Oculus Quest 2 (a.k.a. Meta Quest 2) is a virtual reality (VR) headset hardware that allows users to play various games, including Fruit Ninja, Resident Evil, Sniper Elite, and even the legendary Tetris.
Even though it’s the newest version of the previous Oculus Quest, this headset is still vulnerable to cyberattacks, including a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack. Luckily, you can protect your device with the help of the best VPN for Oculus Quest 2.
A VPN can also bypass geo-restrictions because the Meta Quest servers are not available everywhere. This way, you can enjoy a safe gaming experience with access to your favorite games from anywhere in the world.
In this article, you’ll find a thoroughly researched list of best VPNs for Oculus Quest, Oculus Quest 2, Oculus Go and others.. We’ve tested the providers ourselves to find top-quality products to help you improve your VR gaming experience.
Top 5 best Oculus Quest 2 VPNs
- NordVPN – overall best VPN for Oculus Quest 2
- Surfshark – top Oculus Quest VPN for multiple devices
- IPVanish – great VPN for using on Oculus Quest 2
- PrivateVPN – good VPN for Meta Quest VR headsets
- PureVPN – solid VPN choice for Oculus Quest 2
Best VPNs for Oculus Quest 2 – our detailed list:
In order to help you find the best VPN for Oculus Quest 2, we’ve performed a thorough research of at least a dozen of different providers. They were examined in terms of security, privacy, performance, and compatibility. You can find our best picks in the list below.
1. NordVPN – overall best VPN for Oculus Quest 2
|Servers/countries:||5500 servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 63% OFF + birthday gift! 🔥|
According to our tests and research, NordVPN is the best VPN for Oculus Quest 2, Oculus Quest, and Oculus Go. It’s compatible with routers, provides exceptionally strong security, and doesn’t deteriorate gaming experience.
Security and privacy: For those seeking top-class protection, NordVPN can offer an advanced AES-256 with XChaCha20 encryption and a strict no-logs policy. The latter has been independently audited twice for compliance – no major security risks were found.
Performance: NordVPN uses the NordLynx tunneling protocol which is its own variation of the well-known WireGuard. This revolutionary protocol provides blazing-fast speeds and a stable connection which is essential for a great gaming experience.
Features: There are features covering the basic VPN package, such as a kill switch, split tunneling, and some additional ones. For example, you can hide your connection so that no one would know you’re using a VPN with the obfuscation feature.
Compatibility: You can set up NordVPN on your router to secure the connection and change your IP address on Oculus Quest 2 since it supports the OpenVPN tunneling protocol. It will not only protect your VR headset but also the entire home network.
With such a strong VPN service offering, you’d expect steep prices. But that’s not the case – NordVPN subscriptions start from $3.49/month for 6 devices. You can even try it risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Get more information in our full NordVPN review.
- Huge server selection
- Doesn’t deteriorate gaming experience
- Advanced security features
- Works with popular routers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Free trial only on Android
2. Surfshark – premium-class VPN to use with Oculus Quest 2
|Servers/countries:||3200 servers in 100 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥|
Another best VPN for Oculus Quest 2 is Surfshark. Excellent speeds, robust security, and unlimited simultaneous connections are the things it offers to improve your gaming marathons.
Security and privacy: For maximum protection, Surfshark employs the 256-bit AES and XChaCha20 encryption. In addition, it doesn’t collect any personally identifiable information and uses RAM-only servers. This way, even non-identifiable information is wiped every 15 minutes.
Performance: Speed-wise, this VPN supports the fastest WireGuard tunneling protocol and provides a speedy connection with no delays. It’s excellent for gaming on Oculus Quest 2 and its other models.
Features: With Surfshark, your traffic will remain secure even if you experience Internet connectivity issues as it has a reliable kill switch. Apart from that, you can connect to obfuscated servers which hide the fact you’re using a VPN.
Compatibility: Since this provider supports the OpenVPN tunneling protocol, it’s compatible with the majority of routers. You can manually set up a connection and protect traffic going through Oculus Quest, Oculus Quest 2, Oculus Go, and other home devices.
Another great thing about Surfshark is that it’s highly affordable with prices starting from only $2.30/month for unlimited devices. Also, each subscription includes a 30-day money-back guarantee that you can always use.
Learn more about this provider in our Surfshark VPN review.
- Impressive server fleet
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Strong security with obfuscation
- Support for popular routers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No free trial for Windows
3. IPVanish – excellent Oculus Quest VPN with strong security
|Servers/countries:||2000 servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 72% OFF IPVanish! 🔥|
If you’re seeking a great VPN for VR headsets, IPVanish is among the best VPNs for Oculus Quest 2. During our tests, we’ve easily connected it to the router and enjoyed a seamless gaming session.
