How to fix Fortnite lag using a VPN
Fortnite is infamous for heavy lag – even when the internet connection is fine. There could be a lot of reasons why Fortnite is lagging but the most common one is your ISP throttling your internet. Other reasons might include improper routing, outdated drivers, an old version of the game, and many more.
The good news is that with a VPN, you can bypass ISP throttling and get rid of Fortnite lag. Plus, a VPN will allow you to switch to faster servers, beat server crowding, protect yourself from DDoS attacks, and provide overall online security.
In this article, we show you how to fix Fortnite lag problems with a VPN. We also cover the most common reasons for lagging in games, how to fix lag on PS4, and other questions. Read on to find out everything you need to know.
How to fix Fortnite lag with VPN – quick steps:
- Find a reliable gaming VPN. We suggest NordVPN, now 63% OFF.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Pick a VPN server close to your game server.
- Connect to the server and start playing Fortnite with no lag.
How can a VPN help you fix Fortnite lag?
Fortnite is immensely popular. With well over a hundred million gamers signed up, Fortnite can have tens of thousands of players online at any given time. While this adds to the thrill and fun of the game, it also means all those gamers can lead to overcrowded and congested servers, which can cause the game to lag.
A gaming VPN can help by giving you access to a huge number of fast servers that are ideal for playing Fortnite. This means you can ditch an overcrowded server and switch to a less congested, faster server. This will lower your ping, so you can say goodbye to lag.
Another reason for lag might be that your ISP is throttling your internet usage, an all too common problem for many people. A VPN helps with this too by hiding your internet use from your ISP, so they won’t be able to see how much bandwidth you’re using on gaming.
A VPN will also hide your IP address. This will keep you safe from DDoS attacks.
Why is Fortnite lagging?
Your Fortnite game can lag for many reasons, from congested servers to slow internet connections. Here’s a list of most common causes for the lagging:
- Outdated drivers. If your graphics card driver and network driver are not up-to-date, there’s a strong chance they’re causing the unwanted Fortnite lag.
- Slow Internet speed. A fast Internet connection is vital for a lag-free game of Fortnite. If you find that your games are always laggy, check your Internet speeds.
- Low-spec hardware. Fortnite has specific system requirements that your computer must meet in order for the game to play at its optimum level. If you’re running Fortnite on a device that can’t handle it, you’re likely to experience interruptions.
- Old game version. Fortnite regularly releases new drivers and updates to the game. If you don’t keep your Fortnite updated, you will be playing on an older version that might have bugs, and can lead to a laggy gaming experience.
- ISP throttling. If you’re regularly gaming and using a lot of bandwidth, there’s a chance your ISP may throttle your connection which causes the Fortnite lag.
However, there are some troubleshooting steps you can take if you’re experiencing a lot of lag in your game:
- Check your FPS (frames per second) are high enough
- See if you’re exceeding your ISP bandwidth policy
- Find a new matchmaking server
- Make sure your router is fully optimized
- Restart Fortnite
- Reinstall Fortnite
- Contact the Fortnite support team
- Get in touch with your ISP’s support team
But if none of the above-mentioned solutions helped to fix the lag, you should try using one of the best Fortnite VPNs. Our top VPN choice for both speed and consistency is NordVPN, but there are several other good choices out there.
How to fix lag in Fortnite
Using a VPN can be a great way to play Fortnite without any annoying lag problems. But Fortnite doesn’t actually want you to use a VPN. If it figures out you’re using one, you might get blocked from playing.
This can happen if you’re not using a high-quality VPN, so a quick solution would be to get a VPN that is tried and tested for Fortnite gaming. NordVPN and Surfshark are two we recommend, as both are reliable with plenty of fast servers to choose from all over the world. NordVPN has servers that are focused completely on gaming, so it’s definitely a good choice.
The best VPNs to fix Fortnite lag
We’ve carefully tested multiple different providers to compile a list of best VPNs to fix Fortnite lag. They can not only improve your gaming experience but also help remove Fortnite ban and enjoy playing from anywhere in the world.
