Fortnite is one of the most played video games globally. But despite it being so popular players encounter issues, such as IP bans, ISP throttling, DDoS attacks, and more. Fortunately, these headaches can be solved with the help of a VPN.
With a VPN, not only your gaming experience will improve but also your overall online security and privacy.
However, to get the best out of a Fortnite VPN, it must include all essential features such as a large server fleet, fast speeds, and top-notch security. With this in mind, we have tested and listed the 5 best VPNs for Fortnite in 2023.
Top 5 best Fortnite VPNs:
- NordVPN – overall best Fortnite VPN
- Surfshark – affordable VPN for unlimited connections
- IPVanish – versatile VPN for Fortnite
- ExpressVPN – secure VPN for Fortnite gaming
- CyberGhost – Fortnite VPN with gaming-optimized servers
Why do I need a VPN for playing Fortnite?
Here are the reasons why you should get a VPN for playing Fortnite:
- Bypass IP ban. Fair gaming is fun but it’s even more fun to break rules and collect more wins, right? Well, as long as you don’t get caught. Once they catch you, your IP address gets banned and you can’t play Fortnite anymore. However, with a VPN, you can change your IP address and continue enjoying the game.
- Avoid ISP throttling. Your ISP’s habit of slowing down your network connection whenever a quick online operation is detected is one more case that a VPN can solve. With the fastest VPN, you’ll enjoy playing Fortnite lag-free.
- Reduce ping. With a VPN that offers a respectable number of servers and locations, you can choose a closer server to the Fortnite server location and reduce your ping.
- Access Fortnite from heavily-restricted locations. Places such as school or work, and countries like Iraq or China have put restrictions and even bans on Fortnite. By using a reliable VPN, such as NordVPN, you’ll be able to unblock the game from anywhere in the world.
- Prevent DDoS attacks. Whether it’s an envious player or a random cybercriminal trying to attack you with DDoS and encroach on your system, the most secure VPN will block the attempts of an attack.
Best VPNs for Fortnite - our detailed list
While there are several dozens of VPN providers that you could choose from, to get the most of Fortnite experience only the best VPN is acceptable. For a VPN to fall into those frames, it must offer you a large and geographically diverse fleet of servers, fast speeds, security, and more.
Having all this in mind, we have gathered you a list of the best 5 Fortnite VPNs in 2023.
1. NordVPN – favorite VPN for Fortnite
|Servers/countries:||5500 servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 63% OFF 🔥|
NordVPN is our best VPN for gaming and Fortnite is not an exception. Luckily, it’s not a blindly chosen first place holder. In fact, it has a bunch of benefits to offer.
First and foremost, with NordVPN, you get to choose from an incredible amount of servers and locations – 5500 servers in 60 countries, to be exact. This means you can enjoy a lag-free Fortnite game from any corner of the world.
To boost your connection speed even more, this VPN provider has chosen to implement an upgraded version of the WireGuard tunneling protocol called NordLynx). This protocol allows you to enjoy breakneck speeds and reliable protection.
Speaking of protection, NordVPN has done its best to build the safest and strongest security suite. It includes AES-256 encryption, a kill switch feature that will watch your back whenever the VPN connection drops, split tunneling, obfuscation, and more.
Finally, the price is also quite exciting for such a premium package. NordVPN is available for as low as $3.49/month. And in case you wish it to be cheaper, we always have NordVPN coupon codes to offer!
Check our NordVPN review and learn more about it.
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- A large and diverse fleet of servers
- Advanced encryption
- Kill switch feature
- 24/7 customer support
- No router app
- No free trial
2. Surfshark – Fortnite VPN with unlimited simultaneous connections
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200 servers in 100 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE 🔥|
The nomination doesn’t lie, Surfshark is indeed a Fortnite VPN which offers unlimited simultaneous connections along with the best quality to price ratio. And most importantly, the quality of this VPN serves perfectly for gaming.
