Best VPNs for Fortnite in 2022
Fortnite is one of the most played video games globally. But despite it being so popular players encounter issues, such as IP bans, ISP throttling, DDoS attacks, and more. Fortunately, these headaches can be solved with the help of a VPN.
With a VPN, not only your gaming experience will improve but also your overall online security and privacy.
However, to get the best out of a Fortnite VPN, it must include all essential features such as a large server fleet, fast speeds, and top-notch security. With this in mind, we have tested and listed the 5 best VPNs for Fortnite in 2022.
Top 5 best Fortnite VPNs:
- NordVPN – overall best Fortnite VPN
- Surfshark – affordable VPN for unlimited connections
- IPVanish – versatile VPN for Fortnite
- Atlas VPN – freemium Fortnite VPN
- PrivateVPN – entertainment and security-oriented VPN
Why do I need a VPN for playing Fortnite?
Here are the reasons why you should get a VPN for playing Fortnite:
- Bypass IP ban. Fair gaming is fun but it’s even more fun to break rules and collect more wins, right? Well, as long as you don’t get caught. Once they catch you, your IP address gets banned and you can’t play Fortnite anymore. However, with a VPN, you can change your IP address and continue enjoying the game.
- Avoid ISP throttling. Your ISP’s habit of slowing down your network connection whenever a quick online operation is detected is one more case that a VPN can solve. With the fastest VPN, you’ll enjoy playing Fortnite lag-free.
- Reduce ping. With a VPN that offers a respectable number of servers and locations, you can choose a closer server to the Fortnite server location and reduce your ping.
- Access Fortnite from heavily-restricted locations. Places such as school or work, and countries like Iraq or China have put restrictions and even bans on Fortnite. By using a reliable VPN, such as NordVPN, you’ll be able to unblock the game from anywhere in the world.
- Prevent DDoS attacks. Whether it’s an envious player or a random cybercriminal trying to attack you with DDoS and encroach on your system, the most secure VPN will block the attempts of an attack.
Best VPNs for Fortnite - our detailed list
While there are several dozens of VPN providers that you could choose from, to get the most of Fortnite experience only the best VPN is acceptable. For a VPN to fall into those frames, it must offer you a large and geographically diverse fleet of servers, fast speeds, security, and more.
Having all this in mind, we have gathered you a list of the best 5 Fortnite VPNs in 2022.
1. NordVPN – favorite VPN for Fortnite
|Servers/countries:||5400 servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get NordVPN with 60% OFF! 🔥|
NordVPN is our best VPN for gaming and Fortnite is not an exception. Luckily, it’s not a blindly chosen first place holder. In fact, it has a bunch of benefits to offer.
First and foremost, with NordVPN, you get to choose from an incredible amount of servers and locations – 5400 servers in 60 countries, to be exact. This means you can enjoy a lag-free Fortnite game from any corner of the world.
To boost your connection speed even more, this VPN provider has chosen to implement an upgraded version of the WireGuard tunneling protocol called NordLynx). This protocol allows you to enjoy breakneck speeds and reliable protection.
Speaking of protection, NordVPN has done its best to build the safest and strongest security suite. It includes AES-256 encryption, a kill switch feature that will watch your back whenever the VPN connection drops, split tunneling, obfuscation, and more.
Finally, the price is also quite exciting for such a premium package. NordVPN is available for as low as $3.29/month. And in case you wish it to be cheaper, we always have NordVPN coupon codes to offer!
Check our NordVPN review and learn more about it.
- WireGuard tunneling protocol
- A large and diverse fleet of servers
- Military-grade encryption
- Kill switch feature
- 24/7 customer support
- No router app
- No free trial
2. Surfshark – Fortnite VPN with unlimited simultaneous connections
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries:||3200 servers in 65 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE! 🔥|
The nomination doesn’t lie, Surfshark is indeed a Fortnite VPN which offers unlimited simultaneous connections along with the best quality to price ratio. And most importantly, the quality of this VPN serves perfectly for gaming.