1. NordVPN – the most reliable VPN for Fortnite
|🖥️Servers/Countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|🔥Coupons: ||NordVPN coupon 63% OFF|
NordVPN rocks over 5500+ servers in almost 60 countries, making it one of the largest VPN providers on the market. It's also a very good choice for gaming. With a 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try on the software for a month before committing to a subscription plan.
NordVPN is known for being very fast and comes with a variety of advanced security features. It's precisely what you need to keep your gaming performance at peak. You may also use the VPN on six devices simultaneously.
Read more about this provider in our full NordVPN review.
- Excellent security features
- Fast connection speeds
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Multiple servers around the world
- Unblocks popular streaming platforms
- Android-only free trial
2. Surfshark – the most affordable VPN for gaming
|🌎Based in:||The Netherlands|
|🖥️Servers/Countries:||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|🔥Coupons: ||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF|
Surfshark combines quality with a good price. There is no maximum connections limit when using the service. So, you can share your account with your whole family. Plus, there's a 30-day money-back guarantee. There is also a 7-day free trial available for Android, iOS, and macOS.
You can expect advanced security features and fast connection speeds at all times. If something doesn't work – ask the customer support agent via 24/7 live chat.
Find out more about this provider in our Surfshark VPN review.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Advanced security features
- Very fast speeds
- User-friendly apps
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No split tunnelling available on iOS
3. PureVPN – good gaming VPN with many servers
|🌎Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|🖥️Servers/countries:||6500+ servers in 78 countries|
|🔥Coupons:||PureVPN coupon 81% OFF|
PureVPN is also a good option for gaming and gives 10 simultaneous connections. Plus, it not only comes at an affordable price, but also has an impressive server fleet and delivers solid speeds. It can help you against ISP throttling to solve Fortnite's lag, as well.
You can get a 7-day trial for $0.99 or use the 31-day money-back guarantee to see whether it suits your needs. Additionally, there’s 24/7 customer support to help you with any issue at hand.
Check out our PureVPN review to learn more about its features.
- Large server selection
- Always-On Audit
- Supports multiple devices
- WireGuard support
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- Some features don’t work with WireGuard
Why is Fortnite lagging on your different devices?
People like to play Fortnite on a range of devices. Whether you’re a PC gamer with a Windows or Mac desktop, a console gamer on an Xbox or PlayStation, or a mobile gamer playing on your smartphone, you can enjoy a game of Fortnite on many platforms.
Unfortunately all these devices can still experience lag. Let’s look at what causes lag on different devices, and how you can fix it.
Why is Fortnite laggy on my Windows, Mac or laptop PC?
If you’re playing Fortnite on a desktop or laptop computer, you might suffer from lag for a variety of reasons. Here are some common reasons for lag, and potential solutions.
- Your PC might not meet the minimum requirements to run Fortnite - upgrade your hardware
- Your ISP might be throttling your internet - get a VPN to hide your activity
- You have a high ping - check your internet connection
- You’re playing on an overcrowded server - switch servers with a VPN
Why is Fortnite laggy on my Xbox or PS4 games console?
Fortnite is very popular amongst console gamers, but just because you’re playing on a PlayStation or Xbox, doesn’t mean you’re free from lag. Here are some common causes of Fortnite console lag, and potential solutions.
- Weak internet connection - switch your router on and off to see if this helps
- Playing an old version of Fortnite - check you have updated to the latest version
- Problems with server or ISP - use a VPN to switch servers or hide your online activity
It’s worth mentioning that you can’t download a VPN directly to a games console. However, what you can do is connect a VPN to your router, and then you will be able to use it on all connected devices.
Why is Fortnite laggy on my Android or iOS smartphone or tablet?
Whether you’re playing on an Android or Apple device, you can still experience a laggy game of Fortnite. Here are some reasons why, and some tips to solve the problem.
- You have an older version of Fortnite - check your updates to make sure you have the latest version
- Your internet connection is unstable - switch to your home Wi-Fi instead of using mobile data
- You have too many other apps running - close all apps on your phone and switch to Game Mode if your phone has this option
You’ll notice that a lot of Fortnite lag issues relate to ISPs, servers and internet connections. By getting a good VPN, you can bypass a lot of these issues, which makes troubleshooting Fortnite lag even easier.
Can I use a free VPN to fix Fortnite lag?
