Best VPNs for Safari in 2022
Everyone and their mother have a Mac computer, and it is a truth universally acknowledged that Safari is the default browser for any macOS device. However, while it may be the most convenient browser option for Mac users, it’s not the most secure nor private.
But a reliable Safari VPN can turn things around and offer the best security that Safari lacks. Unfortunately, most VPNs don’t offer Safari extensions. But you don’t need to worry, because what they do offer is a dedicated VPN app for macOS. Not only your Safari browsing experience will be better, but also your whole Mac device will be under diligent protection.
So we invite you to join us in this quest for the best VPN for Safari in 2022 - one that offers top-tier security features, ensures your utmost privacy, and is capable of blocking even the most annoying ads and insecure websites.
Top 5 best VPNs for Safari – our shortlist:
- NordVPN - the best VPN for Safari
- Surfshark - most affordable Safari VPN
- IPVanish - Safari VPN with exclusive features
- PrivateVPN - highly customizable VPN for Safari
- PureVPN - one of the safest Safari VPNs
The best Safari VPNs - our detailed list:
We've tested a lot of different VPNs – and this right here is the list of our top 5 options. Check out their in-depth descriptions and pick the Safari VPN option that suits you most.
1. NordVPN - the best VPN for Safari
|Servers/countries:||5400 servers in 60countries|
|Current deal:||Get NordVPN with 60% OFF!|
NordVPN is the best VPN for Safari. It is one of the most secure, fastest, and most affordable VPNs on the market right now. NordVPN has an excellent app for Mac, packed with features that will make your Safari browsing experience better in many ways.
First of all, it uses military-grade AES-256 encryption to keep all of your data private and inaccessible to anyone from the outside. There is also a kill switch, which will deny you access to the internet if secure connection is lost. That way, even in the event of VPN failure, no precious data will be leaked.
Apart from the necessary features, NordVPN allows Mac users to choose between three encryption protocols. The custom NordLynx is the fastest and delivers consistent speeds that will ensure fast loading times and virtually no buffering when playing videos.
NordVPN’s CyberSec feature is what makes it the most attractive VPN option for Safari. CyberSec, when turned on, blocks ads, malicious websites, and trackers. This is especially good to have with Safari’s questionable updates regarding ad-blocking and third-party tracking policies.
And when it comes to support, NordVPN has a 24/7 live chat and phone support, so in no case will you be left alone with your VPN issues. There’s also an extensive knowledge center for your convenience, and you can contact NordVPN’s support agents by email.
Read our NordVPN review for more details.
- CyberSec feature
- Fast speed
- Top-tier encryption
- 24/7 support
- No split tunneling on iOS
2. Surfshark - most affordable Safari VPN
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200 servers in 65 countries|
|Current deal:||Get up to 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE!|
Surfshark is one of the most affordable VPNs out there, and also one of the best VPNs for Safari. Besides boasting 3200 servers in 65 countries, this VPN provider has numerous features available on its macOS app that will make your Safari browsing experience safer and overall better.
To start off, it’s worth mentioning the latest, top-tier encryption protocols that Surfshark employs to keep your data safe and immune to interceptions. Besides that, the authentication processes get scrambled by the SHA-512 function. And if your internet connection ever gets insecure or otherwise compromised, there is a kill switch to prevent any data and IP leaks.
As for speed, Surfshark’s WireGuard truly delivers the lowest drops in original speed you could ever want. All the websites on Safari will be loaded in no time.
Surfshark also has a bunch of additional features to ensure the safety of your online activities. For example, the CleanWeb feature acts as an ad-blocker, disables trackers, and denies access to malicious websites. Considering Safari’s poor attitude towards ad-blocking, this feature is a life-saver. There is also the Alert feature, which will inform you if your data somehow gets leaked during breaches.
When it comes to support, Surfshark excels. They offer an extensive knowledge center for all of their clients, as well as a 24/7 live chat and email support.
If you wish to know more, check out our Surfshark VPN review.
- Affordable price
- CleanWeb feature
- Fast speeds
- 24/7 support
- No split tunneling on macOS
3. IPVanish - Safari VPN with exclusive features
|Based in:||The US|
|Servers/countries:||2000 servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||Get up to 63% OFF IPVanish + an Antivirus!|
IPVanish is another good VPN for Safari, equipped with the most necessary features that any VPN should have - and it also has a quite wide selection of 2000 servers in 50 countries all over the world.