Let us point out the pricing first. So, to have a reliable next-gen Surfshark VPN service, you can pay as low as $2.30/month. Additionally, you get a risk-free month within which you can try out the service and decide whether you wish to get your money back or not.
Surfshark also took care to provide you with more than enough servers and locations that will work great for Fortnite, streaming, and unblocking other globally restricted content. With it, you get 3200 servers in 100 countries.
Now, you might be wondering, why do we call this VPN a next-gen provider. It’s because it uses AES-256 GCM encryption and a respectable list of tunnels that also has WireGuard included. And finally, you get a full security bundle that covers antivirus, a safe search engine, and more.
Additionally, with this VPN, you also receive essentials, such as a kill switch feature, split tunneling, obfuscation, ad blocker, and even more exclusive ones, like an IP rotator.
To get an even better image, read our Surfshark VPN review.
- WireGuard protocol
- AES-256 GCM encryption
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Extremely cheap
- A comprehensive suite of security
- No free version
- No split tunneling on iOS
3. IPVanish – all-around VPN for Fortnite
|Based in:||The US|
|Servers/countries:||2000 servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get 72% OFF IPVanish! 🔥|
IPVanish is a Fortnite VPN that covers every possible need you could have regarding a great gaming experience. Its constantly improving suite of features won’t let you stay behind with slow speeds or banned IP addresses.
An implementation of military-grade encryption will make your network traffic pretty untouchable and to ensure that even more, you get to use the WireGuard tunnel. The latter not only grants you protection but also dashing connection speeds. Moreover, you’ll definitely find a server that’s close to you and lower your ping as this VPN covers 2000 servers in 50 countries.
A thing to point out is IPVanish’s obfuscation feature that uses the XOR cipher which makes it even harder to detect your VPN connection. Consequently, you can enjoy Fortnite stress-free in heavily-restricted countries or public locations.
And if we dig in deeper, IPVanish has even more to offer aside from top-notch obfuscation and essentials like the kill switch feature. Here, you meet some extravaganza, such as encrypted storage for storing your sensitive information.
Putting it all together, IPVanish is excellent not only for Fortnite but also for streaming, torrenting, and overall online safety. Lastly, having its services can cost you as little as $3.33/month.
Find out more about the features in our IPVanish review.
- WireGuard tunnel
- AES-256 encryption
- Geographically diverse server locations
- Obfuscation feature
- SOCKS5 proxy
- Price increases after a year
- Doesn’t work in China
4. ExpressVPN – secure VPN for Fortnite gaming
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||3000+ servers in 94 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get ExpressVPN, now 49% OFF the 1-year plan! 🔥|
Another great VPN for Fortnite gaming is ExpressVPN. Not only is this a very secure provider to protect your data, but also provides great speeds for a lag-free gaming experience.
ExpressVPN has a vast list of 3000+ servers in 94 countries, so you can pick from a variety of locations to connect from to get the lowest ping. More so, your data will be encrypted with AES-256 encryption, so it’s unhackable. And, in case of a connection loss, a reliable kill switch will shut down your internet connection.
To strengthen the security even more, there’s a Threat Manager feature that blocks all tracking and other potentially malicious activity. This feature enhances your privacy and anonymity while online.
In addition, this VPN has a proprietary Lightway protocol, which ensures reliable speeds. While this isn’t the fastest tunneling protocol, it's more than enough for a quality gaming experience without buffering or lags.
This isn’t the most budget-friendly VPN provider on our list. ExpressVPN subscription starts at $6.67/month and provides up to 5 simultaneous device connections. However, you can use the 7-day free trial and the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read more in our ExpressVPN review.
- AES-256 encryption
- Large server fleet
- Threat Manager
- Kill switch
- Unstable connections
5. CyberGhost – Fortnite VPN with gaming-optimized servers
|Locations:||9700+ servers in 91 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get CyberGhost VPN, now 83% OFF + 2 months FREE 🔥|
CyberGhost is another great option for Fortnite VPN. The main perk of this provider is that it offers specialized servers for gaming, so you don’t have to sit through lags or buffering that can cost you a win in your game.
