When it comes to the digital landscape, the Netherlands is a fairly safe country. There are no major restrictions or senseless censorship. But like many other internet users, the Dutch might want to use the best Netherlands VPN for a few simple reasons.
Firstly, wherever you are, cybercriminals will always try to find a weak spot and take advantage of your data. Additionally, loads of online services and platforms are only accessible in certain regions, unless you have a specific tool to change your IP address. Lastly, you should be concerned about your privacy as your internet service provider (ISP), and in some cases, the government can see what you’re up to online.
Luckily, these issues are easily avoidable with a virtual private network. A VPN can encrypt your data, hide your IP address, and spoof your whereabouts. That way, you’ll stay secure and confidential. Plus, you’ll finally have an opportunity to enjoy previously restricted content. So, let’s see what the best VPNs for the Netherlands have to offer.
Top 5 best Netherlands VPNs
- NordVPN – best VPN for the Netherlands
- Surfshark VPN – Netherlands VPN with no device limit
- IPVanish – excellent VPN for torrenting in the Netherlands
- Atlas VPN – Netherlands VPN with free servers
- PureVPN – cheap and effective VPN for the Netherlands
📢 LIMITED OFFER: Get NordVPN, now 63% OFF!
What to look for in a VPN for the Netherlands?
- Local servers. Suppose you want to access local content and get top-tier connectivity. In that case, you’ll need a virtual private network with servers in the Netherlands. Most of the best VPNs from our list have at least a few Dutch servers.
- Guaranteed security. If you care about your online safety, you need a VPN that offers reliable encryption, a robust kill switch, and IP & DNS leak protection. Moreover, other features like malware blockers and MultiHop are nice add-ons.
- Total privacy. Your ISP can track your every step on the web. Plus, the Netherlands is a part of the Nine Eyes alliance. That means it collects and might share your data with other intelligence agencies. Therefore, a no-logs VPN could make you virtually anonymous and untraceable online.
- Streaming capabilities. A VPN should easily bypass geo-blocks and unlock more content from streaming platforms like Netflix, HBO Max, and Disney Plus. More so, it should give you access to region-restricted services like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, or Paramount+.
- Additional features. A top-tier VPN for the Netherlands should come packed with add-ons that will make your web adventures a lot smoother. You should look for features like Smart DNS, server obfuscation, split tunneling, and so on.
The best VPNs for the Netherlands – our detailed list
When picking a VPN for the Netherlands, you have to look into determining factors like privacy, security, performance, affordability, and other features. Lucky for you, we did the heavy lifting and selected the Top VPNs for the Netherlands. So, all you have to do is pick a VPN that fits your needs the best.
1. NordVPN – the top VPN for the Netherlands
|Servers/countries:||5500+ servers in 60 countries|
|Current deal:||🔥Get NordVPN with 63% OFF🔥|
The best VPN for the Netherlands by far is NordVPN. It’s an industry-leading VPN that offers exceptional security and privacy features, phenomenal connectivity, and over 200 Dutch servers. In general, it covers 60 countries with 5500+ pieces of hardware.
When it comes to performance, NordLynx tunneling protocol ensures top-notch speeds in the Netherlands and elsewhere. Plus, there’s a variety of specialized servers, such as Double VPN, P2P-optimized, onion over VPN, and obfuscated servers.
Streaming with this service won’t be an issue either. NordVPN can easily bypass geo-blocks, so you can unlock extensive libraries on Netflix, Viaplay, HBO Max, and other platforms. You’ll also have access to Dutch content if you’re traveling.
Safety-wise, NordVPN combines AES-256 and ChaCha20 encryptions for impenetrable security. The provider also offers a robust kill switch and reliable IP & DNS leak protection. More so, Threat Protection will fight off malicious software, trackers, and rootkits. And your confidentiality is in safe hands, as NordVPN is based in privacy-respecting Panama and has a strict zero-logs policy.
So, if you want to protect up to 6 devices, grab a NordVPN coupon and get a subscription for as little as $3.49/month. Plus, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee and a week-long free trial version (Android-only).
To read more about this VPN provider, check out our NordVPN review.
- Loads of Dutch servers
- Independently-audited no-logs policy
- Magnificent security features
- P2P-optimized servers
- Mind-blowing performance
- Unblocks loads of streaming platforms
- 7-day free trial available
- No free version
2. Surfshark VPN – Netherlands VPN with amazing coverage
|Based in:||The Netherlands|
|Servers/countries||3200+ servers in 100 countries|
|Simultaneous connections:||No limit|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 82% OFF Surfshark + 2 months FREE🔥|
Surfshark is yet another excellent choice with plenty of servers in the Netherlands. The provider offers a great bundle of features and unlimited simultaneous connections. Plus, the WireGuard tunneling protocol and the Nexus technology guarantee supersonic speeds.
