Best VPNs for MLB.tv to bypass blackouts
MLB.tv is the home of Major League Baseball in the US, with the rights to show every single match. Unfortunately, MLB.tv imposes blackouts of certain matches, blocking people from watching them based on their location.
Luckily, you can use a VPN to avoid blackouts and watch any match you want, no matter where you are. But not all VPNs are able to bypass MLB.tv’s geo-restrictions.
In this guide, we’ll talk you through the best VPNs to watch all the MLB matches. So read on for everything you need to know.
Best VPNs for MLB.tv
- NordVPN - Best VPN for MLB.tv
- Surfshark - Best value VPN for MLB.tv
- VyprVPN - Excellent VPN for security and streaming
- IPVanish - Best lightweight VPN for MLB.tv
- Windscribe - Great affordable VPN for streaming
How to avoid blackouts on MLB.tv with a VPN
It’s easy to avoid blackouts on MLB.tv, no matter where you are. All you need to do is follow these five simple steps:
- Sign up for a good VPN. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Connect to a server in a location where your game isn't blacked out.
- Go to MLB.tv or open up the MLB.tv app and search for your game.
- Grab a drink and enjoy!
The Best VPNs for MLB.tv - our detailed list
We’ve tested out loads of VPNs to see if they can successfully avoid blackouts on MLB.tv to put together a list of our five favorites. Read on for advice on how to choose the right VPN for you.
- Baseline testing speed: 300 Mbps download/300 Mbps upload
1. NordVPN - Best VPN for MLB.tv
|Servers/countries:||5,500+ servers in 59 countries|
|Current deal:||Get NordVPN, now 72% OFF + 3 Months FREE!|
If you’re looking for a VPN to help you avoid blackouts on MLB.tv, you’ll struggle to find a better option than NordVPN. It has more than 1,970 servers across 15 different US cities.
Even better, it uses NordLynx - its own modified version of WireGuard - to deliver incredibly fast and reliable speeds. In our testing, we found it managed an average speed of 249 Mbps.
Aside from this, NordVPN is great at bypassing geo-restrictions on all the main streaming platforms, including Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, and BBC iPlayer.
Elsewhere, NordVPN boasts more than 5,400 servers in 59 countries. And it has SmartDNS, so you can use it to watch any match you like on MLB.tv on whichever device you want, even if it doesn’t support VPN connections.
Of course, protecting your online information is another essential function of a VPN. And NordVPN is probably the most secure one we’ve tested. It has loads of excellent security features that’ll keep your data safe from cybercriminals and your government.
NordVPN users get access to 24/7 live chat customer support. And its prices are actually very reasonable, with plans starting from just $3.30 a month, with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To find out more, read our full NordVPN review.
- Wide range of US servers to avoid MLB.tv blackouts
- NordLynx provides fast speeds to minimize buffering
- Can unblock every major streaming service
- The most privacy-friendly VPN on our list
- SmartPlay (Smart DNS) is very helpful
- Wide choice of servers
- Good value
- Doesn’t support torrenting on all servers
2. Surfshark - Best value VPN for MLB.tv
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 65 countries|
|Current deal:||Get Surfshark, now 81% OFF!|
While Surfshark is one of the best VPN providers around. And with more than 500 servers in the US, spread across over 20 cities, it’s ideal for avoiding blackouts on MLB.tv.
Not to be outdone by any of the VPN market leaders, Surfshark uses the cutting-edge new tunneling protocol, WireGuard, to deliver very impressive speeds. In our testing, we found an average speed of 263 Mbps.
And if you get bored of watching baseball, you can also use Surfshark to unblock region restrictions on pretty much any streaming service you like. This includes Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video. It also offers GPS spoofing, which is quite rare. More importantly, it comes with unlimited simultaneous connections, so you can use it on as many devices as you like at the same time.
Surfshark gives you access to more than 3,200 servers in over 60 countries. And it has a lot of security features on offer to keep your data secure. Even better, it operates a strict zero-logs policy, so you know no one is tracking your activity.
You can access live chat support if you have any issues with Surfshark. And it’s fantastic value for money, with prices starting at just $2.49 a month, with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To find out more, read our in-depth Surshark VPN review.
- Very cheap plans packed with excellent features
- Can bypass MLB.tv blackouts with ease
- Superb speeds for lag-free viewing
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Unblocks content on most streaming services
- Loads of strong security features
- GPS spoofing
3. VyprVPN - Excellent VPN for security and streaming
|Servers/countries:||700 servers in 70 countries|
|Current deal:||Get up to 12 months FREE!|
If you’re looking for something even cheaper, VyprVPN might be just what you need. This is the cheapest VPN on our list, albeit it doesn’t have as many features or servers, offering just over 700 servers in more than 70 countries.
But the servers it does have work very well and deliver fast and reliable speeds. In testing, we saw average speeds of 242 Mbps using the cutting-edge WireGuard protocol.
Despite having far fewer servers than its competitors, VyprVPN still has servers in 8 cities across the US, so you can use it to get around MLB.tv blackouts and watch baseball to your heart's content. It also lets you bypass region restrictions on all the major streaming services, including BBC iPlayer, HBO Now, and Amazon Prime Video.