This VPN provider has a massive server fleet, you can pick from 9700+ servers in 91 countries, so you’re certain to find the best server with the lowest ping for your needs. In addition, you can select gaming-optimized servers for a stable connection.
There’s no need to worry about your data security while using CyberGhost. Your data will be encrypted with AES-256 encryption, there’s a reliable kill switch to prevent real IP leaks, and an ad blocker to prevent malicious online threats, among other features.
CyberGhost does offer the market-standard WireGuard tunneling protocol. It will provide you with reliable speed results, so you won’t have to deal with lagging or buffering. Not to mention, the closest server to your original location you’ll pick, the better the speeds will be.
You can purchase your CyberGhost subscription for $2.19/month and get an extensive 45-day money-back guarantee. With a singular subscription, you can cover up to 7 devices.
Learn more in our CyberGhost review.
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- AES-256 encryption
- Gaming-optimized servers
- Massive server fleet
- WireGuard connection problems on macOS devices
- Apple apps have fewer features
How we selected and tested these VPNs
We made sure that for a VPN to qualify to be the best VPN for Fortnite, it has to follow these criteria:
- Servers and locations. To have a splendid and buffer-free Fortnite experience, a VPN must have a wide range of servers and locations. In this way, you won’t get stuck in an overcrowded server and you can choose a closer server to Fortnite.
- Speed. Using a VPN with sluggish network speed for Fortnite is a highway to not gaming at all. This means that only speedy VPNs should be considered.
- Security and privacy. Whether you’re deep in Fortnite or just generally browsing, the importance of staying secure and private online is undeniable. Therefore, the most secure and anonymous VPN is a must.
- Additional features. With a feature-rich VPN, you can protect yourself when a VPN connection drops, block annoying ads, unblock major streaming sites, and access other geo-restricted content like Fortnite.
- Price. A widely known tendency of overpricing the service isn’t the one we like to follow. That being said, we make sure our suggested VPNs offer the best quality to price ratio. Moreover, we make sure they also offer a money-back guarantee for a month or so.
Will Fortnite ban you for using a VPN?
Technically, no, you can’t get banned for using a VPN for Fortnite. In other words, it’s not stated in the Terms of Service that using a VPN is forbidden.
However, you can get banned if you decide to break the rules or cheat during the game while using a VPN. Breaking the rules in Fortnite might look like bullying, teaming, scamming, promoting illegal activities, and so on.
If it happens that you’ve indulged in unfair Fortnite gaming and got banned, a VPN can still help you to remove the IP ban on Fortnite. Nevertheless, the game is always better if it’s played fairly!
How to use a VPN for Fortnite
It’s a nearly effortless task to use a VPN for Fortnite. Prove yourself by following the steps below:
- Pick a reliable gaming VPN. NordVPN works the best for us.
- Download and install the VPN application to your device.
- Launch the VPN application and look for a server that is close to your game server location.
- Hit Connect or simply click on a selected server location on the map.
- Start Fortnite and enjoy protected lag-free gaming!
Fortnite keeps kicking you out? Here's how to fix it:
If you keep coming across the same notification of Fortnite kicking you out due to internet lag, VPN usage, cheating, or other reasons, here are the possible causes behind this:
- VPN use. It’s possible that your VPN software needs an update and the out-of-date configuration is messing up the game experience. Also, it can simply be that your selected VPN isn’t compatible with Fortnite.
- Dubious network connection. Fortnite requires that your internet connection should reach at least 3Mbps, otherwise you’ll not be able to play the game.
- Fortnite protocol of conduct ignorance. Fortnite is a tolerance-oriented video game, meaning they don’t tolerate any kind of players' abuse against each other. Consequently, they make sure the bullies are out of the game.
- IP ban. If you have shared your personal information, bullied, cheated, or did anything else that is forbidden, then chances are that your IP address has been banned.