Your privacy will be in safe hands, as the service has a strict zero-logs policy and RAM-only servers. Furthermore, the AES-256 cipher and a reliable kill will ensure your security online. And if that’s not enough, you can boost your safety with the Surfshark One package.
When it comes to entertainment, this service packs quite a punch. Surfshark can easily circumvent curbs and unlock extensive content libraries on Netflix, Disney Plus, Crunchyroll, and other streaming services. You can use the Smart DNS feature and watch your favorite shows on devices that don’t support VPNs natively. And if torrenting is your main priority, the provider allows P2P-file sharing on all servers.
NoBorders and Camouflage modes will come in handy if you’re traveling to highly-restricted countries. They will help bypass VPN blocks, avoid deep packet inspection, and give access to blocked content.
Surfshark lets you freely explore the vast oceans of the internet for a meager price of $2.30/month. Or, if you’re not keen on a long-term commitment, try the service out with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Learn more about it in our Surfshark VPN review.
- No device limit
- Impressive performance
- Plenty of servers in the Netherlands
- Exceptional global presence
- Great for bypassing geo-blocks
- Very affordable long-term plans
- 7-day free trial available
- No split tunneling on iOS
3. IPVanish – Netherlands VPN with extra security
|Server/countries||2000+ servers in 50 countries|
|Simultaneous connections:||No limit|
|Current deal:||🔥Get 66% OFF IPVanish!🔥|
IPVanish offers robust safety features and stable and fast connectivity, which makes it a great Netherlands VPN. The AES-256 encryption, a kill switch, and IP & DNS leak protection will ensure your online security. And the provider pledges not to compromise your confidentiality with a no-logs policy. Best of all, you’ll get VIPRE antimalware software if you’re a first-time subscriber.
It’s worth mentioning that apart from the Netherlands, IPVanish has 2000+ servers in 50 countries. Moreover, the provider utilizes the WireGuard tunneling protocol, which ensures top-tier speeds. Also, this service is pretty good for streaming as it can unblock major platforms like Netflix, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer.
In addition, you can utilize the SOCKS5 proxy for faster torrenting. Split tunneling will also come in handy, as it allows you to manage the apps that use a VPN connection. And if you need to bypass VPN blocks at schools, workplaces, or restricted countries, activate the Scramble OpenVPN traffic.
While there’s no free version, you can test out IPVanish with a 30-day cash-back guarantee. The plan prices start at $3.99/month if you get an IPVanish discount code.
Read IPVanish review to find out more.
- VIPRE antivirus for first-time subscribers
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Great connectivity
- Excellent for torrenting
- Solid speeds
- Based in the US
4. Atlas VPN – streaming-oriented VPN for the Netherlands
|Servers/countries:||750+ servers in 38 countries|
|Simultaneous connections:||No limit|
|Current deal:||🔥Get Atlas VPN, now 81% OFF!🔥|
Atlas VPN is a beginner-friendly VPN that offers Dutch IP addresses. Overall, it has 750+ pieces of hardware in38 countries. And you can use it on as many devices as you want, thanks to unlimited simultaneous connections.
You’ll get all security essentials and MultiHop+. This feature adds an extra layer of security and privacy by tunneling your connection over multiple rotating VPN locations. More so, Tracker Blocker will fend off malware, unsolicited ads, and rootkits, so you’ll stay safe while online. And even though Atlas VPN is based in the US, it has a strict zero-logs policy.
On a less serious note, Atlas offers streaming-optimized servers for a trouble-free binging experience. Of course, the provider will help you bypass geo-blocks when using Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, or other streaming services. Lastly, the service allows P2P-file sharing on all servers.
For safe internet adventures, take Atlas VPN with you. The subscription prices start at $2.05/month if you grab a special Atlas VPN coupon. Plus, you can always take advantage of the month-long money-back guarantee and the freemium version.
Get more info about this service in our Atlas VPN review.
- One of the cheapest VPNs
- Servers in the Netherlands
- Streaming-optimized servers
- Great security features
- Stable and fast connectivity
- Based in the US
5. PureVPN – Netherlands VPN with a vast server fleet
|Based in:||British Virgin Islands|
|Servers/countries:||6500+ servers in 78 countries|
|Simultaneous connections:||10 devices|
|Current deal:||🔥Get PureVPN, now 87% OFF🔥|
If you’re looking for the cheapest reliable option, PureVPN is a great choice. Undoubtedly, it has servers in the Netherlands and offers incredible speeds. Not to mention, a strict zero-logs policy will ensure your anonymity online.
Furthermore, PureVPN is a provider with the most extensive server fleet on the list. The service covers 78 countries with 6500+ pieces of hardware. As the provider utilizes the WireGuard tunneling protocol, you can enjoy Netflix, BBC iPlayer, or even Hulu within seconds and have a flawless streaming experience without intrusive lagging.
Getting large P2P files shouldn’t be a problem, either. Safety-wise, PureVPN uses trustworthy AES-256 encryption, so hackers and snoopers will have a hard time getting to your data. Not to mention, a functional kill switch feature will protect you if your VPN connection drops unexpectedly.
Get a Netherlands IP address with PureVPN for as little as $1.49/month. Alternatively, you can try the free trial version for $0.99/month and take advantage of the 31-day money-back guarantee.
You can read the full PureVPN review for more info.
- Servers in the Netherlands
- Up to 10 simultaneous connections
- Great for privacy and security
- Excellent speeds
- No free trial
How we selected and tested these Netherland VPNs
We were very thorough when picking the best VPNs for the Netherlands. Here’s what we looked for when testing dozens of VPNs:
- Geo-block bypassing capabilities. We’ve connected with VPNs and checked if they can open different Netflix libraries as well as other geo-restricted platforms like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Disney+.
- Performance. Connectivity quality is essential for VPNs. Thus, with the help of our VPN speed test comparison, we were able to pick the best Dutch VPNs.
- Servers. We made sure that the Top 5 VPNs have servers in the Netherlands for maximum connectivity. Plus, we made sure that they are fast and secure.
- Privacy. We only listed providers that have strict zero-logs policies. Additionally, we examined if they are regularly audited by third parties.
- Security. Services with industry-leading security features ended up higher on the list. We also made sure that they can surely deal with digital calamities.
- Torrenting. As Dutch ISP are blocking torrenting sites, we made sure that you can access them and download files swiftly with a reliable P2P VPN.
Why do you need a VPN for the Netherlands
VPNs are great for safety. However, there are plenty of other benefits of using a virtual private network. Here’s how you can make the most out of a Dutch VPN:
- Watch geo-blocked content in the Netherlands. A VPN will change your location and bypass restrictions. Thus, you’ll be able to watch shows and movies that were previously unavailable on platforms like Netflix, Disney+, or Crunchyroll.
- Stream Dutch content elsewhere. If you’re traveling, a virtual private network with Netherlands servers will help you access local streaming services, such as ViaPlay, Ziggo TV, and others. So, you won’t have to worry about missing an episode or two.
- Avoid privacy breaches. Your ISP knows everything about your web adventures. Plus, snoopers might take advantage of you if you don’t take extra precautions. Luckily a VPN will hide your tracks, so no one (besides you) knows what you’re doing.
- Bypass torrenting site blocks. Some P2P file-sharing sites are banned in the Netherlands. But you can simply connect to other servers with a VPN, bypass the curbs, and torrent without any trouble.
- Improve gaming experience. A top-tier gaming VPN can help you connect to different game servers in other areas. Plus, it might reduce lagging and high ping.
- Amplify security. If you want to avoid hacking attempts, a VPN with AES-256 encryption will make it basically impossible to get to your data. Additionally, some services offer ad and malware blockers which is a nice safety bonus.
Best Netherland VPNs compared
Now that you’re familiar with the providers, it’s time to compare and see which VPN is the best for the Netherlands:
|NordVPN||Surfshark VPN||IPVanish||Atlas VPN||PureVPN|
|Free version||Yes, 7-day||Yes, 7-day||No||Yes, unlimited||No|
|Streaming||Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube||Netflix, BBC iPlayer, YouTube|
|Servers/countries||5500+ servers in 60 countries||3200+ servers in 100 countries||2000+ servers in 50 countries||750+ servers in 38 countries||6500+ servers in 78 countries|
|Has Dutch servers||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Review||NordVPN review||Surfshark VPN review||IPVanish review||Atlas VPN review||PureVPN review|
How to get a Netherland IP address with a VPN
Getting a Netherlands IP address is a walkover. Even if you’re not super computer-savvy, setting up a VPN and using it is super easy. But if you need some extra guidance, we’ve created an easy-to-follow guide below:
- Pick a reliable VPN and choose a plan that fits your needs the best. Our frontrunner is NordVPN.