VyprVPN has lots of excellent security features, including military-grade AES-256 encryption and a kill switch to keep your data safe at all times. It also comes with the Chameleon 2.0 tunneling protocol, which means you can use it in countries that restrict the use of VPNs, such as China.
And best of all, it’s really cheap, with prices starting at just $1.67 a month, with a free 30-day money-back guarantee thrown in.
To find out more, read our in-depth VyprVPN review.
- Exceptional value for money
- Fast and reliable speeds
- Can avoid MLB.tv blackouts easily
- Chameleon 2.0 tunneling protocol included
- Can unblock international content easily
- Good customer service
- Not as many servers as its competitors
- No SmartDNS support
- iOS app isn’t great
4. IPVanish - Best lightweight VPN for MLB.tv
|Servers/countries:||1,600+ servers in 52 countries|
|Current deal:||Save 65% OFF the IPVanish 1-year plan!|
If you’re looking for a lightweight VPN to help you avoid MLB.tv blackouts without putting a strain on your device, IPVanish could be just what you’re looking for. Although it doesn’t have dedicated servers for streaming, you will still be able to use it to access games on MLB.tv. This is largely thanks to the fact it has servers in 20 cities across the US.
On a more positive note, IPVanish does offer fast and reliable speeds, with an average of 237.5mbps.
Elsewhere, IPVanish has 1,600 servers across 52 countries and comes with up to 10 simultaneous connections.
It offers good security features, including strong military-grade ciphers and decent protection against DNS or IP leaks. However, it’s based in the US, which isn’t a privacy-friendly country.
If you have any issues, you can contact its customer support via email or live chat. IPVanish’s pricing plans start from $2.67 a month, and you get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To find out more, read our in-depth IPVanish review.
- Can unblock MLB.tv content
- Fast speeds that are great for streaming
- Free trial for iOS users
- Decent customer support options
- Customizable kill switch
- Unlimited connections
- Can’t unblock all streaming services
- Based in the US
- Doesn’t work in China
5. Windscribe - Great affordable VPN for streaming
|Servers/countries:||480 servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||Get 55% OFF with 1-year plan!|
If you’re after a solution for unblocking specific games on MLB.tv, Windscribe is a great choice. Why? Well, you can choose to get access to a specific Windscribe server for just $1/month. It even has a free version, although it comes with a monthly data cap of 10GB, so you wouldn’t be able to use it for regular streaming.
Windscribe has servers in 26 cities across the US and can unblock many popular streaming services, including BBC iPlayer, DAZN, and Netflix.
However, Windscribe is slower than the other VPNs on our list, delivering an average speed of just 84 Mbps. Granted, this was more than enough to stream without any buffering at all.
Windscribe also has fewer servers than the other options on this list, with over 480 servers in 63 countries. Yet despite its size, Windscribe provides solid security, offering military-grade encryption, DNS leak protection, and a reliable kill switch. The only real hitch is it's based in Canada, which isn’t a privacy-friendly place.
If you get stuck, Windscribe has live chat support. And the single server plan means an awesome amount of value for quite a low price.
If you want to find out more, take a look at our in-depth Windscribe VPN review.
- Incredibly cheap
- Free version works well
- US servers in 26 cities
- Unlimited simultaneous connections on some plans
- Can unblock international content
- Much slower than the others on our list
- Based in Canada
- Not as many servers
How we tested and selected these VPNs
When putting together our list of the best VPNs to use if you want to avoid blackouts on MLB.tv, we considered the following criteria:
- Whether it works with MLB.tv streams: This might sound obvious, but many VPNs aren’t able to unblock restrictions on MLB.tv. So, we tested lots of options before choosing our top five, all of which consistently gave us access to games.
- Speed: Buffering is the last thing you want to deal with when watching baseball. Therefore, we chose VPNs that provide fast and reliable speeds for lag-free streaming to make sure you don’t miss a moment of that important match.
- Whether it has any relevant additional features: When choosing a VPN, it’s always worth considering extra features. We’ve called out a variety of extras in our list, including SmartDNS, GPS spoofing, and the Chameleon 2.0 protocol.
- Customer support: This is crucial in case anything goes wrong. Therefore, each of the options on our list comes with live chat support.
- Price: When signing up for any long-term subscription, price is always important. In our list, we were careful to include a variety of pricing options to suit every budget.
- Security and privacy: Whatever your reason for wanting a VPN, it’s vital to pick one that will protect your online privacy. We have recommended a selection of VPNs that have a wide range of excellent security options to keep your data safe from cybercriminals.
Do I really need a VPN to watch MLB.tv?
If you want to watch all the games on MLB.tv, you will need to use a VPN or a proxy. This is because MLB.tv imposes a blackout policy on some of its fixtures. Therefore, the broadcast won’t be shown in either the home or away team’s region. This is because local cable networks have the exclusive rights to show these games. It’s also to encourage local fans to buy tickets to the matches.
