Cox is one of the leading internet service providers in the US. While it offers a variety of plans and reasonable prices, it has a fair share of problems, too. The main issues are frequent bandwidth throttling and privacy concerns. Thankfully, a VPN for Cox can solve these problems and then some.
A trustworthy VPN encrypts your data, hides your IP address, and spoofs your whereabouts. Thus, you’ll be virtually invisible online. And if Cox can’t see what you’re doing, they can’t limit you.
Plus, a VPN can open up a bunch of new content on various streaming platforms and websites. So, improve your online experience with one of the best VPNs for Cox.
Top 5 best VPNs to use with Cox
- NordVPN – best VPN for Cox internet service
- Surfshark VPN – Cox VPN with excellent global coverage
- IPVanish – Cox VPN with excellent security features
- PrivateVPN –P2P-friendly VPN for Cox internet service
- PureVPN – effective and cheap VPN for Cox
📢 LIMITED OFFER: Get NordVPN, only now 68% OFF!
What makes the best Cox VPN?
You need a top-tier Cox VPN for smooth internet adventures. Hence, we present a few key aspects of what an ideal VPN should offer:
- Ability to hide your activities. The top VPN should work like an invisibility cloak and mask whatever you do online. In turn, that should stop Cox from throttling your bandwidth (limiting your internet speeds) and following your every move.
- Geo-block bypassing skills. Cox might try to block or censor various websites. Additionally, most streaming platforms restrict content due to laws and regulations. Luckily, that won't be an issue if you pick a hardcore Cox VPN.
- Advanced security. Safety features like AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and IP & DNS leak protection are essential. However, it's even better if a VPN comes with anti-malware software and other security add-ons.
- Supersonic speeds. Excellent VPN connectivity will help you avoid endless loading screens and lagging while gaming, streaming, or torrenting. You shouldn't face slow speeds if you pick a Cox VPN with the WireGuard or NordLynx tunneling protocols.
- Excellent device compatibility. You want to protect as many smart gadgets as possible under one subscription. Therefore, seek a VPN that offers multiple connections. Moreover, check if you can set up a VPN on your router if you want to protect your home network.
The best VPNs for Cox ISP – our detailed list
You’ll need an industry-leading Cox VPN to stop ISP bandwidth throttling. To save you some time, we’ve tried dozens of services and picked the Top 5 contenders.
The VPNs below offer fantastic speeds, large server fleets, and must-have safety features. Plus, each of them provides some unique features that make them stand out.
1. NordVPN – overall the ultimate VPN for Cox
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get NordVPN with 63% OFF🔥|
NordVPN is the best VPN for Cox, as it’s the fastest provider in 2023. That’s thanks to the proprietary NordLynx tunneling protocol and a vast network of servers. Additionally, it utilizes AES-256 encryption and boasts an independently-audited zero-logs policy. That makes it a perfect choice for those who seek security and confidentiality.
Other safety features include a reliable kill switch and IP & DNS leak protection. You can also amplify your privacy and shield yourself from tracking with the Double VPN feature. Threat Protection works similarly to anti-malware software and protects you against viruses, malicious ads, and rootkits.
Furthermore, NordVPN covers 60 countries with 5500+ servers, of which 1970+ are in the US alone. So, finding a super-swift server nearby shouldn’t be an issue. Plus, you can connect to other servers and enjoy more content on streaming platforms like Netflix, Crunchyroll, HBO Max, and many others. And if torrenting interests you, you can join P2P-optimized servers for faster downloads.
Also, if you face any troubles, NordVPN’s tech wizards will help you 24/7. So, don’t hesitate: grab a NordVPN discount coupon and scoop a subscription for as little as $3.49/month. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Fastest VPN overall
- Heaps of servers in the US
- Solid security & privacy features
- 24/7 live chat support
- Excellent device compatibility
- Great for streaming
- 6 simultaneous connections
- No free version
2. Surfshark VPN – Cox VPN with no device limit
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Streaming services||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE🔥|
Another big fish is Surfshark VPN. It’s one of the finest multi-device VPNs for Cox, as it offers infinite connections. The provider has 3200+ pieces of hardware scattered across 100 countries. You’ll also find a massive part of servers in the US.
Apart from that, Surfshark utilizes all industry-standard security features like AES-256 encryption, IP & DNS leak protection, and a robust kill switch. Of course, the provider doesn’t collect any data and proves it with a strict zero-logs policy. More so, for overall security, you can snatch a Surfshark One package which includes antivirus, data leak protection, and an unbiased search tool.
Furthermore, Cox throttling will be a thing of the past. That’s because the provider implemented the WireGuard tunneling protocol and Nexus technology for swift and smooth connectivity. Therefore, you can enjoy streaming content in 4K or playing lag-free games. Moreover, the Smart DNS feature will help you access restricted content without needing to install a VPN on your smart TV.
Hence, get a plan for $2.30/month with a Surfshark VPN coupon. And you can always get your money back in 30 days if you don’t feel like using this service.
- Fantastic global coverage
- Excellent speeds
- No device limit
- Reliable privacy & security features
- Unblocks most popular streaming sites
- Optional Surfshark One package
- No split tunneling on iOS
3. IPVanish – VPN for Cox with great security
|Based in:||United States|
|Server/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 72% OFF IPVanish!🔥|
IPVanish is yet another excellent VPN choice for Cox. It offers security essentials (with some extras) and adheres to a no-logs policy that has been audited independently. A nice add-on is a critically-acclaimed VIPRE antivirus that first-time subscribers get.
Like other industry-leading VPNs, IPVanish utilizes AES-256 encryption. The Scramble feature (server obfuscation) can help you hide VPN usage if you’re in highly restricted countries. The icing on the cake – you can protect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously.
Apart from that, the service covers 50 countries with 2000+ servers. And the WireGuard tunneling protocol will guarantee top-tier speeds. So, you can stream Disney+, Hulu, or Netflix without hiccups. In addition, the SOCKS5 proxy will elevate your torrenting experience.
When it comes to price, IPVanish won’t disappoint either. The subscription costs $3.33/month, and you can use the month-long money-back guarantee if something goes awry.
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- VIPRE antivirus for first-time subscribers
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Loads if servers in the US
- Not the best option for streaming
4. PrivateVPN – inexpensive VPN for Cox
|Servers/countries:||200+ servers in 63 countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥Get PrivateVPN, now 85% OFF!🔥|
While quite modest, PrivateVPN is still one of the top Cox VPNs. It uses the revered AES-256 encryption, which is basically a standard in the virtual private network world. There’s also a reliable kill switch and DNS & IP leak protection.
Not to mention, strict zero-logs policy guarantees that you’re in safe hands. In addition, you’ll find 63+ servers peppered around 63 countries. And while PrivateVPN doesn’t utilize the WireGuard tunneling protocol, the speeds shouldn’t be too much of a letdown. In fact, we managed to enjoy things on major streaming platforms without speed drops.
There are also free dedicated IP servers, which will make accessing IP-restricted networks and services easier. Plus, port forwarding and SOCKS5 proxy should come in handy if you want to do a bit of torrenting.
You can get PrivateVPN for Cox for as little as $2.00/month. Plus, the provider offers a 7-day free trial and a month-long money-back guarantee.
- Very affordable
- Unblocks many streaming websites
- Free dedicated IP servers
- Port forwarding feature
- Lacks WireGuard
5. PureVPN – versatile Cox VPN
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||6500+ servers in 78+ countries|
|Streaming services:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Current deal:||🔥Get PureVPN, now 81% OFF + 3 months FREE!🔥|
PureVPN is a jack-of-all-trades VPN that works great with Cox. It offers user-friendly apps for all major OS and devices. Plus, you can use it on 10 gadgets simultaneously or set it up on your router.
In addition, PureVPN has a vast server fleet of 6500+ pieces of hardware in 78 countries. You’ll find 1800+ servers in the US alone. The service utilizes the WireGuard tunneling protocol to ensure fast and solid speeds. Not to mention, unblocking platforms and accessing geo-restricted content shouldn’t be a problem either.
Safety-wise, PureVPN uses AES-256 encryption, which most industry-leading VPNs use. Let’s not forget about other essentials like a kill switch and IP & DNS leak protection. Cox won’t have access to your data either, as Pure VPN has an independently-audited no-logs policy.
You can get PureVPN’s subscription for as little as $2.08/month. That makes it one of the cheapest VPNs on the market. And you don’t have to instantly commit long-term – there’s a 31-day money-back guarantee.
- Supports torrenting
- Great for streaming
- Loads of servers in the US
- Solid speeds
- Very affordable
- No free trial
How we selected and tested these VPNs
Not all VPNs can protect you from the all-seeing eyes of your ISP. Therefore, we tested dozens of services to find the Top 5 Cox VPNs. And we did it according to these criteria:
- Solid security. As the internet is full of dangers, robust encryption, a solid kill switch, and reliable IP & DNS leak protection are vital. Extra features like ad blockers will be handy as well.
- Guaranteed privacy. One of the primary purposes of a virtual private network is to prevent Cox from seeing your activities online. Therefore, picking a no-logs VPN would be a wise choice.
- Vast server fleet. The more servers you get, the better. That will help you avoid overcrowding and slow connectivity.
- Phenomenal speeds. A Cox VPN shouldn’t be as slow as an e-sloth. Therefore, choose a service that at least offers the WireGuard tunneling protocol.
