Every Netflix enthusiast knows that the platform offers different movies and TV shows based on your country of residence. As such, many viewers want to know how to change their Netflix region to enjoy foreign content without traveling abroad.
This is a scenario where a top-quality VPN can truly shine. It reroutes your traffic through servers in other countries, making it appear you’re logging in to Netflix from elsewhere. Thus, you can watch cinema from different regions with minimal effort.
However, having a top-quality VPN isn’t enough for enjoying exclusive cinema. You also need to know how to change region on Netflix using that VPN. And so, this article will explain everything you need to know to enjoy any Netflix region while traveling.
How to change Netflix region with a VPN
- Log in or register a Netflix account
- Download and install a VPN that can change the Netflix region. We recommend NordVPN, now 67% OFF
- Sign up for your VPN service on the device you’ll be watching Netflix on
- Connect VPN to the server in a country with the Netflix content you want to watch
- Open Netflix and you’ll be redirected to the country site for the selected server
Can I watch Netflix in other countries?
Yes, you can watch Netflix in other countries because the popular streaming service is available in around 190 countries worldwide. However, the provided content dramatically varies based on your region. For example, many of the best movies and TV shows are exclusive to Netflix US and are unavailable elsewhere.
As such, many viewers are curious about how to change their region on Netflix to access top-quality cinema. While many methods exist to change your IP address and location, using a reliable VPN is the best way to watch Netflix from other countries.
For starters, these services offer numerous servers worldwide for changing your Netflix region to any area you desire. Additionally, you won’t notice any drops in connection speed, allowing you to enjoy your favorite movies in excellent video quality on any device. But it’s vital to note that these fantastic results are only available with truly top-tier Netflix VPN services, such as NordVPN.
VPN recommendations for changing Netflix region
- NordVPN – the #1 provider for changing your Netflix region. It offers industry-leading speeds and over 6000 servers across 61 countries
- Surfshark – fast and cost-effective streaming VPN offering servers in an impressive 100 countries worldwide
- IPVanish – well-balanced VPN for changing your Netflix country on unlimited devices
How do I change my region on Netflix for free?
While there are plenty of potential options for changing your Netflix region for free, all are unreliable and ineffective. Of course, there’s usually no risk in trying, so we’ll introduce you to some methods.
The most obvious path is using a free VPN. These can be categorized into free versions of established premium services and completely costless providers. As expected, a free plan of a premium service can’t change your Netflix region simply because that feature is reserved for paying customers. On the other hand, we don’t recommend using 100% free VPNs because they likely collect your data or engage in other malicious activities.
Another option is a free proxy, a different method of changing your IP address and location. However, as you’ll see in our proxy vs VPN comparison, proxies are inferior because they are slower, don’t encrypt your data, and are overused. They also have the same issue as 100% free VPNs because they might infect your device with adware or hijack it.
Finally, you can try searching for free Smart DNS services, which can bypass geographical restrictions by altering DNS addresses. This method has fewer risks because you don’t have to install software to reroute your connection through questionable third-party servers.
How to change the Netflix region on your device
To change your Netflix location, you don’t have to go miles if you’re using a market-leading VPN. With current technologies, VPN apps help you switch your Netflix library on all your household devices within a few clicks.
- How to change Netflix location on iPhone
- How to change Netflix country on Android
- How to change location on Netflix using gaming consoles
- How to watch Netflix from other countries on TV
Also, if you're trying to switch Netflix countries on devices that don't support VPNs, you will need to protect your whole network. For that, check out our guide explaining how to install a VPN on your router.
How to change the Netflix region on iPhone
Want to know how to change your Netflix location on your smartphone? The process with iPhone VPN services is quite straightforward. Here’s how you do it:
- Install a VPN from the Apple App Store. NordVPN works well with iOS devices
- Log in to your new VPN account
- Choose the country you want to connect to
- Head to your phone settings and clear cache
- Open your Netflix app – and see if the location has changed
How to change the Netflix region on Android
Watching Netflix from other countries on Android requires only a few simple steps. Here’s how you do it:
- Install a VPN from the Google Play Store. NordVPN has a user-friendly Android app
- Register an account or log in
- Choose the server in a country you want to connect to
- Clear cache in your phone settings
- Once you open the Netflix app your region should be changed
How to change the Netflix region on gaming consoles
Both PlayStation and Xbox consoles do not natively support VPN apps – so, a method to change the Netflix region on them is also a little bit different. Here is how you change the Netflix region on both PS and Xbox consoles:
- Choose the best VPN service for Netflix. NordVPN works with Netflix really well
- Install the VPN on your router or share VPN connection over Wi-Fi from another device
- Choose your preferred region for watching Netflix
- Connect your console to the Wi-Fi network
- Open Netflix and watch content from anywhere
How to change Netflix region on smart TV
If you have a newer smart TV, it most likely uses Android OS. In that case, changing the Netflix location on your smart TV is very simple. Just follow these instructions to get your favorite shows up and running:
- Subscribe to a reputable VPN service. Our top pick for Netflix is NordVPN, now 67% OFF
- Locate your VPN on the Google Play Store and install it
- Log into your existing account and pick the region of your choice
- Open Netflix – it should show the content of the country you selected
If your smart TV’s app store does not include VPN apps, changing the Netflix region can be a bit more difficult – but not impossible. For example, NordVPN offers a feature called SmartDNS, allowing you to unblock Netflix libraries even on devices that don’t support VPNs.