However, once you have set up a VPN or a proxy, all you need to do is connect to a server in a location where MLB.tv is showing the match, and you will be able to bypass these region restrictions. Your IP address will appear to be from that region, which will unblock the game for you. Then, you can simply sit back, relax, and enjoy the game.
How to use a VPN to bypass MLB.tv blackouts
Despite what you might think, it’s incredibly easy to bypass MLB.tv blackouts so you can watch whatever MLB games you like from wherever you are in the world. All you need to do is follow this simple step-by-step guide:
- Choose a VPN that has a number of servers in the US. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the software on your device, and complete the sign-up process.
- Connect to a server in an area that has access to the game.
- Head to the MLB.tv website, or download the MLB app from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store.
- Enjoy cheering on your favorite MLB team.
How to avoid MLB.tv blackouts on PC
It’s simple to avoid blackouts on MLB.tv if you’re watching on your PC. Just follow these steps:
- Sign up for a VPN service that has a good range of servers in different cities across the US.
- Download and install the app, and complete the registration process.
- Log in to your VPN account.
- Connect to a server in a city in the US that has the rights to show the game on MLB.tv.
- Go to MLB.tv on your web browser, and start watching.
How to avoid MLB.tv blackouts on Fire TV or Fire Stick
You can watch any MLB.tv fixture you like on your Amazon Fire TV or Fire Stick. All you need is a VPN. Here’s how to do it:
- Choose a VPN provider on your computer or smartphone.
- Download and install the VPN app from the Amazon Appstore.
- Connect to a server in a location where the game you’re trying to watch is available.
- Open the MLB.tv app and enjoy the game.
How to avoid MLB.tv blackouts on Kodi
- Select a VPN on your computer or smartphone.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device and finish the sign-up process.
- Download and install the VPN add-on on Kodi if there’s one available.
- If the VPN provider you’ve chosen doesn’t have its own Kodi add-on, you will need to download the OpenVPN add-on. Once you’ve done this, you’ll have to configure a manual OpenVPN connection. Your VPN provider will have step-by-step instructions explaining how to do this.
- Connect to a server in a location that’s showing the match.
- Open the MLB.tv add-on on your Kodi and start watching.
Can you get around MLB blackouts with a free VPN?
It’s very unlikely, as free VPNs almost always have a poor server infrastructure that means they will probably be detected by MLB.tv. Therefore, you won’t be able to use it to bypass any blackouts.
And even if you do manage to unblock the geo-restrictions on MLB.tv with a free VPN, you’ll probably then have to deal with a lot of buffering. This is because most free VPNs don’t provide adequate connection speeds for streaming.
Even more worryingly, free VPNs are often very unsafe, and they often make money by selling your data to third parties. Consequently, we don’t recommend using a free VPN.
Alternatively, you could use a freemium VPN service, which is a free version of a reputable, paid VPN. It’s worth bearing in mind, however, that these are usually much more limited than the paid-for options. For one thing, they generally struggle to bypass region restrictions on major streaming services. For this reason, we don’t recommend using one to watch MLB.tv.
Freemiums also tend to come with monthly data caps, which certainly isn’t great if you like to stream content. But if you do want to try one out, you could opt for Windscribe’s freemium plan, which we talked about earlier in this guide. It comes with a data cap of 10GB a month. Alternatively, you could try ProtonVPN or Atlas, neither of which imposes data caps.
If you want to watch all the baseball on MLB.tv, but you’re struggling with blackouts, all you need is a good VPN with plenty of servers across the US, and you’ll never miss a moment of the action. All you need to do is use your VPN to connect to a server in a place that has the rights to show the game, and your device will appear to have an IP address from that location. This will then unblock the content for you.
Of course, this isn’t the only reason to use a VPN. In fact, a reliable VPN comes with loads of benefits. For one thing, you can use it to watch pretty much any streaming service in the world. Hence, if you want to watch BBC iPlayer from outside the UK or Hulu from outside the US, or even if you just want to try out a foreign version of Netflix, a VPN will be able to make this possible.
But even more crucially, a VPN is a vital cybersecurity tool. It encrypts your traffic, which will keep it safe from online hackers and other third parties. It also protects your information while you’re connected to public Wi-Fi.
Did you find everything you were looking for in this article? Let us know in the comments!
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
Best VPNs for Hulu: watch your favorite Hulu shows from anywhere
Why does my MLB app say blackout restriction?
If you’re blocked from watching a particular baseball match because of blackout restrictions, it means that the game isn’t available to watch in your region. Still, you can bypass these location restrictions by using a VPN to connect to a server in a location that does have access to the match.
Does NordVPN work with MLB.tv?
Yes, it definitely does. In fact, NordVPN is our favorite VPN for bypassing blackout restrictions on MLB.tv. It has servers in many cities across the US, and it provides great, reliable speeds that are perfect for streaming live sports.
Does MLB TV block VPNs?
Yes, MLB TV actively tries to block VPN servers. So if your provider doesn’t rotate its IP addresses on its servers regularly, or if it keeps connecting you to the same server by default, you might find that you’re blocked from bypassing region restrictions on MLB.tv.