What is Discord malware and how to remove it?
Discord is a popular instant messaging platform where users can send texts, make voice or video calls, and share media files in dedicated chat rooms. Unfortunately, the growing popularity of the platform attracted the attention of cybercriminals. So, the numbers of malware attacks against the Discord app increased dramatically in 2021.
If you’re also using this app to chat with your friends and family, you should be aware of the potential dangers. In this article, I will explain what the Discord virus is and how to remove it, as well as provide ways to protect your device against future attacks.
The easiest way to remove Discord malware is to use an antivirus software. Bitdefender can eliminate all types of viruses related to the Discord app.
What is Discord malware?
Discord malware is a general term used to describe any type of malware that is distributed through this app. For example, I have seen a malicious program that was capable of hijacking a Discord account by stealing an authentication cookie involved in the sign-in process. But that’s just one example of malware and there are many more.
Currently, the most popular types of Discord virus include the following:
- Adware. Cybercriminals distribute malicious programs, also known as adware, that display intrusive and potentially dangerous ads. If you click on them, you might infect your device with even more viruses.
- Remote Access Trojan (RAT). This type of Discord malware provides access to the administrative rights of your device for hackers. Then, they can not only control it remotely, but also steal data and monitor your activity.
- Spyware. Unlike ad-displaying viruses, spyware doesn’t show any signs of presence. Once it infiltrates the device though the Discord app, it silently tracks your activity and sends the collected data to the criminals.
How can I get a Discord virus?
There are multiple ways you can infect your device with a Discord virus. However, these are the most common attack vectors:
- Malicious links. Cybercriminals generate malicious links and send them to dozens of people on various Discord chat rooms. These links might seem unsuspicious at first and often, accompanied by a short encouragement to click on them. Unfortunately, if you open one, it triggers an automatic installation of malware and your device becomes infected within a few minutes.
- Infected files. Since users can not only send text messages but also share files on Discord, hackers often take advantage of it to spread malware. They upload infected files and try to lure users into downloading them. Just like malicious links, they might seem unsuspicious. Yet, once opened, the malware gains a straight access to the system.
How to remove Discord virus from your computer
If your computer got infected with Discord virus, you should immediately remove it to avoid further damage. Here you will find detailed step-by-step instructions explaining how to uninstall malware on Windows and macOS.
Additionally, there are instructions showing how to reset your browser settings to default if they've been compromised by the infection. You will find dedicated Discord virus removal guides for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Safari.
Remove Discord virus on Windows
The quickest way to get rid of Discord malware from your Windows OS is by using a professional malware removal software. Follow these steps to clean your system with the help of an antivirus:
- Download and install a strong antivirus, like Bitdefender
- Run a full system scan on your PC
- Follow the recommended steps by your antivirus
Usually, a robust antivirus is capable of detecting and removing all malicious components of the Discord virus. However, you can also manually uninstall the Discord app, in case its code has been compromised. Just follow these steps:
Uninstall the Discord app manually
- Press the Start button at the bottom-left corner of the desktop and open the Settings
- Select Apps in the settings menu
- Find the Discord app, click on it and press the Uninstall button
- Go to the official Discord website and reinstall the app
Remove Discord virus on Mac
The easiest way to remove Discord malware on macOS is to employ a strong antivirus software. Here’s how you can use it to uninstall all malicious programs:
- Download and install an antivirus on your Mac, such as Bitdefender
Run a full system scan to detect Discord-related threats
- Follow the guidelines provided by your antivirus
While the malware removal software eliminates threats that are present on your system, the Discord app itself can be corrupted. So, you should also manually perform the uninstall/reinstall process:
Manually uninstall the Discord app
- Open Finder from the dock and Select Applications from the left-side bar
- Find the Discord app, right-click on it and select Move to Trash
- Enter your password to uninstall the app
- Go to the official Discord website and reinstall the app
How to remove Discord virus from your browser
You should remove Discord malware from your browser just as from your operating system. It’s because the Discord virus can infiltrate your system through malicious browser extensions that are often promoted on unofficial websites. They modify your browser settings to display intrusive ads or redirect to other malware distribution sources.
Below, you will find guidelines showing how to revert the malicious alterations on most popular browsers, including Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari.
Remove Discord malware from Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three vertical dots (⋮) at the top-right corner of the window
- Navigate to the Settings > Advanced > Reset and clean up
- Select Restore settings to their original defaults and then, Reset settings
Remove Discord virus from Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click on the three horizontal lines (≡) at the top-right corner of the window
- Go to the Settings > Home
- Press the Restore Defaults button. If there’s none, you’re using the default settings already
Remove Discord malware from Microsoft Edge:
- Open Microsoft Edge and press the three horizontal dots (⋯) at the top-right corner of the window
- Navigate to the Settings > Reset Settings > Restore settings to their default values
- Press the Reset button on the pop-up window
Remove Discord virus from Safari:
- Open Safari, then press on the Safari button at the top-left corner of the desktop
- Select Clear History > All history and press Clear History button to confirm
- Click on the Safari button at the top again and select Preferences
- Navigate to the Privacy > Manage Website Data > Remove all
- Go to the Extensions tab and uninstall all suspicious add-ons
- Open the Advanced tab and select Show Develop menu in menu bar
- Click on the Develop button at the top-left corner of the desktop and select Empty Caches
How can I protect my PC against malware?
You can protect your computer against malware by actively taking precautionary measures. Here are some of the best tips to help you avoid all types of cyber threats:
- Use an Antivirus. You should always have a premium antivirus installed and running on your device. It will continuously monitor your system for suspicious activity and automatically eliminate threats once they’re detected.
- Perform regular updates. Many malicious programs find a way to the system if it’s outdated or has outdated apps. So, you should either enable automatic updates or perform them manually whenever new OS and software versions are released.
- Do not click on links. Cybercriminals often create fake social accounts or hijack real ones to distribute malware via malicious links. If you receive a message from an unknown person, you should never open it or the link it contains.
- Never install unverified files. Just like malicious links can carry a virus, unverified files are also often used to spread malware. Hackers upload files that might seem legitimate, like documents or spreadsheets, while in reality – they contain malicious codes to start the installation of malware. So, you should never open files that are sent to you from unfamiliar people.
- Use official websites to get apps. Never download or install applications from unofficial websites since cybercriminals often disguise malware under the names of legitimate and popular apps. Especially, don’t use peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing sites to get premium software for free.
While it might seem impossible to be attacked by hackers on a chat room, we can assure you that the Discord virus is real and highly active. It’s important that users would not only be aware of the potential threat, but also take precautionary measures to protect their devices.
Since Discord malware spreads through infected links and files, users should avoid clicking on such content when using the app. However, if you have accidentally clicked on the malicious link or file and got infected, there’s a way you can remove the Discord virus.
The easiest option is to run a full system scan with Bitdefender or another antivirus. It will also keep your system safe from potential attacks in the future.
Is Discord a spyware?
No, the Discord app itself is not a spyware. However, this is one of the many types of malware that spread through this popular platform. If you click on the malicious link sent in one of Discord chat rooms, you can get infected with spyware or another virus.
Is Discord a safe app?
Yes, Discord is a safe app if you use it to communicate with the people you know. However, if you join chat rooms with dozens of unfamiliar people, you can fall victim to a malware attack. Hackers often exploit messaging platforms like Discord to distribute viruses via malicious links or infected files.
Does Discord scan files for viruses?
Yes, Discord has a security feature that scans uploaded files for malware. Despite that, you should avoid opening suspicious files since cybercriminals continuously find new ways to disguise malicious programs and spread them through the app.