Security and privacy: For guaranteeing that your data remains safe, IPVanish encrypts it using the military-grade AES-256 encryption. On top of that, it doesn’t monitor or collect any user-related information itself as there’s an independently audited no-logs policy put in place.
Performance: To ensure a good gaming experience, IPVanish offers the well-known WireGuard tunneling protocol. It’s the most modern one and during our tests, it delivered fast speeds with a consistent connection.
Features: The two major features this VPN includes are a kill switch and OpenVPN Scramble. The former one stops all Internet traffic in case your VPN connection drops while the latter – prevents others from seeing you’re using a VPN.
Compatibility: There’s support for OpenVPN protocol so you can easily connect IPVanish to your router and secure the entire network, including Oculus Quest 2 and its other variants.
IPVanish subscription costs from $3.33/month for unlimited simultaneous connections. Since it also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can always try it risk-free first.
Read more about this provider in our IPVanish VPN review.
- Many servers in different locations
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Includes obfuscation
- Works with routers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not the cheapest option
4. PrivateVPN – reliable VPN for gaming with Oculus Quest 2
|Servers/countries:||200 servers in 63 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PrivateVPN, now 85% OFF! 🔥|
PrivateVPN is another great option if you want to get the best VPN for Oculus Quest 2. It includes reliable security features, a stable connection, and works with many routers.
Security and privacy: Your information is encrypted using the unbreakable AES-256 cipher. Meaning that it’s unreadable for the outsiders at all times. Also, the provider itself doesn’t collect user logs that could contain personal information.
Performance: Even though PrivateVPN doesn’t support WireGuard, we’ve managed to achieve solid speeds using the OpenVPN (UDP) configuration. Alternatively, there’s an option to use OpenVPN (TCP), IKEv2, L2TP, and PPTP protocols but we wouldn’t recommend it for gaming.
Features: In terms of available features, this VPN has everything you need. There’s a kill switch to prevent accidental data leaks and obfuscation. The combination of these features can definitely ensure security and privacy at all times, including gaming sessions.
Compatibility: PrivateVPN works with popular routers so you can easily establish a connection to enjoy a secure gaming experience. It will not only protect your Meta Quest gadgets but other devices connected to the home network as well.
The prices of PrivateVPN are also affordable, starting from $2.00/month for 10 simultaneous connections. You can even request a free trial by contacting their customer support or use the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our full PrivateVPN review for more details.
- Military-grade encryption
- Hides the VPN connection
- Supports routers
- Affordable subscriptions
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No WireGuard
5. PureVPN – good Oculus Quest VPN with many servers
|Servers/countries:||6500 servers in 78 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PureVPN, now 81% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
PureVPN offers a large server selection, essential security features, and high compatibility. Likewise, it’s definitely a good choice as the best VPN for Oculus Quest 2 and its other models.
Security and privacy: With PureVPN, all of your sensitive data is encrypted using the military-grade 256-bit AES cipher. In addition, this provider is based in a privacy-friendly location and has an independently audited no-logs policy.
Performance: You can achieve great speeds since this VPN supports an excellent tunneling protocol known as WireGuard. Safe, fast, and reliable – everything you might need for a great gaming session on Oculus Quest 2.
Features: When it comes to additional features, PureVPN doesn’t have much to offer. However, it covers all the basics with a reliable kill switch and split tunneling feature.
Compatibility: This provider supports other tunneling protocols, such as OpenVPN, so it’s also compatible with routers. You can make a connection and enjoy all-round protection on all of your home devices, including VR headsets like Meta Quest gadgets.
Great news is that PureVPN doesn’t cost a fortune – subscriptions start from $2.08/month for 10 devices. It also offers an extended money-back guarantee period of 31 days that you can always use for a risk-free trial.
Read more about this provider in our detailed PureVPN review.
- AES-256 encryption
- Good connection speeds
- Reliable kill switch
- Works with routers
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- No obfuscation feature
How we tested and selected these VPNs
In order to find out which VPNs are best for Oculus Quest 2, we’ve tested at least a dozen of different providers. These are the criteria used for selecting top-class services:
- Compatibility with routers. Since you can’t install a VPN app directly on the VR headset, the easiest way is to protect your entire Internet traffic. Our chosen VPNs are compatible with routers so that you could easily set up a connection and enjoy safe gaming.
- Servers and countries. Best VPNs for Oculus offer a large selection of servers in different countries. This way, you can always find which one delivers optimal performance for your needs.
- Security. As any digital device, Oculus Quest 2 can be hacked. Likewise, we’ve picked VPNs with strong security features. That includes AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and a strict no-logs policy.
- Performance. Gaming experience strongly depends on the speeds so our chosen VPNs are excellent in terms of performance. They provide a stable and fast connection with the help of the best tunneling protocols, like WireGuard.
