PokerStars is an extremely popular gambling platform that offers online poker, casino games, and sports betting. Unfortunately, it is blocked in a huge number of regions, which might include your own country.
Luckily, you can unblock PokerStars with the help of a VPN. Not only that - a good VPN will also make your online activity much more secure, hiding your search history from your ISP and protecting your traffic when you use public wifi.
So, take a look at our list of the best VPNs for PokerStars, choose the service that fits your needs best, and take part in that poker tournament you’ve been waiting for.
Best PokerStars VPNs - our shortlist:
- NordVPN – the best VPN for PokerStars
- Surfshark – good VPN that unblocks PokerStars
- IPVanish – cheap and secure PokerStars VPN
- ExpressVPN – secure VPN for PokerStars
- CyberGhost – VPN with specialized servers
How to play at PokerStars with a VPN
- Subscribe to a VPN that unblocks PokerStars, like NordVPN
- Download the tool, install it, and pick the right server (like Lithuania)
- Then, download and install the PokerStars client
- Create an account and make a deposit
- Start playing!
Best VPNs that work with PokerStars - our detailed list
If you can’t wait to get your hands on poker, casino games, or sports betting at PokerStars, then simply pick any of the VPNs listed below and start playing!
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for PokerStars
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get NordVPN with 63% OFF🔥|
NordVPN is the best option for PokerStars and if you're a frequent guest on the internet, you've probably already heard of it. And, believe me, this VPN really lives up to the expectations.
To begin with, it offers all the right countries you need to unblock this poker giant. You can connect to Canada, Lithuania, Latvia, the Czech Republic, and other countries.
Next, NordVPN won’t slow down your internet connection too much. Its custom tunneling protocol, NordLynx, is based on the super-fast WireGuard, adding an extra step towards security.
The tool also has a few really useful features like server obfuscation, Onion over VPN, split tunneling, and a kill switch. Also, all of this won’t cost you an arm and a leg - for only $3.49 a month, you’ll get to use the service on 6 devices simultaneously. And the best thing - there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee that makes its purchase risk-free.
- Lots of countries for PokerStars
- Audited no-logs policy
- Anonymous payment options
- Dedicated IP option
- Obfuscated servers
- No free trial on desktop devices
- Email required on sign-up
2. Surfshark – connect from any device you own
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE🔥|
Surfshark is yet another good VPN that unblocks PokerStars. It offers 3200 servers in 100 countries and will also work with the majority of other online poker and gambling platforms.
Just like NordVPN, Surfshark is incredibly fast. During our tests, the speed drop was minimal when the WireGuard tunneling protocol was used. This means that you’ll be able to play poker without interruption. Also, streaming is a breeze with this VPN, as it unblocks virtually all streaming platforms including Netflix.
The service is good for torrenting, too. It also offers obfuscated servers, GPS spoofing, and SmartDNS. It works on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. In addition to all this, you’ll be able to enjoy unlimited simultaneous connections for only $2.30 per month.
- Fast speeds
- Independently audited
- Good for torrenting
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Anonymous payment options
- No free trial
- Expensive short-term plan
3. IPVanish – strong security for a small price
|Based in:||United States|
|Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 72% OFF IPVanish! 🔥|
IPVanish will help you access PokerStars if it’s blocked in your country thanks to a huge server selection spread out throughout the whole world. You’ll be able to play at a myriad of real money sites aside from PokerStars, including online casinos and sports betting pages.
In addition to all this, IPVanish has lots of other things to offer. The service includes server obfuscation, split tunneling, a SOCKS5 proxy, and customizable auto-connect options.
And even though IPVanish won’t unblock all the streaming platforms you’ll throw at it, it’s more than enough to bypass the geo-restrictions of Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube.
When it comes to speed, IPVanish is decent. While it offers really good download speeds, the upload speeds might be a bit lacking depending on what server you use. Luckily, download speed is all that matters when playing at PokerStars.
- Good download speeds
- Integrated SOCKS5 proxy
- DNS leak protection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Server obfuscation
- No Linux app
- Price increases after a year
4. ExpressVPN – high-level security VPN
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3000+ servers in 3000 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF the 1-year plan!🔥|
ExpressVPN has over 94 locations – that’s why it’s one of the best VPNs for PokerStars. With 3000+ servers, you can access PokerStars from many different locations and stay secure on the platform.
