If you’re an avid gambler, you may already know that certain online casinos might be blocked in your country or within certain states. For example, UK's Betfair betting website cannot be accessed from Canada or the US. Also, you might not have access to sports betting sites like DraftKings or Stake due to licensing issues.
Luckily, geo-blocked online betting sites can be accessed by getting a good VPN for gambling. The service will not only unblock the platforms and games that you need – it will also protect your internet traffic from outsiders.
However, finding a good VPN for betting might not be the easiest task, as some of them don’t really work. But we’re here to help – to find the most reliable service, take a look at our list of the best VPNs for sports betting and gambling in 2023:
- NordVPN – the best VPN for gambling and sports betting
- Surfshark – reliable and affordable sports betting VPN
- IPVanish – simple and secure VPN for gambling in the US
- ExpressVPN – lightning-fast gambling and sports betting VPN
- CyberGhost – geographically-diverse server fleet for gambling
How to securely access any gambling site with a VPN?
- Choose a VPN service provider. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the application. We also recommend clearing the cookies and cache.
- Pick a location where gambling is legal.
- Go to the betting site of your choice.
- Enjoy the fun!
In case your chosen location doesn’t unblock the gambling site, simply pick another country. You can switch servers as many times as you want, so you’ll definitely stumble upon a location that works for you.
What to look for in a VPN for sports betting?
Not every VPN will be suitable for gambling and betting on sports. However, it also might not be entirely clear what makes up a good betting VPN. For that reason, we put together some guidelines on what to look for in a quality VPN for accessing gambling and sports betting sites:
|Strong security features:||Kill switch, threat protection, obfuscation|
|Unblocks:||Gambling and sports betting sites, streaming platforms|
|Fast protocols:||WireGuard, NordLynx|
- Strong security – let’s be real, online gambling and sports betting can sometimes be a little risky security-wise, especially if you’re doing it on some sketchy websites. That’s why it’s extremely important to have a secure VPN that offers such features as a kill switch and threat protection, including malicious website blocking, ad-blocking, and tracking protection.
- Privacy – if you will be accessing sites that are blocked in your area, you want to be sure that this information stays private. A quality VPN with a strict no-logs policy and leak protection will ensure that your connection stays encrypted, private, and anonymous at all times.
- Unblocking capabilities – in case you are traveling, you might not be able to access certain gambling sites, since a lot of them might be banned in certain countries or states. A quality VPN for gambling should be able to unblock these betting platforms with ease and have plenty of servers in diverse locations to provide you access no matter where you are based.
- Fast protocols – VPNs tend to slow down your connection speed by default. To avoid huge decreases in speed, you should look for a fast VPN with advanced tunneling protocols.
Best VPNs for online gambling and sports betting in 2023
Below you will see our top picks as the best VPNs for gambling and sports betting online. We chose the tools according to their usefulness when trying to access gaming sites, as well as the level of protection they offer.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for gambling
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 63% OFF 🔥|
If you need an excellent VPN for gambling and sports betting, then NordVPN is the way to go. As the service offers more than 5500 servers in 60 countries, it will be able to unblock virtually any gaming site you throw at it.
During our tests, it successfully unblocked Betfair, Roobet, Stake, BetVictor, 888sport, 22bet, Bovada, and more gambling and sports betting websites. This gives you a lot of new stuff to try out. The download speeds were really fast – NordVPN ensures the gaming sites wont lag or buffer.
When it comes to security, NordVPN doesn’t compromise. It uses super strong AES-256 encryption to protect your internet traffic, and offers lots of secure tunneling protocols like the fabled NordLynx.
There’s also a no-logs policy that’s actually been audited, which means that a third party performed thorough research on whether NordVPN’s security claims are actually true.
Aside from all this, NordVPN offers 6 simultaneous connections, a 30-day money-back guarantee, and a 7-day free trial on mobile phones. Oh, and you can pay in cryptocurrency for a totally anonymous transaction.
For more details, read our NordVPN review.
- Great speeds
- Independently audited twice
- No-logs policy
- Support torrenting
- 7-day trial on mobile devices
- Anonymous payment options
- Unblocks Netflix
- Dedicated IP option
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Email required on sign-up
2. Surfshark – inexpensive solution for gambling
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥|
Whether you want to play some slots at a crypto casino like Stake or bet on your favorite sports team at a betting site like 888sport, Surfshark will have you covered. It unblocked all the real money platforms we tried, which is more than impressive.
