Even though the EU Regulation doesn’t restrict Internet access, it’s still essential to take precautions and secure your online activities since some European countries are a part of the 9-Eyes and 14-Eyes alliance. A VPN for Europe can help you improve your security, privacy, and access geo-restricted content.
Users in the EU can connect to a protected VPN server which encrypts private information and changes your virtual location. As a result, ISPs cannot track your activities and you can easily watch global movies that are otherwise unavailable in your region.
We’ve tested numerous providers in terms of offered servers, speeds, streaming capabilities, and general performance. If you want to choose the best VPN for Europe, then read on to find everything you need to know.
Top 5 best VPNs for Europe:
- NordVPN – overall best VPN for Europe in 2023
- Surfshark – top VPN with servers in 31 EU countries
- IPVanish – premium EU VPN for traveling
- PureVPN – VPN with many servers in Europe
- Ivacy VPN – good streaming VPN for the region
The best VPNs for Europe – our detailed list:
In order to help you find the best VPN for Europe, we’ve completed a thorough research of multiple service providers. VPNs were examined based on the availability of EU servers, security, speed, and features. So here’s the list of our top EU VPNs for you to consider:
1. NordVPN – overall best VPN to use in Europe
|Servers in Europe:||2500+ servers|
|Simultaneous connections:||6 devices|
|Unblocked streaming sites:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 63% OFF + birthday gift! 🔥|
NordVPN is the best VPN for Europe overall: including security, features, streaming capabilities and speed. It has over 5500 servers in 60 locations and over 2500 of them are in the EU.
Security and privacy: to provide top-class protection for your data, NordVPN uses a combination of AES-256-CBC and ChaCha20 encryption. Also it operates under a strict no-logs policy which has been independently audited twice.
Performance: this provider employs the NordLynx tunneling protocol (its own variation of WireGuard) that is excellent for blazing-fast speeds and a stable connection. We’ve connected to a server in the Netherlands and reached a 276 Mbps download and 286 Mbps upload speed.
Features: NordVPN covers the essentials like a kill switch, split tunneling, and also includes many extras. For example, there are obfuscated, P2P, double VPN, and onion over VPN servers as well as the CyberSec feature for extra protection.
Streaming: we easily unblocked Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, and many other platforms. Also, its SmartDNS technology allows you to use it even on devices that don't support VPN connections.
All of these perks come at an affordable price – starting from $3.49/month for 6 simultaneous connections with a 30-day money-back guarantee. There’s even a free 7-day trial for Android users.
You can learn more about this provider in our NordVPN review.
- Over 2500 EU servers
- Multiple specialty servers
- Independently audited no-logs policy
- Unblocks all popular streaming sites
- Fast and stable connection
- Android-only free trial
2. Surfshark – top-class EU VPN for multiple devices
|Servers in Europe:||servers in 31 EU countries|
|Unblocked streaming sites:||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥|
Surfshark is our second best VPN for Europe that offers top-notch security, great speed, and servers across 31 EU countries. You can use it on as many devices as you need.
Security and privacy: you can be sure that your data is protected as Surfshark combines AES-256-GCM and ChaCha20 algorithms for robust encryption. In addition, it doesn’t collect any logs and is independently audited for compliance.
Performance: when it comes to speeds, there’s WireGuard support to provide you with a fast and reliable connection. Our tests show a 270 Mbps download and 211 Mbps upload speed when connected to a server in France.
Features: a kill switch and split tunneling are here to cover the essential features. However, you get some extras as well: the Camouflage Mode, CleanWeb, MultiHop features, and P2P-optimized servers.
Streaming: During our tests, we’ve unblocked Netflix, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and other popular platforms with no major efforts. There are even dedicated apps for streaming devices, including the Fire TV.
It’s worth mentioning that Surfshark is among the most affordable VPN services with prices starting from $2.30/month for unlimited simultaneous connections with a 30-day money-back guarantee included. You can also try it for free on Mac, iOS, and Android devices.
You can read more about this VPN in our Surfshark review.
- Servers in 31 EU countries
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Doesn’t keep any logs
- Works with all major streaming platforms
- Affordable price
- No free trial on Windows
3. IPVanish – excellent VPN for traveling to Europe
|Servers in Europe:||530+ servers|
|Unblocked streaming sites:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 72% OFF IPVanish! 🔥|
IPVanish also falls into the category of best VPNs for Europe. Among its 2000 servers, over 530 of them are located in the EU. And since it offers unlimited simultaneous connections, it’s great for protecting all of your devices on holiday or a business trip.
Security and privacy: in terms of protection, IPVanish employs AES-256-GCM with ChaCha20 encryption just as other top VPNs for Europe. Also, it doesn’t collect or store data that could potentially identify you and this policy has been independently audited by Leviathan.
Performance: you can expect great speeds as this provider supports the fastest tunneling protocol – WireGuard. We’ve tested a server located in Germany which gave us a 260 Mbps download and 274 Mbps upload speed.
Features: a kill switch, split-tunneling, and obfuscation are the main features that IPVanish offers for its users. They are designed to maximize security and allow you to enjoy VPN services even in countries with heavy Internet censorship.