No, because free VPNs can’t reach fast speeds to help with ping and fix Fortnite lag. That’s because many people are using free services and their servers are often overcrowded.
However, if you want to fix Fortnite lag without spending money – we recommend using free trials offered by premium VPN service providers. Alternatively, they include 30-day money-back guarantee options that can extend the free usage period when the trial ends.
- NordVPN has a huge server fleet and blazing-fast speeds that can definitely help you easily avoid lagging when playing Fortnite. You can use it free of charge for 7 days on Android devices or take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee on all gadgets.
- Surfshark gives unlimited simultaneous connections and has many servers all across the globe. You can try the service out for free on macOS, iOS, and Android devices for 7 days. Alternatively, you can use the 30-day money-back guarantee as well.
Using a VPN and still feeling laggy on Fortnite?
Sometimes you can still encounter some lagging even when using a VPN. If this is the case, try the following solutions:
- Try a different VPN server. Some VPN servers might become overcrowded and cause unwanted lags when playing Fortnite. If so, try other servers until you find one with the best performance.
- Pick a server closer to your actual location. For the best speeds, it’s good to connect to a server that is not far away from your true location. Check which one you’ve picked and reconnect to a closer one if possible.
- Restart the VPN app. On some occasions there might be some technical glitches that are causing the Fortnite lag. You can often resolve them by simply restarting your VPN app.
- Switch to a more reliable VPN. If none of the above solutions worked, there’s a strong chance that you’re using an untrustworthy VPN. Then, you should consider switching to a more reliable provider.
- Reliable services
- Many servers
- 7-day free trial and 30-day money-back guarantee
Fixing lag on Fortnite – the final word
When you’re playing Fortnite, the last thing you want is a laggy game. But as we’ve talked about in this guide, Fortnite lag can come about for many reasons.
Maybe you’re on a congested server, or your ISP is throttling your service, or perhaps your hardware needs an upgrade. Maybe your Fortnite version needs updating, or you might just be having a slow internet day.
There are many reasons you might be experiencing lag, and there are many solutions, but one that stands out as an answer for a number of lag causes is using a reputable VPN, like NordVPN.
From switching servers, to hiding your bandwidth usage from your ISP and masking your IP address for security reasons, a VPN can help you play the best game of Fortnite possible.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How to Remove a Fortnite IP Ban & Get Unbanned: get back into the game with these solutions
How to Unblock Minecraft from Anywhere: access your worlds from any part of the world
How to Change PSN Region on PS4 and PS5: play as though you're from the other corner of the globe
How to Fix Warzone lag using a VPN: connect to fast servers and speed up your game
How to fix Apex Legends lag: bypass lag with the help of a VPN
How to get Xbox Game Pass Ultimate cheaper: easy to follow instructions that will help you save some money
How can you fix Fortnite lag on a computer?
There are many ways to fix Fortnite lag on a computer. The first thing to do is download and install a reliable VPN so you can pick a fast server that’s dedicated to Fortnite gaming and free from overcrowding issues.
How to fix Fortnite connection lag?
You can fix Fortnite lag with a few simple troubleshooting steps. Switch your router on and off. Update your game version. Use a VPN to find the best server for the game and get around ISP throttling. NordVPN is especially good for gaming.
Can you play Fortnite with VPN?
Although Fortnite doesn’t like you to use a VPN, a reputable VPN with lots of servers will help you bypass this. A VPN will let you switch to fast servers to avoid lag, mask your IP address, and keep your online usage hidden from your ISP.
Here's what you can try doing to fix the lag:
1. Update the Nintedo system on your Swtich;
2. The issue could be with VPN servers, so try setting up your VPN on a router and switching up the servers you're connecting to.
3. Check your internet connection - most lag problems arise from the internet not being fast enough.
4. Remove any unnecessary apps from your device.
We hope this helps!
Games – particularly online games – can lag for a bunch of different reasons, starting with your hardware and software, and ending with your connection. All these issues have different solutions, one of which is using a VPN. With that in mind, it may well be that your lag is being caused by something a VPN can’t help with. I’d firstly recommend figuring out what the culprit for your lag is. Perhaps there’s a simple solution.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked