Warzone’s skill-based matchmaking (SBMM for short), which pairs you with players of the same level, can be fun and challenging. But sometimes, you want to relax and shoot some easy targets while climbing your way up the leaderboard.
However, getting bot lobbies outside of training matches and avoiding SBMM are not things that the game just allows you to do. Luckily, you can avoid restrictions by getting a VPN for Warzone. A reliable VPN can help you get bot lobbies for easy and fun gameplay. Additionally, it will also protect you from any potential DDoS and might even reduce ping.
But with so many VPNs to choose from, how can you know which one can successfully bypass COD’s SBMM? That’s where we can help. Our team selected the best VPNs for Warzone, so all you have to do is read our guide and pick one that would match your needs.
Best Warzone VPNs in 2024: shortlist
- NordVPN – the best VPN for Warzone in 2024
- Surfshark – a fast and affordable Warzone VPN
- Norton Secure VPN – an extremely secure VPN for Warzone
- ExpressVPN – a feature-rich VPN for Warzone
- CyberGhost – a Warzone VPN with gaming-optimized servers
Why should I use a VPN for Warzone?
There are many reasons why playing Warzone with a VPN is better than without. Sure, having a VPN is not compulsory, but if you want to get more out of the game, then it’s worth getting one. Here are the main reasons why you should get a Warzone VPN:
- Lower ping. If your Internet connection is being throttled by your ISP for whatever reason, it might result in a very high ping, which is not that good for playing Warzone. It results in lags and makes the game virtually unplayable. But using a VPN can help you get around the speed throttling by connecting you to a nearby location and freeing your connection from the claws of your ISP, leading to a lag-free Warzone gaming experience.
- Avoid DDoS attacks. Distributed denial-of-service attacks can occur if some tech savvy but salty player wants revenge. I won’t get into much detail on how they precisely work, but the goal is to cripple your Internet connection to the point of impossible lag. Using a Warzone VPN to hide your IP address and therefore avoid getting an overload of traffic directed to it can help you get out of the way of DDoS attacks.
- Get bot lobbies and avoid SBMM. SBMM can be good if you want to play against people that are on the same level as you, but a variety of skill is more interesting. Using a VPN to connect to different locations with different time zones helps you get noob or bot lobbies on Warzone, and thus easier kills.
How to use a VPN for Warzone
- Choose and download a VPN. We recommend NordVPN.
- Create an account and login.
- Choose the optimal server based on your location and speed.
- Open the game and get to shooting in Al Mazrah.
For more detailed instructions on how to get bot lobbies in Warzone, jump straight to this guide.
Best VPNs for Warzone – our detailed list:
At Cybernews, we tested 42 providers: their speed, performance, ability to access geo-blocked content, security, price, and general features. For this list, we selected the top 5 VPN providers that are the best for Warzone. Here are their brief reviews:
1. NordVPN – the ultimate VPN for Warzone
|6000+ servers in 61 countries
|Get NordVPN, now up to 67% OFF + gift!
NordVPN is the best VPN for Warzone 2.0, and for gaming overall. Countless other reviews and lists of VPNs for Warzone cite NordVPN as the most suitable for playing this ruthless shooter game. And it’s not without reason, too.
It is the fastest VPN on the market right now. Sure, plenty of good VPNs employ the WireGuard protocol to ensure as fast an Internet connection as possible, and NordVPN is not an exception.
However, NordVPN has made a few changes to WireGuard and creaed the Nordlynx protocol, which makes your Internet speed fly through the roof, resulting in average drops in speed no higher than 13%. This is ideal for playing such games as Warzone.
Together with excellent speeds goes an excellent selection of servers and locations worldwide. NordVPN has more than 6000 servers in 61 countries all over the world. You will always find the best Warzone location to play in.
On top of everything else, NordVPN has new-generation encryption together with a kill switch and split tunneling options to make your connection that much safer. Pair that with a great, constantly discounted price and you’ve got the best deal before your eyes.
For more details, read our review about NordVPN.
2. Surfshark – fast and reliable VPN for Warzone
|3200+ servers in 100 countries
|Get 79% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE
Here’s another near perfect VPN for Warzone. Based in the Netherlands, Surfshark has the ultimate cheap + fast combination under its belt. With prices starting just at $2.29/month, Surfshark is the perfect solution for people with a tighter budget.