Let us point out the pricing first. So, to have a reliable next-gen Surfshark VPN service, you can pay as low as $2.30/month. Additionally, you get a risk-free month within which you can try out the service and decide whether you wish to get your money back or not.
Surfshark also took care to provide you with more than enough servers and locations that will work great for Fortnite, streaming, and unblocking other globally restricted content. With it, you get 3200 servers in 65 countries.
Now, you might be wondering, why do we call this VPN a next-gen provider. It’s because it uses AES-256 GCM encryption and a respectable list of tunnels that also has WireGuard included. And finally, you get a full security bundle that covers antivirus, a safe search engine, and more.
Additionally, with this VPN, you also receive essentials, such as a kill switch feature, split tunneling, obfuscation, ad blocker, and even more exclusive ones, like an IP rotator.
To get an even better image, read our Surfshark VPN review.
- WireGuard protocol
- AES-256 GCM encryption
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Extremely cheap
- A comprehensive suite of security
- No free version
- No split tunneling on iOS
3. IPVanish – all-around VPN for Fortnite
|Based in:||The US|
|Servers/countries:||2000 servers in 50 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get up to 63% OFF IPVanish + an Antivirus! 🔥|
IPVanish is a Fortnite VPN that covers every possible need you could have regarding a great gaming experience. Its constantly improving suite of features won’t let you stay behind with slow speeds or banned IP addresses.
An implementation of military-grade encryption will make your network traffic pretty untouchable and to ensure that even more, you get to use the WireGuard tunnel. The latter not only grants you protection but also dashing connection speeds. Moreover, you’ll definitely find a server that’s close to you and lower your ping as this VPN covers 2000 servers in 50 countries.
A thing to point out is IPVanish’s obfuscation feature that uses the XOR cipher which makes it even harder to detect your VPN connection. Consequently, you can enjoy Fortnite stress-free in heavily-restricted countries or public locations.
And if we dig in deeper, IPVanish has even more to offer aside from top-notch obfuscation and essentials like the kill switch feature. Here, you meet some extravaganza, such as encrypted storage for storing your sensitive information.
Putting it all together, IPVanish is excellent not only for Fortnite but also for streaming, torrenting, and overall online safety. Lastly, having its services can cost you as little as $3.99/month.
Find out more about the features in our IPVanish review.
- WireGuard tunnel
- AES-256 encryption
- Geographically diverse server locations
- Obfuscation feature
- SOCKS5 proxy
- Price increases after a year
- Doesn’t work in China
4. Atlas VPN – everyday Fortnite VPN at no cost
|Based in:||The US|
|Servers/countries:||750 servers in 38 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get Atlas VPN, now 81% OFF! 🔥|
Atlas VPN is a VPN that doesn’t require any additional budget sacrifices and is easy-to-use, yet still provides top-notch security and respectable speeds for Fortnite. Even better, it has both free and premium plans.
Atlas VPN is one of the best freemium VPNs that has no limitations over bandwidth and you also get 10 GB of protected data to use. But if you feel like you’re going to run out of that amount of data too fast, paying for premium services $2.05/month doesn’t seem too painful either!
Even though this VPN offers a radically smaller fleet of servers and locations (750 servers in 38 countries) and it’s more prone to face an overcrowded server, you can be sure that an implemented WireGuard tunnel will take care of your connection speed.
And just like any other best VPN, Atlas VPN also uses AES-256 encryption with a pinch of uniqueness that includes ChaCha20-Poly1305 cipher. As a result, your network traffic becomes a tough nut to crack.
To put an extra layer of security to your online safety and improve your gaming experience, Atlas VPN offers a functional kill switch feature to protect you from DDoS attacks. An IP rotator for even harder detection of your real IP address, and split tunneling are also on the list.
Get to know more from our Atlas VPN review.
- WireGuard tunnel
- AES-256 encryption
- ChaCha20 cipher
- IP rotator
- Free version
- A small selection of servers and locations
- Based in the US
5. PrivateVPN – customizable VPN for Fortnite
|Locations:||200 servers in 63 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥 Get PrivateVPN, now 85% OFF! 🔥|
Although PrivateVPN isn’t as popular as previous listed VPNs, it’s still a proper Fortnite VPN with customizable encryption and more.
