How to spoof Pokemon GO location in 2022
Depending on where you live, you may be limited to certain Pokemon types that you can catch. Finding Gyms or PokeStops might also be an issue, which could really slow down your progress. However, there’s a workaround. You can solve this with Pokemon GO spoofing.
It’s possible to change Pokemon GO location by combining GPS spoofing apps (sometimes called Pokemon GO spoofers) with a decent VPN app like NordVPN. This way, you can hunt in your hometown and find creatures, such as the shiny Pokemon or the newest and quick fan-favorite adorable Lechonk.
While there are many tips for Pokemon GO spoofing on Reddit, this guide contains the best tried-and-tested methods for Android and iPhone in 2022.
In this article, I’ll take you through the process of how to spoof your location on Pokemon GO. So read on for everything you need to know.
How to spoof Pokemon GO location ?
- Choose and download a VPN - we suggest NordVPN, now 68% OFF!
- Download a GPS spoofing app
- Choose a VPN server location
- Download and play Pokémon GO
- Use your GPS spoofing app to explore your new area
Why do you need a VPN to spoof location on Pokemon GO?
While it's not entirely clear what methods Pokemon GO uses to find your real position, there's a strong possibility that the game determines your spot by checking your IP address. It can also look at the GPS coordinates of your mobile device and check that they match the area of your IP address. If you are found to be cheating, Pokemon GO can ban you from playing.
A VPN means you can avoid being identified by your IP address. This helps you mask your location within Pokemon GO. Once you've used GPS spoofing to change your region, you will be able to access Pokemon which would have been impossible for you to find otherwise!
As well as hiding your online activity, a VPN uses powerful encryption that keeps you safe from hackers and other third parties. For that, you need a very secure VPN solution – we recommend spoofing Pokemon GO location with the highly-rated NordVPN.
- Disclaimer: GPS spoofing may require you to root or jailbreak your phone. This can void your warranty or damage the device, so proceed at your own risk!
How to change Pokemon GO GPS location on your device with a VPN
Changing your location on Pokemon GO varies depending on the device that you are using. After downloading and installing a VPN, you will also need to install a GPS spoofing app.
Change Pokemon GO Spoofing on Android
Learning how to spoof your Pokemon GO on Android is easy. Just follow the steps below:
- Choose a VPN and register for the service. We recommend NordVPN now 68% OFF!
- Download and install the VPN on your device
- Go to the Google Play Store and download the Fake GPS Location app
- Visit your Android device settings
- In settings, click About Phone
- Click Build Number seven times to turn on developer mode
- Head to Settings and click Developer options
- Click Mock Locations App or Allow Mock Locations
- Root your Android device
- Install a module called Mock Mock Locations
- Turn on Mock Mock Locations
- Turn on your VPN on your mobile device and choose a server in an area where you would like to play Pokemon GO
- Ensure your spoofing app is turned on and choose a place there as well
- Turn on Pokemon GO and start playing!
How to spoof Pokemon GO on iPhone or iPad
Here's how to spoof Pokemon GO position on iOS and catch them all! Be prepared to jailbreak your phone and install some third-party apps. Check out the step-by-step guide:
- Choose a VPN and register for the service. We think the best option for playing Pokemon GO is NordVPN now 68% OFF
- Download and install the VPN on your mobile device
- Jailbreak your device to change your whereabouts
- Visit Cydia, an app store for jailbroken devices
- Download tsProtector to hide your iPhone’s jailbroken status
- Download a iOS Roaming Guide or another app for location spoofing
- Ensure that tsProtector and the iOS Roaming Guide app are running
- Choose a spot in iOS Roaming Guide
- Turn on your phone VPN and ensure the spot matches the one you chose in the iOS Roaming Guide app
- You are all set to start playing Pokemon GO and catching all them Lechonks!
Top 4 Pokemon GO GPS spoofing apps
No time to read the detailed descriptions? Here are the Top 4 GPS spoofers that work with Pokemon GO.