And as it offers 3200+ servers in 100 countries, you’ll always find a fast server in a country you need. Oh, and talking about speed – Surfshark offers unmatchable performance thanks to the infamous WireGuard tunneling protocol, so you’ll experience no lagging while gambling.
What’s more, the VPN is really rich in features. For example, it offers server obfuscation, supports torrenting, and unblocks lots of different streaming websites.
But the best thing is the value you get for your money, as Surfshark offers unlimited simultaneous connections and works with the majority of operating systems. In other words, you’ll be able to play real money games on your Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or any other device.
Oh, and let’s not forget safety – the VPN uses military-grade encryption and has a trustworthy no-logs policy, meaning you won’t need to worry about your security anymore.
For more info, check out our Surfshark review.
- Great speed results
- Independently audited
- Low prices
- Anonymous payment options
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No free trial
- Expensive monthly plan
3. IPVanish – a VPN for sports betting and everything else
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 66% OFF IPVanish! 🔥|
IPVanish is yet another great VPN for gambling. It unblocked all the sports betting and casino platforms we tried, and it offers lots of servers in countries where gambling is legal, such as Canada or the UK.
However, gambling is not the only thing you’ll be able to do with this VPN – it also unblocks lots of different streaming services like Netflix, which will give you something to watch after your betting session.
In addition, IPVanish also offers lots of features. For example, it has a SOCKS5 proxy that you can use for safe torrenting. Also, you’ll be able to use split tunneling and traffic obfuscation.
In addition, all the subscriptions of this service offer unlimited simultaneous connections, which means you’ll be able to access your online casinos and betting sites on both phone and computer.
To learn more, take a look at our IPVanish review.
- DNS leak protection
- Unblocks Netflix
- Free SOCKS5 proxy
- Fast speeds
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No Linux app
- Price increases after a year
4. ExpressVPN – gambling VPN with fast connection speeds
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3000+ servers in 94 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF the 1-year plan! 🔥|
ExpressVPN is a powerful provider that has effortlessly unblocked our visited gambling and sports betting sites. Servers in 94 countries ensure you will always find a preferred server location to access Stake or another favorite gambling page.
Moreso, gambling websites aren’t the only ones that ExpressVPN can unblock. It’s one of the best VPNs for accessing popular streaming websites as well. With it, you can enjoy various Netflix libraries, Disney+, HBO Max, and many more.
With ExpressVPN in-house Lightway tunneling protocol, there’s little to no chance of having slow connection speeds. And industry-leading encryption leaves no room for security gaps.
Without a doubt, this provider has more security features. The fully functional kill switch protects your IP at all times, obfuscated servers masks a VPN connection, and there’s also the app for routers if you’re planning to protect your whole home network.
You can pay for the service using a credit card, PayPal, Bitcoin, or other options and connect up to 5 devices simultaneously.
Get to know the service better from our ExpressVPN review.
- Fast connection speeds
- Many server locations
- Unblocks streaming platforms
- Located in a privacy-friendly country
- No free version
- iOS app is missing the kill switch
5. CyberGhost – VPN with an extensive server fleet
|Servers/countries:||9700+ servers in 91 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% OFF + 2 months FREE 🔥|
CyberGhost gambling VPN unblocked sports betting sites smoothly during our in-house tests. And it offers an outstanding server fleet. With over 9700 servers distributed across 91 countries, you will have no issues changing your IP address to the Canadian one or any other you prefer to use.
By using this VPN, you can also easily bypass streaming sites' geo-restrictions. Meaning, you can have all your leisure time planned for enjoying Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and other favorite streaming services.
For an even more splendid experience, CyberGhost offers the WireGuard tunneling protocol, which is known for maintaining great speeds without compromising your protection. Speaking of protection, your traffic is encrypted using advanced AES-256 encryption, and the kill switch feature secures your IP when a VPN connection drops.
But there are more features to use apart from the crucial ones. Specialized servers, such as for gaming or streaming, noticeably enhance the online experience. And an ad blocker feature blocks both annoying and dangerous adware.
You can connect up to 7 devices simultaneously using a single account, which is more than enough to secure all your devices. You can pay using the traditional method, PayPal, or with cryptocurrency.
Check our detailed CyberGhost review and find out more about the features.
- Specialized servers for gaming
- Unblocks Netflix
- Advanced encryption
- Independently audited
- No free version
- WireGuard connection problems on Mac
- Linux client needs improvement
6. PrivateVPN – customizable encryption options
|Servers/countries:||200+ servers in 63 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PrivateVPN, now 85% OFF! 🔥|
Even though this service doesn’t have that many servers (200+) its country selection is rather impressive – you’ll be able to choose among 63 countries in total.
That being said, the VPN allowed us to access all the sports betting and gambling sites we tried, including Roobet and Stake, as it offers countries like Canada, Germany, Italy, Japan.
Next, PrivateVPN is really… well, private. It uses AES-256 encryption, which is virtually unbreakable (even though it also allows you to pick AES-128 for better speeds). It also offers safe tunneling protocols like OpenVPN TCP. There’s also a tested kill switch that won’t let you down.
And if you’re looking for a VPN that works in China, you won’t be disappointed, as PrivateVPN offers a Stealth mode that will hide your VPN traffic as regular traffic.
When it comes to payment methods, the VPN supports credit cards, PayPal, and Bitcoin. In other words, you might even be able to use the same payment method you use at your preferred casino.
For more information, read our PrivateVPN review.
- Fast connections
- Customizable encryption
- Supports port forwarding
- Free trial
- No WireGuard
- No split tunneling
- Small server fleet
7. PureVPN – a constantly audited VPN
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||6500+ servers in 78 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PureVPN, now 87% OFF 🔥|
PureVPN is exactly what you need if you’re looking for an inexpensive but quality service, as it costs only 1.49/month. However, the low cost doesn’t stop it from unblocking gambling and sports betting platforms – the tool managed to unblock everything we tried.
However, the biggest selling point of PureVPN is its Always-On Audit. The VPN can be audited anytime without a warning, which means that it has to maintain a high level of privacy and security at all times.
When purchasing PureVPN, you’ll also get the chance of using the speedy WireGuard tunneling protocol. In addition to this, the VPN supports split tunneling and port forwarding.
You can use the tool on 10 devices simultaneously and pay for it with either a credit card, PayPal, or cryptocurrency.
If you want to know more, read our PureVPN review.
- Very affordable
- Accept crypto payments
- Independently audited
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- Some features might not work with WireGuard
- Rare connection issues
- Limited Linux app
Best VPNs for online gambling compared
|Servers||5500+ servers in 60 countries||3200+ servers in 100 countries||2000+ servers in 50 countries||3000+servers in 94 countries||9700+ servers in 91 countries||200+ servers in 63 countries||6500+ servers in 78 countries|
|Average download speed||248.7 Mbps||262.6 Mbps||215.51 Mbps||203.5 Mbps||146 Mbps||177.53 Mbps||196.79 Mbps|
|Gambling sites unblocked||Betfair, Roobet, Stake, BetVictor, 888sport, 22bet, Bovada, BetOnline, 7Bit Casino, PokerStars Sports||Betfair, Roobet, Stake, BetVictor, 888sport, 22bet, Bovada, BetOnline, 7Bit Casino||Betfair, Roobet, Stake, BetVictor, 888sport, 22bet, Bovada, BetOnline, 7Bit Casino||Betfair, Roobet, Stake, BetVictor, 888sport, 22bet, Bovada, BetOnline, 7Bit Casino, PokerStars Sports||Betfair, Roobet, Stake, BetVictor, 888sport, 22bet, Bovada, BetOnline, 7Bit Casino||Betfair, Roobet, Stake, BetVictor, 888sport, 22bet, Bovada, BetOnline, 7Bit Casino||Betfair, Roobet, Stake, BetVictor, 888sport, 22bet, Bovada, BetOnline, 7Bit Casino|
|Price (lowest price per month)||$3.49||$2.30||$3.99||$6.67||$2.19||$2.00||$1.49|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark VPN review||IPVanish review||ExpressVPN review||CyberGhost review||PrivateVPN review||PureVPN review|
How we selected and tested these gambling VPNs
Picking the best VPNs for sports betting and gambling is not the same as simply choosing the best tools on the market and calling it a day. There are a few specific things to take into consideration that make a VPN suitable for real money games. So, here are the criteria we based our decisions on:
- Country selection. This is possibly the most important aspect of a good VPN for gambling. After all, it has to unblock the platforms of your choice, and for that, it must offer countries where gambling is legal. Canada and Mexico are just a few examples.
