Amazon Prime Video protects the copyrights and distribution rights of its content by placing certain location restrictions. So, if you’re traveling abroad or simply wish to access a wider selection of top-rated videos from libraries like the US, chances are, you might not get to. Unless you change your Amazon Prime Video country.
You can learn how to watch Amazon Prime from anywhere and access the US, UK, India, Germany, Japan, and other content catalogs with a VPN. Yet, if you try to watch geo-restricted content without one, you will receive an error message stating that this video is currently unavailable to watch in your location.
In this guide, I will show you how to use a VPN for Amazon Prime on your computer, smartphone or a streaming device. You will also learn how to change the Amazon Prime Video country and how to fix any related issues.
How to change Amazon Prime Video country with a VPN
- Download and install a VPN app. Get NordVPN, now 68% OFF.
- Connect to a VPN server in the US or another country depending on which library you want to access.
- Log in your Amazon Prime Video account to see the US content catalog.
- Choose a title an click the Watch Now button.
Why do you need VPN to change location on Amazon Prime?
Like most streaming services, Amazon Prime Video has a different content catalog for each country. This is due to different distribution rights or copyright laws. It means that you won’t be able to access certain movies and shows that are available in other parts of the world.
However, just pick a good VPN for streaming, and you’ll be able to:
- Bypass geo-location restrictions. If you want to watch movies not available in your country on Amazon Prime, a VPN will help to bypass the restrictions placed on your region. It will connect your device to an American server (or any other) and Amazon will then recognize your device as being in the selected location.
- Enjoy your regular Amazon Prime content while traveling. If you are traveling abroad, chances are that you won’t be able to watch your favorite shows. Worry not, with a VPN you can enjoy your regular Amazon Prime Video content anywhere.
How to change country on Amazon Prime account?
Keep in mind that even though downloading and installing a reputable VPN is a simple way of masking your location, you still need to change the country settings on your Amazon account by adding a new address.
After doing this, you simply need to follow the guide below to successfully change your Amazon Prime Video location to access the US service on your desktop browser:
- Log in to your Amazon account
- Go to Accounts & Lists > Your Content and Devices
- Select the Preferences tab and find the Country/Region Settings
- Select Change and put in a new American address
- Click Update
In case you're confused about the US address part, I'll help you with that. Naturally, you don’t really need to have an American address (unless you’re an American who’s simply traveling). Luckily, there are two ways of tricking Amazon Prime Video:
- Generating a random US address
- Using the address of a hotel
It’s important to note that changing your country to the United States will change the location of your Amazon shopping account, including your chosen address for the delivery of physical items.
How to unblock not available Amazon Prime Video on your device?
You can use a VPN to unblock the American Amazon Prime. This is particularly useful if you’re traveling and you want to watch your favorite show on your laptop.
It’s also great if you want to watch the latest blockbuster that has been released in America and not in your country, as you can bypass geo-restrictions on your Smart TV or Firestick and watch with the whole family as well.
A good trick to watch American content at home is to configure a VPN onto your router. This will then let any device connected to your router connect to an American server. This means you can watch your content from your PC, Smart TV, streaming stick, or console.
It is legal to use a VPN to access region-restricted content, but Amazon strongly discourages it and employs robust technology to stop users from doing this. This is why you need to choose a powerful VPN to bypass the location restrictions.
Keep in mind that not all VPNs are capable of unblocking the Amazon Prime Video content. However, apart from NordVPN there are a few others that work with this popular streaming platform. Check out alternative VPNs for Amazon Prime.
- Change Amazon Prime Video region on mobile devices
- Change Amazon Prime Video region on PC
- Change Amazon Prime Video region on streaming devices
- Change Amazon Prime Video region on smart TV
How to unblock Amazon Prime Video on Mobile
You can get apps that help you bypass location restrictions on Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. This means you can use an Android smartphone VPN or a VPN app for iPhone to unblock Amazon Prime Video on your mobile device. Here's how you do it:
- Download and install the VPN. We suggest NordVPN!