- After installation, launch the app and check out if important features like the kill switch are on.
- Connect to a server in the Netherlands.
- For torrenting, pick P2P-optimized servers.
That’s it! Now you can safely browse, stream, and torrent as much as you want!
Internet censorship in the Netherlands
The Netherlands' digital landscape is relatively peaceful, with no significant restrictions and censorship. Actually, The Freedom House has rated Dutch internet freedoms 97/100. Additionally, it’s one of the top countries with the most broadband subscriptions per 100 people.
However, the Dutch government is waging war against illegal torrenting sites. Most ISPs have to block the website of The Pirate Bay (and other P2P websites) due to copyright infringement. If you get caught torrenting, you will get fined. Luckily, you can avoid almost any issues by hiding your IP and encrypting your data with a P2P-friendly VPN.
Torrenting in the Netherlands
In general, torrenting is legal in the Netherlands. However, what you download, not how you download, determines the legality. As in many other countries, if you get copyrighted material through P2P services, you might get fined. Additionally, most ISPs block major torrenting sites, like The Pirate Bay, LimeTorrents, or KickassTorrents.
While we don’t condone piracy, we want to keep our readers safe. So, to avoid any troubles, you should use a VPN. For example, NordVPN will hide your IP address and encrypt your data. That way, you’ll be virtually untrackable on the web. Thus, neither the ISP nor other snoopers will see what you’re doing and downloading.
Netherlands content you can watch with a VPN
One of the main reasons why you might want to get a VPN is to access loads more content online. And with a superb Netherlands VPN, you’ll have the opportunity to watch local and overseas shows and movies.
Thus, here are just a few Dutch streaming platforms that you’ll have access to globally:
- Netflix Netherlands
- Ziggo TV
- NL ZIET
- WOW Presents Plus
- Magellan TV
- MTV Netherlands
- Net 5
- SBS 6
And with a top-shelf streaming VPN, you can unblock even more services and platforms. Meanwhile, you’ll be protected by next-gen encryption. So, the only thing you’ll have to worry about is what to watch next.
Can I use a free VPN in the Netherlands?
Getting a totally free VPN can be tricky – you can never know what you’ll get. No-pay services often breach your privacy by collecting your data and selling it to third parties. Moreover, it can actually be a malicious app ready to wreak havoc on your devices. Apart from that, free VPNs use outdated features and will slow you down.
If you can’t spare any cash, a more reliable option is freemium VPNs. While they have fewer features than their premium counterparts, these services are safe to use. They will ensure your security and privacy online. Among the best ones are Atlas VPN and Proton VPN.
While there are no internet restrictions in the Netherlands, you need a trustworthy Dutch VPN if you want to avoid digital threats and privacy breaches. Moreover, it’s a great solution for unblocking geographically restricted websites and services.
While there are a few reliable VPNs for the Netherlands, NordVPN stands out as the most versatile and the best service. Apart from keeping you totally secure and private, it will unblock various blocked services and platforms. Plus, torrenting with a VPN will be a lot safer and more pleasant experience.
So, get yourself a reliable Netherlands VPN and enjoy a trouble-free experience while navigating the world wide web.
More VPN guides from Cybernews
What’s the best VPN for the Netherlands?
The best VPN for the Netherlands is undoubtedly NordVPN. The service provides phenomenal security and privacy features, which will keep you safe online. Additionally, it offers loads of servers globally (the Netherlands included), top-tier speeds, and amazing device compatibility. Plus, it’s great for torrenting and streaming.
Which VPN has Netherlands servers?
NordVPN, Surfshark VPN, IPVanish, Atlas VPN, and PureVPN have servers in the Netherlands. While there are other providers that have servers in this country, they don’t offer great benefits like unlimited simultaneous connections, Smart DNS, or additional ad blockers.
Do you need a VPN in the Netherlands?
Yes, using a VPN in the Netherlands is a wise decision. It will keep you secure and private while browsing the web. Moreover, it will open up extensive streaming platform libraries. Not to mention, the torrenting process will be a lot quicker and safe.
Are VPNs legal in the Netherlands?
Yes, VPNs are totally legal in the Netherlands. The Dutch government doesn't impose any restrictions. Thus, travelers and locals can use virtual private networks freely.