How to change your location on Android in 2023
Changing your location on Android offers various advantages, including exploring location-specific content, finding popular attractions for your trips, and accessing region-restricted apps while traveling. However, relying solely on GPS-changing apps may not effectively change your Android location or ensure online safety. This can even put your security at risk!
A VPN is the most effective and safest location changer that hides your real IP address on your Android. Not only will a VPN unblock geo-restricted content, but it will also keep your online activity anonymous and your device safe. A VPN will also block ads, encrypt your data, and allow you to access remote work while traveling.
In this article, we will present you with the best VPN options, enabling you to change your location on Android easily. Our step-by-step guide will walk you through the process, ensuring you have the knowledge to effectively modify your GPS location and enjoy the benefits it brings.
How to change location on Android with VPN
- Download a reliable VPN. We recommend NordVPN – get with 69% discount!
- Install the VPN on your device
- Launch the VPN application and login
- Connect to a server in a location of your choice
VPNs that work with Android
There are lots of VPN providers on the market to choose from. To help you narrow them down, we’ve put together a list of our three favorite VPN options for Android that have server locations in a number of countries and convenient apps for Android OS:
- NordVPN – the best VPN for Android devices, offers servers in 60 countries and costs only $2.99/month
- Surfshark – good price and feature rich VPN, 100 countries for only $1.99/month
- Atlas VPN – great free VPN for Android, 42 countries that starts from $1.64/month
To find out more, check our best VPNs for Android article.
Why would you change your Android location?
Whether you want to change your location on a dating app or play a location-based game like Pokemon GO, you can trick your phone into thinking you’re already in that country without actually traveling there. Here are more reasons why you would change your Android location:
|Hide your real location||Stay anonymous and extra secure|
|Access better deals||Use international discounts as if you’re in that country|
|Bypass geo-blocks||Access foreign content that’s unavailable in your location|
|Access remote work while traveling||Trick your device into thinking you’re back home and access work platforms from anywere|
- Hide your real location. Many apps request access to your location. For security reasons, you may wish to hide your true location. Alternatively, you may be unable to access certain features on said apps unless you appear to be in a specific location.
- Access better deals. If there is a website or app that has a special promotion for users based in the US and you’re based in Italy, there’s no way you can get that offer. However, with a VPN you can fake your Android GPS location and make it look like you’re in the US to get your discount.
- Bypass geo-blocks. Apps like Netflix and Pokemon GO are subject to location-specific restrictions. By faking your Android GPS location, you can bypass these geo-blocks and unlock content around the world.
- Access your work platforms while traveling. On holiday but need to access your work? You may find that you can’t get into your accounts when traveling because of location-based restrictions. Faking your Android GPS location and tricking your device into thinking you are back home could be the way to get around this issue.
How to change your location on Android device: detailed instructions
Changing your Android location is very simple when you use a VPN. Whether you use Samsung, Sony, Huawei, or another model, these steps will help you change your location in a few clicks:
- Download a reliable VPN. We recommend NordVPN, now 69% OFF
- Install the VPN on your Android device
- Open up the application and connect to a server in another country
- Your Android location will now be changed!
Why should you use a VPN for Android?
VPN for changing location on Android helps not only spoof your actual location but also provides high-level protection at all times. However, to change your location easily and get the best out of a VPN, it should include such factors and features:
|Servers||Many locations and servers|
|Android app||Intuitive, feature-rich|
|Features||Obfuscation, kill switch|
|Privacy||Independently audited no-logs policy|
- Servers. You should only select a VPN with a massive server fleet that covers as many countries as possible. If you need a VPN to change location on Android, this is one of the main factors you should be looking for.
- Android app. To get the best out of a VPN, first – make sure that your selected provider has an app for Android. Next, ensure it has an intuitive interface and includes features that you need for changing your location on Android.
- Features. Look for a VPN that has an obfuscation feature which conceals the fact you’re using a VPN. It’s also a big plus if the provider includes a kill switch that prevents data leaks in case your VPN connection drops. These features allow you to surf online without telling your actual location, and it doesn’t give away that you’re using a VPN which many platforms may block.
- Privacy. Make sure your VPN runs with an independently audited no-logs policy. Such a factor proves that it’s a privacy-oriented VPN that doesn’t collect any of your activity logs.
- Encryption. While servers and features are important, it’s also essential that a VPN safeguards your online activities with unbreakable AES-256 encryption. VPN will help you change Android location and keep your identity safe at all times.
Is it legal to change your IP address on your Android?
Yes, it is legal to change your location on Android. VPN not only helps change your IP address but also preserves your privacy so nobody can see your actual location and put your safety at risk.