PrivateVPN is one of the safest VPN options available. Primarily, it uses honorable AES-256 encryption, however, you’re allowed to customize it and choose a more lightweight AES-128 encryption.
With it, you also receive a reliable kill switch feature, HTTP and SOCKS5 proxies, and port forwarding, which is great for boosting your connection speed. Also, PrivateVPN is flawless at unblocking Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, and even DAZN – this one is one of the toughest streaming platforms to unblock.
On the downside, this VPN provider is quite short of servers and locations as it only has 200 servers in 63 countries to offer. Moreover, the best tunneling protocol they provide you with is OpenVPN, which is good but not as good as WireGuard.
Finally, PrivateVPN is one of the cheapest Fortnite VPNs. Its prices start at $2.00 per month and you’re allowed to connect up to 6 devices at once. Also, you get a month of trial as PrivateVPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee that you can easily benefit from if you feel like it.
Read our PrivateVPN review and learn more about it.
- Customizable AES encryption
- HTTP and SOCKS5 proxies
- Kill switch feature
- 6 simultaneous connections
- Very small server fleet
- No split tunneling
How we selected and tested these VPNs
We made sure that for a VPN to qualify to be the best VPN for Fortnite, it has to follow these criteria:
- Servers and locations. To have a splendid and buffer-free Fortnite experience, a VPN must have a wide range of servers and locations. In this way, you won’t get stuck in an overcrowded server and you can choose a closer server to Fortnite.
- Speed. Using a VPN with sluggish network speed for Fortnite is a highway to not gaming at all. This means that only speedy VPNs should be considered.
- Security and privacy. Whether you’re deep in Fortnite or just generally browsing, the importance of staying secure and private online is undeniable. Therefore, the most secure and anonymous VPN is a must.
- Additional features. With a feature-rich VPN, you can protect yourself when a VPN connection drops, block annoying ads, unblock major streaming sites, and access other geo-restricted content like Fortnite.
- Price. A widely known tendency of overpricing the service isn’t the one we like to follow. That being said, we make sure our suggested VPNs offer the best quality to price ratio. Moreover, we make sure they also offer a money-back guarantee for a month or so.
Will Fortnite ban you for using a VPN?
Technically, no, you can’t get banned for using a VPN for Fortnite. In other words, it’s not stated in the Terms of Service that using a VPN is forbidden.
However, you can get banned if you decide to break the rules or cheat during the game while using a VPN. Breaking the rules in Fortnite might look like bullying, teaming, scamming, promoting illegal activities, and so on.
If it happens that you’ve indulged in unfair Fortnite gaming and got banned, a VPN can still help you to remove the IP ban on Fortnite. Nevertheless, the game is always better if it’s played fairly!
How to use a VPN for Fortnite
It’s a nearly effortless task to use a VPN for Fortnite. Prove yourself by following the steps below:
- Pick a reliable gaming VPN. NordVPN works the best for us.
- Download and install the VPN application to your device.
- Launch the VPN application and look for a server that is close to your game server location.
- Hit Connect or simply click on a selected server location on the map.
- Start Fortnite and enjoy protected lag-free gaming!
Fortnite keeps kicking you out? Here's how to fix it:
If you keep coming across the same notification of Fortnite kicking you out due to internet lag, VPN usage, cheating, or other reasons, here are the possible causes behind this:
- VPN use. It’s possible that your VPN software needs an update and the out-of-date configuration is messing up the game experience. Also, it can simply be that your selected VPN isn’t compatible with Fortnite.
- Dubious network connection. Fortnite requires that your internet connection should reach at least 3Mbps, otherwise you’ll not be able to play the game.
- Fortnite protocol of conduct ignorance. Fortnite is a tolerance-oriented video game, meaning they don’t tolerate any kind of players' abuse against each other. Consequently, they make sure the bullies are out of the game.