This VPN meets the utmost security and anonymity standards. It means that connecting to a VPN server where PokerStars is available masks your IP address and moves your data through an encrypted tunnel. So, with ExpressVPN, your online activity is fully anonymous and safe from leaks.
ExpressVPN offers a selection of Lightway – a trustworthy protocol that uses lightweight cryptographic libraries. This VPN won’t visibly slow down your device, so it’s a perfect provider for PokerStars.
The kill switch shuts down the Internet connection if the VPN drops, so your ISP or third parties can’t track your online activities. Therefore, from $6.67/month, you can enjoy PokerStars securely and steadily.
- Functional kill switch
- Wide selection of tunneling protocols
- 5 simultaneous connections
- Threat manager
- More expensive than other providers
- iOS version doesn't have kill switch
5. CyberGhost – lag-free gambling experience
|Servers/countries:||9700+ servers in 91 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% OFF + 2 months FREE🔥|
CyberGhost is a great option for those who want to enjoy an uninterrupted poker experience. This VPN offers 9700+ servers in 91 countries. It’s an excellent choice if PokerStars is unavailable in your region. Log to the region where the platform is legal and enjoy a lag-free, secure gambling experience.
CyberGhost is exceptionally safe. It uses AES 256-bit encryption and comes with a selection of tunneling protocols, like WireGuard, IKEv2, and OpenVPN (UDP/TCP). This leakproof protection always keeps your data secure and anonymous while using PokerStars.
Next to all the safety measures, this provider also offers dedicated servers for gaming, streaming, and torrenting. For $2.19/month, you can access specialized gaming servers with the lowest latency. Thus, this VPN is an excellent choice for an enjoyable and safe PokerStars experience. With a 45-day money-back guarantee included!
- Speedy and dedicated servers
- Anonymous payment methods
- WireGuard protocol
- Free trial
- Unintuitive Linux app
- WireGuard interruption on Mac
How we selected and tested these VPNs
When you have to choose a VPN for PokerStars or any other gambling VPNs, you have to keep certain requirements in mind. Aside from unblocking the real money gaming service, the VPN should also meet other criteria that would make it 100% suitable for such a role:
- The right countries. Even if a VPN has a huge country selection, it won’t be useful to you if none of them unblocks PokerStars or other gaming pages of your choice. So, the server list should contain locations where online gambling is legal, like Canada or the Czech Republic.
- Speed. Speed is yet another essential feature of a good VPN for PokerStars - after all, your poker tournament would be ruined by lagging. For this reason, we look for VPNs that offer fast tunneling protocols like WireGuard.
- Security. When you use a VPN to play at PokerStars (and especially when you choose a different country than your own for legal reasons), it’s extremely important that the VPN is secure enough. Meaning, that it uses AES-256 encryption, doesn’t leak IP addresses, and has a no-logs policy.
- Features. Some VPN features can be of great help when playing at PokerStars. For example, obfuscated servers will make sure your VPN is virtually undetectable. Meanwhile, split tunneling will allow you to decide, which apps or websites use the VPN traffic.
- Price. Nobody wants to pay a fortune for a VPN, even a quality one. That’s why all the VPN services on our list are really affordable. Some even offer unlimited simultaneous connections.
- Customer support. In case you run into a problem, good customer support will help you deal with it. That’s why most of the tools on this page have 24/7 customer support.
Why do I need a VPN for PokerStars?
There are a lot of benefits from using a VPN to play at PokerStars and other poker services. Let’s take a look at them in more detail:
- Site access. If you live in a country where online gambling is illegal (or simply falls into a grey area), then using a VPN is the only way to play some online poker games. On another note, gambling might not even be illegal in your area but the site may be blocked due to licensing issues.
- Security. It’s good to use a VPN for PokerStars if you simply want your connection to be secured, especially if you use public wifi for that. Also, it can be a good idea to simply hide your activity from your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
- Speed throttling. Your ISP might throttle, or slow down, your internet connection speed when certain activities are detected. In these rare cases, a VPN will actually speed things up, not vice versa.
Why is PokerStars restricted in certain countries?
Unfortunately, like all the other gambling sites, PokerStars is blocked in many, many countries of the world.
Most of the PokerStars blocks are related not to the site itself or its licensing, but the general situation of real money games in certain locations.
For example, you won’t be able to access the page (or claim the bonuses, for that matter) in virtually any Muslim country due to religious reasons. In other words, gambling may be considered a crime where you live, and it’s smart to check all the laws around it before accessing sites like PokerStars.
