Best VPNs for Verizon Fios in 2023
Verizon is one of the few biggest Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in the United States. But despite the millions of clients it has, the same can’t be said about its reputation. Verizon is known for throttling internet speed and highkey invading privacy of its users by collecting and selling information about them.
But there is a way to get around these problems, and it’s not switching to another ISP. All you need is a fast and reliable VPN to get around the throttling, protect your privacy, and bypass content restrictions.
However, it is easy to get lost in the sea of VPNs. To help you choose the one VPN for you, we compiled this list of the best VPNs for Verizon and Verizon Fios in 2023.
Top 5 best Verizon VPNs:
- NordVPN – the best VPN for Verizon
- Surfshark – the best cheap VPN for Verizon
- IPVanish – the VPN with the most servers
- ExpressVPN – the most secure VPN for Verizon
- CyberGhost – the best VPN with dedicated servers
Why do I need a VPN for Verizon?
From the outside, Verizon may seem like a reputable ISP. However, its users have long been complaining about some problems which can be easily solved with a VPN:
- Avoid speed throttling. Verizon has publicly admitted to throttling internet speed. The throttling of speed largely depends on what kind of plan you have, but even the unlimited plan users have noticed speed throttling incidents. Luckily, a VPN can help you get around this by hiding your IP.
- Protect your privacy and browsing history. Verizon collects a variety of your data, including calls, text messages, and your browsing history. They use the data for marketing, but also sell it to third parties and retain the information for a very long time. Using a VPN will hide your IP address and prevent DNS leaks, and in turn hide your browsing activity from Verizon.
- Get around website blocking. ISPs also can block and/or censor certain websites on the DNS and IP level, or prioritise ones over the others. For example, Verizon has said that it throttles the content of its competitors. A VPN will help you bypass these restrictions and censorship.
Best VPNs for Verizon Fios – our detailed list
To deal with Verizon's speed throttling and website blocking issues, you want only the best and the most reliable VPN. Take a look at our detailed list of the best VPNs for Verizon and choose the one that suits your needs best:
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Verizon
|Servers/countries:||5,900+ servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Holiday Deal! Get NordVPN with 69% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
NordVPN is the number one VPN provider for Verizon. It is extremely safe, extremely fast, and the price is extremely good. Besides, it has more than 5,900 servers in 60 countries, which is a significant number.
One of the best things about NordVPN is that it has insanely good speeds. This is all thanks to its custom Nordlynx protocol, the fastest one on the market right now. On top of that, NordVPN also supports WireGuard, OpenVPN, and IKEv2 protocols.
As for safety, be assured that no detail about you or your browsing activities will be visible to Verizon. New generation 256-bit AES encryption ensures the protection of your traffic and IP address at all times.
To add to the good things, NordVPN has numerous handy features, such as the kill switch to protect you if safe connection drops, the split tunneling option, and obfuscated servers. This VPN provider also supports torrenting, which is always nice to have with Verizon’s throttling issues.
As for streaming, NordVPN is your ultimate weapon against content and geo-restrictions. It unblocks all of the most popular streaming platforms, and because of the amazing speed, you can watch anything without any buffering issues.
NordVPN also offers excellent 24/7 customer support that’s available via live chat, email, or phone. You won’t be left in the dark with any issues that come up.
For more information, please check our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – the most budget friendly VPN
|Servers/countries:||3,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Holiday deal! Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 4 months FREE 🔥|
Surfshark is the most amazing VPN for Verizon for those who don’t have that big of a budget but still want a quality service.
Surfshark has more than 3,200 servers in 100 countries, which is more than enough for unlocking the best streaming libraries of any streaming platform. That’s right, Surfshark really does unblock your favourite streaming services and allows you to watch any show from anywhere.
Speed is also one of the best things about Surfshark. It uses the WireGuard protocol to achieve minimal drop in original internet speed. And if you are being throttled by Verizon, be prepared for the speed numbers to shoot up when connected to the VPN.
However, speed and unblocking abilities are nothing without security. But there is no need to worry about this because Surfshark is one of the most secure VPNs on the market right now. With the military-grade 256-bit encryption and a kill switch, your personal info will be hidden from Verizon at all times.
