire devices, security, performance, and more.
Best VPNs for Fire TV stick: shortlist
- NordVPN – overall best VPN for Firestick in 2023
- Surfshark – cheapest premium Firestick VPN with unlimited connections
- Atlas VPN – fast Amazon Fire TV VPN that’s user-friendly
- ExpressVPN – Fire TV Stick VPN to unblock all popular streaming platforms
- CyberGhost – Firestick VPN with streaming-optimized servers
- IPVanish – VPN for Firestick app with robust security features
- PureVPN – Fire TV VPN with a large server fleet
How to choose the best Firestick VPN
It might be challenging to find which VPN is the most suitable for your Amazon Firestick. There are many features to consider – you must ensure that you get a high-quality VPN with great speed results for lag-free streaming, bypasses geo-restrictions, has robust security to prevent data leaks or other online threats, and more. For this reason, we provide a short list of essential criteria for choosing the best Fire TV VPN:
|Device support:||Dedicated Firestick app|
|Fast and secure tunneling protocol for streaming:||WireGuard|
|Streaming features:||Smart DNS, streaming optimized servers|
- Dedicated Firestick app. You should look for VPNs that offer a dedicated Firestick app. For example, NordVPN and Surfshark offer dedicated Firestick apps and support different Fire TV devices, such as 2nd and 3rd generation or 4K devices. Otherwise, you’ll need to do a workaround to install a VPN on Amazon Fire Stick, like setting up a VPN for your router and then connecting your smart TV with a Firestick to the Wi-Fi connection.
- Fast speeds. The best VPNs for Fire TV Stick devices should provide excellent speeds and support innovative tunneling protocols, like WireGuard. This way, you can enjoy seamless streaming without any buffering.
- Large server fleet. If you want to enjoy not only local but also global content, make sure that your Firestick VPN provides a large selection of servers in different countries.
- Unblocking capabilities. With a premium VPN for Firestick, you can unblock major streaming sites, like Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and others. So make sure that your chosen product is capable of circumventing geo-restrictions.
Best VPNs for Amazon Firestick – overview
We've overviewed 32 VPNs with good apps for Amazon Fire devices, like Amazon Fire TV stick, Firestick, Fire Cube, and more. We researched and tested their dedicated Fire TV Stick ads, geo-restriction bypassing capabilities, speeds for streaming, and more. Here are the top VPNs for Amazon Fire TV Stick according to our evaluations.
1. NordVPN – best VPN for Amazon Firestick
|Unblocks:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|Servers/countries:||5,800+ servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get NordVPN with 68% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
NordVPN is the best VPN for Firestick devices. Its dedicated app is directly available on the Amazon Appstore, and since it offers some of the industry's best speeds, you can easily stream in HD or 4K. Plus, the VPN is exceptional at bypassing geo-restrictions on various streaming sites.
Streaming. NordVPN is one of the best streaming VPNs. We tested its capabilities with streaming on Firestick, and NordVPN works great on Netflix (on 16 libraries, including the US), YouTube, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Max, among others. In addition, this VPN uses the Smart DNS feature, letting you stream even on devices that don’t support VPNs.
Security and privacy. NordVPN ensures your data is protected with the powerful AES-256 encryption. In addition, we read its audited no-logs policy and found that it truly retains zero information about you. Even the data it keeps for improving its services – you can opt out of it.
Speed. For a seamless streaming experience, NordVPN uses one of the fastest NordLynx tunneling protocols, which retains 90% of the original speed. We tested the provider capabilities with the furthest locations, and even when connected to Japan servers to try the Netflix Japan library, the performance didn’t drop below 70% of the original speed.
Compatibility. There’s a dedicated Fire TV app, and it’s rather easy to set up and manage. This app works with 2nd & 3rd generation, 4K, and 4K Max Fire Stick TV devices.
Installing NordVPN on Firestick is simple and only costs $3.19/month for 6 simultaneous connections. With a single subscription, you can stream movies on Fire Stick with your family and friends. Also, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the services.
Find out more about this provider in our full NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – top Firestick VPN for a budget-friendly price
|Unblocks:||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE🔥|
Surfshark is another excellent Firestick VPN that offers next-gen protection and for multiple devices. With excellent performance results, features like Smart DNS to optimize the streaming experience, and an IP rotator as well as MultiHop to change your IP address, this is an excellent streaming VPN for Fire TV devices.