However, even non-Muslim countries can ban PokerStars or any other poker site. For example, some countries may require gambling sites to have specific licenses. And in some cases, the laws surrounding gambling are downright confusing, like in the USA - there, only certain states (like New Jersey or Delaware) allow real money games in the first place.
Where is PokerStars blocked?
There are many countries where you won’t be able to play at PokerStars. In some of these, you can simply use a VPN to bypass the geo-restrictions. However, certain locations might punish gambling by a fine or even imprisonment, so stay vigilant about your actions.
|Continent||State or country|
|Europe||North Macedonia, Serbia, Vatican City|
|Americas||Colombia, USA (with the exception of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Michigan)|
|Africa||Egypt, Nigeria, Central African Republic, Chad, Kenya|
|Asia and Oceania||Australia, Bangladesh, French Polynesia, Jordan, Malaysia, New Caledonia, Pakistan, United Arab Emirates, Turkey|
However, keep in mind that this is just a small part of the countries where you won’t be able to access PokerStars. You can check out the full list on the official website of this online poker giant.
Safety tips for playing PokerStars with a VPN
Nobody wants their PokerStars account frozen or downright banned for using a VPN. Luckily, there are a few tips that will help you to minimize your chances of being detected or losing your funds:
- Turn on the VPN on time. It’s really important that you connect to the desired VPN server before you open your PokerStars client. In this way, the service won’t detect an IP change.
- Withdraw your winnings often. As there’s always a chance to get your account frozen, don’t let your winnings accumulate. Withdraw your money as often as possible. This also helps to not trigger KYC (your identity verification), which would expose your real location.
- Enable the kill switch. Before playing, check whether the VPN’s kill switch is turned on. Even though usually it’s enabled by default, some VPNs leave it to the user to decide. The feature will prevent your real IP from being exposed if the VPN malfunctions.
- Use obfuscated servers. These kinds of servers will hide your VPN traffic as regular traffic, making it harder for PokerStars to detect that you’re tricking them. You can find server obfuscation on such VPNs as NordVPN and Surfshark.
In case your VPN can’t seemingly unblock PokerStars, try changing the tunneling protocol first, as the poker client might only block a certain protocol. Also, try your luck with different countries and servers.
Is it legal to use a VPN with PokerStars?
Yes, it is legal to use a VPN to play at PokerStars if online poker is allowed in your country. However, keep in mind that VPN usage doesn’t make an illegal activity into a legal one. So, if you live in a region where gambling is extremely frowned upon, you might still get into trouble.
Also, PokerStars might freeze or ban your account if it catches you using a VPN, especially if it decides to ask for documents to confirm your identity.
Can I use a free VPN with PokerStars?
Yes, it’s possible to play at PokerStars with a free VPN, but you should be careful about it. If you simply pick a random free VPN, you might get your personal information stolen and sold to third parties. Also, your browser might start getting annoying and dangerous ads that contain malware and viruses.
Luckily, there are a few trustworthy freemium VPNs. Unluckily, not all of them are suitable for PokerStars specifically. For example, even though ProtonVPN has a great free version with an unlimited amount of data, none of its countries unblock PokerStars.
On a similar note, the free version of Windscribe might bypass the geo-restrictions of this poker site, but it has a monthly limit of 10MB, which isn’t that much.
That’s why your best bet would be using a VPN with a free trial. Such a service will simply offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. This will allow you to use the full version of a VPN for a whole month and get your money back in the end.
As PokerStars is possibly the most popular online poker site in the world, it’s no wonder that so many people want to play there even if their location doesn’t allow it. If you’re one of them, you now know that you can do this with a help of a quality VPN service like NordVPN.
However, be wary of your country’s stance on gambling. Try to access PokerStars only if there are no heavy penalties for doing so, as online poker should be a fun and lighthearted activity, not a cause for a headache.
Best VPN deals this week:
More VPN Guides from Cybernews
Can I use VPN for PokerStars?
Yes, you can use a VPN to unblock PokerStars. Just keep in mind that if gambling is illegal in your country, using a VPN won’t make this activity legal.
Can PokerStars detect I am using a VPN?
Yes, there’s a slight chance that PokerStars will detect your VPN activity. In this case, your account might get frozen or banned.
Can I play PokerStars in Australia with VPN?
Yes, you can use a VPN for accessing PokerStars in Australia. And, as of today, there are no penalties in this country for playing real money games online.