And to add to all the excellent things about Surfshark, we need to mention how easy it is to use. Also, in case you do run into some unexpected problems, their 24/7 live chat support, which you can also reach by phone or email, will always be there to help you.
3. IPVanish – the VPN with the widest location coverage
|Servers/countries:||2,200+ servers in 52 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Holiday deal! Get 81% OFF IPVanish + 3 months free! 🔥|
IPVanish is a great option for Verizon. It really does make your IP vanish, and not only that. Great speed and security makes it a VPN worthy of praise.
Military-grade 256-bit AES encryption is what makes IPVanish so secure. On top of that, any authentication gets processed using the SHA-512 hash functions. This ensures that no sensitive info will be seen by Verizon. IPVanish truly offers the highest tier of online security.
When talking about privacy, it is worth mentioning that IPVanish has cleared its name from previous scandals by updating its no-logs policy. On top of that, it is being constantly independently audited, which further adds to its credibility.
In terms of servers and locations – IPVanish has servers in 52 countries, which is the biggest number of locations to choose from. On top of that, it unblocks Netflix and most other streaming platforms, so you will be able to watch shows that aren’t available in the US, and without buffering or delays.
As for speed, IPVanish, like most great VPNs, has the WireGuard protocol, the ultimate tool for incredibly fast connection. This will definitely help you get around Verizon’s speed throttling tendencies.
On top of that, IPVanish has numerous great features, including the mandatory kill switch and secure tunneling protocols. It also supports torrenting, which is always a huge plus for any VPN provider.
To find out more, check our full IPVanish review.
4. ExpressVPN – the safest VPN for Verizon Fios
|Servers/countries:||3,000+ servers in 105 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Holiday deal! Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
Extensive security measures make ExpressVPN one of the most secure providers for Verizon Fios. Connecting to 3,000+ servers in one of 105 countries allows you to access a top-notch security level for a seamless and anonymous surf online.
ExpressVPN is equipped with an AES 256-GCM cipher. You can select Lightway, a perfectly suitable protocol for lower-powered routers. Also, with this VPN, you can go around speed throttling. It means no more buffering on your favorite content and streaming sites.
With ExpressVPN, you’re protected at all times. Whenever your VPN connection gets interrupted, kill switch shuts down your Internet connection. This VPN provider masks your IP to preserve your anonymity and browsing history. It’s a great choice to avoid data leaks and hide online activities. Hence – perfect for Verizon Fios.
ExpressVPN offers unlimited bandwidth, which means no more ping or lag! It’s one of the top choices for a seamless and secure streaming experience from up to 8 simultaneous connections.
5. CyberGhost – gaming, streaming, and torrenting servers
|Servers/countries:||10,200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Holiday deal! Get CyberGhost VPN, now 84% + 4 months FREE! 🔥|
Last but not least, CyberGhost is one of the best five VPN providers for Verizon Fios. It features 10,200+ servers in 100 countries. Therefore, this provider is your ally against data collection and leaks, buffering, and unprotected browsing online.
Next to AES 256-bit encryption, which stops IP and DNS leaks, you can select CyberGhost as your go-to VPN to avoid ISP, advertisers, or search engine tracking. Additionally, an independently audited no-logs policy protects your data from getting into the wrong hands.
In addition, CyberGhost provides dedicated servers to stream, game, and torrent hassle-free. It unblocks Netflix, and the WireGuard protocol helps you enjoy streaming at a good speed.
CyberGhost is also equipped with a Private Browsing feature. This component can mask your IP and prevent you from leaving any digital footprints during your online activities. You can access this feature on Windows, macOS, and iOS. Use Verizon anonymously on up to 7 simultaneous connections.
Find more about secure browsing by reading our CyberGhost review.
How we selected and tested these VPNs
There are some things that need to be considered when choosing a VPN to avoid problems caused by Verizon. Here are the features that we looked into when testing the best VPNs for Verizon:
- Security. Security must be top tier. DNS leak protection, obfuscated servers, and military-grade encryption protocols are just some of the security features of the best VPN.
- Privacy. You will be using a VPN to escape the data collections from Verizon, and only a provider with a strict no-log policy will make you successful in this quest.
- Speed. If your ISP is throttling speed, you want to be sure that a VPN won’t slow it down even more.
- Torrenting support. Torrenting may be one of the main reasons why Verizon chooses to throttle your speed. That’s why you want a VPN provider that supports torrenting.