- IP ban. If you have shared your personal information, bullied, cheated, or did anything else that is forbidden, then chances are that your IP address has been banned.
Even though these issues sound rough, we have a few suggestions that can help you to get back in the game:
- Update your current VPN application to the latest version. If the issue persists, take a look at our suggested Fortnite VPNs and pick a new one. We recommend NordVPN.
- Connect to a different server in your VPN application and relaunch the game.
- Refresh your internet connection by reloading your router.
- Change your IP address by getting a VPN and connecting to one of its servers.
Where are Fortnite's servers located?
You can choose from the following Fortnite server locations:
- USA (Ohio, Oregon, Virginia, California)
- Sao Paulo, Brazil
- London, UK
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Paris, France
- Mumbai, India
- Tokyo, Japan
- South Korea
How to choose the best Fortnite server location?
The best Fornite server location is equal to the lowest ping. To get such ping, you should be as close as possible to Fortnite server locations or use a wired connection. Both solutions seem quite bothersome to accomplish.
Luckily, there’s an effortless way to enjoy the best Fortnite server location. All you need to do is get the best VPN that offers a large fleet of servers and locations (for example, NordVPN), open the VPN application, select the fastest tunneling protocol (WireGuard if available), and choose a server location that is close to or even in the exact location as the Fortnite server.
Once you’re connected to the selected server, launch the Fortnite game on your computer, mobile device, or a gaming console, and enjoy!
Tip: Connecting to the USA-based server will provide you with the best connection speeds. Most providers have the largest amount of servers in the USA and it’s less likely to come across an overcrowded server.
Can using a VPN reduce ping in Fortnite?
Yes, using a VPN can reduce your ping in Fortnite if you connect to the right tunneling protocol, such as WireGuard, you will get light-fast connection speed and boosted security. Moreover, a VPN picks a more direct route than your ISP.
Moving further, a VPN can reduce ping in cases when a player is too far from the game server location. Selecting a closer VPN server location will change the IP address and it will seem as if you’re closer to the game server.
Nevertheless, you should always keep in mind that selecting a further server location from your actual location will not make a big difference in your ping.
Can I play Fortnite with a free VPN?
Yes, you can play Fortnite with a free VPN. However, we really don’t recommend doing so. First and foremost, it’s not a safe option to go for as free VPNs tend to sell their customers’ data to third parties. Also, free VPNs use a bunch of trackers in their applications. At last, you receive insanely limited features.
Yet, if you’re looking for a way to save a penny and still use a VPN for Fortnite, then there are two options we can suggest going for. You can either go for a trustworthy freemium VPN, such as Atlas VPN, and receive limited but safe VPN services. Or you can choose one of the premium VPNs, like NordVPN, and benefit from their 30-day money-back guarantee. After all, only premium VPNs can offer you the best Fortnite experience.
Even if you’ve received the Fortnite ban, your game is restricted due to geo-blocks, or perhaps you simply can’t enjoy the game to the fullest, a VPN will help you out. All you need to do is choose a trustworthy Fortnite VPN with all the crucial features, such as large server fleet, good connection speed, strong security, and more.
Giving a shot for NordVPN will definitely improve your gaming and overall online experience.
With it, you can block ads and malicious websites, stop ISP from slowing down your network speed and enjoy all major streaming services. If Fortnite isn’t the only game that you’re oriented to, then taking a look at our best VPNs for gaming might also benefit you.
Is it allowed to use a VPN in Fortnite?
Yes-ish, it’s allowed to use a VPN in Fortnite. That being said, there’s no rule saying that you can’t use a VPN, however, you can still get kicked out of the game, especially if you decide to break the rules.
Is NordVPN good for Fortnite?
Yes, NordVPN is good for Fortnite. Actually, it’s the best VPN you can choose for Fortnite. With it, you receive a wide range of servers and locations, the best network speed, and a top-notch suite of security.
Which VPN server is best for Fortnite?
The best VPN server for Fortnite is the one that is the closest to the game server location. However, remember that choosing a VPN and the game server locations that are far from your real location will not improve your connection speed.