Streaming. We’ve performed multiple tests with Firestick and had no trouble unblocking Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more. In addition, there’s a Smart DNS feature for secure and speedy streaming.
Security and privacy. Surfshark takes care of your data with the AES-256 encryption. Plus, it also works on RAM-only servers. So, none of your personal data is logged anywhere.
Speed. This VPN offers exceptional speeds with the next-gen WireGuard tunneling protocol. This ensures stable connections and a lag-free streaming experience, since, with the VPN enabled, we retained close to 86% of the original speeds.
Compatibility. Surfshark’s Fire TV Stick app is user-friendly, and you can quickly download and install it directly on the streaming device. It is compatible with the 2nd and 3rd generation, as well as 4K Fire TV devices.
Last but not least, Surfshark prices start from just $2.30/month and include a 30-day money-back guarantee. This makes Surfshark the cheapest VPN for Firestick and streaming overall.
3. Atlas VPN – fast and user-friendly Amazon Fire TV VPN
|Unblocks:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Servers/countries:||1,000+ servers in 42 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get Atlas VPN, now 85% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
Atlas VPN is a Fire TV Stick VPN that ensures great performance and offers a dedicated app for these devices. It also allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices, ensuring you can share this VPN with your family or friends.
Streaming. We put Atlas VPN to a test to see what streaming services it unblocks. It managed to bypass restrictions on multiple Netflix libraries, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Max. It has over 1,000 servers in 42 countries, which is not the most extensive server network. So if you need a VPN with more locations, NordVPN and its 60 locations is just what you’re looking for.
Speed. We also tested the speed capabilities of Atlas VPN with its WireGuard protocol. It turned out that the provider can retain 80% of initial connection speeds on average – more than enough for buffering-free streaming.
Compatibility. Just like other providers on this list, Atlas VPN provides you with dedicated apps for Fire TV and FireStick. However, this doesn’t include the 1st and 2nd generations Fire TV gadgets. You can find helpful guides on how to set Atlas VPN up on their website.
Atlas VPN prices start at $1.82/month. It even has a limited free version but you won’t get to try it out on the Firestick. All annual plans come with a standard 30-day money-back guarantee.
You can find out more in our Atlas VPN review.
4. ExpressVPN – reliable VPN for Fire Stick devices to unblock various streaming services
|Unblocks:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|Servers/countries:||3,000+ servers in 94 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF the 1-year plan! 🔥|
ExpressVPN is known to be a reliable streaming VPN; therefore, it’s no surprise that it’s a great option for a Firestick VPN. With a dedicated app for Amazon Fire TV devices, a vast list of servers in 94 countries, and capabilities to unblock all popular streaming platforms – you won’t regret this VPN choice.
Streaming. We successfully bypassed geo-restrictions on all the popular streaming sites during our testing, including Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, and others. Further, this VPN will ensure great streaming quality with fast connection speeds and streaming-optimized servers.
Speed. The VPN’s proprietary Lightway tunneling protocol provides stable and reliable speed results. The furthest server from us that we tested only showed a 34% drop in speeds. And it retained 77% of initial connection speeds on average. So you’ll get to enjoy streaming without buffering or lags.
Compatibility. You can set up a dedicated ExpressVPN Fire TV Stick app. In addition, it works with 2nd & 3rd generations, 4K, and 4K Max devices.
ExpressVPN is the most expensive VPN option on this list, so you can take a look at Surfshark if you’re interested in cheaper prices and more device connections. Meanwhile, ExpressVPN’s lowest subscription price is $6.67/month and it covers up to 8 devices.
5. CyberGhost – VPN for Fire TV devices with streaming-optimized servers
|Unblocks:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+|
|Servers/countries:||9,600+ servers in 91 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% OFF + 2 months FREE 🔥|
CyberGhost differentiates from other providers thanks to its massive server fleet that comes at cheap prices. The VPN has over 9,600 servers in 91 locations and a dedicated Amazon Firestick app.
Streaming. We tested CyberGhost on various streaming platforms. It unblocked most of them without issues, having no struggles with loads of Netflix libraries, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and more.
Speed. This VPN uses the WireGuard protocol. Known as one of the fastest protocols on the market, it helps CyberGhost ensure great streaming speeds. During our tests, we experienced no huge buffering issues while watching content and retained close to 86% of the original speed.
Compatibility. If you’re opting for CyberGhost, you’re going to get a dedicated Fire TV Stick app. It’s compatible with 2nd and later-generation Firestick devices.