There are alternative methods, such as GPS spoofing apps or proxies available, but unfortunately, they lack essential security features that come standard with a VPN. Therefore, selecting a reliable Android VPN is a more secure choice, ensuring anonymity and a robust level of protection.
Keep in mind that even though it’s legal to change your IP address with a VPN on Android, it won’t help you if you do it for illegal purposes. In short, a VPN doesn’t make illegal activities legal.
Can’t seem to change the location on your Android with a VPN?
There are a few explanations as to why you are unable to change the location on your Android with a VPN. Fortunately, for every possible problem - we have a solution. Read on to find out more:
Potential reasons why you can’t change your location:
- Your real IP address is leaking
- The GPS location on your device doesn’t match your IP address
- Cookies on your browser are revealing your true location
- The VPN you are using can’t bypass the restrictions you are trying to overcome
When faced with these problems, you can try the following solutions:
- Change your VPN provider
- Enable the leak protection settings on your VPN
- Contact customer support for your VPN
- Try a different browser
- Toggle Location Services On and Off
Change Android location with a free VPN
If you consider a free VPN to change location on Android, we don’t recommend it. Although it can be tempting to use one of these to spoof your Android location, free services tend to fund their costs with targeted ads or through the sale of your data. They are also known for being super slow.
In addition, most of these free VPN providers are unable to bypass basic geo-restrictions due to a low server count. It means that it can be very difficult to change your Android location.
However, if you still want to use a free VPN for Android to change location, use a freemium. This is a free version of a paid VPN. Free plans are usually quite limited in their offerings and lack the basic security features that you need to keep your data and device safe. If we had to recommend a freemium service, however, we’d suggest Atlas VPN or ProtonVPN - which both come without data caps.
How to change location on Android without a VPN
Changing location on Android is doable in several ways besides using a VPN. You may use a proxy server, which, unlike a VPN, doesn’t encrypt your traffic but changes your Android location. A similar option would be a dedicated GPS spoofing app. But these options are better to be paid for, while you can also change your Android location for free by adjusting your device settings. Here’s how:
How to turn off your Location on Android:
- Head to the Settings section
- Find the Location option
- Toggle the Location switch off to no longer use GPS signals for the Location Mode
How to adjust your Android location accuracy:
- Navigate to the Settings menu
- Choose the Location option
- Enable the Location toggle
- Click Mode or Locating Method
- Choose the method from these options: High Accuracy (detected location through GPS, Wi-Fi, and mobile networks); Battery Saving (detected location through Wi-Fi and mobile networks); GPS Only
From bypassing geo-blocks on games and apps to hiding your real location for security reasons or accessing remote work while abroad - changing your Android location can serve many functions.
The safest and most effective method for changing your Android location is by using a reputable VPN. Alongside changing your location, a VPN keeps your data and your device safe. Most reputable VPN providers come with a host of security benefits that will protect your identity whilst changing your location on Android. We believe that the most reliable VPN option on the market today is NordVPN.
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How can I fake my location on Android?
To fake your location on your Android, you can download a VPN and connect to a server in a different location. This will change your IP address and fake your location.
How do I hide my location on an Android device?
Once you’ve installed a VPN on your Android device, you can use it to override your GPS location - effectively hiding your true location.
How do I know if a VPN is working on my Android device?
Most Android devices will display a little symbol in the status bar when connected to a VPN. You can also test if it is working by trying to access content that is geo-blocked in your real location.
What is the best VPN for Android?
We believe that NordVPN is the most reliable VPN to use on Android. However, we also highly rated Surfshark and IPVanish. You can find out more about each of these providers earlier in the article.
Does having a VPN turned-on affects my location-based services?
Yes, VPN can affect your location-based services. If these particular service require to know your actual location, they might block the service due to regional restrictions. If it’s the case, you can switch to a server in your country. It will allow you to use the location-based service securely and anonymously as you’ll have a different IP address than your original one.
Is there a software to change Android phone location?
Yes, there is a software to change your Android phone location, like a VPN or GPS spoofing programs. While GPS spoofing software can change your location, it won’t be able to do it securely. We recommend choosing a reliable VPN, like , to change your Android phone location safely.
How do I change my IP address on my Android phone without VPN?
You can change your IP address on your Android phone without a VPN by using a GPS spoofing app. Additionally, you can use a proxy to hide your IP address or ask your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to get you a new one. However, these options won’t secure your online activities and they won’t let you choose a new location freely. Therefore, we still recommend a VPN like NordVPN which includes 5,900+ servers in 60 countries for you to change the location in an eye blink for just $2.99/month.