Streaming: we’ve tried unblocking multiple streaming platforms with IPVanish and successfully accessed Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and YouTube. You can also get dedicated apps for Fire TV devices.
However, IPVanish prices are quite steep – starting from $3.33/month. But you can always get a full refund with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find more details about this provider in our IPVanish review.
- Over 500 EU servers
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Audited no-logs policy
- Gives access to streaming platforms
- Supports all popular devices
- Relatively high price
4. PureVPN – great VPN with many servers in Europe
|Servers in Europe:||3000+ servers|
|Simultaneous connections:||10 devices|
|Unblocked streaming sites:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PureVPN, now 81% OFF + 3 months FREE! 🔥|
With over 3000 servers in European countries, PureVPN can definitely become your next best VPN for Europe as well. Apart from that, it also offers robust protection and good speeds.
Security and privacy: this provider is the only one that offers a no-logs policy which is always on audit. Meaning that an independent auditing firm, KPMG, can examine the compliance whenever they decide. Also, it uses AES-256-CBC encryption to protect your data from outsiders.
Performance: PureVPN uses the well-known WireGuard tunneling protocol. We’ve performed detailed tests and received good speed results. Alternatively, there is an OpenVPN (TCP) option if you’re more focused on security.
Features: this VPN includes a kill switch, leak protection, and split-tunneling features. However, the latter one is unavailable when used together with the WireGuard tunneling protocol.
Streaming: during our tests, we’ve unblocked Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more with no issues. In our opinion, it’s a great streaming VPN that can help you enjoy global content from Europe and anywhere in the world.
You can get PureVPN subscription from $2.08/month for 10 simultaneous connections. Moreover, there’s a 31-day money-back guarantee which is longer than what other providers are offering.
Get more information about this provider in our PureVPN review.
- Huge EU server selection
- Strong security
- Always-On audit
- Unblocks many popular streaming sites
- Extended money-back guarantee
- Trial version costs $0.99
5. Ivacy VPN – solid VPN for streaming in Europe
|Servers in Europe:||servers in 33 European countries|
|Simultaneous connections:||10 devices|
|Unblocked streaming sites:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Youtube|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get Ivacy VPN, now 90% OFF + gift! 🔥|
Ivacy VPN is a solid VPN for Europe if you’re interested in specific activities. It has servers in 33 EU countries and some of them are specialized for streaming and torrenting.
Security and privacy: this VPN offers ChaCha20 and AES-256 encryption depending on which tunneling protocol you use. The former algorithm is available with WireGuard while the latter – with other protocols. Also, even though it has a no-logs policy, it hasn’t been independently audited.
Performance: during our tests, Ivacy VPN delivered solid speeds of 277 Mbps download and 183 Mbps upload when connected to a server in Germany with the WireGuard protocol. In addition, its apps are quite easy to use and navigate across to find specific features.
Features: this provider covers the basics with a kill switch, split tunneling, and leak protection as well as adds some extras. You can enjoy P2P and streaming optimized servers which is a useful addition for those who seek to improve such experiences.
Streaming: we managed to unblock BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and HBO Max with no major interruptions. So you can definitely try using this provider to access geo-restricted content while in Europe.
What’s also worth mentioning is that Ivacy VPN offers affordable subscription prices starting from $1.00/month for 10 simultaneous connections. You can always try it risk-free with a 30-day money-back guarantee or use a 1-day free trial.
Read more about this provider in our Ivacy VPN review.
- Servers in 33 EU countries
- P2P and streaming optimized servers
- WireGuard support
- Works well with streaming platforms
- Affordable price
- Not audited no-logs policy
How we selected and tested these VPNs
An excellent VPN service consists of many variables. Therefore, we’ve tested at least a dozen of different providers to help you find the best VPN for Europe. These are the criteria used during the testing process:
- Global and EU servers. It’s essential for a VPN to have a wide selection of servers to provide top-class services. Likewise, we’ve picked VPNs that can offer large server fleets, including the ones in Europe.
- Available specialty servers. Every user has different needs when it comes to VPNs. Thus, we’ve tested whether providers have specialty servers, like obfuscated or P2P servers that could improve your experience when using a VPN.
- Security and speed. These two are truly essential aspects when choosing a VPN for Europe or any other country. As a result, our picked providers offer blazing-fast speeds with the revolutionary WireGuard tunneling protocol and strong security with military-grade AES-256 encryption.
- Compatibility. Since users have multiple and different devices, it’s vital that a VPN would be highly compatible. We’ve examined each provider’s offerings and selected only those that support all major operating systems and have user-friendly apps.
- Additional features. Apart from providing the essentials like a kill switch and split tunneling, top-notch VPNs include some extras. For example, we’ve picked providers that also offer threat protection and ad blockers.
- Unblocking capabilities. Since streaming platforms are actively blacklisting VPNs, only the best VPNs for streaming can remain undetected. Our selected providers easily unblock Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and other popular sites.
Why do you need a VPN for Europe?
