CBC is Canada’s national broadcasting channel, filled with news, politics, sports, and TV dramas. But unfortunately, it isn’t available to stream outside of Canada because CBC is region-restricted. This means that if you try to watch CBC in the USA, you will be instantly blocked.
Luckily, all you need is a premium VPN to connect to a server in Canada, and you’ll be able to access everything CBC has to offer.
Sounds simple? It really is. So read on to find out everything about using a VPN to watch CBC from the US or anywhere else in the world.
How to watch CBC in the USA with VPN
- Sign up for a VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Download and install the software.
- Connect to a server in Canada.
- Go to the CBC Gem app or the CBC website and find the content you want to watch.
- Enjoy the show!
Why do you need a VPN to stream CBC in USA?
CBC is geo-restricted and is only available to stream in Canada, so if you want to access CBC or its digital streaming service, CBC Gem, from outside the country, you will need a reputable VPN.
CBC restricts access to its TV content by blocking anyone who is using an IP from outside Canada. But if you use a VPN to connect to a Canadian server, it will appear as though you have a Canadian IP address. This will enable you to bypass CBC’s geo-restrictions and access its full catalog of live and on-demand content.
Best VPNs to watch CBC
- NordVPN – best VPN for watching CBC in the US
- Surfshark – good value VPN for international CBC streaming
- IPVanish – reliable VPN for streaming CBC Gem in USA
If you’re looking for a VPN to help you bypass geo-blocks so you can watch CBC from the US or anywhere else in the world, we recommend using any of the following:
1. NordVPN – best VPN for watching CBC in the US
|🖥️Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 59 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more|
|🔎Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 68% OFF|
NordVPN is our favorite choice for unblocking region restrictions allowing you to watch CBC from outside Canada. It has more than 5500 servers in 59 countries, and it can unblock content on every streaming service we’ve tested it on, including CBC.
And if your online privacy is important to you, you’ll be pleased to know that NordVPN boasts an extensive range of security features to protect your data from online hackers and other third parties. And it operates a strict no-logs policy.
NordVPN is very reasonably priced too, with costs starting at just $3.09 a month with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
2. Surfshark – good-value VPN for international CBC streaming
|🖥️Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 95 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and more|
|🔎Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV|
|🔥Coupons:||Surfshark coupon 83% OFF|
If you’re looking for an even cheaper VPN to unblock CBC’s region restrictions so you can watch it in the US, you’ll struggle to find a better option than Surfshark. It boasts over 3200 servers in over 95 countries around the world, and it can bypass region restrictions with ease.
Better still, it delivers superfast speeds with its WireGuard tunneling protocol, which makes it ideal for buffer-free streaming. And, unlike most other VPNs at this price point, it comes with unlimited simultaneous connections, so you can use it on as many devices as you like at the same time.
For all this, Surfshark is incredibly good value for money, with prices starting at just $2.21 a month. And it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it out.
3. IPVanish – trusted VPN for unblocking CBC TV
|🖥️Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|🍿Streaming sites:||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|🔎Compatible with:||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|🔥Coupons:||IPVanish coupon 69% OFF|
IPVanish is a reliable VPN that comes with all the necessary features to unblock CBC.
IPVanish has 2000+ worldwide servers, so you’ll be able to choose from a list of Canadian servers to watch CBC without any trouble.
IPVanish also encrypts your data. It uses 256-bit AES encryption and has a standard kill switch that will protect you if the VPN connection is interrupted.
IPVanish pricing starts at $3.33 per month, but if you want to find even better deals, don't miss out on special IPVanish coupon codes!
How to watch CBC in USA on your device
You can enjoy CBC in the USA or anywhere else in the world by using a VPN and connecting to a Canadian server. This can be done on a huge range of devices, so that you could:
- Watch CBC on your PC
- Watch CBC on your Android phone
- Watch CBC on your iPhone
- Watch CBC on streaming devices
In this section, we’ll talk you through how to use a VPN to connect to a Canadian server and access CBC on the most popular devices.
How to watch CBC on Mac or a Windows PC
If you want to watch CBC on Windows 11 or a Mac, the good news is, you don’t even need to download the app. You can access all of CBC’s content in your browser. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install a VPN on your computer. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Connect to a server in Canada.
- Go to the CBC website.
- If you still can’t access CBC content, try clearing your cookies and cache, and start again.
- Find your favorite content and start streaming.
How to watch CBC on Android
If you want to watch CBC on your Android smartphone or tablet, all you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Change your app store and phone locations to Canada.
- Download and install the app for the VPN you have chosen. We recommend NordVPN because it has a great Android app.
- Create a new Google account and choose Canada as your country.
- Open or install the CBC Gem app on your device from the Google Play Store.
