Netflix is one of the biggest names in the world of streaming entertainment. And because American Netflix has the largest catalogue of content in the world, it’s not surprising that so many people want to watch it. But unfortunately, Netflix content is geo-restricted, which means you can only view the content library that’s available in your country. If you attempt to log in to Netflix US from another country, you will likely just get an error message.
Luckily, you can get around Netflix’s country-specific content locks pretty easily. All you need is a VPN that masks your device’s location.
Here’s everything you need to know to watch American Netflix from anywhere in the world on a number of devices.
How to access American Netflix – a quick guide
It is very easy to set up a VPN and log in to the US version of Netflix. In fact you can do it in a few steps. Here’s how:
- Choose a reliable and trustworthy VPN. We like NordVPN, as its fast speeds make it ideal for streaming HD content.
- Download and set up your VPN. This will just require entering some personal info and setting your login details.
- Pick a US server. You can use your VPN to choose the new location of your device. So, to access Netflix US, you will need a US location.
- Log in to your Netflix account. Of course, to access any version of Netflix you’ll need a Netflix account, so you will have to set one up if you don’t already have one.
- You’re in! Provided you have set your VPN to a US server, and logged in to your Netflix, you should see a whole new library of content.
Why do you need to use a VPN to watch American Netflix?
All the titles and content available on Netflix is geo-restricted due to licensing agreements. As such, Netflix must restrict access to certain entertainment to specific locations. So, if you’re based in the UK, or Brazil, for example, you won’t be able to access Netflix US.
Of course, lots of content is shared over all locations. But each country’s content library tends to be different. So, a film that isn’t available on Netflix UK might be on Netflix US, or vice versa.
This is where a VPN comes in handy. VPNs are traditionally used for security purposes. But they also provide a great way of bypassing geo-restricted websites and content.
So, how do you pick the right VPN? There are some key features to look out for to make sure you have chosen the best VPN provider for accessing US Netflix:
- Fast connection speeds to get the best streaming quality
- Access to a lot of global servers to help you connect to the service you want
- Support for your device, whether you are using Windows, Android or iOS
- Trial period or money-back guarantee, in case you can’t connect to Netflix or simply don’t need to keep using it
- Good tech support for any queries you may have
How to watch American Netflix on your device
We all have a number of different devices we like to use. Some people like streaming shows on their smartphone or tablet, while others like to watch on their desktop computer or laptop. You can even connect your VPN to your smart TV with Chromecast or streaming stick, so you can watch with the whole family.
Let’s take a look at how you can access Netflix US on a range of different devices, with useful step-by-step guides to help you along the way.
How to watch on your PC
Whether you’re using Windows or Mac on a desktop or laptop, it’s easy to set up a VPN and get access to American Netflix. Here’s how:
- Choose a VPN and download it on to your computer. Most VPNs work well on both Mac and Windows.
- Follow the easy installation steps to set it up on your computer.
- Once it’s set up, go into the VPN and find an appropriate US server.
- Log in to your Netflix account and start watching a load of fresh content!
How to watch on your smartphone or tablet
Whether you’re on a smartphone or a tablet, Android or iOS, a VPN will be able to get you connected to Netflix US from anywhere in the world.
- Find a VPN with a mobile app that works on your smartphone or tablet, and supports Android or iOS.
- Download the app and launch it on your device.
- Find a US server and connect.
- Open your Netflix app and start watching a whole new library of content.
How to watch on Amazon Fire TV and Amazon Fire Stick
Amazon offers some innovative ways to watch television, such as its USB Amazon Fire Stick and Amazon Fire TV. Both products plug into the HDMI port of your smart TV and give you access to TV apps, such as Prime Video and Netflix. But, just like on any other device, your Netflix is geo-restricted. So can you use a VPN on Amazon Fire products to watch Netflix US? Yes, you can! Here’s how:
- Head to the Amazon Appstore and find a compatible VPN. (Check our list of best VPNs for Fire Stick & Fire TV)
- Load up the VPN on your Amazon Fire device.
- Find a US server, and connect.
- Log into Netflix and start streaming from its US content library!
How to watch on your PlayStation or Xbox
Games consoles, like Sony’s PlayStation and the Microsoft Xbox, do a lot more than just play games. They are fully functioning media hubs that you can use to download a range of apps, including Netflix.
But again, the Netflix you download on to your games console will be geo-restricted. So can you get around it? Yes, but it will involve your internet router. If you download a VPN and connect it to your router, all your devices that go through the router, including your games console, will show your new chosen IP address. Here’s how to do it:
- Find a VPN that works with your router.
- Set up the VPN and connect it to your router.
- Choose a US server and connect.
- Start up your console and download the Netflix app.
- Take a look at your new content library and pick something to watch.
How to watch on your Android TV
These days, smart TVs mean you’re no longer limited to satellite and terrestrial channels. You can use a smart TV to download apps and connect to your favourite streaming content. If you have an Android TV, here’s how you can use a VPN to access Netflix US:
- Head to the Android TV app store and find a VPN.
- Load up the VPN, find a US server and connect.
- Open up the Netflix app and check out a whole new selection of shows and movies.
If you have a smart TV that doesn’t connect to the Android app store, or you want to watch through Apple TV, you can still use a VPN to get to US Netflix. For these devices we recommend using the router method highlighted above for games consoles.
How to watch American Netflix from different locations in the world
Netflix is one of the world’s biggest and best streaming services. It has a vast content library that differs from country to country, with new titles being removed and added across different regions on a daily basis.
Netflix US has the biggest content library of all the regions, but it’s geo-restricted so you can only watch it in America, unless you connect a VPN.
How to watch in Canada
Netflix Canada has a great selection of shows, movies and original content. But what if you want to watch a show that’s only available on American Netflix? All you need to do is download a VPN.
A good VPN will mask your IP address and enable you to connect to a US server. Then, all you have to do is log in to your Netflix account and you will have access to Netflix US.
How to watch in Australia
Like most regions, Australia has its very own version of Netflix. But what if you want to hop on to American Netflix to watch a show that’s only available in the US?
Well, usually you would get an error message, as all Netflix content is geo-restricted. But you can bypass this with a VPN. If you connect to a VPN and connect to a US server, Netflix will think you’re in the US and will give you access to that specific content library.
How to watch in Europe
Europe has some great original content on its Netflix regions. From Netflix Sweden to Netflix Germany and Netflix Netherlands, you get access to great shows and movies wherever you are in Europe. But what if you want to watch something on Netflix US?
Wherever you are in the world, getting round Netflix’s geo-restrictions and accessing its US content library uses the same method. You just need a VPN to mask your IP address. It’s really simple, you just download a VPN, connect to a US server and then log in to your Netflix account. Job done.
What if you have a VPN and still can’t access American Netflix?
The solutions outlined in this article are all really easy to implement and work well to get around Netflix’s region-specific content library geo-restrictions.
But even with a great VPN set up, sometimes you might still not be able to connect. You may get an error message in Netflix that says something like, “You appear to be using an unblocker or proxy services. If so, please turn these services off and try again. Visit netflix.com/proxy for more help.”
If this happens, here are some simple troubleshooting tips to get connected again.
Clear your cookies and cache
If you have cookies and data stored in your browser, it’s possible that can lead to Netflix discovering your true location.
So if you do log in to Netflix while using a VPN and find you still can’t get access, the first thing to try is clearing your cache.
To do this on a desktop, just open up your browser and head to Advanced Settings. Then, just select the option that says delete cookies and data.
If you want to do the same on a mobile device, just head to the Storage Settings on your smartphone or tablet, find the cache setting and delete your cookies and data.
Once you’ve done that, go back to Netflix and you might find that you’re all good to access Netflix US.
Connect to a different US server location
Netflix, HBO or any other streaming service usually block servers that are used by VPNs, and this could be a reason why you aren’t able to connect. All you need to do is connect to another US server and see if that makes a difference.
A good VPN will have lots of different servers to connect to. So you should be able to get into American Netflix pretty easily.
Get in touch with VPN customer support
If all else fails, speak to your chosen VPN’s support team.
The best VPNs usually have great customer support systems in place, such as 24/7 live messenger. So, reach out to a member of the team and they should be able to help you out in a matter of minutes.
How can you watch US Netflix in Germany?
If you’re in Germany and want to watch American Netflix, you just need a Netflix account and a VPN. Use your VPN to select a US server and when you log in to your Netflix you should see a whole new content library.
How can you watch Netflix USA from the UK?
You can access US Netflix from the UK with a reliable VPN, like NordVPN. This will make Netflix think you’re watching from the US by hiding your real IP address and showing an American location.
Is watching American Netflix from another country illegal?
No, it’s not illegal to watch Netflix US from somewhere else in the world. It goes against Netflix’s license agreements, but you won’t be breaking any laws. Netflix tries to stop people by blocking certain VPNs, so the trick is to find a reliable option. We have used NordVPN and haven’t had any problems logging on to US Netflix.