Streaming on Roku is fun, but the content is often geo-restricted. This prevents you from watching your favorite shows, movies, and other pieces of media when you are abroad.
Luckily, you can easily bypass any content blocks with NordVPN. However, there’s a catch - NordVPN doesn’t have an app for Roku. Nevertheless, setting up NordVPN on Roku is still possible, though it may not be so easy, requiring a bit of technical knowledge.
But don’t worry, because we’re here to help. In this article, we’ll guide you through three methods on how to use NordVPN on Roku and access any content you want, wherever you are, whenever.
How to stream Roku with NordVPN from anywhere
- Install NordVPN on your device or router, or use SmartDNS
- Share VPN protected connection over wifi or router
- Connect your Roku device to wifi
- Stream Roku all day long!
Does NordVPN work with Roku?
Yes, NordVPN works with Roku, but it can be a bit complicated to set it up. As NordVPN doesn’t have a native app for Roku, if you want to stream content, you’ll have to use other methods. There are three ways to set up NordVPN with Roku: with SmartDNS, setting up NordVPN on your router, or connecting Roku to the VPN connection shared from your Windows device.
However, macOS and iOS devices don’t support sharing a VPN connection over wifi, or use outdated protocols. If you have a Mac, iPhone, or iPad, you won’t be able to use them to connect Roku to the VPN, and will have to go with either SmartDNS or router configuration methods.
Below, you can find set-up guides for NordVPN on Roku.
How to install NordVPN on Roku
Here we show how to install NordVPN on Roku using SmartDNS, a router, or your Windows device.
To install NordVPN on your router, follow this guide:
- Make sure to disable any VPN connections or proxies that you might have enabled on your device.
- Go to https://my.nordaccount.com/dashboard/nordvpn/ and enable the SmartDNS feature.
- Wait for an email confirming that SmartDNS was enabled.
- Open up your router’s control panel, and change the DNS to the ones provided by NordVPN.
- Since Roku and some of its devices have Google DNS baked in with no option to change it, you will need to block Google’s DNS on the router. This can be done via custom firewall rules in your router’s settings:
NordVPN on router
Before we begin, it’s important to understand that NordVPN supports only some routers. ISP provided routers are generally not supported. Your router, in turn, needs to support VPN connection with OpenVPN or IKEv2 protocols. With that in mind, here’s how to install NordVPN on your router:
- Access the router's control panel by entering the IP of your default gateway in your browser’s search bar. You can find the default gateway by using “ipconfig” command in command prompt/powershell on Windows, in the networking settings on macOS, or by running “ip -a” command on Linux.
- You will need to login with a username and password once you access the router's control panel. You can find all the details on the back of the router.
- Look for a VPN client tab inside the router’s control panel.
- Then, go to nordvpn.com/ovpn and pick a server in the country you want to connect to.
- Click on “Download UDP”
- Upload the UDP file to your router. Depending on the router, you might need to extract certificates and parameters separately instead.
- Enter anything you want in the description.
- Go to my.nordaccount.com/dashboard/nordvpn and find Advanced Configuration > Service Credentials. Copy your login details.
- Copy and paste your username and password to the OpenVPN Client window in your router’s control panel.
- Save the configuration, and connect to the server.
Share VPN connection from Windows
Here's how to share VPN connection from your Windows device:
- Install NordVPN on your Windows (7 and up) device
- Log in and manually set your VPN protocol to OpenVPN (UDP)
Open Command prompt and enter this command
netsh wlan show drivers. This will help determine how you can share the VPN connection. See steps 4, 5, and 6 for further instructions.
- If you find a line saying “Hosted network supported: Yes”, follow this NordVPN guide on how to set up wireless connection on Windows 7+
- If you find a line saying “Hosted network supported: No”, and you are running Windows 10/11, you might still be able to set up a wireless connection using the built-in Mobile Hotspot feature. Follow this guide.
- If you find a line saying “Hosted network supported: No”, and you are running Windows 7 or 8.1, or don’t have a Mobile Hotspot option available on Windows 10/11, you will only be able to share your VPN connection through Ethernet.
- Once you’ve set up a shared VPN connection, connect your Roku device to the wifi or Ethernet cable. You can now stream your favorite content on Roku with NordVPN.
Why choose NordVPN to unblock Roku?
If you’re not sure whether NordVPN is really the best option for Roku, here are a few reasons why you should reconsider, and choose NordVPN for your Roku device and endless streaming possibilities:
- High speed. NordVPN is known as one of the fastest VPNs on the market right now. With its custom Nordlynx protocol, NordVPN delivers extremely high speeds, and can ensure fast loading times and no buffering.
- SmartPlay technology. Designed specifically for streaming various content, NordVPN’s SmartPlay feature is the key to unblocking even the most stubborn streaming libraries.
- Supports various ways to create VPN connections. You can set up NordVPN on your router, use SmartDNS, or share VPN connection over wifi. This allows you to connect your Roku device to the VPN connection and unblock all kinds of streaming content.
- Excellent customer support. NordVPN has an extensive knowledge base on all kinds of topics, including setting up the VPN for streaming, troubleshooting if something doesn’t work, and countless others. Besides, the 24/7 live chat support is always there for you.
- Free trial. NordVPN has a 7-day free trial that allows users to test the product before buying without any risks. The free trial is available for iOS and Android, but once you’ve claimed it, you’ll be able to use the VPN on any device you want, completely free of charge.
Does NordVPN work on Roku TV?
Yes, NordVPN works on Roku TV and allows you to access numerous streaming libraries. Even though NordVPN doesn’t have a native Roku app, you can still connect your Roku device to the VPN by sharing the VPN connection over wifi, using SmartDNS, or configuring NordVPN on your router.
How to get NordVPN on Roku?
You can get NordVPN on Roku by using NordVPN’s SmartDNS settings, setting up NordVPN on your router, or sharing VPN connection via wifi using your Windows device. Unfortunately, NordVPN doesn’t have a Roku app.