- Sit back, relax, and start watching your favorite CBC content.
How to watch CBC on iOS (iPhone, iPad)
If you want to watch CBC from anywhere in the world, you can access it on your iPhone or iPad. Here’s how:
- Change your phone and app store locations to Canada.
- Download and install the app for the VPN you want to use. We recommend NordVPN because it has an app that works really well on iOS.
- Create a new Apple ID and select Canada as your country.
- Open or install the CBC Gem app on your iPhone or iPad from the Apple App Store.
- Start watching your favorite CBC TV shows.
How to watch CBC on streaming devices
Using a VPN to watch CBC on a streaming stick means that you will be able to enjoy all your favorite CBC content on the TV. Luckily, we have put together a guide to the best VPNs for streaming if you want to check it out. Below, we’ll talk you through how to do this on some of the most popular streaming sticks available.
However, it’s essential to point out that the easiest way to watch CBC on streaming devices is to set up a VPN connection on your router. For that, we have comprehensive instructions on how to install a VPN on a wifi router.
How to stream CBC on Roku
Roku doesn’t support VPN apps. But, you can still connect it to a VPN via your Wi-Fi router, which will mask your IP address. Here’s how to do it:
- Sign up for a reliable VPN with plenty of Canadian servers to choose from. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Use your VPN guides to set it up on your Wi-Fi router.
- Connect to a server in Canada.
- Insert your Roku stick into the HDMI port on your smart TV.
- Turn on your TV and choose CBC on the Roku home screen.
- Search for your favorite TV shows, and enjoy streaming.
How to stream CBC on Kodi
It’s really easy to watch CBC on Kodi. But like Roku, Kodi doesn’t support VPN apps. However, there is a very simple way around this. Just follow these steps:
- Check that you have OpenVPN installed. If your Kodi is running on LibreELEC and OpenELEC, you should already have OpenVPN pre-installed.
- Download and install your VPN. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Add your VPN to your Kodi device. You can do this by downloading the VPN onto your computer, saving the software onto a USB stick, and then inserting it into your Kodi device.
- You will then need to go to Settings, then choose System Settings, and then hit Add-ons on your Kodi device. Switch on Unknown Sources. You will then be able to download the VPN software onto your Kodi.
- Once this is done, connect to a server in Canada.
- Switch on your TV and go to Kodi's home screen.
- Install the CBC add-on to your Kodi.
- Enjoy watching everything CBC has to offer.
Another way you can get a VPN to work with your Kodi is to connect your VPN to your Wi-Fi router. Then you will be able to access Canadian servers from wherever you are.
How to stream CBC on Apple TV
Apple TV doesn’t support VPN apps. But you can get around this easily. Here’s how to connect your Apple TV to your VPN, so you can watch CBC from anywhere:
- Choose a VPN provider that supports router connections. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Use your VPN instructions to connect it to your router.
- Connect to a Canadian server.
- Download and install the CBC app on your Apple TV.
- Grab a drink and enjoy watching CBC content.
How to watch CBC outside Canada
With a VPN, you can access CBC from anywhere in the world. So, whether you want to watch it from the US, the UK, Australia, France, Spain, Japan, or any other country, you can use a VPN to bypass CBC’s region restrictions and watch the content you want.
If you don't have cable or satellite, it's not an issue. You can watch most of the CBC programs, including CBC News, sports, movies, and more, on the CBC Gem website/app, or CBC Player.
All you need to do is follow this step-by-step guide:
- Choose a VPN with plenty of Canadian servers. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Download and install a VPN on your device.
- Choose a server in Canada from the list provided.
- Open or install the CBC Gem app or visit https://www.cbc.ca/ and start searching for your favorite content.
- If this doesn’t work, clear your cache and cookies and try again.
- Enjoy watching CBC.
Still can’t access CBC with a VPN?
Unfortunately, even if you’re using a reputable VPN, there’s a small chance you might struggle to access CBC content. Firstly, we recommend checking that your VPN is running and connected to a server in Canada.
If you’ve done all this and it’s still not working, here are some possible reasons why your VPN may not be able to unblock CBC’s region restrictions:
- CBC has blacklisted the servers used by your VPN. Using a reputable VPN, such as NordVPN, should get around this issue.
- Your true IP address could be leaking.
- CBC might have upgraded its geo-blocking protocols, which is now stopping your VPN from being able to unblock the content.
- The GPS location of your device and the IP address don’t match up. You might need to change the location on your device.
- You have cookies on your device that make it apparent to CBC that you’re not in Canada.
- The VPN you’re using is not able to unblock CBC.