CyberGhost is an affordable option. Its prices start from just $2.19/month, and you get to connect 7 devices on one account. If the device count just seems too low, you can take a look at Surfshark and its unlimited connections for only $2.30/month. A 45-day money-back guarantee with all CyberGhost’s annual plans is also applicable.
You can learn more about this provider in our CyberGhost review.
6. IPVanish – secure VPN various Amazon Fire devices
|Unblocks:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, Disney+, and more|
|Servers/countries:||2,200+ servers in 52 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 75% OFF IPVanish!🔥|
Another secure and streaming-optimized VPN for Firestick is IPVanish. Not only is there a dedicated app for Fire TV devices, you’ll get unlimited simultaneous connections with all plans.
Streaming. During our examination, we found that IPVanish is capable of unblocking Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube TV, HBO Max, and more. With more than 2,200 servers in 52 countries, you’ll definitely find enough content for your entertainment.
Speed. The WireGuard protocol gives solid speeds – we experienced zero buffering, and the speed retention was between 70% and 80%. With this VPN, you can even stream your favorite shows in HD with the Fire TV Stick device.
Compatibility. IPVanish has a great dedicated Fire TV Stick app that works with 2nd and newer-generation devices and even has a kill switch. Also, you can find useful setup guides in the provider’s knowledge center.
Finally, IPVanish has a decent price. You can get a subscription for as low as $2.99/month. You can also try the service out with a 30-day money-back guarantee and claim a full refund if you change your mind.
Learn more about this VPN in our comprehensive IPVanish review.
7. PureVPN – Firestick VPN with a large server fleet in diverse locations
|Unblocks:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Servers/countries:||6,500+ servers in 78 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get PureVPN, now 83% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
PureVPN is a suitable VPN for Fire TV Stick devices as it offers a dedicated app, excellent security measures, and a vast choice of server locations. With over 6,500 servers in 78 countries, you’ll also get 10 simultaneous connections.
Streaming. We’ve tested this provider with popular streaming sites and only successfully accessed Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and YouTube. Sadly, content platforms like Max, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney+ were a challenge that PureVPN couldn’t overcome. If you’d like to access a wider range of services, then NordVPN would be a more suitable option for you.
Security and privacy. PureVPN is fast, safe, and good at bypassing geo-restrictions. What’s even better is that it employs AES-256 encryption which is used by other best VPN providers. Therefore, it’s not only efficient at accessing geo-restricted content but also assures good security.
Speed. PureVPN can bring you great speeds with the WireGuard protocol. During our test, it retained 65-70% of the original connection speed. Thus, you will be able to have endless HD and 4K streaming with your Firestick.
Applications. PureVPN has a dedicated app and supports 2nd and 3rd generation Fire TV Sticks, and of course, 4K Fire TV Stick devices.
The price of PureVPN subscriptions starts from $2.08/month and you can even get a 7-day trial for less than a dollar. Also, there’s an option to try it risk-free with an extended 31-day money-back guarantee.
Find out more about this provider in our full PureVPN review.
How we tested these Firestick VPNs
To test the VPNs on our list, we first checked if they could be added to Fire devices. For that, the tests were performed on the 2nd generation Firestick. Additionally, for speed, bypassing restriction capabilities, security features, and app management were tested on the Virtualbox VM with Windows 11 installed on Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Gen 2 device.
Here are the criteria we followed while selecting the best Firestick VPNs:
- Compatibility. To be on this list, a VPN must have an app for Amazon Firestick. While there are plenty of easy manual configuration methods, we believe that not bothering to create an app means that the provider is not taking Amazon devices seriously.
- Simultaneous connections. Make sure you get a Firestick VPN that allows enough devices per account. While 5 simultaneous connections may seem like overkill at first, VPNs can be useful on almost any of your current (and future) smart devices. The device allowance per account ranges anywhere from 3 to unlimited so consider how many you may need.
- Speed. Let's face it – most of us don't buy a Firestick to watch in standard definition. Unfortunately, all VPNs have an impact on performance. The level of this impact has a lot to do with your hardware, location, ISP throttling, and other factors, but when you can choose a generally faster service. A faster Internet connection will significantly reduce buffering times. Some services also offer a Smart DNS feature that can unblock content but won't encrypt (or divert) the traffic, making your connection way faster.
- Unblocking. Having great speeds but being restricted from global streaming libraries is a bad combo. Most good Amazon Firestick VPNs can unblock at least Netflix US and YouTube. However, the best ones add multiple Netflix libraries, BBC iPlayer, and other streaming platforms. This is often the key factor when deciding between multiple providers.
