How to watch CBC in the USA and abroad in 2021
CBC is Canada’s national broadcasting channel, filled with news, politics, sports, and TV dramas. But unfortunately, it isn’t available to stream outside of Canada because CBC is region-restricted. Fore example if you try to watch CBC in USA, you won’t be able to access the majority of its content.
Luckily, there’s a really simple way to bypass geo-blocks so you can watch CBC from wherever you are in the world. All you need to do is use a reliable VPN to connect to a server in Canada, and you’ll be able to access everything CBC has to offer.
Sounds simple? It really is. So read on for everything you need to know about choosing a VPN to watch CBC from the US or anywhere else in the world.
Watch CBC live stream in the USA - a short guide
It’s really easy to use a VPN to bypass CBC’s geo-restrictions. All you need to do is follow these five simple steps:
- Sign up for a VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 72% OFF!
- Download and install the software.
- Connect to a server in Canada.
- Go to the CBC Gem app or the CBC website and find the content you want to watch.
- If you can’t access the content straight away, try clearing your cache and cookies and start again.
Why do you need a VPN to watch CBC?
CBC is only available to stream in Canada. This is because of geo-restrictions that have been put in place by CBC to comply with distribution rights and copyright laws. If you try to access CBC or its digital streaming service, CBC Gem, from outside Canada, you will need to use a reputable VPN to bypass these region restrictions.
The good news is, a VPN can help you get around this problem. CBC restricts access to its TV content by blocking anyone who is using an IP from outside Canada. But if you use a VPN to connect to a Canadian server, it will appear as though you have a Canadian IP address. This will enable you to bypass CBC’s geo-restrictions and access its full catalog of live and on-demand content.
Best VPNs to watch CBC
If you’re looking for a VPN to help you bypass geo-blocks so you can watch CBC from the US or anywhere else in the world, we recommend using any of the following:
NordVPN - best VPN for watching CBC from outside the US
|Servers/countries:||5,500+ servers in 59 countries|
|Current deal:||Now 72% OFF + 3 Months FREE!|
NordVPN is our favorite choice for unblocking region restrictions allowing you to watch CBC from outside Canada. It has more than 5,550 servers in 59 countries, and it can unblock content on every streaming service we’ve tested it on, including CBC.
And if your online privacy is important to you, you’ll be pleased to know that NordVPN boasts an extensive range of security features to protect your data from online hackers and other third parties. And it operates a strict no-logs policy.
NordVPN is very reasonably priced too, with costs starting at just $3.30 a month with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Surfshark - best value VPN for international streaming
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,000 servers in 94 countries|
|Current deal:||Get Surfshark, now 81% OFF!|
If you’re looking for an even cheaper VPN to unblock CBC’s region restrictions so you can watch it in the US, you’ll struggle to find a better option than Surfshark. It boasts over 3,200 servers in over 60 countries around the world, and it can bypass region restrictions with ease.
Better still, it delivers superfast speeds with its WireGuard tunneling protocol, which makes it ideal for buffer-free streaming. And, unlike most other VPNs at this price point, it comes with unlimited simultaneous connections, so you can use it on as many devices as you like at the same time.
For all this, Surfshark is incredibly good value for money, with prices starting at just $2.49 a month. And it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it out.
ExpressVPN - ideal for unblocking region-restricted content
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3,000 servers in 94 countries|
|Current deal:||Get ExpressVPN, now 35% OFF!|
ExpressVPN is another excellent choice if you’re looking for a VPN to unblock CBC. It works really well at bypassing region restrictions on every streaming service we have tested it on. And it has over 3,000 servers in 90 countries, so you’ll have plenty of options to choose from.
Even better, ExpressVPN offers fast and reliable speeds, so it’s a great choice for streaming content. It also delivers military-grade encryption to keep your data secure, and it operates a strict no-logs policy. You’ll be able to download the ExpressVPN app on all major operating systems.
Prices start from $8.32 a month, and it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to watch CBC on your device
You can use a VPN to change your location and watch CBC from anywhere in the world. And you can do it on a huge range of devices, including smartphones, tablets, and computers.
In this section, we’ll talk you through how to use a VPN to connect to a Canadian server and access CBC on the most popular devices and operating systems.
If you need any more help, you can check out our list of most popular VPNs for devices below:
Watch CBC on a PC
If you want to watch CBC on Windows 10 or a Mac, the good news is, you don’t even need to download the app. You can access all of CBC’s content in your browser. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install a VPN on your computer. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Connect to a server in Canada.