When it comes to keeping you safe during your Safari adventures, IPVanish won’t disappoint and will do everything in its power. That means employing the latest, most advanced encryption methods to protect your incoming and outgoing data. The nice and neat kill switch will also deny your device access to the internet in case a secure connection is lost.
As for speed, IPVanish may not be the speediest of them all, but it’s still pretty fast. In fact, you probably won’t feel or see any significant difference in loading times of your Safari browser or any other Mac apps.
In terms of features, IPVanish can’t offer as much as its competitors can - it doesn’t have an ad-blocker. But nevertheless, there are still some features that make it pretty attractive for iOS Safari users - such as the OnDemand feature that allows you to automatically connect to the VPN when visiting specific websites or using specific apps.
And if you ever run into any issues while using IPVanish, their support agents will be glad to help you via live chat or email, or you can pay a visit to their spacious knowledge center.
For more information, read our IPVanish VPN review.
- Affordable pricing
- Good speeds
- OnDemand feature
- Live chat support
- No ad-blocker
4. PrivateVPN - highly customizable VPN for Safari
|Servers/countries:||200 servers in 63 countries|
|Current deal:||Get PrivateVPN, now 85% OFF!|
Also a good choice if you’re looking for a Safari VPN, PrivateVPN is a Sweden-based provider with 200 servers in 63 locations. It’s quite liked by the more techy folks because of the encryption customization options and port forwarding. But that’s not all that PrivateVPN can offer.
When talking about encryption, its customization is something worth noting. You can choose between four encryption options, each safer than the other. However, it is known that stronger encryption can also mean slower speeds, so it’s good to have a say in which level is the best for your particular case.
As for speed, PrivateVPN is not extremely fast, but also not terribly slow. It has okay speeds, which are perfectly acceptable for some light Safari browsing, or even streaming.
When it comes to additional features, PrivateVPN offers the excellent option for Mac users to kill chosen apps when the VPN connection is lost, interrupted, or simply switched off. If you add Safari to that list, you can be sure that it won’t run in the background when your connection is unprotected, and no browser history will be leaked.
And in terms of support, PrivateVPN has a live chat, though it can be a little slow. If your problem is urgent, the best way to reach out to them and get a speedy response is by email.
For more details, take a look at our PrivateVPN review.
- Customizable encryption
- Port forwarding
- Good speeds
- Kill switch on Mac
- No ad-blocker
- Not many additional features
5. PureVPN - one of the safest Safari VPNs
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||6500servers in 78 countries|
|Current deal:||Get PureVPN 82% OFF + 3 months FREE!|
Although not incredibly feature-rich, PureVPN is an acceptable Safari VPN. Especially if you want a VPN provider that is proven to be safe and secure in independent audits. PureVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands and cover 78 countries with its 6500 servers.
When it comes to encryption, it’s the military-grade AES-256 that will keep your Safari traffic safe and unseen by prying eyes. It is also one of the few VPN providers that’s always on audit and being kept in check by independent auditing firms.
When it comes to speed, PureVPN keeps up the good work and delivers pretty low drops in baseline speed, which is always nice to have for streaming, or even browsing. However, the fastest WireGuard protocol is not available on Mac. Nevertheless, the IKEv2 protocol doesn’t fall far behind WireGuard, so you should be fine.
When it comes to features, PureVPN doesn’t have anything exclusive to offer, except maybe for port forwarding. Other than that, it has a kill switch and split tunneling options. However, the latter is only available on Android devices.
If you run into any troubles while using PureVPN, their 24/7 live chat support is pretty fast and the support agents will be glad to help. Otherwise, you can also check out their support center for some frequently asked questions and setup guides.
For more information, read our PureVPN review.
- Okay speeds
- A lot of server locations
- Always on audit
- No ad-blocker
- WireGuard not available on Mac
- No split tunneling on iOS and macOS
How we selected and tested these VPNs
Selecting the best VPN for any purpose requires a rigorous testing process, and VPNs for Safari were not an exception. Here are some aspects that we looked into when choosing Safari VPNs for our list:
- macOS client. As no VPN has an extension for Safari, you’ll need the one that has a functioning and reliable client app for Mac, with all the necessary features in place.
