Best FRITZ!Box VPN providers in 2024
The FRITZ!Box is a series of combination modem routers made in Germany that connects your wired and wireless clients to the internet. If you use a FRITZ!Box for your home internet, you might be wondering if you can use a VPN with the router to protect all your devices at once effortlessly.
Even though there are no dedicated apps for FRITZ!Box, you can still use a reliable VPN, and it’s one of the ways to protect your whole network. You’ll be able to effortlessly bypass geo-restrictions and encrypt all your online activity on all devices connected to your home wifi.
We did the research and rounded up the 5 best FRITZ!Box VPNs to use in 2024. Keep reading to pick the best VPN for you and your FRITZ!Box.
Top 5 best VPNs for FRITZ!Box
- NordVPN – best VPN overall to use with FRITZ!Box
- Surfshark – high-speed and budget-friendly FRITZ!Box VPN
- IPVanish – speedy VPN for direct setup on FRITZ!Box
- ExpressVPN – secure and privacy-focused VPN for FRITZ!Box
- CyberGhost – top FRITZ!Box VPN for streaming
Why do you need a VPN for FRITZ!Box router
Setting up a VPN directly on your FRITZ!Box router is useful to not only secure your whole network with a VPN but to bypass geo-restrictions, and avoid ISP throttling – that’s for starters. Here are some of the reasons why you might want to set yours up:
- Bypass geo-restrictions. If you’re looking to stream geo-blocked content, setting your VPN up on your FRITZ!Box router makes this an effortless task. Any device you connect will be able to bypass geo-restrictions, including smart TVs.
- Ensure privacy. If you don’t like the idea of your Internet Service Provider (ISP) knowing everywhere you go online, you can relax with your VPN’s high-level encryption. Browsing on any connected device will be protected by your VPN’s secure tunnel.
- Safeguard sensitive data. A VPN adds an extra layer of security when transmitting sensitive information, such as passwords, financial details, or personal data. This is crucial, especially if you frequently perform online transactions or access confidential work-related information.
- Prevent ISP throttling. ISPs throttle or limit the bandwidth of certain online activities, such as streaming or torrenting. By using a VPN, you can encrypt your traffic and prevent your ISP from monitoring or restricting specific activities, ensuring a smoother and more consistent internet experience.
Best VPNs for FRITZ!Box router – detailed list:
To find the best VPN to use with FRITZ!Box, we looked for premium services that delivered well-rounded performance, security, and value. Keep reading for in-depth summaries on the best FRITZ!Box VPNs for 2024.
1. NordVPN – overall best VPN to use on FRITZ!Box
|6000+ servers in 61 countries
|No-logs, independently audited
|🔥 Get NordVPN, now up to 67% OFF + gift! 🔥
For a fast and reliable FRITZ!Box VPN, NordVPN comes in at the top of our list. It offers apps to all major operating systems and devices, meaning you can install it on all devices that use an internet connection, including routers.
Speeds. NordVPN is leading the pack in speed and performance. When we tested it out, we found it easily maintaining over 90% of our initial connection speeds, which is quite an impressive result, and you won’t experience any slowdowns.
Security. This VPN has all the security features you need, like AES-256-bit encryption, a trusty kill switch, and its Threat Protection ad blocker. For a higher level of protection, connect to the Onion over VPN, Double VPN, or Obfuscated servers.
Privacy. NordVPN has an independently audited no-logs policy that you can rely on. Also, the company is headquartered in Panama, a privacy-friendly country.
Price. For as low as $3.39/month, your NordVPN subscription will include 6 simultaneous device connections and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
If you want to know what else this top provider can do, visit our NordVPN review.
2. Surfshark – speedy FRITZ!Box VPN on a budget
|3200+ servers in 100 countries
|No-logs, independently audited
|🔥 Get 79% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥
Outstanding performance at a low price? Surfshark makes for an excellent FRITZ!Box VPN. You can use its WireGuard tunneling protocol to set it up directly on your router. Once it’s installed, you can choose from 3200+ servers in 100 countries.
Speeds. You don’t have to worry about speeds when you use Surfshark. We tested it out and found it could easily retain 90% of initial connection speeds. In result, you won’t even notice any speed drops (unless you connect to a server far away).
Security. Although Surfshark is budget-friendly, it doesn’t skimp on the security features. You’ll get AES-256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and the ultra-secure double server feature. Regarding extra features, you can also get an ad blocker and antivirus.