As for speed, the famous WireGuard protocol does wonders. The average speed drop in most countries is mere 23%, and in Europe it is as small as just 6%. This is virtually nothing when you really think about it, especially compared to a 50% drop if using other VPN protocols.
Surfshark’s encryption game is also strong. They use the AES-256-GCM cipher, which is not far from the military-grade AES-256. Pair that with split tunneling and an excellent kill switch for securing your data in case of unsecure connection, and you’ve got a pretty good deal.
And that’s not all. Surfshark has more than 3200 servers in 100 countries. That’s a pretty wide selection of servers and locations if I do say so myself. You’ll have no trouble finding the best country for Warzone bot lobbies.
3. Norton VPN – the most secure VPN for Warzone
|1000+ servers in 29 countries
|Get up to 58% OFF Norton VPN!
Norton VPN is a high-quality VPN service, perfectly suitable for Warzone.
It has speeds that are neither very fast nor very slow – just perfect for some lag-free gameplay with Warzone 2.0. During our testing, we found that Norton VPN retains around 74% of the original baseline speed.
In terms of security, Norton VPN has all the essential features that make it a truly secure VPN. The industry-standard AES-256 encryption will ensure the utmost safety of your data while gaming, and protect you against DDoS attacks.
When it comes to servers, Norton VPN has a quite modest selection of 1000+ servers in 29 countries. Nevertheless, it is still quite a lot of choice when you need to find the best location for getting bot lobbies. No matter the time of day, you will always be able to find the best virtual place to play Warzone.
Besides all the goodness, Norton VPN also offers 5 simultaneous connections, so not only your PC but also your phone can be connected at the same time.
You can read more about Norton VPN in our review.
4. ExpressVPN – ensures a lag-free Warzone gaming
|3000+ servers in 105 countries
|Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF + 3 months FREE!
Another great VPN for Warzone bot lobbies is ExpressVPN. This British Virgin Islands-based VPN has the speed to match even the fastest players
When testing the provider, we enjoyed completely lag-free gaming and witnessed impressive speeds. This means there will be no delays when downloading huge updates, and a smooth gaming experience is guaranteed.
ExpressVPN prioritizes security and privacy as well. It comes with the AES 256-GCM cipher, a kill switch, proprietary Lightway Protocol, and an independently audited and court-proven no-logs policy. Apart from this, it uses split tunneling that allows you to choose to send only the gaming traffic through the VPN tunnel.
ExpressVPN has servers in 105 countries, meaning you won’t have any issues finding the easiest Warzone server location for getting bot lobbies and will be able to play against your friends while traveling abroad.
The only problem is that ExpressVPN is on the pricier side. However, you can find some pretty amazing deals that will spare your wallet, especially when signing up for the long-term plan.
5. CyberGhost – a gaming-oriented Warzone VPN
|11500+ servers in 100 countries
|Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% + 2 months FREE!
For those who want to find the perfect server for Warzone easily, CyberGhost is one of the recommended options. The provider comes with gaming-optimized servers, which are ideal for shooters like Warzone 2.0.
CyberGhost makes things easier by listing the recommended servers in the “For Gaming” category. To find the fastest location and improve your gaming experience, you can sort the servers based on ping and distance. The only drawback is that if there are no such servers near you, the speed drop could be huge.
To protect you from any threats while playing, CyberGhost offers AES-256 encryption, an automatic kill switch, and IP/DNS leak protection. It also has an audited no-logs policy for your peace of mind.
What’s impressive is that you get to pick from more than 11500 servers in 100 countries worldwide. That said, you can easily get bot lobbies and avoid overcrowded servers.
CyberGhost is super affordable as well. Prices start from only $2.19/month when picking the long-term plan. A 45-day money-back guarantee is included.
Read our CyberGhost review to learn more.
How we selected and tested Warzone VPNs
All VPNs might be good, but not all of them are good for this particular game, so we did some rigorous testing. We looked at how many and how diverse servers a VPN offers, as well as its speed. We tested each VPN with Warzone and Warzone 2.0 and noted increases and decreases in latency, as well as how easy it was to get bot lobbies.