Even though these issues sound rough, we have a few suggestions that can help you to get back in the game:
- Update your current VPN application to the latest version. If the issue persists, take a look at our suggested Fortnite VPNs and pick a new one. We recommend NordVPN.
- Connect to a different server in your VPN application and relaunch the game.
- Refresh your internet connection by reloading your router.
- Change your IP address by getting a VPN and connecting to one of its servers.
Where are Fortnite's servers located?
You can choose from the following Fortnite server locations:
- USA (Ohio, Oregon, Virginia, California)
- Sao Paulo, Brazil
- London, UK
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Paris, France
- Mumbai, India
- Tokyo, Japan
- South Korea
How to choose the best Fortnite server location?
The best Fornite server location is equal to the lowest ping. To get such ping, you should be as close as possible to Fortnite server locations or use a wired connection. Both solutions seem quite bothersome to accomplish.
Luckily, there’s an effortless way to enjoy the best Fortnite server location. All you need to do is get the best VPN that offers a large fleet of servers and locations (for example, NordVPN), open the VPN application, select the fastest tunneling protocol (WireGuard if available), and choose a server location that is close to or even in the exact location as the Fortnite server.
Once you’re connected to the selected server, launch the Fortnite game on your computer, mobile device, or a gaming console, and enjoy!
Tip: Connecting to the USA-based server will provide you with the best connection speeds. Most providers have the largest amount of servers in the USA and it’s less likely to come across an overcrowded server.
Can using a VPN reduce ping in Fortnite?
Yes, using a VPN can reduce your ping in Fortnite if you connect to the right tunneling protocol, such as WireGuard, you will get light-fast connection speed and boosted security. Moreover, a VPN picks a more direct route than your ISP.
Moving further, a VPN can reduce ping in cases when a player is too far from the game server location. Selecting a closer VPN server location will change the IP address and it will seem as if you’re closer to the game server.
Nevertheless, you should always keep in mind that selecting a further server location from your actual location will not make a big difference in your ping.
Can I play Fortnite with a free VPN?
Yes, you can play Fortnite with a free VPN. However, we really don’t recommend doing so. First and foremost, it’s not a safe option to go for as free VPNs tend to sell their customers’ data to third parties. Also, free VPNs use a bunch of trackers in their applications. At last, you receive insanely limited features.
Yet, if you’re looking for a way to save a penny and still use a VPN for Fortnite, then there are two options we can suggest going for. You can either go for a trustworthy freemium VPN, such as Atlas VPN, and receive limited but safe VPN services. Or you can choose one of the premium VPNs, like NordVPN, and benefit from their 30-day money-back guarantee. After all, only premium VPNs can offer you the best Fortnite experience.
Even if you’ve received the Fortnite ban, your game is restricted due to geo-blocks, or perhaps you simply can’t enjoy the game to the fullest, a VPN will help you out. All you need to do is choose a trustworthy Fortnite VPN with all the crucial features, such as large server fleet, good connection speed, strong security, and more.
Giving a shot for NordVPN will definitely improve your gaming and overall online experience.
With it, you can block ads and malicious websites, stop ISP from slowing down your network speed and enjoy all major streaming services. If Fortnite isn’t the only game that you’re oriented to, then taking a look at our best VPNs for gaming might also benefit you.
Best VPN deals this week:
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
Is it allowed to use a VPN in Fortnite?
Yes-ish, it’s allowed to use a VPN in Fortnite. That being said, there’s no rule saying that you can’t use a VPN, however, you can still get kicked out of the game, especially if you decide to break the rules.
Is NordVPN good for Fortnite?
Yes, NordVPN is good for Fortnite. Actually, it’s the best VPN you can choose for Fortnite. With it, you receive a wide range of servers and locations, the best network speed, and a top-notch suite of security.
Which VPN server is best for Fortnite?
The best VPN server for Fortnite is the one that is the closest to the game server location. However, remember that choosing a VPN and the game server locations that are far from your real location will not improve your connection speed.