How to change Netflix region without VPN?
Want to know how to change Netflix region without VPN? Well, there are several viable options:
- Proxy servers. Proxy servers act as a middleman between you and Netflix. Unfortunately, they don’t encrypt traffic. Furthermore, they are often overcrowded and deliver laggy streaming.
- Smart DNS. By manipulating DNS requests, this feature can make you look like you are from a different country. The main drawback, however, is that Smart DNS lacks the much-needed security and encryption you get with a VPN.
- Remote desktop services. Another option is a remote desktop service, simply a computer in a needed location you connect to remotely. But the truth is, this service is hard to attain and quite expensive (unless you use NordVPN Meshnet, which is free).
- The Tor Browser. The privacy-centered Tor Browser can hide your location. The main issue is you can’t choose a specific location, and the connection speed is so slow that Netflix becomes almost unwatchable.
Ultimately, we recommend using a VPN to change your Netflix region. It will fully encrypt your data and give you the best shot at accessing worldwide streaming libraries – even without any technical expertise.
How many Netflix versions are available?
There’s one reason you might want to change your location on Netflix – accessing one of the service’s 190 excellent international streaming libraries.
The best Netflix VPNs can unlock between 50 and 100 international locations. If you’re looking for inspiration on what to watch – here is the breakdown of the top 10 countries with the largest Netflix libraries as of February 2024 (keep in mind the number of titles varies over time):
|Number of titles in the Netflix library
The movies and TV shows on Netflix differ based on location, but there’s no need to travel abroad to change the library. Instead, you must simply change your IP address using one of the available software options.
Our tests conclude that a top-quality VPN service is the most reliable way to change your Netflix region. Specifically, we recommend NordVPN due to its incredible connection speeds, numerous worldwide servers, and excellent device compatibility. You can try it without commitment using the 7-day trial on the Google Play Store or with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How to change country on Netflix?
Using a high-quality VPN is the best way to change your country on Netflix and access foreign TV. The software will reroute your traffic through another region, giving you a different IP address. Then, you can access movies and TV shows from that country.
Can I use my Netflix account in different locations?
Yes, you can use your Netflix account in different locations, including other countries. As such, the available content will change accordingly to the regional library. To continuously access your homeland's Netflix catalog, you’d need to use a VPN.
How does Netflix know that I am using a VPN?
Netflix is monitoring IP addresses and if a single IP is used by several different devices, it raises suspicions and gets blocked. It also tracks account registration location. So, if you registered in one country but keep changing your IP addresses, Netflix can easily detect a VPN-related activity.
How to watch Netflix when traveling?
If you try watching Netflix abroad, the service might prompt you, stating, “Your TV isn't part of the Netflix Household for this account.” In that case, you’ll have to activate the “I’m traveling” setting to enable using your Netflix account abroad.
Is it legal to change your location on Netflix?
Yes, it’s legal to change your Netflix location using a VPN or by other means. However, it may go against Netflix’s terms of service. Thankfully, there are no cases of Netflix permanently blocking users for using such methods, making it a safe and common practice among customers.
Can I access multiple Netflix regions at the same time?
No, you can’t access multiple Netflix regions simultaneously because you can only be in one country at a time. However, a allows you to switch between Netflix libraries without needing to travel anywhere.
How to watch Netflix from other countries?
You can watch Netflix outside your home country by enabling the “I’m traveling” setting to access your Netflix account outside your household. You can also use a VPN and connect to a server in your home or foreign country to access movies and TV shows from other regions.
How do I change my Netflix country without VPN?
You can try using a proxy, Smart DNS, remote desktop service, or with the Tor Browser. However, these options aren’t as reliable as VPNs and include other issues, such as slower speeds and fewer country options.
Can I access Netflix libraries from other countries?
Yes, you can access Netflix libraries from other countries using a VPN, such as. The software will change your IP address by rerouting your connection through a foreign server. Then, you’ll have to refresh the Netflix app or webpage to enjoy foreign movies and TV shows.