- Ease-of-use. Firestick is a remote-controlled device; therefore, it's important that the VPN app is remote-friendly as well. That requires the app to be simplistic, easy to navigate, beginner and experienced user-friendly.
- User reviews. Independent user reviews can offer many insights from daily VPN use in real life. Therefore, we checked user forums like Reddit and Quora while creating our list of VPNs to check what are the best VPNs for Firestick based on the user experience.
Other VPNs we tested for Firestick?
We tested 32 VPNs and their functionality with Firestick devices, but not all of them made the list. There were providers that were close but didn’t make the cut. Here are alternative VPNs for Firestick that you can try out:
- Private VPN is a reliable option which has robust security features and can unblock different streaming sites. However, the speeds are a bit unreliable, so it might not be the best option for a buffer-free streaming experience.
- Ivacy VPN has a simplistic and intuitive VPN app for Firestick that offers streaming-optimized servers for the best experience. Yet again, there’s no WireGuard protocol, so the speeds averaged at 30-50% during our tests.
- Proton VPN is a user-friendly VPN that is capable of unblocking various streaming services, has a dedicated Firestick app, and even offers a limited free version. That being said, it’s quite expensive, coming at $4.99/month.
How to install a VPN app on Firestick
Installing a VPN on Firestick devices is an extremely simple process. All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Open the Search bar on your Firestick home screen and find your chosen VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Select the VPN app from the Apps and Games selection and click Get to download the app.
- Once installed, click Open
- Log in to your VPN account
- Then, select a location and a server
- Once it’s connected, your Firestick will get a new IP that corresponds to your chosen country
If your VPN doesn’t have a Firestick app, use this workaround
While the majority of premium VPNs have dedicated Firestick apps, there are still a few that don’t. Luckily, there’s a simple workaround – you can either use the Downloader to get a VPN or install it on your router.
Use Downloader to install a VPN:
- In the Search bar, type in Downloader
- Find the Downloader app, then install and launch it
- Type in the URL of your VPN's .apk file. Our top choice is NordVPN – now 68% OFF
- Once it downloads, install it
Install a VPN on a router:
- Find out if your router supports VPN connections
- If it does, we recommend using NordVPN
- If your router does not support a VPN connection, then you would need to install custom firmware
- The full setup depends on the router you have and on the VPN provider you choose
What to do if VPN is not working on Firestick
The best way to fix the issue of your VPN not working on Firestick is first to check if your VPN is compatible with Fire devices and, if it is, then reload the app. Otherwise, if that doesn’t work, check for these possible solutions
- Check if you’re using a Firestick device that supports VPNs
- Ensure that you have the latest VPN app version
- Check your internet connection
- Restart your Fire TV device
- Try a different VPN provider, like our top choice NordVPN
Additional solutions might help you fix issues with Firestick VPNs that require a bit more work than those mentioned above.
Fixing a geo-unblocking issue on Firestick
Your VPN might not work on Firestick because some streaming apps require additional work to change your location and unblock the content available.
The first solution can be changing your Fire device's DNS setting. If your VPN is set up on your router instead of downloading a native Firestick app, then the issue lies in the Fire device sending a DNS request that's outside of the VPN tunnel you’re connected to.
The solution for this is to change the DNS setting. If this feature is available, you can get a DNS address from your VPN provider and set it up on your router.
Suppose you’re trying to access Amazon Prime Video or any other content that’s available on Amazon. In that case, you’ll also need to align your Amazon account location with your VPN’s server country. This can be done through the settings on your Amazon account. To go even further, you can also change your system time zone to match one of your chosen server locations.
Fixing VPN app issues on Firestick
A commonly encountered issue with using VPN apps in Firestick is that some apps don’t work well with a Fire TV remote and instead require a mouse.
This issue can be solved by connecting a Bluetooth mouse to your smart TV and, in turn, making the VPN use much simpler.
Alternatively, you can download an additional app to your iOS or Android devices called Mouse Toggle. This way, you’ll turn your smartphone into a mouse, but for this to work on Fire TV devices, you’ll need to enable ADB Debugging in the settings.
Can you use a free VPN on Firestick?
You can use a free VPN for Amazon Firestick, but we strongly advise against it. There are plenty of unreliable free VPNs that can end up selling your data or infecting your devices with malware.