- Security. Even though Safari is considered a relatively secure browser, there is a history of security issues related to it. Besides, you can never be too secure, so it would be wise to invest in a VPN that prioritizes security by employing the latest encryption protocols and ad-blocking technologies.
- Speed. As a VPN is bound to slow down your internet speed, you need one that slows it down the least so that you can carry on with your online activities.
- Support. Whenever an issue arises, it’s good to know that there are qualified people that are ready to help you solve it. A VPN that has a 24/7 live chat or phone support deserves the top spot in any list.
- Price. You want to get the best VPN with all the necessary and functioning features for the best price. Don’t overpay for something that is not worth the pennies in your wallet.
Why do I need a VPN for Safari?
The internet is far from being the safest place on the planet, and Safari is no exception. Here are some reasons to consider getting a VPN for Safari:
- Security. Connecting to a public network, such as that in cafes and airports, can be pretty dangerous. Whether you’re just reading about swords on Wikipedia or scouring for some funky socks in online shops, your data is at constant risk. It’s easy for a Mr. Hacker to crack down some codes and steal your credit card details, or use your device for crimes. A VPN just adds that extra layer of encryption, and thus extra security, making it much harder for anyone to intercept your traffic.
- Privacy. Safari, like other search engines, records your browsing history. Even with Private Browsing enabled, your ISP, or anyone else interested, can still see all the cat videos that you binge-watched last night at 3am. And while this info is not incriminating in any way, it should be nobody’s business what you google on a daily basis. A VPN encrypts all of this information, making it invisible for anyone except you.
- Ad-blocking. The best VPNs offer neat ad-blocking features, and you really need them, considering the weird 2018 Apple’s updates on Safari’s ad blocking policies and functionalities. As most ad-block extensions for Safari were discontinued in response to the updates, Safari users were left to fend for themselves in the face of annoying ads and trackers. However, a VPN with a powerful ad-blocking feature will ensure your utmost safety and privacy when browsing on Safari.
How to use a VPN with Safari
Using a VPN with Safari has never been easier. Follow this simple step-by-step guide on how to set up your Safari VPN:
- Choose a VPN with a reliable macOS app. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN on your Mac.
- Connect to a VPN server.
- Open Safari and get to safe browsing.
Can I use a free VPN with Safari?
Using a free VPN with Safari is not recommended. Free VPNs don’t have Safari extensions, and they also tend to offer underdeveloped apps for macOS when compared to the Windows clients.
Besides that, free VPNs are infamous for collecting and selling user data to third parties, or just about anyone that’s interested. They also offer only the most basic features, cannot guarantee neither fast nor consistent speeds, and have very few servers in just a couple of countries.
However, if you’re hell-bent on using a free Safari VPN, we suggest you look into VPNs that have free trials. You can claim your NordVPN free trial right this minute, or take a look at the 14-day free trial offered by Surfshark. Who knows, maybe you’ll end up liking these VPNs after trying them out. And if not, they also have 30-day money-back guarantees, so you’re not risking anything.
When all is said and done, it’s your turn to pick and choose a VPN for your Safari adventures. Whether you need one for basic protection, or a more advanced VPN for ad-blocking and complete online anonymity - our list of best VPNs for Safari has it all.
Our top pick is NordVPN - it protects, it secures, it has tiny little pine trees, and it offers a nicely functioning CyberSec feature for ad and tracker blocking. And that’s just among other features focused on security, content unblocking, and anonymous browsing.
And before we part ways, one more thing to remember - a VPN for Safari is a VPN for your whole Mac computer, ensuring the ultimate cybersecurity whenever you need it, wherever you are.
More VPN guides:
Is Safari safe with a VPN?
Yes, Safari is safe with a VPN. A VPN encrypts all of your internet data, ensuring that your Internet Service Provider or any other third parties can’t see your browsing activities. With a VPN, you can stay completely anonymous and safe while browsing on Safari.
Does NordVPN support Safari?
NordVPN supports Safari through its macOS and iOS apps, on all Mac and iOS devices. NordVPN doesn’t have a Safari extension, but you can easily connect to NordVPN servers using the macOS app, and it will work with Safari as well.
What is the safest VPN for Mac?
The safest VPN for Mac is NordVPN. It offers military-grade encryption, powerful hash functions for authentication processing, and even split tunneling, which is not all that common for Mac VPNs to have. Besides, there is also the CyberSec feature for blocking ads, trackers, and malicious websites.