How to change your location on a Mac in 2023
Do you have your Mac and want to finally watch those popular Netflix US shows, get cheaper flight deals, or simply secure your connection while traveling abroad? Either way, you will need to change your MacBook location and the easiest way is to get a VPN.
If you think setting one up is strictly for tech experts, you’re very wrong – VPNs are as simple to use as any of your favorite everyday apps. Also, they’re nothing like dodgy proxy servers.
In fact, by connecting to a secure overseas VPN server you can get a brand new IP address and easily change location on Mac. For that, you’ll find extensive guides down below!
How to change Mac location with VPN?
- Download a VPN that works with Macs - NordVPN is best, now 63% OFF.
- Install NordVPN on your Mac.
- Connect to a server in your chosen location.
- Get access to all new content, websites, and services.
Why do you need a VPN on Mac?
VPNs are essential tools that offer features focussed on cybersecurity, privacy, and more access to online content. There are many benefits of using a VPN on your Apple Mac computer.
First of all, a secure VPN can encrypt all your traffic, keeping it protected from hackers, cyber scammers, snooping ISPs, and even the authorities. That means you're free to do whatever you like online without having to worry about digital threats.
VPNs also get you access to more content across the web. Popular streaming sites like Netflix and Amazon Prime often have different content libraries in different areas. But due to licensing restrictions, you’ll only be able to access the content of your region, frustrating if there's a show you want to watch on Netflix US, but you're in the UK.
By connecting to a new server on a VPN, you can set your IP address to a completely different country. Then you’ll bypass these geo-blocks and get access to all sorts of new content.
Recommended VPNs to change Mac location
Even though there are numerous VPNs available on the market, not all of them are capable of providing top-class services. Therefore, you’ll need one of the best VPNs for Mac to change your MacBook location.
For this reason, we have tested at least a dozen of different providers in terms of their unblocking capabilities, connection stability, pricing, and security features. NordVPN showed the best results in all categories and it’s ultimately the best option to change Mac location.
- Huge server fleet
- User-friendly macOS app
- Online protection
Why should you change your Mac location?
There are several reasons to change your Mac location. From discounts on services to gaining access to lots more content, let’s take a look at the bonuses:
- Boost your content options. Ever had the feeling there’s nothing left for you on Netflix? All the big streaming platforms, such as Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video, have different content libraries in different countries. So something you want to watch on Netflix might only be available on the US site. With a VPN, you can bypass geo-blocks and get into any version of any streaming site. As a result, you’ll never run out of shows again.
- Access completely blocked streaming services. While you get multiple global versions of Netflix, some streaming services are only available in one country! With a VPN, you can get into sites like BBC iPlayer and HBO Max from anywhere in the world. VPNs are amazing when you’re traveling and want to catch up on your favorite show.
- Traveling. Maybe you need to check up on a project while on holiday? Then, you’ll need to change your location to get into your secure work network. A VPN will do just this.
- Get better deals. Did you know hotels and even airlines often charge different rates in different countries? Next time you’re going abroad, you can change location with a VPN and see if you can get better rates on your flights and stay - you could end up saving a lot of money.
- Change location on your apps. Most of your everyday apps - such as Snapchat, Pokemon GO, and Tinder - check where you are in the world based on your IP address and show you specific content accordingly. Whether you’re sharing, gaming, or dating, a different location can get you access to new content, new games, and new people.
- Privacy. Facebook, Instagram, Google - all of those sites you use every day track your location. Get a bit of your privacy back and hide your location with a VPN.
How to change your Mac location without a VPN
Can you change your location on a Mac without using a VPN? Yes, you can, but your options aren’t brilliant.
Firstly, here’s how to manually change your network location on Mac:
- Open System Preferences from your Mac dock.
- Go to Network and find Locations at the top.
- Expand the dropdown menu and select Edit Locations.
- Press the Add button (+) and type the name of the location.
- Press Done and then save changes with the Apply button.
In case it didn’t help, you can try using one of the following:
- Tor browser. It allows you to change locations but if you’re more familiar with the likes of Chrome and Firefox, it might not offer a great user experience.
- Proxy service. It helps to divert your traffic through its server to show the website you’re trying to visit a different IP address. But proxy sites are inconsistent, nor do they include the security and privacy of a VPN, so you open yourself up to hackers and cyber threats.
Ultimately, the best method of changing your location on a Mac is to use a VPN.
How to change location on your Mac browser
Whether you use Chrome, Firefox, or Safari, changing your location on any of these browsers is easy when you’re using a Mac and a trusted VPN. We have prepared dedicated guides for each browser:
How to change location on Chrome
Changing your location on Chrome is a quick and easy process. Choose a Chrome VPN and follow these steps:
- Pick a VPN with a fully functional Chrome extension - we recommend NordVPN.