- Sign in to the application and pick an American server
- Log into Amazon Prime Video and start watching
Throughout the testing process, we’ve noted that not all VPNs are equally great at changing countries on Amazon Prime Video. For that reason, we recommend trying out NordVPN, as it has a large fleet of servers worldwide and is known for unlocking many libraries worldwide.
How to change Amazon Prime Video location on PC
According to our tests, you have a much higher chance to unblock Amazon Prime Video on your computer rather than mobile. For that, you can find great VPN choices for Windows and VPN alternatives for Mac. Then, this is what you need to do to start watching movies on your Windows or macOS device:
- Download and install a VPN and launch the app. Our top pick is NordVPN, now at 68% off!
- Search for the US server and click the Connect button
- Log back into Amazon Prime Video, and you should be able to access the American content
Change Amazon Prime Video country on streaming devices
Since not all VPNs work with streaming devices, you’ll need to get one that works with your device – whether it’s the Firestick, Roku or Kodi – to change Amazon Prime country.
Here is the list of VPNs for the most popular streaming devices:
- VPNs compatible with Firestick – change Amazon Prime Video location on Firestick
- VPNs working with Roku – stream your regular shows on Roku device
- Kodi VPNs – change Amazon account country on Kodi
- VPNs designed for Apple TV – watch global movies on Apple TV
- Android TV VPNs – change country in Amazon on Android TV
You can change Amazon location on the streaming device itself:
- Open the Firestick, Roku or Kodi app, depending on which one you use
- Navigate to the Settings > Preferences > Location
- Type in the American postal code that you want to use
- Reload Amazon and the American Prime store should appear
How to change Amazon Prime Video region on Smart TV
The easiest way to access US content on Amazon Prime on your smart TV is to install a VPN app directly onto your TV. Make sure that you get a compatible Smart TV VPN since not all of them work. Then, here’s what you need to do:
- Install a VPN app on your TV via the app store – we recommend NordVPN, now for 68% off!
- Log in and find an American server to connect to.
- Once you have connected, it should lift the restrictions and you can start viewing.
Alternatively, you can configure a VPN onto the router, which should lift restrictions on all your connected devices.
Amazon Prime Video is not working – what to do:
There might be several reasons why your Amazon Prime Video is not working. Usually, you will receive a message followed by an error code that can help to identify the problem. For example, if you see this video is currently unavailable to watch in your location error, there’s a connectivity or DNS and/or IP leak issue that you should fix.
Most connectivity issues might appear if you’re using the wrong VPN – one that’s not capable of bypassing Amazon Prime location restrictions. You will most likely be unable to play movies or titles of your chosen country. You can easily fix this problem by using a premium VPN that’s capable of unblocking major streaming platforms.
If you encounter other error messages or switching between VPN service providers doesn’t help, here’s what else you can do when Amazon Prime Video is not working:
- Try another VPN server. If you can’t change your Amazon Prime location, there’s a strong chance that you’re using a server that's been banned by the streaming service. You should try connecting to alternative servers in your chosen country.
- Check for DNS or IP leaks. If you VPN provider is leaking your IP address, then you won't be able to watch geo-restricted content on Amazon Prime.
- Clear cookies and cache. Since websites are often collecting browser-related data including your true location, it might be the reason why you can’t change your Amazon Prime location. In this case, you should clear cookies and cache from your browser to fix the issue.
- Update your browser or streaming device. If you’re trying to play a title and it doesn’t work, there’s a chance that an outdated version of your browser or streaming device is causing issues. You should update all software and try again.
- Check simultaneous connections. Make sure that you’re not streaming the same movie on more than two devices at the same time. Amazon Prime Video supports only two simultaneous connections. Also, try using a VPN for multiple devices.
- Test internet connection. If you’re using a streaming VPN and are still unable to access global Prime Video content, maybe your internet connection is down. Take another device and try connecting to see if it works.
- Check your digital orders. You might be unable to play titles if there are problems with your payments. Check whether you should update your subscription payment details or contact your bank.
Amazon Prime Video country comparison
Amazon Prime Video offers exclusive content to each country based on the broadcasting legislation rights of the region. So, for example, Amazon Prime Video US has different shows and movies from the UK version. The same applies to other countries.