- User friendliness. Simplicity of navigation and easy installation process, as well as compatibility with different operating systems and routers, are the signs of the best VPN provider.
- Streaming. As more and more people resort to VPNs to access geo-restricted streaming content, we made sure that all the VPNs on our list have the best content unblocking capabilities.
- Customer support. 24/7 support via live chat, phone, or email is the best support. Extensive knowledge libraries and how-to guides are also the features of a great VPN provider.
- Price. You want the best for less, and there’s nothing more to this.
Verizon and Verizon Fios – what are they?
Verizon is one of the biggest wireless communication and internet service providers in the US. They have millions of users and billions of dollars. However, big doesn’t always constitute good.
Despite offering fast speeds and an acceptable price range, Verizon is known for their avid opposition to the idea of net neutrality.
Verizon offers Fiber Optic Service – or Fios – together with its usual services. This bundle includes internet travel through fiber optics networks, which allows for very fast speed, and signature routers, depending on your plan. However, Verizon has admitted to deprioritizing users that exceed their bandwidth limit, and throttling content of its competitors, such as Netflix and Youtube.
How to stop Verizon Fios from throttling my data?
Stopping the Verizon Fios router from throttling your data is not something that’s extremely complicated. All you need is a VPN connection. Here’s how to use a VPN to stop Verizon Fios data throttling:
- Choose a VPN provider. We strongly recommend NordVPN.
- Purchase a subscription and create an account.
- Install the VPN on your device.
- Connect to a server of your choice. The closest servers ensure the fastest speed.
- Enjoy your internet without throttling and buffering!
You can also set up a VPN on your router. This will allow for all of your devices to be connected to a VPN at all times, without the need to connect each device separately. However, setting up a VPN on your router can be tricky. An alternative is to use NordVPN’s custom firmware and router, as it comes pre-configured and with an intuitive admin panel.
Other methods to stop Verizon throttling
There are ways to stop throttling other than using a VPN. However, you should keep in mind that they might not always work, thus a VPN still is the best solution to your throttling problem.
Nevertheless, here are some solutions you can also try to stop Verizon Fios throttling your data:
- Switch to another internet service provider.
- Upgrade the internet package to a one with more, or unlimited, data.
- Create a proxy server to route your traffic through. However, most ISPs are usually aware of this practice, so it might not always work.
- Renegotiate with Verizon to provide minimum bandwidth required for your activities such as streaming, calls, and/or gaming. Though, they will probably just suggest you pay more for unlimited bandwidth.
Can I use a free VPN for Verizon?
Using a free VPN is not the best idea, as it probably will collect and sell just as much of your data as Verizon already does. It may improve your internet connection speed though. But if you are concerned about your private information being recorded and sold to who knows whom, you should refrain from using a free VPN.
However, if price is something that concerns you and you don’t want to commit from the very beginning, all of the VPNs on our list above have free trials and/or a 30-day money-back guarantee. That way, you won’t be losing anything if you end up not liking the service.
As is known, Verizon doesn’t have the best reputation as an ISP. It throttles speed and content, and collects and sells users’ data.
Using a VPN is a very effective way of getting around the issues mentioned above. It will encrypt your IP address, encrypt your data, and help you bypass all the throttling and restrictions. On top of that, a VPN is extremely easy to set up and use.
In this article, we took a look at a number of VPNs. We determined that the best VPN for Verizon and Verizon Fios is NordVPN, with Surfshark coming in second and IPVanish taking the honorable third place.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Does Verizon Fios block VPN?
Yes, there have been users complaining about Verizon Fios routers blocking their VPN connections. However, one way to get around this issue is to reboot your router and connect to the VPN again.
Will a VPN stop Verizon throttling?
Yes, a VPN is the best tool to use if you want to stop Verizon speed throttling. Not only that, a VPN will add an extra layer of security to your traffic and personal data, and help you access geo-restricted content from all over the world. We think NordVPN is the best for this purpose.
Does NordVPN work with a Fios router?
Unfortunately, NordVPN doesn’t support the Verizon Fios router. In fact, this is the case with most ISP issued routers. You will have to use a VPN separately from each device. We also recommend taking a look into purchasing a signature NordVPN pre-configured firmware and router.