Fortnite is infamous for heavy lag – even when the internet connection is fine. There could be a lot of reasons why Fortnite is lagging but the most common one is your ISP throttling your internet. Other reasons might include improper routing, outdated drivers, an old version of the game, and many more.
The good news is that with a VPN, you can bypass ISP throttling and get rid of Fortnite lag. Plus, a VPN will allow you to switch to faster servers, beat server crowding, protect yourself from DDoS attacks, and provide overall online security.
In this article, we show you how to fix Fortnite lag problems with a VPN. We also cover the most common reasons for lagging in games, how to fix lag on PS4, and other questions. Read on to find out everything you need to know.
How to fix Fortnite lag with VPN – quick steps:
Why do you need a VPN to fix Fortnite lag?
Fortnite can have tens of thousands of players online at any given time. It also means all those gamers can lead to overcrowded and congested servers, which can cause the game to lag.
A gaming VPN can help by giving you access to a huge number of fast servers that are ideal for playing Fortnite. This means you can ditch an overcrowded server and switch to a less congested, faster server. This will lower your ping, so you can say goodbye to lag.
Another reason for lag might be that your ISP is throttling your internet usage, an all too common problem for many people. A VPN helps with this too by hiding your internet use from your ISP, so they won’t be able to see how much bandwidth you’re using on gaming.
A robust VPN will also hide your IP address. This will keep you safe from DDoS attacks.
Why is Fortnite lagging?
Your Fortnite game can lag for many reasons, from congested servers to slow internet connections. Here’s a list of most common causes for the lagging:
- Outdated drivers. If your graphics card driver and network driver are not up-to-date, there’s a strong chance they’re causing the unwanted Fortnite lag.
- Slow internet speed. A fast internet connection is vital for a lag-free game of Fortnite. If you find that your games are always laggy, check your internet speeds.
- Low-spec hardware. Fortnite has specific system requirements that your computer must meet in order for the game to play at its optimum level. If you’re running Fortnite on a device that can’t handle it, you’re likely to experience interruptions.
- Old game version. Fortnite regularly releases new drivers and updates to the game. If you don’t keep your Fortnite updated, you will be playing on an older version that might have bugs, and can lead to a laggy gaming experience.
- ISP throttling. If you’re regularly gaming and using a lot of bandwidth, there’s a chance your ISP may throttle your connection which causes the Fortnite lag.
However, there are some troubleshooting steps you can take if you’re experiencing a lot of lag in your game:
- Check your FPS (frames per second) are high enough
- Check whether your device has the right system requirements
- Disable background programs
- Turn off power saving mode
- See if you’re exceeding your ISP bandwidth policy
- Find a new matchmaking server
- Make sure your router is fully optimized
- Restart Fortnite
- Reinstall Fortnite
- Contact the Fortnite support team
- Get in touch with your ISP’s support team
But if none of the above-mentioned solutions helped to fix the lag, you should try using one of the best Fortnite VPNs.
The best VPNs to fix Fortnite lag
We’ve carefully tested multiple different providers to compile a list of best VPNs to fix Fortnite lag. They can not only improve your gaming experience but also help remove Fortnite ban and enjoy playing from anywhere in the world. Here are best 3 VPNs for fixing Fortnite lagging:
- NordVPN – the most reliable VPN to fix Fortnite lag
- Surfshark – the most affordable VPN for fixing Fortnite lag
- PureVPN – great VPN for dealing with Fortnite lag
Five methods to fix Fortnite lag
You can fix Fortnite lag using a few methods. Before you give up on the game, you can simply try exiting all background programs. If that doesn’t help, you can try out the steps provided below.
Use a VPN
A VPN can help bypass issues with your Internet connection. For instance, if your ISP is throttling your connection speeds while gaming, a VPN will prevent that by hiding your traffic.
Getting a VPN also guarantees safety from DDoS attacks by changing your IP address. During our tests, NordVPN turned out to be one of the fastest VPNs for gaming as well as the one that’s most recommended by Reddit users.
Change rendering mode
The Performance – Lower Graphical Fidelity mode allows gamers with less powerful devices to play the game while maintaining a smooth framerate. You can enable this mode straight from the game. Here’s a quick step-by-step tutorial:
- Launch Fortnite
- Go to the Menu and find Rendering mode under Display settings
- Change the mode to Performance – Lower Graphical Fidelity and click Apply
- Restart Fortnite and that’s it
Update graphic drivers
Graphic driver manufacturers continuously update their technology to fix any bugs and improve performance. So gamers should make sure their graphic drivers are always up to date to avoid any lagging.
You can find the latest graphic driver updates depending on your manufacturer here:
Change the power mode on your computer
If your computer is put on power saving mode, this can interfere with Fortnite performance and graphics. For Windows users, all it takes is simply sliding the battery mode in the control panel to max capacity. Meanwhile, mac users can find Battery preferences under the battery section and untick the Low power mode box.
Prevent device overheating
If Fortnite starts lagging only after playing for a few hours, make sure your computer isn’t overheating. If it is, try cleaning your device’s fans to allow easier air flow. This way, you’re not risking damaging hardware.
Why is Fortnite lagging on your different devices?
People like to play Fortnite on a range of devices. Whether you’re a PC gamer with a Windows or Mac desktop, a console gamer on an Xbox or PlayStation, or a mobile gamer playing on your smartphone, you can enjoy a game of Fortnite on many platforms.
Unfortunately all these devices can still experience lag. Let’s look at what causes lag on different devices, and how you can fix it.