Apart from that, the subscription cost also varies depending on the country. Keep in mind that Amazon Prime Video in some regions is only available together with the subscription of Amazon Prime, such as Spain, Canada, France, India, and others. In countries like the US or the UK, you can purchase it as an individual service.
Here is a quick price comparison of Amazon Prime Video in different regions:
|Country||Amazon Prime||Amazon Prime Video only|
|United States||$14.99/month or $139/year||$8.99/month|
|United Kingdom||£7.99/month or £79/year||£5.99/month|
|Canada||CDN$7.99/month or CDN$79/year||Included with Prime|
|France||€5.99/month or €49/year||Included with Prime|
|India||₹179/month or ₹1499/year||Included with Prime|
|Spain||€3.99/month or €36/year||Included with Prime|
For example, Amazon Prime Video costs $8.99/month in the US and £5.99/month in the UK. Even though the difference is not so significant if you subscribe to Prime Video only, the full membership fee of Amazon Prime in the US and UK differs quite drastically.
Currently, Amazon Prime subscription costs $14.99/month or $139/year in the US. UK residents can purchase the subscription for £7.99/month or £79/year and there are no scheduled price increases. So, Amazon Prime UK is definitely cheaper than the US.
Keep in mind that NordVPN has servers in all of the above-mentioned countries and you can easily use it to change your Amazon Prime Video location. What’s even better is that now you can get NordVPN 68% OFF.
Exclusive content on Amazon Prime Video – what’s new:
Amazon not only offers popular movies and series, but also creates exclusive original content itself. July is the month, as it releases quite a number of new titles, including the original Amazon Prime content for the subscribers.
Here’s a list of new content and release dates:
|July 1||The Terminal List (Amazon Original Series)|
|July 8||Warriors on the Field (2022) (Amazon Original Series)|
|July 15||Don’t Make Me Go (2022) (Amazon Original Movie); Forever Summer: Hamptons (2022) (Amazon Original Series)|
|July 22||Anything’s Possible (2022) (Amazon Original Movie)|
|July 29||Paper Girls (2022) (Amazon Original Series)|
If you’re a fan of great movies and TV series, you might also like these shows:
- Watch Friends from anywhere
- See Modern Family on Netflix while traveling
- Watch Star Trek from anywhere in the world
- Enjoy watching The Walking Dead when abroad
- Learn how to use a VPN to watch Marvel movies on Netflix
- See Love Island outside US and UK
Amazon Prime Video has great content and luckily, you can watch it from anywhere if you manage to bypass location restrictions. You can change your Amazon Prime Video country with a VPN. There are tools compatible with Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS devices. So, you can watch your regular shows from anywhere.
What’s even better is that you can even change Amazon Prime location on streaming devices and enjoy watching shows with your family and friends. Streaming VPNs are compatible with the most popular platforms, like Kodi, Roku, and Firestick. You just need to install one, like NordVPN, on your device and connect to the server located in the country which library you’re trying to access.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How do I change my Amazon account to another country?
You can change Amazon country in two ways: change Amazon country settings on your account or change Amazon Prime location vis VPN. NordVPN works with all popular platforms, so you can use it on mobile and desktop devices.
Can I use Amazon Prime Video in another country?
Yes, you can use Amazon Prime abroad. However, be aware that your usual content might not be available in the country you’ll be visiting. To help you out with that, just use a trustworthy VPN that can change your IP.
Why is my Amazon Prime Video not working?
Your Amazon Prime Video might not work if you’re using the wrong VPN. You might receive a message saying that this title is not available in your location or be redirected to your local library. To fix this issue, follow instructions on our guides for PC, smartphone, Smart TV, and streaming devices.
How do I fix an Amazon Prime Video error?
You can fix the Amazon Prime Video not available in your location error by using the right VPN for your device. If you’re still receiving the error message, clear cookies and cache on your browser or read our guide explaining how to fix these errors.
Why is my Amazon Video in another language?
Your Amazon Prime Video might appear in another language if you’re using a VPN. In case the shown language doesn’t match the content library you were trying to access, you should connect to a different server and try again. You can learn how to switch Amazon country on all devices here.