- Speed. No matter whether you’re playing slots or betting on your favorite sports team, having a good internet speed is essential, as you don’t want your real money games to lag. Our top VPNs offer speedy protocols like WireGuard that will allow you to enjoy gambling without glitches.
- Privacy. If online gambling is not permitted in your country, then having a VPN with top-tier security is a must. That’s why we look for VPNs with an audited no-logs policy and military-grade encryption.
- Customer support. Even if you’re rather tech-savvy, there are still technical problems you might run into when using a VPN. For this reason, it’s essential for a service to offer a responsive 24/7 live chat.
- Price. Last but not least, the price of a VPN might be the deciding factor for you. Luckily, all the VPNs on this list are affordable and even offer free trials or 30-day money-back guarantees.
Why do I need a VPN for gambling?
There are a few different reasons you might need a VPN for gambling and sports betting. Here are the main ones:
- Licensing issues. Sometimes, you can access a casino but may not be able to see all the games offered. Other times, you might not be able to open the site at all even though online gambling is legal in your country. The reason behind all of this is licensing, as certain gambling licenses (like the Curaçao Gaming License) allow a betting site to operate only in certain countries or simply restrict the access of games by certain providers. A VPN can fix this issue by hiding your IP address and spoofing your location.
- Legal issues. Unfortunately, some countries have downright banned online gambling and sports betting without any exceptions, like the United Arab Emirates. So, if you want to access online gaming sites, you need a VPN. However, make sure you know the penalty in case you get caught – a bet on the NFL isn’t worth a huge fine or a prison sentence.
- Safe connection. To gamble online, you need to deposit money first. Afterwards, you need to withdraw. And it’s best to secure these actions with VPN encryption, especially if you’re betting on your phone by using public wifi.
- Speed. Believe it or not, a VPN can (sometimes) improve your internet connection speed. You see, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) might throttle your speed for one reason or another, and a VPN will simply get rid of the throttling. However, this is a rather rare case.
Is online gambling legal with a VPN?
From a purely legal standpoint, you won't break any laws if gambling in your country is legal and you're only using a VPN to access an unavailable casino or to play blocked games from certain providers (like NetEnt or Microgaming). That's because there are no official laws that would prohibit you from using a VPN to gamble online.
However, this can go against a casino’s Terms and Conditions. In the best-case scenario, if a casino catches you using a VPN, it will simply display an error message. On the other hand, if the site has a very strict T&C implementation policy, your whole account might get frozen together with all the funds in it.
Also, if gambling is illegal in your country, gaming at a betting site would still be considered illegal even when using a VPN. Before gambling with a VPN, make sure you are well acquainted with your country's stance on real money games.
Where is online gambling and betting legal?
The legality of online gambling varies from country to country. Some locations, for example, most Asian countries, completely ban online casinos and sports betting sites. Others have convoluted laws – take the USA as an example, where almost every state has different gambling regulations. And then there’s Poland with only a single functioning online casino owned by the state.
When trying to bypass online gambling restrictions, always do thorough research of what’s to be expected if you get caught, and which country to connect to with a VPN. For example, Japan doesn’t really enforce its anti-gambling laws and you’re likely to only have a fine if anything.
Countries where gambling is legal
There are a bunch of countries allow online gambling if the sites have the right licenses:
|Australia||Prohibits local gambling sites, but not foreign ones|
|Brazil||Prohibits local gambling sites, but not foreign ones|
|France||Online gambling is allowed only with local licensing|
|Germany||Gambling websites must be licensed by local regulator|
|Mexico||Prohibits local gambling sites, but not the foreign ones|
|The UK||Allows gambling only with local license|
|United States||Gambling websites must be licensed by a local regulator|
Countries where online gambling is illegal
Here are some of the countries where online gambling is totally restricted or very strictly regulated:
|United Arab Emirates||Islamic countries deem gambling a crime|
|Japan||Most forms of gambling are banned|
|Indonesia||Gambling is deemed “negative” content|
|Brunei||Islamic countries deem gambling a crime|
|Cambodia||For political reasons|
|Singapore||Most forms of gambling are banned|
|Qatar||Islamic countries deem gambling a crime|
|Poland||Country has a monopoly on gambling|
|North Korea||Is there anything not banned there?|
One thing to note – it's extremely dangerous to gamble in Islamic countries like Brunei where you can even get imprisoned, and the risk is just not worth the reward. However, some countries simply ban foreign betting sites so that all the money waged wouldn’t leave the country.