Why is Fortnite laggy on my Windows or Mac?
If you’re playing Fortnite on a desktop or laptop computer, you might suffer from lag for a variety of reasons. Here are some common reasons and potential solutions for lagging.
- Your PC might not meet the minimum requirements to run Fortnite – upgrade your hardware
Your ISP is throttling your internet speeds whenever you’re gaming to lower bandwidth usage – connect to a VPN to hide your online activities. For example, NordVPN has one of the biggest server fleets to help conceal your traffic
- You have a high ping – check your internet connection
- You’re playing on an overcrowded server – switch servers with a VPN
Why is Fortnite laggy on my Xbox or PS4 games console?
Fortnite is very popular amongst console gamers, but just because you’re playing on a PlayStation or Xbox, doesn’t mean you’re free from lag. Here are some common causes of Fortnite console lag and potential solutions.
- Weak internet connection – switch your router on and off to see if this helps
- Playing an old version of Fortnite – check you have updated to the latest version
Problems with ISP throttling while gaming – use a VPN to hide your online activity, like NordVPN which has a traffic obfuscation feature for completely anonymous browsing
It’s worth mentioning that you can’t download a VPN directly to a games console. However, what you can do is connect a VPN to your router, and then you will be able to use it on all connected devices.
Why is Fortnite laggy on my Android or iOS smartphone or tablet?
Whether you’re playing on an Android or Apple device, you can still experience a laggy game of Fortnite. Here are some reasons why, and some tips to solve the problem.
- You have an older version of Fortnite – check your updates to make sure you have the latest version
- Your internet connection is unstable – switch to your home Wi-Fi instead of using mobile data
- You have too many other apps running – close all apps on your phone and switch to Game Mode if your phone has this option
You’ll notice that a lot of Fortnite lag issues relate to ISPs and internet connections. By getting a good VPN, you can bypass a lot of these issues, which makes troubleshooting Fortnite lag even easier.
Can I use a free VPN to fix Fortnite lag?
No, because free VPNs can’t reach fast speeds to help with ping and fix Fortnite lag. That’s because many people are using free services and their servers are often overcrowded.
However, if you want to fix Fortnite lag without spending money – we recommend using free trials offered by premium VPN service providers. Alternatively, they include 30-day money-back guarantee options that can extend the free usage period when the trial ends.
- NordVPN has a huge server fleet and blazing-fast speeds that can definitely help you easily avoid lagging when playing Fortnite. You can use it free of charge for 7 days on Android devices or take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee on all gadgets.
- Surfshark gives unlimited simultaneous connections and has many servers all across the globe. You can try the service out for free on macOS, iOS, and Android devices for 7 days. Alternatively, you can use the 30-day money-back guarantee as well.
Using a VPN and still feeling laggy on Fortnite?
Sometimes you can still encounter some lagging even when using a VPN. If this is the case, try the following solutions:
- Try a different VPN server. Some VPN servers might become overcrowded and cause unwanted lags when playing Fortnite. If so, try other servers until you find one with the best performance.
- Pick a server closer to your actual location. For the best speeds, it’s good to connect to a server that is not far away from your true location. Check which one you’ve picked and reconnect to a closer one if possible.
- Restart the VPN app. On some occasions there might be some technical glitches that are causing the Fortnite lag. You can often resolve them by simply restarting your VPN app.
- Switch to a more reliable VPN. If none of the above solutions worked, there’s a strong chance that you’re using an untrustworthy VPN. Then, you should consider switching to a more reliable provider.
Fixing lag on Fortnite – the final word
When you’re playing Fortnite, the last thing you want is a laggy game. But as we’ve talked about in this guide, Fortnite lag can come about for many reasons.
Maybe you’re on a congested server, or your ISP is throttling your service, or perhaps your hardware needs an upgrade. Maybe your Fortnite version needs updating, or you might just be having a slow internet day.
There are many reasons you might be experiencing lag, and there are many solutions, but one that stands out as an answer for a number of lag causes is using a reputable VPN, like NordVPN.
From switching servers, to hiding your bandwidth usage from your ISP and masking your IP address for security reasons, a VPN can help you play the best game of Fortnite possible.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How can you fix Fortnite lag on a computer?
There are many ways to fix Fortnite lag on a computer. The first thing to do is download and install a reliable VPN so you can pick a fast server that’s dedicated to Fortnite gaming and free from overcrowding issues.
How to fix Fortnite connection lag?
You can fix Fortnite lag with a few simple troubleshooting steps. Switch your router on and off. Update your game version. Use a VPN to find the best server for the game and get around ISP throttling. NordVPN is especially good for gaming.
Can you play Fortnite with VPN?
Although Fortnite doesn’t like you to use a VPN, a reputable VPN with lots of servers will help you bypass this. A VPN will let you switch to fast servers to avoid lag, mask your IP address, and keep your online usage hidden from your ISP.
How do I stop Fortnite from lagging?
There are multiple ways to stop Fortnite from lagging. One of the fastest ways is to use a VPN, like NordVPN, especially if you’re experiencing ISP throttling. But you can also try other Fortnite lag fixes, such as disabling background programs, updating graphic drivers, verifying system requirements as well as the integrity of game files, and more
Why is my ping so high in Fortnite but my internet is good?
If your internet connection seems good but the ping is still high in Fortnite, it could be caused by an outdated driver. Go to your device manager, expand the Network adapter list, and right click to update your driver.