Privacy. With its RAM-only servers and audited no-logs policy, you can feel confident that your data isn’t being collected. As a downside, Surfshark is based in a country that belongs to the 9-Eyes alliance.
Price. You can get all these great features, plus unlimited device connections, for as little as $2.29/month. You can subscribe risk-free with its 30-day money-back guarantee.
For the full breakdown of all its great features, visit our in-depth Surfshark review.
3. IPVanish – high-speed VPN for direct FRITZ!Box setup
|2200+ servers in 52 countries
|No-logs, independently audited
|🔥 Get 75% OFF IPVanish! 🔥
IPVanish is another reliable FRITZ!Box VPN option. This service has both WireGuard and IPSec protocols to support direct setup on your router. Plus, it offers its users over 2200 servers in 52 countries around the world.
Speeds. IPVanish is surprisingly fast, keeping up with our other top contenders. When we measured its performance, we found it to hover right around 90% speed retention, so there will be no unexpected lags or buffers.
Security. With IPVanish, you’ll get all the security essentials, like AES-256-bit encryption, a functional kill switch, split tunneling, and a traffic obfuscation feature.
Privacy. IPVanish has a strict no-logs policy and an independent audit to prove its promises. Unfortunately, it is located in the US, which is part of the 5-Eyes intelligence alliance.
Price. Your IPVanish subscription will include unlimited device connections with prices starting at just $3.25/month. This VPN also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more on its great features, check out our full IPVanish review.
4. ExpressVPN – trustworthy VPN with great privacy features
|3000+ servers in 105 countries
|No-logs, independently audited
|🔥 Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥
ExpressVPN is popular with privacy enthusiasts and makes for a trustworthy FRITZ!Box VPN. With thousands of servers in 105 countries, ExpressVPN is perfect for an international audience.
Speeds. With ExpressVPN, you can connect to its custom Lightway protocol for optimal speeds. Our in-house tests showed it retaining about 80% of its connection speed.
Security. ExpressVPN is loaded with custom security features, like its signature TrustedServer RAM-only server fleet, specialty servers, Network Lock kill switch, AES 256-bit encryption, and more extra layers of protection.
Privacy. You don’t have to worry about data collection or retention with ExpressVPN. It has an independently audited no-logs policy and is located in the privacy-friendly British Virgin Islands.
Price. The only downside about ExpressVPN – it’s quite pricey. Subscriptions begin at $6.67/month and include up to 5 device connections. If you change your mind, you have 30 days to request a refund.
You can learn even more about this top provider in our ExpressVPN review.
5. CyberGhost – FRITZ!Box VPN for the streaming enthusiast
|11500+ servers in 100 countries
|No-logs, independently audited
|🔥 Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% + 2 months FREE! 🔥
If you want a streaming-optimized VPN that you can set up directly on your FRITZ!Box, CyberGhost is a great pick for you. You can use the WireGuard protocol to support direct router installation and connect to one of its 11500+ servers in 100 countries.
Speeds. CyberGhost offers smooth and reliable performance, with our speed tests showing it is able to retain over 80% of its original speeds. You can choose from its many specialized servers for even better performance.
Security. This VPN now offers an entirely RAM-only server fleet, plus other key security features like AES-256-bit encryption, a reliable kill switch, DNS leak protection, split tunneling, and extra layers of security.
Privacy. CyberGhost has a good reputation in privacy, thanks to its audited no-logs policy and its Romanian location outside of intelligence alliances.
Price. Plus, it’s budget-friendly. Prices start at $2.19/month and include a generous 45-day money-back guarantee. You can connect up to 7 devices at once.
For more on all its great features, check out our full CyberGhost review.
How we tested the best FRITZ!Box VPNs
Wondering how we came up with our best FRITZ!Box VPN providers? Here are a few of the top features we looked for when testing out the best contenders:
- Compatibility. Current FRITZ!Box routers support direct VPN setup with WireGuard and IPSec tunneling protocols. We took special note of the VPNs that matched this compatibility for a smooth setup experience.
- Privacy and security. When you set up a VPN on your router, it will protect your activity on all your devices. That’s why we looked for VPNs that offered ironclad no-logs policies and essential security features like AES-256 encryption and a reliable kill switch.
- Servers. Using a VPN with high-speed servers all over the world is a must for effortless streaming, gaming, or just about any activity online. We looked for VPNs with large server fleets and gave extra points for specialized server options.
- Price and value. The VPN market is competitive, meaning you can get impressive and trustworthy services at a low price. We searched for budget-friendly options without sacrificing security or performance.
What is FRITZ!Box?
FRITZ!Box is a series of popular combination modem routers by the German company, AVM. These are commonly seen in Europe, specifically in their home country – Germany. There is a wide range of FRITZ!Box models to meet all kinds of internet needs.
Like with any modem and router combo, you get both essential parts in one device. The modem connects you to your ISP, bringing internet service to the device. From there, the router takes over and broadcasts this signal out as wifi in your home.
You might also hear these combination devices referred to as gateways. They’re often available through your internet service provider when you create your account. It’s quite common in Germany to receive a FRITZ!Box from your ISP when setting up your home internet.
How to configure a VPN on FRITZ!Box router
A convenient way how to use a VPN with your Fritz Box is by installing the VPN client on each device within your home. Our suggested options, such as NordVPN, include apps compatible with various platforms, ensuring seamless usage across most of your devices.
Alternatively, you can configure a VPN on FRITZ!Box router, which is a bit more technical than the first option. Here are the summarised guides to get you started:
Configuring a VPN on FRITZ!Box router with IPSec
- Download and install the MyFRITZ! app on your mobile device
- Launch the app and log into your account
- Go to settings and add your VPN information
- Connect and safely browse on all connected devices!
Configuring a VPN on FRITZ!Box router with WireGuard
- Check with your VPN for the settings file to set up a router connection
- Download the file
- Go to the FRITZ!Box User Interface
- Go to the internet and click on Permit access
- Select VPN (WireGuard) and Add connection
- Continue filling in all the necessary details and Finish
- Your VPN and router are now connected!
What if a VPN does not work on FRITZ!Box
It can be a little tricky manually setting up your VPN on FRITZ!Box for the first time. We’ve put together a list of the most common obstacles that can get in your way and what to do about them:
- Compatible tunneling protocol. You’ll need a VPN with WireGuard or IPSec tunneling protocols to set it up directly on your FRITZ!Box. Double-check to make sure you’re using a compatible protocol to proceed with the installation.
- Outdated FRITZ!Box models. The newer FRITZ!Box models tend to be more VPN-compatible. Older generations of its routers might not support your VPN or only support IPSec and not WireGuard. Look for FRITZ!OS 7.39 or higher.
- Dual-router is needed. If your VPN doesn’t have the tunneling protocols for direct setup, you simply need to include another router. To make it simple, you can choose a router with a pre-configured VPN.
- Other technical issues. Don’t worry, if you picked one of our top VPNs, you have access to 24/7 customer support. You can reach out and ask for assistance to set up your VPN of choice on your particular FRITZ!Box router. You can also simply use your VPN on your individual devices if you’d like to avoid setting it up directly on your router.
Free VPN for FRITZ!Box
When you install a VPN on FRITZ!Box, it will automatically protect all your connected devices. This is good news if you’re using a trustworthy VPN, but a total nightmare if using an unreliable, free VPN.
Free VPNs can be slower than premium VPNs and offer limited server options. So, instead of using a free VPN, we recommend testing out a premium service. All our recommended VPNs offer generous money-back guarantees, so you can subscribe with the option to change your mind.
- NordVPN. 7-day free trial for Android with an option to share the VPN connection to other 5 devices. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee. With these options, you get the needed protocols for FRITZ!Box and total security.
- Surfshark. 7-day free trial for Android, iOS, and macOS (you can share the VPN connection to an unlimited number of devices). Same as NordVPN, Surfshark offers a 30-day money-back guarantee to enjoy all the premium security features.
Using a FRITZ!Box VPN is an excellent way to enhance your online privacy and handle geo-restrictions with ease. When you’re connected, you don’t have to worry about ISP snooping or data collection. Your valuable data will be encrypted and safe.
Our top choice for a FRITZ!Box VPN in 2024 is NordVPN, followed by Surfshark and IPVanish. NordVPN has great performance and security features. Plus, with its 30-day money-back guarantee, you can subscribe today risk-free and decide for yourself.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can you put a VPN on FRITZ!Box?
Yes, you can put a VPN on FRITZ!Box. According to the manufacturer, the FRITZ!Box supports any VPN with WireGuard or IPSec tunneling capabilities, such as NordVPN. For best results, you’ll want to use an up-to-date version of the FRITZ!BOX router.
What VPN works with FRITZ!Box?
Does FRITZ!Box 7530 support VPN?
Yes, the FRITZ!Box 7530 supports VPNs with WireGuard or IPSec tunneling protocols. All the VPN providers on our list offer these protocols. To avoid any problems, make sure your router is from the most recent generation of the 7530 model.