- Go to the CBC website.
- If you still can’t access CBC content, try clearing your cookies and cache, and start again.
- Find your favorite content and start streaming!
Watch CBC on Android
If you want to watch CBC on your Android smartphone or tablet, all you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Change your app store and phone locations to Canada.
- Download and install the app for the VPN you have chosen. We recommend NordVPN because it has a great Android app.
- Create a new Google account and choose Canada as your country.
- Open or install the CBC Gem app on your device from the Google Play Store.
- Sit back, relax, and start watching your favorite CBC content.
Watch CBC on iOS (iPhone, iPad)
If you want to watch CBC from anywhere in the world, you can access it on your iPhone or iPad. Here’s how:
- Change your phone and app store locations to Canada.
- Download and install the app for the VPN you want to use. We recommend NordVPN because it has an app that works really well on iOS.
- Create a new Apple ID and select Canada as your country.
- Open or install the CBC Gem app on your iPhone or iPad from the Apple App Store.
- Start watching your favorite CBC TV shows.
How to watch CBC on streaming devices
Using a VPN to watch CBC on a streaming stick means that you will be able to enjoy all your favorite CBC content on the TV. Luckily, we have put together a guide to the best VPNs for streaming if you want to check it out.
Here, we’ll talk you through how to do this on some of the most popular streaming sticks available:
Stream CBC on Roku
Roku doesn’t support VPN apps. But, you can still connect it to a VPN via your Wi-Fi router, which will mask your IP address. Here’s how to do it:
- Sign up for a reliable VPN with plenty of Canadian servers to choose from. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Download and install the software and get it set up on your Wi-Fi router.
- Connect to a server in Canada.
- Insert your Roku stick into the HDMI port on your smart TV.
- Turn on your TV and choose CBC on the Roku home screen.
- Search for your favorite TV shows, and enjoy streaming!
Stream CBC on Kodi
It’s really easy to watch CBC on Kodi. But like Roku, Kodi doesn’t support VPN apps. However, there is a very simple way around this. Just follow these steps:
- Check that you have OpenVPN installed. If your Kodi is running on LibreELEC and OpenELEC, you should already have OpenVPN pre-installed.
- Download and install your VPN. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Add your VPN to your Kodi device. You can do this by downloading the VPN onto your computer, saving the software onto a USB stick, and then inserting it into your Kodi device.
- You will then need to go to Settings, then choose System Settings, and then hit Add-ons on your Kodi device. Switch on Unknown Sources. You will then be able to download the VPN software onto your Kodi.
- Once this is done, connect to a server in Canada.
- Switch on your TV and go to Kodi's home screen.
- Install the CBC add-on to your Kodi.
- Enjoy watching everything CBC has to offer.
Another way you can get a VPN to work with your Kodi is to connect your VPN to your Wi-Fi router. Then you will be able to access Canadian servers from wherever you are.
Stream CBC on Apple TV
Apple TV doesn’t support VPN apps. But you can get around this easily. Here’s how to connect your Apple TV to your VPN, so you can watch CBC from anywhere:
- Choose a VPN provider that supports Smart DNS. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Find out your Smart DNS addresses, and then go to the Settings menu on your Apple TV, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and select Network.
- Hit the Wi-Fi button, and select your network. Then click Configure DNS, and choose Manual Configuration.
- Enter your DNS address and restart your Apple TV
- Connect to a Canadian server.
- Download and install the CBC app on your Apple TV.
- Grab a drink and enjoy watching CBC content.
Similar to Kodi, you can also connect your Apple TV to your VPN via your Wi-Fi router. To find out more, check out our full guide on the best VPNs for Apple TV.
How to watch CBC outside Canada
With a VPN, you can access CBC from anywhere in the world. So, whether you want to watch it from the US, the UK, Australia, France, Spain, Japan, or any other country, you can use a VPN to bypass CBC’s region restrictions and watch the content you want.
All you need to do is follow this step-by-step guide:
- Choose a VPN with plenty of Canadian servers. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Download and install a VPN on your device.
- Choose a server in Canada from the list provided.
- Open or install the CBC Gem app or visit https://www.cbc.ca/ and start searching for your favorite content.
- If this doesn’t work, clear your cache and cookies and try again.
- Enjoy watching CBC!
Still can’t access CBC with a VPN?
Unfortunately, even if you’re using a VPN, there’s a small chance you might struggle to access CBC content. If this happens to you, chances are, your VPN could be to blame. If you’re using a free VPN or one that doesn’t have a good reputation, it’s less likely to be able to bypass location restrictions so you can access CBC from outside Canada.