Luckily, we have a few solutions you can try to fix these problems:
- Make sure you’re using a VPN that has a reputation for being able to unblock geo-restrictions on content in Canada. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Clear your cookies and cache, so your true location is harder to track.
- Connect to a different server and try to access CBC again.
- Try a different browser to see if that solves the problem.
- Search for your VPN’s leak protection setting and make sure it’s enabled.
- If all else fails, contact your VPN’s customer support team to ask for help. They will be able to check if the server you’re using is able to unblock CBC.
If you still can’t unblock CBC, your VPN could be to blame. For example, using a free VPN or one that doesn’t have a good reputation could mean that it’s less likely to be able to bypass location restrictions and allow you to access CBC from outside Canada. The most important thing to do is to make sure you’re using a reliable VPN.
How to watch CBC in USA for free with VPN
There’s a limited amount of free CBC content available for both guests and registered members on the website. But if you want to watch everything CBC has to offer from the US or any other country outside Canada, you’ll need a VPN and a premium account that costs $3.80/month.
The good news is that CBC has a 30-day free trial, and you can use top-rated VPNs that offer money-back guarantees to watch the full CBC content library completely free for up to 30 days:
- NordVPN – the most reliable VPN that always unblocks CBC from wherever you are. It's just $3.09 a month, plus a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
- Surfshark – allows unlimited simultaneous connections for only $2.21 per month. 30-day money-back guarantee is included as well.
- IPVanish – consistently unblocks CBC outside Canada. It's only $3.33 per month with a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
While it’s technically possible to use a free VPN, it’s certainly not something we’d recommend, particularly if you want to use it to bypass geo-restrictions on channels like CBC. Free VPNs usually get blocked by streaming platforms, so it’s very unlikely that you’d be able to use a free VPN to watch CBC.
And even if it did work, free VPNs are often a lot slower, so it wouldn’t be a good choice for streaming content. More troublingly, free VPNs usually make money by tracking user data and selling it to third parties. So it wouldn’t be a secure option.
A slightly better alternative would be to opt for a freemium, which is a free VPN version offered by some providers. They aren’t always able to unblock international content, and they usually come with a monthly data cap. If you do want to give it a go, Atlas VPN is a reputable VPN that has a freemium service with a data cap of 5 GB a month. Alternatively, if you want to use a freemium that doesn’t come with a data cap, you could try Proton VPN.
What can you watch on CBC?
There are loads of great TV shows available on CBC, including live sporting events, documentaries, kids’ TV, news, and dramas.
Here’s a list of some of our favorite shows on CBC and the CBC Gem app:
|Best CBC content||Genre|
|Pretty Hard Cases (2021 - present)||Crime|
|Frankie Drake Mysteries (2017 - 2021)||Drama|
|The Great Canadian Baking Show (2017 - present)||Reality TV|
|Murdoch Mysteries (2008 - present)||Drama|
|Being Erica (2009 - 2011)||Comedy|
|Heartland (2007 - present)||Drama|
|Sherlock (2010 - 2017)||Crime|
|Coroner (2019 - present)||Drama|
|Schitt’s Creek (2015 - 2020)||Sitcom|
If you want to watch CBC in the US or anywhere else outside Canada, you can do this really easily with a good VPN, like NordVPN. This will allow you to connect to a Canadian server so that you can bypass CBC’s region restrictions.
But beyond this, a VPN is a vital tool for protecting your online privacy. It does this by encrypting your data to keep your activity safe from cybercriminals and other third parties. It will also protect your data if you connect to public Wi-Fi.
Has this guide answered all your questions? Let us know in the comments section below!
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can I access CBC in the US?
CBC isn’t available to watch in the US. However, you can use a reliable VPN to connect to a server in Canada. This will help you bypass CBC’s location restrictions and let you watch all the CBC content you like. Just install NordVPN or another reputable VPN. To find out how, follow our simple step-by-step guide in the section above.
How can I watch CBC outside Canada?
You won’t be able to watch CBC outside Canada without a reputable VPN. Once you’ve got your VPN set up, all you then need to do is connect to a server in Canada. Then you’ll be able to bypass CBC’s region restrictions, which will allow you to watch all of CBC’s content. If you get stuck, follow our simple instructions earlier on in this guide.
Is CBC available on Hulu?
A lot of CBC’s TV content is available to stream on Hulu. But if you want access to CBC’s full content library, you’ll need to use a VPN to connect to a server in Canada so you can bypass the channel’s region restrictions. Then, you’ll be able to use the CBC app or website to watch all CBC’s content.
Can I watch CBC TV Live online?
Yes, provided you’re in Canada, or you’re using a VPN to connect to a Canadian server, you’ll be able to watch CBC TV Live on the CBC website or app.