- Additional features. Apart from covering the basic security needs, top VPNs for Oculus Quest can also provide additional protection benefits. Our picked VPNs include obfuscation features that can help you hide the fact you’re using a VPN.
- Price and quality ratio. You shouldn’t pay an enormous amount of money for above-average products. So we’ve selected VPNs with affordable subscription prices for high quality services.
Why use a VPN with Oculus Quest 2?
If you have recently purchased a VR headset, you might wonder whether you need a VPN for it. Here are the main reasons why you should use one:
- Protection against DDoS attacks. As any online device, Oculus Quest can be vulnerable to DDoS attacks from sore losers or just malicious threat actors. If you hide your real IP address with a VPN, no one will be able to detect your location and launch a DDoS attack.
- No bandwidth throttling. If some game takes a lot of bandwidth when playing on the Oculus Quest 2 headset, the ISP can deliberately show down your Internet speed and connection. That would definitely have a negative effect on your gaming experience. However, a VPN can hide your activity from ISPs and stop bandwidth throttling.
- Access to geo-restricted games. Some games for Oculus Quest 2 are only available in specific regions. Luckily, a VPN can bypass region-based restrictions and allow you to download and play your favorite games from anywhere in the world.
- Unblock Meta Quest 2 servers. This virtual reality headset was created by the developers of Meta and Facebook. So if you live in a country like China, where Facebook is restricted or banned, that means Meta Quest 2 servers also will not be available for you. Unless, you unlock them by connecting to a secure VPN server.
How to use a VPN on Oculus Quest 2?
Even though VR headsets like Meta Quest gadgets don’t support VPN apps, there’s still a way you can establish a VPN connection. The easiest option is to secure your entire home network, including the Oculus Quest 2, by setting up a VPN connection on your router.
For that, you need a VPN that supports the OpenVPN tunneling protocol and works with popular routers. For more information, you can read our article explaining how to install a VPN on a router.
Will a VPN affect the gaming experience on Oculus?
No, a VPN won’t affect your gaming experience on Oculus if you use top-class services and the fastest tunneling protocols, like WireGuard. Rerouting your traffic through a secure VPN server can only slow your Internet speed down my moments that are unnoticeable.
What’s worth mentioning is that the best VPNs for gaming can even improve your experience. For example, if the Meta Quest connects you to a server which is far away from your location you might encounter delays. A VPN, in this case, can connect you to the nearest server available to your location and help avoid any potential interruptions.
Can I use a free VPN for Oculus?
Yes, you can use a free VPN for Oculus Quest but we’d recommend against that. It’s simply because services that come free of charge are often unreliable and limited. For example, there are data caps, only a few servers, and no advanced security features.
Furthermore, we’ve witnessed cases where so-called free VPNs were used as a disguise to distribute malicious software and infect unsuspecting users’ devices. However, if you’re persistent with using free VPN services, we recommend Atlas VPN and Proton VPN – they’re safe and trustworthy.
Alternatively, you should reconsider trying premium VPNs. You’d be surprised how many of them have affordable subscription options and even allow users to try them risk-free:
- NordVPN. While being the best VPN for Oculus Quest 2 overall, this provider delivers top-quality services. You get blazing-fast speeds, access to geo-restricted content, and strong security from $3.49/month. In addition, there’s a free 7-day trial on Android and a 30-day money-back guarantee with all plans.
- Surfshark. Another great premium VPN for this virtual reality headset that also gives unlimited simultaneous connections. This way, you can protect all of your devices from as low as $2.30/month. It also has a free 7-day trial (macOS, iOS, Android) and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Oculus Quest 2 is a great VR headset that a lot of users enjoy. However, it’s still vulnerable to attacks if you don’t protect your connection. For that, we recommend using a trustworthy VPN.
According to our tests, NordVPN is the best VPN for Oculus Quest 2. It has an impressive server selection, top-class security features, obfuscation, and can unblock geo-restricted games.
Have you already tried using a VPN on Oculus Quest 2? Share your experience with us in the comments below!
Best VPN deals this week:
Can I use a VPN on my Oculus Quest 2?
Yes, you can use a VPN on Oculus Quest 2. According to our research, it’s not illegal to reroute your traffic for security and privacy concerns. We have also prepared a short list of other reasons why you should use a VPN with Oculus Quest 2.
What's the best VPN for Oculus Quest 2?
Our tests show that the best VPN for Oculus Quest 2 is NordVPN. It provided the most impressive results among all tested VPNs in terms of security, privacy, and unblocking capabilities. Thus, we’d definitely recommend it as the top choice for this VR headset.
Does Oculus Quest support VPNs?
No, VR headsets like Oculus Quest do not support VPNs directly. But you can set up a VPN connection on your router or another device. We have detailed instructions showing how to use a VPN on Oculus Quest 2.