The most important thing to do is to make sure you’re using a reliable VPN.
If you’re using a reputable VPN and you’re still unable to access CBC content, check that your VPN is running and connected to a server in Canada.
If you’ve done all this and it’s still not working, here are some possible reasons why your VPN may not be able to unblock CBC’s region restrictions:
- CBC has blacklisted the servers used by your VPN. Using a reputable VPN, such as NordVPN, should get around this issue.
- Your true IP address could be leaking.
- CBC might have upgraded its geo-blocking protocols, which is now stopping your VPN from being able to unblock the content.
- The GPS location of your device and the IP address don’t match up. You might need to change the location on your device.
- You have cookies on your device that make it apparent to CBC that you’re not in Canada.
- The VPN you’re using is not able to unblock CBC.
Luckily, we have a few solutions you can try to fix these problems:
- Make sure you’re using a VPN that has a reputation for being able to unblock geo-restrictions on content in Canada. We recommend NordVPN for this.
- Clear your cookies and cache, so your true location is harder to track.
- Connect to a different server and try to access CBC again.
- Try a different browser to see if that solves the problem.
- Search for your VPN’s leak protection setting and make sure it’s enabled.
- If all else fails, contact your VPN’s customer support team to ask for help. They will be able to check if the server you’re using is able to unblock CBC.
How to watch CBC for free
The good news is, there’s a limited amount of free CBC content available on the website that you can access from anywhere in the world. But if you want to watch everything CBC has to offer from the US or any other country outside Canada, you’ll need to pay for a VPN.
While it’s technically possible to use a free VPN, it’s certainly not something we’d recommend, particularly if you want to use it to bypass geo-restrictions on channels like CBC. Free VPNs usually get blocked by streaming platforms, so it’s very unlikely that you’d be able to use a free VPN to watch CBC.
And even if it did work, free VPNs are often a lot slower, so it wouldn’t be a good choice for streaming content. More troublingly, free VPNs usually make money by tracking user data and selling it to third parties. So it wouldn’t be a secure option.
A slightly better alternative would be to opt for a freemium, which is a free version offered by some VPNs. They aren’t always able to unblock international content, and they usually come with a monthly data cap. If you do want to give it a go, Windscribe is a reputable VPN that has a freemium service with a data cap of 10GB a month. Alternatively, if you want to use a freemium that doesn’t come with a data cap, you could try ProtonVPN, or Atlas.
What can you watch on CBC?
There are loads of great TV shows available on CBC, including live sporting events, documentaries, kids’ TV, news, and dramas.
Here’s a list of some of our favorite shows on CBC and the CBC Gem app:
|CBC shows||Number of seasons available on CBC|
|Anne With An E||3|
|Baroness Von Sketch Show||5|
|Burden of Truth||4|
|How To Buy A Baby||2|
If you want to watch CBC in the US or anywhere else outside Canada, you can do this really easily with a good VPN. This will allow you to connect to a Canadian server so that you can bypass CBC’s region restrictions.
But beyond this, a VPN is a vital tool for protecting your online privacy. It does this by encrypting your data to keep your activity safe from cybercriminals and other third parties. It will also protect your data if you connect to public Wi-Fi.
Has this guide answered all your questions? Let us know in the comments section below!
Can I access CBC in the US?
CBC isn’t available to watch in the US. However, you can use a reliable VPN to connect to a server in Canada. This will help you bypass CBC’s location restrictions and let you watch all the CBC content you like. To find out how, follow our simple step-by-step guide in the section above.
How can I watch CBC outside Canada?
You won’t be able to watch CBC outside Canada without a reputable VPN. Once you’ve got your VPN set up, all you then need to do is connect to a server in Canada. Then you’ll be able to bypass CBC’s region restrictions, which will allow you to watch all of CBC’s content. If you get stuck, follow our simple instructions earlier on in this guide.
Is CBC available on Hulu?
A lot of CBC’s TV content is available to stream on Hulu. But if you want access to CBC’s full content library, you’ll need to use a VPN to connect to a server in Canada so you can bypass the channel’s region restrictions. Then, you’ll be able to use the CBC app or website to watch all CBC’s content.
Can I watch CBC TV Live online?
Yes, provided you’re in Canada, or you’re using a VPN to connect to a Canadian server, you’ll be able to watch CBC TV Live on the CBC website or app.