- Complete the signup process and install the VPN plugin on Chrome.
- Connect to a new server to change your location.
- Your Chrome location has now changed!
How to change location on Firefox
You can easily switch your location with a VPN for Firefox. Check out this guide to find detailed instructions:
- Get a VPN that offers a Firefox extension. We’ve tried NordVPN, and it works well.
- Signup to NordVPN and set up its Firefox extension.
- Change your location by connecting to a new server.
- You now have a new Firefox location!
How to change location on Safari
If you want to change your location, you should get a Safari VPN and follow these guidelines:
- Find a VPN with an excellent macOS app – like NordVPN.
- Download the NordVPN app to your Mac.
- Once it’s all set up, find a new server to connect to a new location.
- All done! Your Mac IP address will now show a different country.
How to change location on Mac to USA
If you’re residing in another country and want change your Mac location to the US, here’s what you need to do:
- Get a VPN for MacBook. NordVPN has a user-friendly MacOS app.
- Install it and register an account.
- Then, connect to a server in the US.
- You’re done!
How to change region on MacBook Air
It only takes a few minutes to change your MacBook Air region with the help of a VPN. For that, follow these steps:
- Download a VPN for MacBook Air. NordVPN works well with all types of Macs.
- Complete the installation and registration process.
- Pick and connect to a server in a country of your choice.
- You’re all set!
Using a VPN but still can’t change location on Mac?
The VPNs we’ve recommended are all top-quality products, but sometimes even the best tech can throw up a problem. Some potential issues could be:
- The VPN isn’t able to bypass certain geo-blocks
- Your web browser cookies are showing your location
- Your macOS might need updating
- You’ve picked the wrong VPN server
If your VPN isn’t working, there are a few troubleshooting tips to try out.
- Clear all your cookies and cache
- Try a different web browser
- Find a different server to connect to
- Reach out to your VPN’s support team
If you’re still having troubles, perhaps try a different VPN. Remember, all the VPNs we’ve recommended include 30-day money-back guarantees, so you can make sure they do the job you need without making a financial commitment.
Can you change your Mac location with a free VPN?
You can try to use a free VPN to change your Mac location, but chances are you won’t get very far. Free VPNs often disappoint with a lack of features, servers, and quality.
However, our top-rated paid VPNs all allow you to enjoy a risk-free trial in the shape of their 30-day money-back guarantee. So you can sign up for a subscription, then should you decide you no longer wish to use the VPN after 30-days, cancel your subscription and get a hassle-free refund.
Surfshark is a secure VPN service provider with an excellent reputation. It has a free 7-day trial for macOS that you can claim to change your location.Try Surfshark for free
Changing location on a Mac – the final verdict
Changing your location on a Mac comes with many uses. Expanding your entertainment options, accessing work from abroad, shielding your activity from ISPs, and protecting your data are just some of the main benefits. And the easy way to do all this and more is to sign up for a recommended VPN.
VPNs are easy to use, affordable, and enhance your digital experience. From keeping you safe from cyber threats to helping you unblock content you wouldn’t otherwise have access to, with a VPN on your Mac, you can change your location in a flash, and it won’t even cost you a bomb or take ages to set up.
Got any questions about using a VPN with your Mac? Give us a shout in the comment section, and feel free to share your tips too!
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
How to change location on Apple App Store: set a new location in Apple’s app store
How to change location on Facebook: set a new location on Facebook
How to change location on Tinder: use Tinder in a different country
How to change location on TikTok: change your TikTok location to anywhere in the world
How to watch Peacock TV from anywhere: access Peacock from anywhere in the world
How to change location on Snapchat: change your Snapchat location with a VPN
Is it legal to change your location on your Mac?
Yes, it’s completely legal to change your location on your Mac. You’re free to use a VPN to do this without having to worry about breaking any laws or getting in trouble with your ISP or the authorities.
Does your Mac track your location?
Yes, Macs do sometimes track your location and movements. This can be easily turned off, though. Just go to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > click the Lock icon > then, switch off Significant Locations in the Location Services menu. Alternatively, just change your IP address with a VPN to hide your activity and movements.
How can you tell if a VPN is working on your Mac?
If you’ve set up a VPN and have connected to a new server, try to access a website that is usually blocked, like HBO Max. If you find that you've now got access, the VPN has done its job and successfully changed your IP address. Of course, you should always use a reliable VPN for this.
Can you unblock streaming content by changing location on a Mac?
Yes, this is the best method of unblocking streaming content. By using a VPN to hide your IP address, you can bypass geo-blocks on all the major streaming sites, including Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, and many more.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked