If you need an all-in-one app for entertainment, look no further than Kodi. It encompasses music, movies, TV shows, and games, so just about everything that you could want for your relaxation time. You can further customize it by adding various plug-ins, enhancing the app with additional features.
Yet, you may still run into its limits related to geo-blocking and being left out of your favorite streaming services. Then, there’s the grey area of plug-in that stream copyrighted content, which can get you in trouble.
All of these problems and risks can be solved just by adding a VPN to your Kodi setup. That way, you’ll unlock the full potential of your entertainment app. Here’s everything that you should know about the pairing between Kodi and NordVPN.
Install NordVPN on Kodi: a quick guide
- Purchase a NordVPN subscription - now 68% OFF!
- Download and install the required files, and open the application
- Select the server from your preferred country
- Launch Kodi and enjoy!
Why should I use NordVPN for Kodi streaming?
If now you’re using Kodi without a VPN, and it’s working fine, you might be wondering why you should go through all this trouble. There are a couple of solid reasons why setting up a VPN with Kodi is worth your time.
- Defeat geo-restrictions. It’s very annoying that Hulu or BBC iPlayer isn’t available in your country. In other cases, you might be a die-hard Marvel fan, but Dsiney+ isn’t yet rolled out yet. Thankfully, a quality VPN like NordVPN can bypass these nasty restrictions, so you can get access to everything that you want.
- Avoid legal trouble. Some Kodi add-ons can have copyrighted content. Yet, you may not be properly informed that what you’re watching are illegal streams. So, if a copyright holder would contact your ISP, it would easily sell you out, giving you the fine. To make sure that it doesn’t happen, your best bet is to use a VPN that encrypts your traffic and makes your activities invisible.
- Better protection against hackers. Some Kodi add-ons may include malware or try to expose vulnerabilities in your network. Using a VPN mitigates the risk that a hacker will successfully make a move on your network since your real IP will be hidden.
How to install NordVPN on Kodi
There is more than one way to set up NordVPN on Kodi. Let's have a look at the main methods here – so you can pick out your preferred option.
Method #1: How to setup NordVPN on Kodi
The basic tutorial on how to get Kodi to work with a VPN is straightforward. Here’s how it’s done.
1. Pick a quality VPN service. We recommend NordVPN.
2. Download its setup files and install them on your system
3. Log into your account and pick a VPN server to connect to
4. Launch Kodi and tune in to your favorite TV shows and movies
Method #2: How to install NordVPN add-on on Kodi
Setting up a Kodi add-on is definitely more challenging. It’s not as streamlined as just installing the app. You’ll have to tinker quite a bit, and here’s how to do it:
1. Head to Settings, then System settings, and select Add-ons
2. Toggle unknown sources switch, accept the warning
3. Go back to the home screen and click Add-ons
4. Click the package button in the top left and select install from .zip file
5. Select the NordVPN Kodi zip file that you can download from their website
6. When the installation completes, you’ll get a notification saying that the installation was completed successfully
7. You will be guided through the setup wizard, where you’ll have to enter your NordVPN credentials
8. You will also be asked whether you want VPN to connect on startup, click Yes
9. Select the country you want to connect to.
10. When the connection is established, you will be protected with a VPN.
How to use NordVPN on Raspberry Pi with Kodi
To make it work, you’ll have to have Raspberry Pi OS already installed on your device. Kodi is available for this OS, so install it like any other program. The VPN setup goes as follows:
1. Download Kodi OpenVPN add-on and transfer it to your device via USB or other means
2. Head to System, then Settings, pick Add-ons, and click to Install from the .zip file
3. Choose the file that you transferred to your Raspberry Pi
4. Wait for the file to initialize, and you’ll get the notification that NordVPN OpenVPN is enabled
5. Create a text file, in which write your email as the first line, and your password as the second one
6. Download the configuration files from here, according to what server you want to connect to
7. Open the .ovpn configuration file and edit the auth-user-pass line with the location where you stored the .txt file with your login and password
8. Move both files to your Raspberry Pi
9. Open NordVPN Kodi OpenVPN add-on and locate it to add .ovpn configuration file.
Is it safe to use Kodi with NordVPN?
Yes, using Kodi with NordVPN is safe. That way, your connection is going through an encrypted tunnel, meaning that your activities remain private and your identity remains hidden.
Why do people use a VPN for Kodi?
People use VPNs for various reasons, including defeating geo-restrictions for streaming services and avoiding copyright infringement notices from their Internet Service Providers.
What is the best VPN for Kodi?
According to our best VPNs for Kodi list, it seems that NordVPN once again ticks all the boxes and ultimately is the best VPN.