- Device compatibility. If you want to protect all of your devices, you need a VPN that offers apps for all major operating systems. Moreover, you can find router-compatible VPNs to secure the whole home network.
Why do you need a VPN for Cox
While Cox is a reputable ISP, it’s not perfect. There are a few underlying problems that a trustworthy Cox VPN can easily solve:
- Prevent speed throttling. Cox will notice that you are using data-hungry apps, so they will try to limit you. However, if you hide your IP address with a VPN, they won’t be able to see your activities online. So, no throttling should be evident afterward.
- Bypass geo-restrictions. While it’s not Cox’s fault, a lot of content and platforms online are blocked in certain areas. With a VPN, you can easily hop through regions and punch through geo-blocks.
- Safeguard your security and privacy. Cox has loads of information about you and your online activities. So, they can sell it to advertisers and other third parties. Plus, the internet is full of malicious actors that want to take advantage of your information. Thankfully, with a secure VPN, you’ll be virtually invisible and untouchable online.
- Get better online deals. If you didn’t know, online retailers raise prices according to your browsing history, gender, location, and other aspects. But with a VPN, you can hide all of this info and get fair prices. So you can find cheaper flight tickets, hotels, games, and online subscriptions.
How to use VPN with Cox
Setting up a VPN for Cox is a piece of cake. Even if you’re not super computer-savvy, the installation process shouldn’t cause too many problems. So, here’s what you have to do:
- Head to the app store and scoop a top-tier Cox VPN. Our frontrunner is NordVPN, currently 63% off!
- Follow the setup process, create an account, and launch the application.
- Log in and choose a server nearby for better connectivity.
- Now that you’re anonymous and secure, venture free through the internet!
How do I know if Cox is throttling your connection?
Slow internet speed is one of the most annoying things ever. And in most cases, you can thank your ISP for that. Here are some clear signs that Cox is messing with the internet flow handle:
- Inability to connect to certain websites.
- Low speed and quality of video content.
- Errors pop up when entering sites.
- Connectivity tests show lower-than-usual speeds.
- Persisting speed problems after restarting.
Should I use a free VPN for Cox?
Even though it’s very tempting, we don’t recommend using a free VPN for Cox. For starters, no-pay services have very few servers globally, which are usually overcrowded and have connectivity issues. Moreover, data caps will restrict you if you want to stream, game, or torrent a lot. And bypassing geo-blocks and getting more content will be extremely tricky.
Apart from offering less functionality, free VPNs are notorious for collecting data and selling it to third parties. But some costless services take it even further and inject malware into your devices. That, of course, raises loads of security and privacy concerns.
But if you’re currently a few dollars short, you can always grab a premium free trial VPN. That way, for a limited time, you’ll have the opportunity to enjoy phenomenal speeds, more content, and guaranteed online safety. Here’s a pair of options that you can try:
- NordVPN – you can claim a 7-day free trial on your Android device and use it on any smart gadget afterward. Moreover, there’s a month-long money back guarantee that lets you try the service longer without any commitments.
- Surfshark VPN – get a 7-day free trial version on iOS or Android gadgets. After you register, you can use it on as many devices as you want. And if you enjoy it, you can try it for even longer, thanks to the 30-day money-back guarantee.
While Cox is one of the top internet service providers in the US, some users are fed up with bandwidth throttling and website blocks. Not to mention, the fact that they can see all online activity raises many red flags.
Luckily, a reliable VPN for Cox can lend a hand by encrypting your data and hiding your IP address. That way, your ISP won’t be able to follow you around and limit your connectivity. Plus, a virtual private network will unblock loads of new content and fend off digital calamities.
And the best VPN for Cox is, undoubtedly, NordVPN. It’s super-swift, extremely secure, and offers a heap of handy features.
More VPN guides from Cybernews
Does VPN work with Cox?
Yes, most industry-leading VPNs work perfectly with Cox. The ISP actually provides detailed guides on how to set up a virtual private network for optimal performance. And if you’re looking for the best VPN for Cox, look no further than NordVPN.
Can I add VPN to the Cox router?
No, setting up a VPN on your Cox router is impossible. That’s because most ISP routers and modems don’t support a VPN connection. Therefore, if you want to protect your home network, you’ll need to get a networking device that allows VPN configuration.
Does Cox block certain websites?
Yes, Cox might block some websites. That may be due to growing online censorship or Parental Control settings. Luckily, you can punch through the blocks with a reliable Cox VPN, like NordVPN or Surfshark VPN.
Does Cox offer a VPN with their internet service?
No, Cox doesn’t have an in-house VPN. Thus, you'll need a high-grade virtual private network if you want to be safer online and unblock more content. Your best bet is to choose an industry-leading VPN provider like NordVPN.