Alternatively, you can try out freemium VPNs for Firestick. These are free services of premium VPN providers that work as introductory products. So they offer basic security, servers in a limited number of locations, and can only be set up on Firestick via router.
To get the best user experience from Firestick, we suggest selecting a premium VPN with a free trial or money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN – offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 7-day free trial for mobile users. Has over 5,800 servers in 60 countries, blazing-fast speeds, and unblocks all popular streaming services.
- Surfshark – has a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee. Offers speedy connections for lag-free streaming, great security, and a vast list of servers.
Which Firestick VPN is the cheapest one?
The cheapest VPN for Firestick is Surfshark. While its starting price is $2.30/month, you can have unlimited simultaneous connections per account. Yet, protection for a wide range of devices isn’t the only thing that makes this VPN the cheapest option.
Surfshark is simply an all-in-one solution. It has one of the most advanced suites of features, which includes all the essential VPN features, such as kill switch or split tunneling, and rarely seen ones like the IP rotator that changes your IP address every other minute. You can also use its antivirus protection called Surfshark One, which has real-time protection, device scanning, and more.
After all, not only the numbers we see in pricing determine whether a VPN is cheap or not. It’s always important to check the number of features a VPN has and how advanced they are compared to the market. That being said, the most comprehensive VPNs are the ones that cost you the least in the long run.
Adding a reliable VPN to your Firestick device is the best way to expand the available streaming platforms and protect your traffic from ISP surveillance, throttling, and other online threats. In addition, a top-rated VPN will also access unlimited content libraries and bypass geo-restrictions to elevate your streaming experience.
The best Firestick VPN, based on our tests, is NordVPN. This VPN provider unblocks all popular streaming platforms, has blazing-fast speeds for HD and lag-free streaming, and offers robust security.
With NordVPN, you can be certain that your real IP address is hidden, your data is encrypted safely, and you can pick from over 5,800 servers in 60 countries. The subscription prices are budget-friendly, customer support is available 24/7, and it’s compatible with various devices.
Best VPN deals this week:
More VPN guides:
What is the best VPN to use on a Firestick?
NordVPN is the best option for Amazon Firestick devices. It's very fast, unblocks many streaming platforms, has a great NordVPN Fire TV app, and a Smart DNS feature. Moreover, the prices are really good, and a 24/7 live chat is always there to help you out.
How much does a VPN cost for Amazon Firestick?
A VPN for Amazon Fire Stick can cost anywhere from $1.82 to $6.67/month. The cheapest option is Atlas VPN ($1.82/month) and Surfshark ($2.30/month), while ExpressVPN climbs to $6.67/month.
Is it worth getting a VPN for Firestick?
Yes, getting a VPN for Firestick is worth it as it ensures complete online privacy and allows unrestricted access to international content. By choosing a VPN that works with Amazon Fire TV devices, such as NordVPN, you can easily bypass streaming content blocks. Plus, your data gets protected from trackers and other threats.
What is the fastest VPN for Amazon Firestick?
NordVPN is the fastest VPN for Firestick devices out of 32 providers that we tested. It retained an average of 90% initial connection speeds, has loads of servers in its arsenal as well as secure and speedy tunneling protocols.
Can I use a VPN on Fire TV Cube?
Yes, you can use a VPN on Fire TV Cube, just make sure it’s a compatible one. This way, you can unblock geo-restricted content and enjoy movies from all over the world. During our tests, NordVPN worked flawlessly with Fire TV Cube, accessing all popular streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, Max, and more.
Do I really need a VPN for a jailbroken Firestick?
Yes, if your Firestick is jailbroken, you should use a VPN for security reasons. Jailbroken devices are more prone to cyber threats like data leaks, malware, and more. So a VPN encrypts your data ensuring no one can leak it or misuse it for anything.
Is every VPN compatible with a Firestick?
No, not every VPN is compatible with a VPN; therefore, before you purchase your VPN subscription, you need to check if the provider is compatible with different Firestick devices. The providers we suggested are all reliable options to add to your Fire device, and the best of them, based on our tests, is NordVPN.
Do I need a VPN to use Firestick abroad?
Yes, it’s helpful to use a VPN for Firestick abroad. That’s because you can connect to a server in your home country and access content that’s unavailable for you while traveling.
Does Firestick work better with VPN?
Yes, the Firestick works better with a VPN because it lets you bypass geo-restrictions on various streaming platforms. This opens up a vast selection of international content choices.