- High speed. Because high speed and low ping are crucial for playing Warzone, we tested them extensively. We aimed to include mainly those VPNs that had high-speed retention and as low ping as possible to avoid lag. All the Warzone VPNs on our list have speed retention suitable for smooth gaming.
- High number of servers and locations. A high number of servers in diverse locations will lower the chances of overcrowding, which could affect the speed of your internet connection. Besides, many different locations are crucial for getting bot lobbies easier – chances of getting in a server with inexperienced players get higher. VPNs with the most and the best server locations for Warzone 2.0 are NordVPN and Surfshark.
- Top-tier security. This might not be something you think of when looking for a VPN to play Warzone with, but it’s important nonetheless. Hardened servers with reliable DNS leak prevention are crucial for avoiding DDoS and other kinds of attacks that are prevalent in the gamer community. Learn more about what makes a VPN safe: Are VPNs safe?
Good price-quality ratio. We looked at which features VPNs offer and whether they’re worth the price of subscription plans. Some VPNs have better and more quality features than others, and yet still manage to keep the price low. We put them first on our list.
What are bot lobbies and SBMM?
A bot lobby is essentially a game lobby full of players who are unskilled. They're usually people who are playing the game for the first time and don’t really know the mechanics of it yet.
These so-called bots have very low kill/death averages, which allows more skilled players to spot and kill them easily and help you gain experience. Bot lobbies are sought after by the players who want to quickly rise on the leaderboard with minimal effort.
Meanwhile, skill-based matchmaking (SBMM for short) puts players of the same, usually higher, skill level against each other. Activision (creators of Call of Duty) officially states that Warzone and Warzone 2.0 don't use SBMM to match people. However, players have noticed that they get put in a lobby with others who have similar K/D averages to them, which is how SBMM algorithms usually work. This makes the game more challenging, as the players are placed against equally strong peers.
How to get bot lobbies in Warzone
Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to get bot lobbies in Warzone with a VPN:
- Choose a VPN provider. We recommend NordVPN.
- Create an account and login.
- Do some research on where in the world it is morning/daytime, or countries where people don’t play Warzone that much - Germany or Egypt are just some of them.
- Connect to a server in the optimal location based on your research.
- Open the game and check if the location matches the one you chose on your VPN.
- Check if the ping is good. Optimal ping for gaming is considered anywhere up to 100ms.
- You’re all fired up and ready to go shoot some bots in both Warzone and Warzone 2.0!
By using this guide, you can get bot lobbies in Warzone 2 (MW2) as well.
Other ways to get easy bot lobbies in Warzone
There are some other ways on how to get easy bot lobbies in Warzone besides using a VPN, you can try these methods:
- Play early in the day. If you tune in for a game early in the day, there might be less players, which means it's not going to be overcrowded and you can get easier lobbies.
- Research the location. Another way to get easy bot lobbies in Warzone is to change your location where players aren't too skilled and to check out the locations that don't have high-skilled players.
- Disable crossplay. If you're gaming on a console, FOV might come at your disadvantage. Players that are on PCs might not enjoy competing against a console player.
- Try playing with all 4 players. This method could also get easier lobbies. Especially if you have a few players in the party with a low K/D (Kills/Deaths) average.
The best VPN locations for Warzone
The best VPN locations for Warzone and Warzone 2.0 are the ones closest to dedicated COD servers. COD currently has a total of 29 dedicated servers around the world, with the majority of them being across the US, UK, and Europe. The best locations tend to be in regions where the game is less popular, like Europe.
So, here’s how to get the best locations for bot lobbies in Warzone:
- Choose a location where it’s 5AM, or any other unreasonable time to play video games. Fewer players usually mean easier lobbies.
- Connect to a server that is not too far from you, but also not too close. The further away the server is from you, the higher the ping. However, the closest locations, while low in ping, will not necessarily get you easier lobbies. Look for that sweet middle ground.
- US servers are pretty good for Warzone. That is, if you yourself are not from the US. Our favorite VPN for the US is NordVPN, because it has servers in 15 different cities there.
- Word on the street is that Egypt and Singapore are also pretty good Warzone locations. Egypt or Middle East and European locations will be good for players in the Americas, while for those in Europe, Singapore is your best bet.
Can I use a free VPN for Warzone?