- Fake GPS Location – the most popular Android spoofing app
- iOS Roaming Guide – a free app for Pokemon GO and Apple fans
- Fake GPS – contrary to Fake Taxi, it gets you to Pokemons
- Mock Locations (fake GPS path) – a premium option for spoofing Pokemon GO position
1. Fake GPS Location – Android
With over 10 million Google Play Store installs and a 4.6/5 rating, Fake GPS Location by Lexa is arguably the most popular and the best Pokemon spoofing app. Even though it's been updated back in 2018, it still works on both rooted and not rooted phones and easily changes your Pokemon GO account region. And the best part – it's totally free!
2. iOS Roaming Guide – iOS
Finding a good iOS location spoofing app is tough, especially one that doesn't require a computer. Most of them are outdated, poorly rated, and will probably get detected by Pokemon GO in no time. Luckily, there's one option in iOS Roaming Guide that still does the job. At the same time, it's totally free but requires a jailbroken iPhone. Naturally, you won't find this app on Apple's App Store. You'll need to install Cydia first to get iOS Roaming Guide. I've explained how to do this in a step-by-step guide below.
3. Fake GPS – Android
Another popular GPS spoofing app for Android, Fake GPS by ByteRev has been downloaded more than 5 million times. Additionally, it managed to keep a great rating of 4.3/5, earning users' trust, which probably has something to do with successfully spoofing Pokemon Go on vanilla and routed devices.
Contrary to Fake GPS Location, this app was updated in April 2021, which shows that its creators are still maintaining the product. However, some users may not like that Fake GPS contains ads and in-app purchases.
Before starting to spoof Pokemon GO, you'll need to allow Mock locations. Afterward, it becomes pretty simple due to the app's easy-to-use app design.
4. Mock Locations – Android
Mock Locations by Dvaoru is last but not least on my GPS spoofing apps for Pokémon Go list. With over 1 million downloads and a solid 4.0/5 rating on Google Play Store, it's a good option for any Android user. There's one important thing though – you must be OK with seeing adult-related ads.
And now comes probably the most important point – this app is not free.
While you get a 24-hour free trial that comes with all premium features, there's still no money-back guarantee. On the other hand, the app maker sometimes replies to comments on the Store and offers a refund. In any case, you should check thoroughly if Mock Locations unblocks Pokemon GO without any issues.
Pokemon GO spoofing apps that we don’t recommend
If you're going around the internet looking for ways how to spoof Pokemon GO locations, you might have noticed some modified Pokemon GO apps that allow you to easily spoof your location, and they do actually work – for a subscription fee.
However, there are also apps that are supposedly official and supposedly work, but in reality, it's just a scam. Here are some spoofing apps that you should avoid:
- Tutu App – you won’t find this app on Google Play Store, and the App Store has a similar application with a one-star rating. The website for the app looks shady at best, and it explicitly states that if the app doesn’t work, the problem is within the Android OS and iOS, not the app. Other sources state that the app asks for sensitive information.
- Fake GPS GO Location Spoofer Free – the application itself states that it won’t work with a phone that is not rooted. It also forwards you to a website for an app that you’ll have to pay for. Most likely, it’s a scam.
- PokeGo++ – you cannot get this app from app stores, and the website for downloading it is the same as for the Tutu App. The APK file is also extremely suspicious and most likely contains malware.
- Other apps that have bad reviews and ratings, ask for suspicious permissions and collect sensitive data. Stay away from the ones you can’t find on the Google Play Store or App Store, and if the website looks suspicious, close it.
Best VPNs for Pokemon GO
If you want to minimize the chances that Niantic will find out you're spoofing your whereabouts, a VPN can help. If your GPS coordinates and IP address match, there will be very little reason to doubt that your spoofed area is fake. Here are the best VPNs for the job.
- NordVPN – offers 5400 servers in 60 countries. It provides strong security and has a free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark – with 3200 servers in 95 locations, you’ll be able to spoof your Pokemon GO location easily. Surfshark also has a free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- IPVanish – strong security features and a 30-day money-back guarantee, as well as a free trial. IPVanish also has 2000 servers in 50 countries.