Is online sports betting legal in the US?
Generally, yes, online sports betting is legal in the US with most states now having approved some of the regulated sportsbooks. Currently, there is more than two dozens states where sports betting is legal and the list is about to grow in the coming years. What's worth mentioning is that every single state has different laws on online sports betting, in-person sports betting, and the measures are subject to each of the state as well.
A VPN can be a brilliant solution to bypass geo-blocks where online sports betting is still banned. You can simply connect to another US server and access the betting site. We recommend trying NordVPN with over 1970 US servers in 15 different locations.
Popular bookmakers and gambling sites
In case a gambling or sports betting site is blocked in your country due to licensing issues and you don’t want to use a VPN to unblock it, you can simply look for alternatives that would be available in your country. Below are some of the most popular real money gaming sites that you can try to access in your location:
|Betting site||Operated by|
However, even if a sports betting site or a casino is available in your region, you should still consider using a VPN to access it (you can even use a server that's based in your area). That’s because a VPN will encrypt your connection, letting you gamble much more safely. You can try a premium service like NordVPN or Surfshark.
Safety tips for gambling online
Before you try to access a betting site with a VPN, keep in mind that certain pages might ban your account if VPN usage is detected. In this case, your funds might get frozen and you might have a hard time getting them back.
Luckily, you can take a few actions to minimize this risk:
- Turn on the VPN service before opening the gambling website.
- Enable the kill switch so that your real IP wouldn’t get accidentally exposed.
- Try using anonymous payment methods that don’t reveal your real country.
- Withdraw your winnings often so that a large amount of money doesn’t get lost or frozen.
- Don't withdraw large amounts of money, as this usually triggers a KYC check, which can result in a frozen account if you’re faking your location.
If it so happens that your account gets frozen, try contacting the customer support of your gambling platform.
Can I use a free VPN to access gambling sites abroad?
It’s possible to use a free VPN to access the casino or sports betting site of your choice, especially if the free VPN offers servers in the country you need (even though the selection of locations is often abysmal).
Simply put, you'll get the best overall performance and service quality using a premium option. Best VPN options like NordVPN offer a wide selection of fast and discreet servers that can help you browse with full freedom. Plus, there's a 30-day money-back guarantee included, so you can easily get your payment back, no questions asked.
Meanwhile, free VPNs don’t have many servers, and the servers offered are often overused and overcrowded. This means that the gambling site might already be familiar with all the IP addresses of a free VPN, easily detecting them.
And, as quite a lot of online betting sites are against VPNs, they can freeze your winnings or even terminate your accounts for good.
Also, using a free VPN might be risky in general. A totally free service usually makes money by selling your personal data to third parties or showing you intrusive, malware-filled ads. It’s much better to invest in a freemium VPN (which are usually pretty cheap) and be 100% safe.
Getting a VPN for gambling and sports betting can be quite beneficial. A good VPN will allow you to access a wide variety of games and will protect your personal information while you’re playing for real money.
However, keep in mind that using a VPN can get your account frozen. For this reason, you should avoid free VPNs that have their IPs known by gambling sites. Instead, consider using a service with a huge server selection, like NordVPN or Surfshark.
Best VPN deals this week:
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
In which countries online gambling is legal?
There are many countries where online gambling is legal. Some of them are Canada, Lithuania, Germany, and most countries in South America.
Can Betfair detect VPN?
No. During our testing, Betfair didn’t detect NordVPN, Surfshark, PrivateVPN, PureVPN, AtlasVPN, ProtonVPN, and IPVanish. However, there’s always a risk using a VPN on betting sites.
Can I use DraftKings with a VPN?
Yes, good VPNs like NordVPN or Surfshark can unblock DraftKings, letting you bet on fantasy sports of your choice.
Can betting sites detect VPN?
Is it illegal to use a VPN for online gambling?
It's entirely legal to use a VPN for online gambling in most cases. However, it depends on the country in which you're using a VPN for sports betting and online gambling. There are some countries where using a VPN is illegal in general.