There might be numerous reasons why you wish to change your Apple location. Most commonly, this is done to bypass the geo-restrictions on platforms like Netflix, HBO, Disney+, etc., and access content from all over the world. Additionally, by changing your iPhone location, you can hide your actual location from hackers or nosey individuals and protect your online privacy.
While Apple doesn’t make this easy for you, the good news is that a reputable VPN is enough. It will give you a new IP address from the chosen location and encrypt your data, so you’ll be able to access geo-restricted content while remaining safe.
So in this guide, we'll explain how to change your location on an iPhone with the help of a VPN and what to do if you can't get it to work.
How to change your location on iPhone with a VPN?
- Choose a reputable VPN with an iOS app. We recommend NordVPN - SAVE 68%.
- Download and install the software and complete the sign-up process.
- Connect to a server in the location you want.
- Enjoy accessing content, sites, and services from another part of the world.
Why would you change your iPhone location?
Even though iPhones have some security features, a VPN is an essential cybersecurity tool for any Apple device. Here are the main benefits of changing your iPhone location using a VPN:
- Accessing different versions of your favorite streaming services. Most streaming platforms, including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney Plus, offer different content catalogs in each country to comply with local licensing laws and distribution rights. By changing the IP address on your iPhone, you’ll be able to bypass these region restrictions so you can unblock different content libraries.
- Accessing streaming services that aren’t available where you are. Whether you want to watch BBC iPlayer from outside the UK, or HBO Max from outside the US, changing your location will unlock a whole world of streaming services that wouldn’t be available to you otherwise.
- Changing your IP address on apps. There are loads of apps that see where you are in the world, including location-based games like Pokemon Go, along with dating apps and social media apps, such as Tinder, Snapchat, and My Friends.
- Working remotely. You can stay connected to your work systems securely without threat actors taking a peek.
- Accessing cheaper deals. You can often access cheaper flights and hotels in different countries. So, changing your IP address will let you access different deals from other parts of the world, allowing you to save some money.
- Keeping your location private. If you’re worried about apps such as Google, Facebook, and Instagram knowing where you are, you might want to use a VPN to hide your true location.
- Online traffic will be encrypted. This means that it can’t be accessed by hackers, government bodies, or advertisers. This is especially important on an iPhone, as you’re more likely to use it to connect to public wifi while you’re out and about. After all, these connections are usually non-secure and will make it easy for cybercriminals to hack your personal information.
And as if that wasn’t good enough, a VPN will also prevent your internet service provider (ISP) from throttling your speeds.
Best VPNs to change your location on iPhone
There’s a broad variety out there when it comes to VPNs. But not all VPNs work on an iPhone. And not only this, but the features, speed, and even the security on offer vary wildly between providers.
Luckily, we’ve tested out loads of VPNs and compiled a list of the best VPNs for changing location on iOS. Each of them offers excellent security, fast speeds, and plenty of extra features, along with an easy-to-use iPhone app. And best of all, they all come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try them out before committing to a long-term payment plan.
Be sure to check out our guide to the best VPNs for iPhone.
Or check our round-up of our favorite VPNs to change your location on iPhone:
- NordVPN – best VPN for changing your location on iPhone with 5500+ servers worldwide
- Surfshark – affordable VPN with an iOS app and unlimited connections
- Atlas VPN – feature-rich VPN for changing your iPhone location
📢 LIMITED OFFER: Get NordVPN, only now 68% OFF!
How to change your location on your iPhone without jailbreaking
Changing your location on your iPhone is really easy. And you don’t even need to download a jailbreaking app on your device. Just follow our step-by-step instructions:
- Download and install a VPN app from the Apple App Store. We recommend NordVPN because it has an excellent iOS app.
- Connect to a server in the location of your choice.
- Clear your iPhone’s cache and cookies. They can include some identifying information about your actual location.
- Start accessing the content you want.
This step-by-step guide also works with Android smartphones, such as Samsung, Google, or OnePlus.
How to test if your VPN works?
To make sure that the VPN you’re using works, we recommend testing it:
- Note down your IP address before connecting to a VPN connection.
- Connect to a selected VPN server and go to the IP test website to check the IP address.
- If the VPN connection is established successfully, the new IP address will appear, meaning your VPN is working.
That’s it! Now you can browse safely from your selected location.
Can you change your GPS location on your iPhone?
There are many guides and apps offering to change your GPS location on your iPhone. We tested them all out – and are yet to find an option that reliably works with the world’s most popular apps.
That’s because Apple is known for its closed ecosystem with a lot of restrictions. Methods that work on Android devices and Windows computers do not always work on an iPhone. Of course, that doesn’t stop app makers from creating dozens of “change iPhone GPS location” apps in the App Store.
Of course, the promises are empty. Some of the apps work purely as gimmicks, meant to create fake screenshots of you in Hawaii, others are more malicious – asking you to pay money for a service they can’t really provide. In this case, we would recommend using a reliable VPN service, like NordVPN.
There are some ways that can actually work, but they’ll also involve jailbreaking your iPhone in order to access apps like iOS Roaming Guide. However, jailbreaking is a risky process and even then, there’s no 100% guarantee that it will actually work as you intend. We experienced connection drops and the constant possible danger of getting caught and our accounts banned permanently.
While in theory it’s possible to change your iPhone GPS location, prepare for plenty of fake apps or difficult processes that are not fully guaranteed to work.
Is it legal to change your location on your iPhone?
It’s perfectly legal to change the location on your iPhone. That is, if you're using a VPN. However, it’s important to remember that you can’t make purchases on the Apple App Store without a valid payment method and address from that region.
Can’t change location on your iPhone with a VPN?
If you’ve downloaded a VPN from the Apple App Store and you still can’t change your location, it might be that your VPN isn’t working, or that you’ve connected to a server in the wrong region.
If you’ve ruled these things out, you might be experiencing one of the following issues:
- You have an older iPhone, iPad, or iPod that’s no longer compatible with your VPN.
- Your true IP address could be leaking.
- Cookies on your iPhone could be showing your true location.
- Your VPN can’t bypass the region restrictions for the site or service you want to access.
- The GPS location on your iPhone doesn’t match the IP address on your VPN.
To solve these problems, try the following options:
- Make sure you have IP leak protection settings enabled on your VPN.
- Use a different browser.
- Clear your cache and cookies.
- Connect to a different server.
- Contact your VPN’s customer service team.
If all this fails, it might be time to upgrade your VPN. For recommendations, check our list of the best VPNs for iPhones earlier in this guide.
Change iPhone location with a free VPN
While some free VPNs may help you change your IP address, it’s not something we’d recommend. Free VPNs don’t tend to have iOS apps. And even if you can find one that works on your iPhone, it will be slower and have much less functionality than a paid-for service.
Even more worryingly, free VPNs are less secure, as they often make money by selling customer data to third parties. And they often come with data caps, which will limit how much you can use the VPN.
If you want to try out a free VPN for your iPhone, Atlas VPN and ProtonVPN both have apps available in the Apple App Store. You will be able to easily change your location on iPhone 11, 12,13, and all the other earlier or later models. However, be mindful that free VPNs usually have very few server locations to choose from. This will limit your options when trying to access geo-restricted content.
To solve that you can opt for freemium providers like NordVPN or Surfshark, which both offer free trials and 30-day money-back guarantees:
- NordVPN comes with a free 7-day trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you wish to make use of this offer, simply download the NordVPN app, create an account, and initiate a free trial.
- Surfshark also comes with a 7-day free trial option and a 30-day money-back guarantee. To enjoy the offer, all you need to do is download the Surfshark app and create a new account.
Although changing your IP address on your iPhone can seem difficult, it’s actually really easy. And you can do it without jailbreaking your device or downloading a GPS spoofing app, which may be unreliable, and even unsafe.
All you need to do is download a strong VPN app from the Apple App Store and use it to connect to a server in your chosen location. You’ll then get an IP address from that country, which will enable you to bypass region restrictions on streaming services, work systems, and apps.
As if that wasn’t good enough, a VPN will also improve your online security by encrypting your data so it’s safe from online hackers and other third parties. It’ll also help you avoid ISP throttling, and it’ll keep you safe if you connect to public wifi when using your iPhone.
Has this guide answered all your questions on changing your iPhone’s location? Let us know in the comments section below if you need any further guidance, and one of our experts can help you.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
Can you fake your location on your iPhone?
Yes, you can fake your location on your iPhone by using a VPN that will allow you to connect to a server in a different country so that your iPhone is issued with an IP address from that region. This will make it appear as though you’re in that country, allowing you to bypass region restrictions and spoof your iPhone’s location.
How do you know if your VPN is working on your iPhone?
If you’ve used a VPN to connect to a server in another country but you still can’t unblock the content you want, check your iPhone’s IP address. You can do this by searching What’s my IP address on Google and check that it matches the IP address on your VPN.
What’s the best VPN for iPhone?
NordVPN is our pick for the best VPN for iPhone because it has the best iOS app we’ve tested. It’s really easy to use and has a raft of additional features, including a kill switch, which isn’t something that’s included on many iOS VPN apps.
Can I manually change my location on my iPhone?
You can change your location on your iPhone’s settings and in your App Store settings. However, to access content or download apps from that location, you'll have to create a new Apple ID account. Luckily, it’s remarkably straightforward to change your IP address. Just download a reliable VPN, connect to a server in your preferred location, and it will bypass those restrictions.
How to change iPhone location without a VPN?
It’s fairly simple to change your iPhone’s location without a VPN. Even though it's not going to be powered up by the perks of a VPN, your location can be switched by adjusting your device’s settings – manually entering a new location or enabling the iPhone to detect the location automatically.
Is it legal to change your location on your iPhone?
Yes, it’s perfectly legal to change the location on your iPhone. That is, if you're using a VPN. However, it’s important to remember that you can’t make purchases on the Apple App Store without a valid payment method and address from that region.