- ProtonVPN – a reliable free version, and even better-paid plans. ProtonVPN also offers 1700 servers in 63 countries.
- PureVPN – pretty good VPN for Pokemon GO spoofing with servers in as many as 78 locations, and a 31-day money-back guarantee.
1. NordVPN – the best VPN for Pokemon GO spoofing
|🖥️Servers/countries:||5400+ servers in 60 countries|
|🔥Coupons:||NordVPN coupon 68% OFF|
NordVPN is the best VPN for spoofing your Pokemon GO location. With its huge server fleet, you won't have trouble finding a server in your chosen country. Your real IP will stay hidden behind several locks and a strong encryption barrier. Plus, the fast speeds are guaranteed with cutting-edge tunneling protocols like NordLynx.
If you're worried that while you're catching Pokemon, your connection could be interrupted and expose your real IP address, the kill switch works on both iOS and Android. This means that whichever OS you're using for this game, you will be covered.
You will also be getting six simultaneous connections. So, you'll be able to share the remaining slots with your friends or family.
Read our NordVPN review to learn more.
- Great speed test scores
- SOCKS5 proxy
- P2P servers
- Independently-audited no-log policy
- 24/7 live chat
- Unblocks Netflix
- Split tunneling
- No free version
2. Surfshark – an excellent option for multi-device Pokemon hunting
|🌎Based in:||The Netherlands|
|🖥️Servers/countries:||3200+ servers in 95 countries|
|🔥Coupons:||Surfshark coupon 82% OFF + Antivirus & 2 months FREE|
Surfshark is one of the best options for the region-blocked Pokemon Go players. The reason for it is that the app includes a GPS spoofing feature. This means that you don't need anything else to spoof your position. You're getting everything in the same package – VPN and mock locations.
Not to mention that the app is impressive in other regards as well. With unlimited simultaneous connections, all Android phones in your household will be able to catch Pokemon around the world.
For more information, read our Surfshark review.
- Great speed test scores
- Low subscription price
- Unblocks several Netflix libraries
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Data breach alerts
- Has browser extensions
- Strict no-logs policy
- No Shadowsocks/Whitelister on Mac app
- No free version
3. IPVanish – an affordable VPN for Pokemon GO die-hards
|🖥️Servers/countries:||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|🔥Coupons:||IPVanish coupon 69% OFF|
IPVanish is one of the fan favorites: it doesn't cost too much but still provides plenty of useful features. No matter whether you're catching Pokemon or need a VPN for everyday browsing, you will be covered.
They manage a small fleet of 2000 servers, which still covers enough countries to be useful. Their speeds are consistent across the board, so you will be able to run games and don't experience lag or disconnects.
Finally, the service takes security seriously. They're using modern ciphers to encrypt your connection, it will be safe from anyone looking into what you're doing online.
Take a look at our IPVanish review for more details.
- Very cheap
- Huge selection of countries
- Supports multiple protocols
- Delivers decent internet connection speed
- Live support is available 24/7
- Doesn’t support SmartDNS
- Doesn’t unblock many notable streaming services
- Not good for those with regular routers
4. ProtonVPN – freemium Pokemon GO VPN
|🖥️Servers/countries:||1700 servers in 63 countries|
|🔥Coupons:||ProtonVPN coupon 50% OFF|
ProtonVPN is the best choice for those looking for a free option. You heard it right – the basic version of ProtonVPN is free forever and doesn't have any data caps.
Still, their paid plan unlocks quite a lot of other features. If you're paid user, you can also use your VPN for streaming, giving you more mileage out of service. There is also split tunneling, meaning that you can use a VPN only with Pokemon GO while routing the remaining traffic through a direct connection.
Security-wise, ProtonVPN is very transparent. All of their apps are open-source, and everyone can inspect their source code.
For more information, read our ProtonVPN review.
- Unlimited data and bandwith
- Free version
- Military-grade encryption
- OpenVPN protocol
- 7-day premium trial
- DNS leak prevention
- Intuitive user interface
- No Netflix for free users
- No live chat option
5. PureVPN – the best all-rounder VPN for Pokemon GO enthusiasts
|🌎Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|🖥️Servers/countries:||6500+ servers in 78+ countries|
|🔥Coupons:||PureVPN coupon 82% OFF|
If you're looking for a VPN for gaming, PureVPN is one of the best VPN services. If you're trying to spoof your location on Pokemon Go, this VPN supports split tunneling. On Android, you will be able to route only the game's traffic while connecting with everything else directly.
PureVPN supports IKEv2 which is a pretty fast tunneling protocol. You won't notice slowdowns or lag when you're visiting Pokestops via your spoofed area.
You will even be able to toggle between different network types: NAT or non-NAT. It's said that they might be a factor when Niantic is checking for your IP address.
Check out our PureVPN review for more information.
- AES-256 encryption
- Split-tunneling on Android
- Supports port forwarding
- 31-day money-back guarantee
- Vast selection of VPN protocols
- Doesn’t support WireGuard
- Not the fastest VPN on the market
- No free version
Pokemon GO location spoofing not working with a VPN?
One glitch that is commonly reported by Pokémon GO players is ‘error 12: failed to detect location’. There are a few reasons why Pokémon GO can't access your location, such as:
- Find my Device is enabled on your smartphone
- Your smartphone is unable to receive GPS signals due to your coordinates
- Mock Location is disabled on your smartphone settings
- Your VPN is leaking your IP address
Here's what you can do to solve these issues:
- Restart the location service on your smartphone. To do this, head to Settings and then to your Location options. From here, you can disable your location service and then enable it again.
- Clear the cache and data in your game.
- Connect to a different VPN server.
- enable IP leak protection on your VPN.
- Change your VPN provider
Our final thoughts
Pokemon GO is popular with millions of players around the world. There’s no reason why your position should hold you back when it comes to picking up your favorite Pokemon.
Changing your region on Pokemon GO with a VPN and spoofing your GPS will open up a whole new realm of possibilities. You’ll get access to hundreds of new cities and streets to explore virtually. What’s not to like about that?
Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to use a fake GPS with a region-blocked Pokemon GO. By combining a good VPN with a GPS spoofing app, you will be able to enjoy the full Pokemon GO experience, regardless of your whereabouts. Along with hiding your online activity, a VPN will also help to keep you safe from hackers and third parties. A reputable VPN uses powerful encryption which provides an added layer of protection as you play.
So, what are you waiting for? Install a VPN and spoofing app today, follow the instructions outlined in this article, and go catch ‘em all!
More VPN guides from Cybernews:
How to change the country in Google Play Store: download apps from other regions easily
How to unblock websites and access restricted content: here's our proven methods how to bypass censorship anywhere
How to change your location on Chrome: enjoy geo-restricted content on Chrome browser wherever you are
Change your App Store country: get applications from other countries without a hassle
How to change your location on Mac: use your Mac device to access blocked and restricted websites wherever you are
How to change servers in Valorant: use a VPN to connect to a different server region in Valorant
Is it still possible to spoof a Pokemon GO location in 2022?
Yes, it’s possible to change your Pokemon GO location in 2022. However, you will need to install a GPS spoofing app. If you have an Android phone, you will also need to go into Developer Mode. If you have an iPhone, you will need to jailbreak your device to spoof the Pokemon GO location.
How do you change the GPS location on Pokemon GO?
To change your GPS location on Pokemon GO, you will need to download a GPS spoofing app and a VPN such as . Keep in mind that most GPS spoofing apps require jailbreaking or rooting your phone, which can be dangerous. Proceed with caution.
Can I spoof my location on Pokemon GO with a free VPN?
Yes, it’s possible to spoof your Pokemon GO location with a free VPN, but we don’t recommend that. Free VPNs are not very reliable and they might sell your data to third parties. We recommend looking into some VPNs with free trials and money-back guarantees, such as .
What is the best VPN to use for Pokemon GO?
is the best VPN for spoofing your Pokemon GO location. It offers x servers in x countries and numerous security features such as CyberSec and Threat Protection. It also has a free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out for free without any risks.