The Virtual Private Network (VPN) reroutes your traffic through a secure server and can be useful in the EU for the following reasons:
- Improve privacy. Unfortunately, many EU countries are part of 9-Eyes and 14-Eyes alliances. Meaning that they intend to collect data about their citizens and share amongst the member countries. A VPN for Europe can encrypt your traffic and make data inaccessible for anyone.
- Increase security. Premium VPNs are also excellent at helping you to stay safe. Some of them even include such features as data breach monitoring or an ad blocker to protect your data and remove potentially malicious advertisements.
- Unblock global content. Major streaming service providers use region-based restrictions on their content meaning that movies available on for Americans are not accessible if you’re in Europe. A VPN can help you, for example, change Netflix region, and unblock US content from the EU. This applies to Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, and others as well.
- Access restricted websites. Certain pages, like online gambling and betting sites, are restricted in Europe. However, if you get a reputable VPN and connect to a specific server, you can access Roobet or other websites.
- Enjoy torrenting. Since sharing files on P2P networks requires extensive bandwidth usage, the ISP might throttle your connection. Also, torrenting is heavily restricted in many EU countries. Luckily, a VPN can help you remain anonymous and allow torrenting in Europe without any interruptions.
Internet restrictions and legislation in Europe
In theory, there are no Internet restrictions in Europe as users have open access to lawful content and services of their choice via their chosen Internet Service Provider (ISP). Except Russia and Belarus, the two countries in Europe that exercise pervasive or substantial censorship.
Additionally, even though the EU Regulation also supports the principle of non-discriminatory traffic management, it still allows reasonable management with necessary safeguards. Meaning that ISPs can block or throttle your connection to ensure compliance with legal obligations and congestion management in some specific and temporary situations.
Moreover, entertainment production studios enforce copyright by country that you might encounter when trying to access certain content through streaming services in the EU. It’s because companies try to maximize their profits and show only relevant movies, TV shows, and series for the region.
How to set up a VPN for Europe
Using a VPN for Europe is quite simple if you choose a top-class VPN with user-friendly apps. Here are the generic instructions on how to set it up on your device:
- Choose the best VPN for Europe. We recommend NordVPN since it offers a large server fleet, robust security features, and intuitive apps.
- Install the application and press log in or sign up at the top-right corner.
- Pick a server in Europe. Top-class VPNs offer a “Quick connect” feature that automatically selects the fastest available server.
- Connect to an EU server and you’re all set.
How to access American Netflix in Europe
American Netflix has great TV series, shows, and movies that are unavailable for users outside the country. However, a reliable streaming VPN can help you bypass geo-restrictions and unblock Netflix US library from anywhere, including the EU.
So here’s how to watch American Netflix in Europe:
- Install a VPN with many US servers. NordVPN also has useful features for streaming and unblocks Netflix among other popular platforms.
- Create an account or log in.
- Choose and connect to an American server.
- Open Netflix and enjoy watching the US library content from Europe.
Can I use a free VPN in Europe?
Yes, you can use a free VPN in Europe but we’d advise against it. Firstly, it’s because free VPNs are highly limited – data caps, restricted access to features, small server fleets, and slow speeds.
Secondly, if they come from unreputable service providers you can encounter the following dangers:
- Intrusive ads. Free VPN providers often engage in extensive advertising activities and flood their apps with not only annoying but also potentially dangerous ads to generate profit. They can deteriorate your experience significantly and even lead to malicious websites.
- Risks of sensitive data exposure. In addition, free VPNs are rarely based on a zero-knowledge architecture. In fact, they often actively collect private user data that can later be shared with third parties for advertising purposes or financial benefits.
- Potential cyber attacks. The worst case scenario happens when free VPN apps are only used as a disguise to spread malware. Since many people definitely search for ways to get VPN services free of charge, they often fall victim to such attacks and install viruses instead of legitimate software.
If you want to get quality VPN services for free, we suggest picking a provider that offers a free trial or 30-day money back guarantee.
Even though most of the EU countries do not engage in severe Internet user surveillance, you should still consider using a VPN to improve your privacy and security.
For example, NordVPN is the best VPN for Europe with over 2500 servers located in the EU. Once connected, your sensitive data is encrypted and unreadable to third-parties. Thus, you can avoid ISP tracking and remain anonymous.
Also, this provider works flawlessly with popular streaming services. You can use its servers to change your virtual location from EU to US and access American Netflix and other geo-restricted content.
If you’ve already tried using one of our best VPNs for Europe, please share your experience in the comments below!
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Do VPNs work in Europe?
Yes, top-class VPNs on our list work flawlessly in Europe. They have numerous European and global servers, use military-grade encryption, and can help you access geo-restricted content from anywhere.
Which VPN is best for Europe?
According to our research, the best VPN for Europe is NordVPN. It has over 5500 servers in 60 countries with over 2500 of them being in Europe, offers military-grade encryption, and unblock all popular streaming platforms.
Are VPNs legal in Europe?
Yes, VPN usage in Europe is legal for security and privacy reasons. The only exception is Russia and Belarus where using access to VPN services is restricted. Other EU countries prohibit VPN usage if it’s employed for conducting other illegal activities.