There are some free VPNs, but we can’t recommend them. Game developers tend to be really strict about players using VPNs to get past the game rules and might penalize the player or even ban them, depending on the severity of rule-breaking. Free VPNs are too unreliable to properly hide your true location or be able to bypass geo-restrictions at all.
If you are hell-bent on using a free VPN, it’s best to use ProtonVPN or AtlasVPN. However, they have very few features and might not work for Warzone. They are also quite slow due to poor speed retention and high ping. So, in this case, the best free VPN for Warzone would be a free trial of a premium VPN.
- NordVPN offers a 7-day free trial plus a 30-day money-back guarantee for a total of 37 days free use of its VPN for Warzone.
- Similarly, Surfshark offers a 30-day guarantee and a week’s trial for risk-free Warzone gaming.
Do we recommend using NoLag VPN for Warzone?
NoLag was created specifically for playing CoD: Vanguard and Warzone. They promise zero lag, low ping, and an overall flawless gaming experience. But there’s a catch.
NoLag is not a real VPN. It’s a configuration of OpenVPN protocol to cater to Warzone players’ needs. But it doesn’t encrypt your traffic, leaving your true location exposed, nor can it access other geo-restricted content, for example, on streaming platforms. Also, as it’s not a VPN, it doesn’t have a kill switch or split tunneling.
So, if you want the same effect as NoLag for the same price but with significantly more features and a genuine VPN – NordVPN would be a much better choice. Its only fault is that it wasn’t made specifically for Warzone. But with more features than NoLag and the same effect on gaming, it offers a much better value for money.
Playing CoD: Warzone without a VPN is fine and dandy if SBMM doesn't faze you. But if you would like to get into bot lobbies from time to time, playing Warzone with a VPN might be your only way.
If you want to avoid SBMM, a VPN for Warzone is truly a game changer. By changing your location with a VPN, you will be able to get easy bot lobbies and increase your kill/death average. This in turn, helps you carve your way up the leaderboards.
If you want a reliable Warzone VPN with plenty of servers to choose from and the ability to bypass even the toughest geo-restrictions, then we recommend NordVPN.
It’s a seasoned and highly-rated premium VPN that will certainly help you get the most out of the game. And with a high-speed retention rate, NordVPN truly is the best VPN for Warzone.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Which VPN is the best for Warzone?
NordVPN is by far the best VPN for Warzone. Because of its custom NordLynx protocol and new generation encryption, it is the fastest and the safest VPN on the market. To add to that, it has a very wide range of servers and locations to choose from. NordVPN will truly make your Warzone gaming experience smoother.
Can you get banned for using a VPN on Warzone?
No. There is no clause about using a VPN in the Call of Duty: Warzone Security and Enforcement policy. Therefore, it is safe to assume that using a VPN to reduce lag and improve Internet speed is allowed and won’t get you banned.
What is the best time to play Warzone?
The answer heavily depends on what your intentions are. Late evening is the best if you want to get matched with players that are on your level, as most players get to shooting after work hours. On the other hand, mornings and daytime would be the best option for you if you’re looking for some easy kills.
Does NordVPN work on Warzone?
Yes, NordVPN works perfectly on Warzone. It's been listed as the most suitable VPN for playing this ruthless shooting game. NordVPN has excellent speeds and servers locations worldwide.
Can you use a VPN to get bot lobbies in MW2?
Yes, using a VPN is one of the best ways to get easy bot lobbies in Modern Warfare II, as well as Warzone and Warzone 2. To get bot lobbies in COD, you need to connect to a VPN server in a region where there aren’t many players such as Europe.
Does using a VPN give you bot lobbies?
Yes, using a VPN can grant you access to bot lobbies. A trusty VPN, like NordVPN, helps change regions and unblock geo-restricted locations, making it easy to find and join bot lobbies on games such as Warzone.
Is VPN allowed in Warzone 2?
Yes, VPN is allowed in Warzone 2. Activision's Terms of Service do not prohibit using a VPN, so there's no reason you would be banned from using a VPN to enhance your experience with the game. Using a VPN for Warzone 2 can improve your ping and latency, help bypass SBMM, and add an extra layer of security.
Which country has the easiest Warzone lobbies?
Players consider Egypt or Singapore to be the easiest countries for Warzone lobbies. American players have the best chances in Egyptian, Middle Eastern, or European lobbies. European players should have the best luck in Singapore.